Stereotypes about men and women: Agree or Dissagree?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By dernman

For the record this isn't mine. I copy pasted it from an article that was linked from a site I go too. I edited out everything but the examples given. Not that it should matter but the article was written by a female.

True stereotype #1: Men say “I love you” first

According to an analysis of six studies published by Discover Magazine as well as the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, men typically confess their love first in budding relationships.

True stereotype #2: “Bad boys” really are more appealing to single women than “nice guys” (at first glance, anyway)

A study conducted at the University of British Columbia had more than 1,000 people rank the sexual attractiveness of various facial expressions. Researchers found that women were most attracted to men who looked proud and powerful in their photos and least attracted to smiling, happy men. The results were the opposite for men ranking the allure of women’s facial expressions. Though this study only applies to first impressions, it speaks to the fact that smiling is associated with a perceived lack of dominance, which can be a turn-off for women. Similarly, another study published in the journal Evolution and Human Behavior found that women ranked men with heavy stubble and full beards as more attractive than clean-shaven men.

True stereotype #3: Women are more likely to feel used after having a casual fling

A survey of over 1,700 people conducted by researchers at Durham University and published in the journal Human Nature found that women are more likely to have negative feelings after having a casual fling than men. According to the study’s abstract, “in terms of subsequent affective response, women do not seem well-adapted to casual sexual encounters.” And April Masini, founder of AskApril.com and author of Date Out of Your League, agrees: “Sex is different for women than men. It may sound absurd, but when [a woman] sleeps with a man, there is a physiological change that makes her feel connected emotionally to him. The sex will ratchet up those feelings [of regret].”

True stereotype #4: Women are “talkers” because they have bigger language centers in their brains

Scientists at Prince of Wales Medical Research Institute at the University of New South Wales, Australia found that females have proportionally larger Wernicke and Broca language-associated regions in their brains, compared with males. And not just a tiny bit larger — we’re talking 17.8%. So what does this mean? These anatomical differences correlate with women’s superior language skills. “Little girls speak sooner, and with more accuracy on average,” says Dr. Fisher. “By the age of 12, they read better and faster. There are a great number of studies showing that women are, on average, more linguistically skilled. Several scientists have linked these skills with the presence of estrogen,” adds Dr. Fisher.

True stereotype #5: Men really can hold their liquor better than women, even at comparable body weights

Even a man and a woman of comparable height and weight will still process alcohol somewhat differently. The reason? Scientists have learned that men have more water in their bodies than women (61% on average for men and 52% for women), which helps dilute the booze. Also, women have less of a liver enzyme called dehydrogenase, which is essential for metabolizing alcohol. So ladies, don’t try to keep up with him glass for glass while splitting that bottle of wine over dinner, or you may regret it!

True stereotype #6: Women experience pain more often and more intensely than men do

Due to the fact that women have less of a certain protein called GIRK2 in their systems, they experience more pain than men typically do. For this reason, researchers at the University of Texas at Austin studying this phenomenon say that scientists should look into developing gender-specific treatments for physical discomfort.

True stereotype #7: Women have a keener sense of smell

According to scientists at the Monell Chemical Senses Center in Philadelphia, women of reproductive age are better at identifying smells then men. Women’s sensitivity to smells increased with repeated exposure to odors, while men’s did not, according to a study published in the journal Nature Neuroscience. Researchers believe that the female hormone estrogen is linked to women’s keen sense of smell. In fact, there are many subtle sense differences between men and women. For example: “Women see better in the dark, men see better in the light,” says Dr. Fisher.

True stereotype #8: Men are hardwired for better physical coordination

The female romantic lead that always falls down on-screen may seem like a silly Hollywood stereotype, but it turns out there’s actually a scientific reason that script writers don’t create a lot of male characters who are klutzes. Men’s neural circuitry has connections which are better suited for coordination. A study led by Ragini Verma at the University of Pennsylvania used a type of MRI known as “diffusion tensor imaging” to map neural connections in the brains of 428 males and 521 females — and based on those images, researchers found differences between how men and women are wired. While men had neural advantages in the areas of perception and muscle coordination, women’s brains showed stronger connections in areas such as social skills, memory, and multitasking abilities. “By age 13 when testosterone floods the brain, males begin to excel at engineering and spatial skills,” says Dr. Fisher. “These parts of the brain are built in large part by testosterone. The bottom line is: Men are good at reading maps; they are good, on average, at mechanics. It comes from the job of tracking buffalo in evolutionary history. Historically, men had jobs that needed [these] spatial skills.”

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I didn't even know #1 was even a thing or a stereotype. That's surprising. And numbers 2,3,4,5,8 didn't surprise me. I pretty much believed in those already. 6 and 7 were interesting. I've noticed a few times in my life, that some women are more sensitive to smells and could smell things I couldn't and what other dudes couldn't. That's weird. Pretty interesting stuff and a lot of it proves that some things are just natural in relation to gender roles and all that crap.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By dernman

@silkyballfro94: que in the ComicVine obligatory but isn't gender a social construct. just kidding :p

The list doesn't really surprise me because I've heard them all before. Though many groups dispute some of them. Like the pain thing.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

Yeah, most of this doesn't surprise me.

Ecthelion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers