God did not create the universe, says Hawking

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wario88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wario88
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Primmaster64

* Facepalm*

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By N7_Normandy
@Wario88 said:
"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100902/lf_nm_life/us_britain_hawking     

Now this is coming from Hawkings...........

"
Coming from Hawking's, it's inevitably more reliable than the opinion of anyone on this site.  Alas, people will try to dispute that God does not exist, as they do in every single religious thread...sigh.  
blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By blade hunter

Its goin to kick off soon.

spidey 15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By spidey 15
@Primmaster64 said:
" * Facepalm* "
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CosmicSpiral

Well, that's his (esteemed) opinion. 

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By InnerVenom123

They're coming.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Dude! Let it go.
Find a religion site or something this is COMICvine.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By joshmightbe

No Caption Provided
this is all the god i need
N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By N7_Normandy
@Gylan Thomas said:
" Dude! Let it go. Find a religion site or something this is COMICvine. "
He's free to post what he likes, as long as it is within reason and does not offend or attack other comicvine users in any way or form.  Religion is fair game in the off-topic section.  We have the general discussion and comic/character specific forums for comics.
Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Roddy010

AWWWW MAN....Some s**t about to pop off...

rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By rogue_mar1e
@Primmaster64 said:
"* Facepalm* "
Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gylan Thomas
@N7_Normandy said:
" @Gylan Thomas said:
He's free to post what he likes, as long as it is within reason and does not offend or attack other comicvine users in any way or form.  Religion is fair game in the off-topic section.  We have the general discussion and comic/character specific forums for comics. "
I'm well aware of that but this is the second religion thread I've seen tonight from the same guy.
These things never say anything new. It get's kinda boring and repetitive.
There's no real answer to any of it so it goes no where. With that in mind can't a mod just lock this nonsense as soon as it pops up?
Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Matezoide2

here goes

N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By N7_Normandy
@Gylan Thomas said:

" @N7_Normandy said:

" @Gylan Thomas said:

He's free to post what he likes, as long as it is within reason and does not offend or attack other comicvine users in any way or form.  Religion is fair game in the off-topic section.  We have the general discussion and comic/character specific forums for comics. "
I'm well aware of that but this is the second religion thread I've seen tonight from the same guy. These things never say anything new. It get's kinda boring and repetitive. There's no real answer to any of it so it goes no where. With that in mind can't a mod just lock this nonsense as soon as it pops up? " 

I agree that the number of religious threads present is excessive, however, I don't think a mod will lock a topic unless it proves threatening, detrimental to the community, or is a repost.  I may be wrong though; I'm not a mod.  You can try to contact one if you feel so strongly about this.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#16  Edited By Dracade102
@joshmightbe said:
"

this is all the god i need "
He Gobbles Down Worlds For Lunch, God just Prepares them
Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Lance Uppercut

|_|0

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By joshmightbe
@Dracade102: see god is just making galactus's lunch 
Fire-brand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fire-brand

why? he's an astrophysist who doesn't think god was necessary in creating the universe. big shocker.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Gylan Thomas
@N7_Normandy said:
" @Gylan Thomas said:

" @N7_Normandy said:

" @Gylan Thomas said:

I'm well aware of that but this is the second religion thread I've seen tonight from the same guy. These things never say anything new. It get's kinda boring and repetitive. There's no real answer to any of it so it goes no where. With that in mind can't a mod just lock this nonsense as soon as it pops up? " 

I agree that the number of religious threads present is excessive, however, I don't think a mod will lock a topic unless it proves threatening, detrimental to the community, or is a repost.  I may be wrong though; I'm not a mod.  You can try to contact one if you feel so strongly about this.

"
Let's be honest. All the religion threads are basicly reposts. 
I once even posted something myself asking for a little more balance at least. Something other than the christian fundamentalists to keep it interesting.
Got locked almost right away. Wasn't a repost or offensive at all. Simply asking for a little diversity.
The reason givin' for locking thread's that have already been done is it takes up server space and slows down the site. These pointless religion threads must be the same. Repetitive and taking up server space. Lock 'em.
Mod's or staff would be do scared to do it because it stinks of cnesorship and people would shout about freedom of speach. Something like free speach is great as long as it's not wasted.
Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gylan Thomas
@N7_Normandy: 

No offence to anybody but I'd also be curious as to how many of the god threads are started by non American viners.
I live in Britain and I've not met many Brit's or other Europeans who get so caught up in all this as Americans do.
agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By agent9149
chris thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By chris thompson
@Primmaster64 said:
"* Facepalm* "
Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Manchine
@CosmicSpiral said:
"Well, that's his (esteemed) opinion.  "
Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#25  Edited By Dracade102
@joshmightbe said:
" @Dracade102: see god is just making galactus's lunch  "

And Lucifer Tempts him With Carbs
N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By N7_Normandy
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @N7_Normandy said:
" @Gylan Thomas said:

" @N7_Normandy said:

" @Gylan Thomas said:

"
Let's be honest. All the religion threads are basicly reposts.  I once even posted something myself asking for a little more balance at least. Something other than the christian fundamentalists to keep it interesting. Got locked almost right away. Wasn't a repost or offensive at all. Simply asking for a little diversity. The reason givin' for locking thread's that have already been done is it takes up server space and slows down the site. These pointless religion threads must be the same. Repetitive and taking up server space. Lock 'em. Mod's or staff would be do scared to do it because it stinks of cnesorship and people would shout about freedom of speach. Something like free speach is great as long as it's not wasted. "
I agree; it's pointless for these threads to be created just so individuals can belabor the same point about God.  I'd much rather have unique threads that actually create an intellectual discussion and add something to the community.  Like you said though, the moderators are in a tough decision; if they crack down on threads, they're looking at a potential backlash of sorts.  My advice: just ignore the threads or point them out to a mod.  
iloverobots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iloverobots
What's going to happen is that a bunch of christians are going to criticize Hawking (who let's face it, is one of the greatest mind of the last 100 years) for what he says but will not pick up the book when it comes out to learn more about what he's saying. 

Ignorant religious zealots; leave my idols alone.
N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By N7_Normandy
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @N7_Normandy:   No offence to anybody but I'd also be curious as to how many of the god threads are started by non American viners. I live in Britain and I've not met many Brit's or other Europeans who get so caught up in all this as Americans do. "
I made one such thread when I first joined, but after seeing the high volume of religious threads, and some of the ridiculous ill-formed point of views that people keep posting, I see no reason for these threads to continuously pop up.  I am American and not religious in any way or form to answer your question.  Since, I'm in this thread anyway...  It's not so much that I have a problem with God, as it is with faith.  If the idea of God was accompanied by non-detrimental effects, I woudln't care in the slightest.  As an intellectual, I do not believe in God, but my qualm is with the notion of blind faith and the negative effects that religion has had and continues to have on society. 
Avatar image for the_velvet_rabbit
The Velvet Rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am with religion as I am with politics - swimming in the gray.   I won't believe in it 'til I see it, or 'til I'm delusional enough to believe I see it - it's simple enough.   all reds and blues (on either side) want to do is fight without fact.   hawking's a genius, but I don't really see the point of this topic.

ForbushBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By ForbushBug

What's to discuss? Hawking isn't saying there is no God, just there wasn't need for a prime mover to initiate the Big Bang. Unless you got the math to prove the physics wrong, then any problem with what he is saying is an overreaction. 

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By King_Saturn
I thought we all knew God didnt create the Universe... Living Tribunal did... and he gave unto us a Savior for all Mankind named Galactus... now Thats Some True Shit I just made up... :P
lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lagoon_boy
Hawking a brilliant scientist. Who's the same brilliant scientist who failed to create a theory about why the gravity is getting weaker. 
drkhwk2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By drkhwk2001

Who died and made Hawking the end all be all?

Mr. Smiths

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mr. Smiths

Why Galactus so worshipped by people here?

Avatar image for deactivated-asdf987sdf
deactivated-asdf987sdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Mr. Smiths said:
" Why Galactus so worshipped by people here? "
fictional savior who absorbs energy, destroys planets and even makes purple look cool > fictional savior who watches you shower  

nuff' said
Emerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Emerald

Why are all these type of threads on a Comic Book Website?

deactivated-asdf987sdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Emerald said:
" Why are all these type of threads on a Comic Book Website? "
glen beck's troll army, imo
Emerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Emerald
@ViciousCesar! said:
" @Emerald said:
glen beck's troll army, imo "
I don't find that funny. There is nothing wrong with believing in God or having your own beliefs. There is nothing wrong with wanting to share them and discuss them. I don't believe the most appropriate place to do that is on a Comic Book Website.
Hellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hellos
@King Saturn said:
"I thought we all knew God didnt create the Universe... Living Tribunal did... and he gave unto us a Savior for all Mankind named Galactus... now Thats Some True Shit I just made up... :P "

That would be cool. :P
deactivated-asdf987sdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Emerald said:
" @ViciousCesar! said:
" @Emerald said:
glen beck's troll army, imo "
I don't find that funny. There is nothing wrong with believing in God or having your own beliefs. There is nothing wrong with wanting to share them and discuss them. I don't believe the most appropriate place to do that is on a Comic Book Website. "
it wasn't meant to be funny. 
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By King_Saturn
@Mr. Smiths said:
" Why Galactus so worshipped by people here? "
whats wrong with having respect for our Lord Galactus ??? just like you have Muslims, Christians and those of Jewish Faith who worship God... you have those of the Cosmic God Theology understanding... :P
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AtPhantom
@King Saturn said:
" whats wrong with having respect for our Lord Galactus ??? j"
Maybe the fact that their lord is dead. I have proof:

No Caption Provided
Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43  Edited By Tainted-Cell

Non-theism theism. I'm not religious, and I'm not about to get into why... but come on. Stephen Hawking, for all of his fame and fortune could be adequately compared to the Pope. And you'll have Atheists who will lay waste to that comparison, saying that no, no there are plenty of atheists who disagree with Stephen Hawking, and point out that theories are ever-growing works-in-progress, not beliefs.... and they will completely miss how similar that will be to all the Catholics who wish they could disassociate themselves with the Vatican. Or the Atheists (and other groups) who continue to make accusations that Muslims building a mosque in Manhattan is a sign of "dominance".... have trouble accepting responsibility for their anti-religious attitudes.
I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that the majority does not care about what Stephen Hawking has to say about the creation of the universe.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By King_Saturn
@AtPhantom said:
" @King Saturn said:
" whats wrong with having respect for our Lord Galactus ??? j"
Maybe the fact that their lord is dead. I have proof:

No Caption Provided
"
well I guess that mean we will have to go to The Father God aka The Living Tribunal from now on... 
AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AtPhantom
@King Saturn:  Nah, I expect Galactus to come back to life like a good little messiah any day now. :P

@Tainted-Cell said:
" I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that the majority does not care about what Stephen Hawking has to say about the creation of the universe. "
I'd like to think you are.
Saying Hawking said something is essentially a call to authority for an argument you could not make yourself, and as such is worthless.
However, if you just read through the link in the OP, you'll see that the article and this thread are a double fail, since Hawking never actually said that. A more accurate paraphrase of his words would be that the universe is ordered in such a way that God did not have to create it. Not that He didn't create it.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By King_Saturn
@AtPhantom said:
" @King Saturn:  Nah, I expect Galactus to come back to life like a good little messiah any day now. :P

@Tainted-Cell said:
" I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that the majority does not care about what Stephen Hawking has to say about the creation of the universe. "
I'd like to think you are.
Saying Hawking said something is essentially a call to authority for an argument you could not make yourself, and as such is worthless.
However, if you just read through the link in the OP, you'll see that the article and this thread are a double fail, since Hawking never actually said that. A more accurate paraphrase of his words would be that the universe is ordered in such a way that God did not have to create it. Not that He didn't create it. "
YES... Galactus will Live  !
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By Final Arrow

Okay im locking this, this is about the third thread you have made dealing with religion in the last two days, where the original post may differ the posts often tend to follow the same trend, as such this is becoming over the top.