Crazy News: White actor as Martin Luther King.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000
No Caption Provided

The casting of a white actor as Martin Luther King in an Ohio university production of Katori Hall’s acclaimed play The Mountaintop was “a disservice to not just Dr King but an entire community”, the playwright has said.

Hall wrote an essay for the African American cultural website the Root on Mondayabout Kent State University’s production of her play, which dramatizes the night before King was assassinated in 1968.

Hall told the Guardian that director Michael Oatman’s decision to double-cast the six-show production with a black actor and a white actor as King went “deeper than just casting a white man in the role of MLK”.

“I just really feel as though it echoes this pervasive erasure of the black body and the silencing of a black community – theatrically and also, literally, in the world,” she said.

Oatman, who like Hall is black, said in a statement in August promoting the play that he chose a white actor for the production “to explore the issue of racial ownership and authenticity”.

“I didn’t want this to be a stunt, but a true exploration of King’s wish that we all be judged by the content of our character and not the color of our skin,” Oatman said. “I wanted the contrast … I wanted to see how the words rang differently or indeed the same, coming from two different actors, with two different racial backgrounds.”

Oatman did not respond to a request for comment, but Hall said she had a respectful phone call with the director about a month after he staged the play at the university’s Department of Pan-African Studies’ African Community Theatre from late September to early October.

She said that Oatman did not discuss the decision to use a white actor with her before the play ran and called the decision “disrespectful”.

Hall said she thought that if a director was going to experiment like Oatman did, then they should include a discussion with the audience or create another forum to measure the success of such an exercise.

“With a playwright’s intention being dangerously distorted, Oatman’s experiment proved to be a self-serving and disrespectful directing exercise for a paying audience,” Hall wrote.

Hall learned about Oatman’s decision to use a white actor in the production after the show had closed. She immediately notified her agent, who contacted the theatre licensing service Dramatists Play Service, which then wrote to the university questioning its decision.

Since the Kent State University production ran, Hall has adjusted The Mountaintop’s licensing agreement to say: “Both characters are intended to be played by actors who are African-American or Black. Any other casting choice requires the prior approval of the author.”

She said that the issue of representation is a common discussion topic for theatremakers of color, but rarely gets attention beyond that community. The decision to cast a white man as one of the country’s best-known civil rights figures, however, changed that.

“I feel as though a lot of theatremakers were a bit appalled at the choice that the director made – and that it was supported so wholeheartedly by the institution,” Hall said. “So it was really a moment to talk about playwright intention, but to then, beyond that, talk about much bigger issues, about not only being a black artist but also being a black person in America.”

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/10/martin-luther-king-white-actor-university

Martin Luther King wanted equality across the races as to persuade people to look past the colour & notice the person.

So it make sense i think.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Amendment50

Lol "it wasn't a stunt"

Yeah this was a pretty ridiculous idea.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Seems fine to me. We had a black Human Torch and really, isn't that the same thing?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't see the problem. There is no problem.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stupid.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is stupid. Just like changing the black Human Torch. I can't wait for the hypocrites to come out of the woodwork to criticize this though.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@noone301994: yes because changing the ethnicity of a fictional character from a medium where change and retains are constant us totally the same as casting a white actor to portray one of the greatest black icons of all time who actually existed and had an undeniable effect on the planet. Totally the same

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

They say there's no such thing as bad publicity...

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noone301994: yes because changing the ethnicity of a fictional character from a medium where change and retains are constant us totally the same as casting a white actor to portray one of the greatest black icons of all time who actually existed and had an undeniable effect on the planet. Totally the same

Well he can't exactly wear black-face, now can he?

@makhai: why would I be triggered?

Why indeed? Triggered you are though, son. Triggered you are.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Oh, you don't like my comparison? How's this one?

No Caption Provided

This is from 'The Intouchables'. An Arab man was portrayed by a black Frenchman. The Arabian man does exist, just like MLK.

Both instances are stupid.

Xaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In any instance, I wouldn't mind.

The problem there, is the thematics that just aren't that appropriate.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a completely different situation from the whole black Human Torch situation. If it was a fictional character then sure, why not?

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Overmonitor

Its a play. Art. License is allowed. It isn't meant to be historically accurate. I have no problem at all with this especially after the explantion.

Those words should ring true no matter who speaks them given they are about equality.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first thing that pops into my mind is that this is stupid. But then I think about how the NAACP and some people in general accepted Rachel Dolezal. That lady who plays dress up and lies to people about being black. And now I don't care. It's not like I go to that college anyways or even watch plays.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b4a71696d1f
deactivated-59b4a71696d1f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idiotic.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see the point.

Beata

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr. King wanted people to see beyond the skin color.

So i think many people here forget about his ideology.

He wanted people to stop thinking, he is white, he is black...

This in some bizarre way makes sense.

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: Agreed.

People don't like to think though. It's not like the director is saying MLK wasn't black, they're saying that doesn't matter in the scheme of equality. It is not a history book, it's art.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@makhai: I can't believe someone took the bait, but Bravo regardless...

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depending on what the White Guy who played Dr. King sounded like... this could have been something to air on Comedy Central... then again, maybe not considering how sensitive some folks are.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for geomancertactics
Geomancertactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The irony, people getting rustled over a race swap when MLK himself wanted racial equality and people to look past skin color.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By TheDandyMan

Ben Kingsley played Gandhi so I guess this wouldn't be the first type someone of a different colour has played a well-loved rights leader. Kingsley did look a little bit Indian though...

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The "they did the same to Human Torch" argument is ludicrous. Martin Luther King Jr. is an important historical figure, and his race is extremely important to who he was as a person because of his movement for equality. Human Torch is a freaking fictional character whose race has no bearing on his identity. Need I remind everyone he's fictional? If people really think it's okay to compare Martin Luther King Jr. to Human Torch, then...wow. Just wow.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@makhai said:

Seems fine to me. We had a black Human Torch and really, isn't that the same thing?

As if a fictional superhero is comparable to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

All the people saying this is okay, are probably the same ones who were complaining about Idris Alba playing James Bond.

I can't wait to see how many people complain if a black person were to play JFK, if were to have a movie.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By makhai

@jnr6lil said:
@makhai said:

As if a fictional superhero is comparable to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

All the people saying this is okay, are probably the same ones who were complaining about Idris Alba playing James Bond.

I can't wait to see how many people complain if a black person were to play JFK, if were to have a movie.

No one is saying that a fictional superhero is comparable to a historical figure. That is a strawman.

Actually, all the people that are fine with this are likely also fine with Idris Alba playing James Bond. I mean, it is pretty obvious that you are using a thin veil to accuse me of racism but to be frank, the racist ones are the ones that say an actor cannot play a person of different race. It's art. There is no art that is owned by 'black people' just like there is no art owned by 'white people'. As a minority myself, I think your opinion is disturbingly racist. Doubly so because it is likely that you are not even aware of it.

Also, I wouldn't mind at all if a black person played JFK. In fact, I might as well accuse you are being racist by excluding other races from the opportunity to play JFK since you were so quick to throw out such accusations without cause.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By makhai

@cloakx14 said:

@jnr6lil: or bill clinton.

If a black person played Bill Clinton, people would be up in arms over the fact that a black man was cast in a role of an unfaithful character, therefore reinforcing a racial stereotype. I mean, there would be racists that would say a black man can't play a white man too, but yeah.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." I'm pretty sure they were trying to make a point by casting a non black actor.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortein said:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character." I'm pretty sure they were trying to make a point by casting a non black actor.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't care as long as he is a good actor.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ZiYi Zhang would have been a better choice

darthdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mlk Jr was assassinated by the fbi. Look up the civil case about it

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@thedandyman said:

Ben Kingsley played Gandhi so I guess this wouldn't be the first type someone of a different colour has played a well-loved rights leader. Kingsley did look a little bit Indian though...

That's because Kinglsey is half Indian; his father was Indian. So he's not entirely white.

Edit: didn't realize this thread was so old, was directed to it through a PM.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Tumblr and College Campuses be like

Loading Video...