Oppenheimer (2023 movie) review by JwwProd

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By jwwprod

This is a review I posted on DeviantArt 9 days ago. But I just now decided to also post it here. Anyways here's my review for Oppenheimer 2023 movie!

On the night of the 24th of August I and my sister's boyfriend went to Blackwood cinema to watch Christopher Nolan's latest movie, Oppenheimer.

It was a movie I wanted to see for a while and last night I finally had the chance. So how was it you might ask? Well I have to say........ The movie was FANTASTIC!!!!! It was such a beautiful movie!

For those of you unaware this movies is basically about the life of J. Robert Oppenheimer himself (AKA the father of the atomic bomb) from his early life as student at the Cavendish Laboratory in Cambridge, to his role in the Manhattan Project, to his feud with Lewis Strauss.

That's talk about the cast. To be honest the entire cast was great and they had some truly great actors in this such as Matt Damon as Gen. Leslie Groves, Emily Blunt as Katherine "Kitty" Oppenheimer, Florence Pugh as Jean Tatlock, Rami Malek as David L. Hill, etc. But hands down the absolute stand outs were Cillian Murphy as J. Robert Oppenheimer and Robert Downey Jr. as Lewis Strauss, both just played the roles of Oppenheimer and Strauss so well, especially Cillian Murphy as Oppenheimer himself, seriously Cillian Murphy is a really strong candidate for best actor at the Academy Awards.

Now that's talk about the visuals, I have to say the scenes were we see images of atoms, explosions in Oppenheimer's mind are just so beautiful and eye candy, one of my favourite is during the celebration room were all the people behind the Manhattan Project were celebrating and clapping and we see from Oppenhimer's POV that he's depressed about it and actually hallucinates them all being engulfed in a white light and their skin melting. There's also that scene of the Trinity Test where the bomb goes off and it's just silent for a few second and then you hear the sounds of that explosion, that was such a breath taking sight! I should also point that that most of the scenes where Robert Downey Jr. as Lewis Strauss are filmed in black and white.

Now that's talk about the soundtrack. To be honest when I heard that Hans Zimmer wasn't going to compose this movie, I will admit I was a bit annoyed about that to the point where at heart I kind of felt boycott-ish because or though Christopher Nolan's movies in their own right are still amazing, but I felt like Hans Zimmer's brilliant music also helps makes Nolan's movie all that special and in a way Christopher Nolan and Hans Zimmer are like a perfect duo of awesomeness and Nolan without Zimmer just feel strange to me, it's like Ant without Dec, Gonzo without Rizzo, Donald without Douglas, etc (And yea I know that Hans Zimmer didn't compose the score for Nolan's previous movie Tenet). But does that mean the soundtrack in Oppenheimer was bad? Absolutely not! In fact despite not being composed with Hans Zimmer the soundtrack in Oppenheimer was still phenomenal and gorgeous! Ludwig Göransson did a fantastic job and much like how I said Cillian Murphy is a really strong candidate for best actor at the Academy Awards I feel like Ludwig Göransson's soundtrack for Oppenheimer is a strong candidate for best original score at the Academy Awards.

And with that said is there anything I did not like about this movie? Well I will admit there are parts where it can be a bit hard to follow, like if you watched this movie without knowing anything about Oppenheimer at all including his role in the Manhattan Project, his personal life and feud with Lewis Strauss as well as having a short attention spam you might find this movie a bit hard to follow at best to straight to boring at worst, it doesn't help that this movie is 180 minutes long! I mean I'm a massive history buff and know a bit about Oppenheimer before watching this movie so I understood most of it (As well as learn a few things from it), but there were times in the movie where I felt "Boy I wish this movie had subtitles so I can understand that scene better", but again that's most my own fault and not really the movies fault.

So with that said I think Oppenheimer was a phenomenal movie and I really can't wait to watch it again when it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray. But it is a movie for everyone? Not really since it's a very long movie and again if your not a history buff and don't know much or anything about the life of J. Robert Oppenheimer and his role in creating the nuclear bomb, you probably wouldn't enjoy this movie. But if you are a massive history buff and know a lot about J. Robert Oppenheimer then you will love this movie (Or though you've likely already seen it by now). So overall highly recommend watching this movie if you haven't already or though I think it might be best to wait till it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray in October since that why you'd be able to put subtitles on as well as rewind it back if you misunderstood some scenes.

But an even bigger question........ Is this the best movie of 2023 so far? I definitely think this movie has a very strong chance at winning Best Picture at the Academy Awards. But honestly my favourite movie this years still has to be Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, that movie just blew me away in all aspects, but Oppenheimer is still a very close 2nd best movie I've seen so far this year, and I've seen 6 movies that came out this year so far and 5 were good....... one was rubbish though. My ranking for the 6 movies I've seen this year so far would be ranked like this (And this ranking may change later on):

1. Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse
  2. Oppenheimer
  3. Nimona
  4. The Super Mario Bros. Movie
  5. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
  6. ....................... UGH!!!!!............. Winnie-the-Pooh: Blood and Honey.....................

So overall I freaking loved Oppenhimer!!!! My rating for the movie? HELL TO IT! I'm giving it 10/10! Another fantastic movie by Christopher Nolan himself!!!!!

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nice review.

Avatar image for masterofmatches
MasterofMatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Very nice review, I'm glad you liked it. I think this movie sadly was blown over by the Barbie movie. :(

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nice review.

Very nice review, I'm glad you liked it. I think this movie sadly was blown over by the Barbie movie. :(

Well your completely wrong there. Sure Barbie overall made more money but that doesn't mean Oppenheimer was a flop, if anything it's was a smash hit. It made $912.8 million in the box office making it the third highest grossing movie of this year (Behind Barbie and Mario), the highest-grossing World War II-related film of all time and the second-highest-grossing R-rated film of all time. And Oppenheimer had a budget of $100 million yet it managed to make 10 times that in the box office.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jwwprod said:
@terry2012 said:

Nice review.

@masterofmatches said:

Well your completely wrong there. Sure Barbie overall made more money but that doesn't mean Oppenheimer was a flop, if anything it's was a smash hit. It made $912.8 million in the box office making it the third highest grossing movie of this year (Behind Barbie and Mario), the highest-grossing World War II-related film of all time and the second-highest-grossing R-rated film of all time. And Oppenheimer had a budget of $100 million yet it managed to make 10 times that in the box office.

You're welcome.

Avatar image for masterofmatches
MasterofMatches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@jwwprod: Oh I'm not saying anything negative about that. I'm just saying it'd be even higher than it was if Barbie didn't affect it is all, not saying Barbie greatly hindered it, but in my area it was talked more than Oppenheimer sadly :(