Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2506 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Does DC NEED another Green Lantern title?

Avatar image for craig_lovecraft
    Craig Lovecraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Craig Lovecraft

Personally, I feel that adding a third Green Lantern title could be too much. Blackest Night recently ended, which regularly featured members from every Corps. Brightest Day is now starting up and we know the Corps will make appearances in it. But with Green Lantern, GLC, and the twice monthly Brightest Day, I think adding Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors might be a little overkill. Obviously, DC is trying to capitalize on the popularity of Green Lantern, and people could argue about how the Batman characters have around 10 books between them. I’m a big fan of Green Lantern, but I’m hoping it doesn’t end up being similar to how Marvel keeps making more Deadpool titles.

Your thoughts?    

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By King_Saturn
    cant have too much Green Lantern in my opinion... 
    Rothschild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Rothschild

I think it will work because they separated Guy Gardner from Kyle... Kyle and Guy are both popular so to capitalize on their popularity, guy is given a new title which has him as the main focal point with Arisia and Kilowog contributing... John Stewart(who some would argue is less popular and boring) is attached to the popular Rayner(Kyle) as well as Lanntern Soranik(daughter of Sinestro), who some might say is gaining a small fan following. The flagship Green Lantern title belong to Hal, and with good reason. They push the 3 more popular guys( Kyle, Hal, Guy) to the front in their own books which leaves Green Lantern enthusiasts(not unlike myself) excited for more ring slingin action! 

BTW i typed this after a bowl lol!

Avatar image for paranormal_life
    Paranormal_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Paranormal_Life

I hear you on the Deadpool front; you can't escape him nowadays, it seems. I'm a huge Green Lantern fan, so I hope it doesn't turn out to be just another example of capitalism at its worst. I have to agree with King Saturn, you can't have too many Green Lantern titles. I'll be optimistic towards it and follow the title until it gives me a reason not to like it.

On a side note: They should make a title that features the other Lantern Corps, and not show the Green lanterns at all in it (Maybe once in a long while, if that.). They could have the Blue Lanterns in it for ten issues or so, facing their own foes and problems, then switch to Indigo when the preceding story is over, and so forth. They could tell back stories and show them having their own adventures and issues within their ranks. They could even have the Guardians in it from time to time as the main feature.

Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Aronmorales

I'm not in opposition about it.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By geraldthesloth

They're going to continue milking it, why? Cause it makes money.

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

I would buy an Alan Scott title

greenenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By greenenvy

What about the other lanterns  maybe? Agent orange or Indigo tribe anyone? 

Bathory1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bathory1313
    @King Saturn: 

Agreed!
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By bingbangboom

I think DC has a plan to expand it, especially with the movie coming out. The problem is that it is harder to have "Green Lanterns" and not get confusing. I would expect as the movie gets closer we will see more mini's that possibly go into the origin of the character. There is only so many places to expand the character and the line I feel without weakling it.

Rothschild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rothschild
    @greenenvy said:
    " What about the other lanterns  maybe? Agent orange or Indigo tribe anyone?  "
    Indingo not so much... Id like to See a Sinestro Corp but thats about it... 
    LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LT1085

DC needs another Green Lantern title like Marvel needs another Deadpool title.

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Caligula

i think it'll be fine

the_fallen11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By the_fallen11
    @King Saturn:  <-------------I agree with this man
    karrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By karrob

It worked for the X-Men (scratching head and shrugging shoulders) Lol

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By Supreme Marvel

Have you seen the amount of titles Marvel release for their singular characters I.E. Spider-Man, Wolverine etc. The Green Lantern series will be about Gardner, so I would love to see read it. If it was about Hal, then I'll be annoyed. Great thing is, we get to see more of Kyle in Corps.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AtPhantom

No. DC doesn't need another GL title. I'd cancel it, and I'd also boot Tomasi out along the way. Hack.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    @AtPhantom said:
    " No. DC doesn't need another GL title. I'd cancel it, and I'd also boot Tomasi out along the way. Hack. "
    He's leaving now anyway.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Supreme Marvel said:
    " @AtPhantom said:
    " No. DC doesn't need another GL title. I'd cancel it, and I'd also boot Tomasi out along the way. Hack. "
    He's leaving now anyway. "
    I meant out of the company. Tomasi is writing the Guy Gardner thing now.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Supreme Marvel

He made me like Guy, which at the start of Green Lantern Rebirth I didn't. I think he appealed to my Kyle Rayner side.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AtPhantom
    @Supreme Marvel said:
    " He made me like Guy, which at the start of Green Lantern Rebirth I didn't. I think he appealed to my Kyle Rayner side. "
    He made me think the GLC is an amateurish group of under-average individuals devoid of any and all reason and intelligence, who indulge in actions which usually have nothing to do with actually keeping order in the universe, and if they are actually called upon to perform their duty, they fail miserably at it.

GLC was fun and cool while Dave Gibbons was writting it. Tomasi turned it into a second string book whose only purpose is to promote Blackest Night and to prove how awesome Hal Jordan is by making all the other lanterns look like morons.
    Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    @AtPhantom said:

" @Supreme Marvel said:

" He made me like Guy, which at the start of Green Lantern Rebirth I didn't. I think he appealed to my Kyle Rayner side. "
    He made me think the GLC is an amateurish group of under-average individuals devoid of any and all reason and intelligence, who indulge in actions which usually have nothing to do with actually keeping order in the universe, and if they are actually called upon to perform their duty, they fail miserably at it.   GLC was fun and cool while Dave Gibbons was writting it. Tomasi turned it into a second string book whose only purpose is to promote Blackest Night and to prove how awesome Hal Jordan is by making all the other lanterns look like morons. "
    I did like Gibbson's run as well. I wanted to read his GLC after reading his Rahn/Thanagar War.

Id o also think he may have agreed with Johns more than enough times to make Hal stand out more. I do want to see more of Kyle, and if the new writer does that I think I'll like him more.

I do like this cover.

More detail on Kyle.
     More detail on Kyle.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By AtPhantom

Yeah, that's awesome. I'm happy Bedard is taking over. GLC needs a little love.

danielddavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By danielddavis

Wow Dc is actually milking something that isn't Batman, amazing.

ironshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ironshadow

They should make a  Green Lantern & Blue Lantern book.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    @danielddavis said:
    " Wow Dc is actually milking something that isn't Batman, amazing. "
    Batman and Superman are generally the ones they do milk. But the stories are good. I could go on a rant about Marvel comics, but I won't. I'll just say that Marvel release about 5+ comics of the same characters or characters a month. Huge milkage from them. And small from DC.
    Avatar image for squiresmadnessmachine
    squiresmadnessmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3...........its a magic number
    danielddavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By danielddavis
    @Supreme Marvel: 
    Like I said, I think it's annoying that the guys over at marvel think it's okay to put 100 or so of their characters in at least 5 books a month, where as DC wouldn't bother to put a character (Ex. Batman/ Superman.) in 2 titles a month, and there titles (Non Batman/ Superman one's) don't last as long Marvel's anyway.
    Demonturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By Demonturtle
    @Paranormal_Life said:
    "I hear you on the Deadpool front; you can't escape him nowadays, it seems. I'm a huge Green Lantern fan, so I hope it doesn't turn out to be just another example of capitalism at its worst. I have to agree with King Saturn, you can't have too many Green Lantern titles. I'll be optimistic towards it and follow the title until it gives me a reason not to like it.  On a side note: They should make a title that features the other Lantern Corps, and not show the Green lanterns at all in it (Maybe once in a long while, if that.). They could have the Blue Lanterns in it for ten issues or so, facing their own foes and problems, then switch to Indigo when the preceding story is over, and so forth. They could tell back stories and show them having their own adventures and issues within their ranks. They could even have the Guardians in it from time to time as the main feature. "

I like that idea alot!  I was a small Lantern fan up until Darkest Night, but I have become more and more of one.  The idea of each corps being involved in a story is awesome.
    Stamps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Stamps

How wants to read about Guy Garner in the first place

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nighthunter

I don't mind and I'm buying it. What is diferent about this than Wolverine or Deadpool? It has an entire different cast, creative team and purpose

oh btw, Brightiest day is more about the twelve than about GL

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    @danielddavis said:

" @Supreme Marvel:  Like I said, I think it's annoying that the guys over at marvel think it's okay to put 100 or so of their characters in at least 5 books a month, where as DC wouldn't bother to put a character (Ex. Batman/ Superman.) in 2 titles a month, and there titles (Non Batman/ Superman one's) don't last as long Marvel's anyway. "

I know what  you're saying. As much as I love DC, they need to use more characters. I'm a big fan of Captain Marvel. And would love for him to get an on going series.

Batman they do milk his universe, but I rather like that universe. Gotham is amazingly detailed. Birds of Prey, Batgirl, Red Robin, Batman & Robin, Batman, Detective Comics, Gotham Sirens, Streets of Gotham and I think I got them all... Superman/Batman (but that doesn't really explore Gotham or Metropolis). This how much they ( DC) have loyalty to Gotham, in Cry fro Justice they were going to destroy all the cites expect for Gotham and Metropolis. Superman, you don't really have them exploring Metropolis, and I like that just as much as Gotham, maybe a bit less. For him you've got Action Comics, Superman, Supergirl, Adventure Comics (although, that's more Smallville)
    They could use more titles from other characters. DC's Martial Arts characters are amazing, I've always wanted them to release a series about them including: Richard Dragon, Lady Shiva, Ben Turner, Cassandra Cain, Connor Hawk, Constantine Drakon and more except for Karate Kid, they'd be no point in the other characters unless they were to all fight him.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nighthunter

The problem isn't really with DC or Marvel but the fans. They prefer to read 3 different crappy Wolverine books instead of 3 solid books featuring characters like Jonah Hex, R.E.B.E.L.S. and Nova

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Supreme Marvel

I would love to get into Jonah Hex, the trailer made it look good. I've already got into R.E.B.E.L.S., it's just finding time to read them. I've been reading all the batman books to get upto date with

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Nighthunter

Bruce's return is the worst comic kept secret EVER

Try Jonah Hex, every single issue is standalone so you can start literally anywhere, and every single issue is amazing

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Honestly I can name ten people I would pay to get that spot instead

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Supreme Marvel
    I know, but to be honest, right from the start they said it in Red Robin. Good old Tim, no believed him, I did. I got your back son!!!
    danielddavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By danielddavis
    @Supreme Marvel: 
    Yes I'd love for some DC characters to get their own volume.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.