TMNT The last Ronin Rated R movie being made!

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@arctika: This is the most hyped I’ve been for a movie in such a long time.

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Same, I think this will be the darkest turtle movie since the 1990 film honestly. Probably darker since it's Rated R but you know what I mean. Crazy how in the general that one dude is triggered by a Rated R turtles, clearly some people on here don't know much about their history lol.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arctika: One of the best aspects of TMNT is how it can be for every age. I still love the stuff for kids. I watch it all the time with my kids, and hope every generation of kids gets their version of the brothers.

That doesn’t mean it shouldn't also go back to its roots with darker versions that aren’t for kids. As much as I love watching the turtles with my kids, I’m very excited to go to the theaters without them for once. It’s been a long time since there’s been a non-kids movie that makes me want to go to the theaters.

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Yeah that's true thoughI do feel it worked a bit better in the 80s imo with the toys selling tactics while making the turtles more kid friendly accessible from the original mirage books. However a story like TLR i definitely feel needs to be rated R given the context for sure.

The games, TV shows and movies like mutan mayhem are an easy way for kids to grasp onto the tmnt but at the same time I'm glad we have some old-school fans out there in the business of movies that remember the turtles originally are darker characters a bit gritty and make stuff for adult tmnt fans you know?

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 takenstew22  Moderator

@arctika: I used to think for awhile that TMNT was a franchise always geared towards kids until I saw their first ever comic and oh boy… it’s actually pretty dark.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arctika: For sure. I think there is also a place for a darker version of the turtles that is still ok for slightly older kids to watch, like the original movie was. Basically, I’m down for any age they market to, but just want it to not go fully to adults, or fully to kids. As beyond hyped I am for a Rated R Last Ronin movie, and I’m guessing it’s probably going to be very successful, but I hope that doesn’t cause a trend where all the turtles media becomes made for adults only, because I still want my kids to get their version also.

A_FINE_EDITION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By A_FINE_EDITION

This is the beauty of the TMNT. The tone can be basically anything you want. They're such an adaptable concept. I adore the original 90s film. I grew up watching that on VHS more times than I can count. It balanced the silliness and the seriousness pretty well. I haven't really read The Last Ronin, but what I know about it I think would definitely be awesome to see on the big screen.

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Yep. I hear ya. The original movie I would say was great for adults and older teens imo, kids though ehh not so much. But that's just my take of course. I mean I remember as a kid seeing it thinking OMG they killed Raphael?! Which let's be honest if that was a human probably would have lol and the Casey vs Tatsu fight, definitely would have killed a guy hitting you in the face with a golf club that big lol but I digress haha. I have to remember comic book movie and then you had the ending with what Casey did to Shredder....yeah. haha. Good points though! I personally prefer the turtles be darker or at least darker than the stuff we've had the past 10 years let's just say...but since they've become to big again now, their main market is kids but I'm glad there are some projects made for adult and original TMNT fans in their 30's and 40's too. I think as long as the rating is appropriate for the kind of story/movie they're doing, it should work out. Last Ronin and Mirage stories are definitely adult and should be grittier, darker and more messed up imo compared to say the TV shows or even IDW stories which while darker than the recent movies, shows not quite as dark as Mirage stories or TLR.

@takenstew22:lol yeah for sure with what happens to Shredder. The original Mirage turtles were very hardcore and boarderline crazy at times, they definitely had a much less moral code compared to the toned down, kiddier versions lol.

@A_FINE_EDITION: Yeah honestly, while they're originally darker, they can be kiddyized as I like to say but for kiddy like stories. At heart the more serious TMNT stories are far darker, grittier and made more for adults. Another prime example of this is with Robocop(got a cartoon series and TV series that was sillier, campier compared to the first 2 films) and Toxic Avenger/Toxic Crusader series. The original movie was more adult, then the cartoon came out for kids.