Black man tries to break up fight and ends up getting shot by a white police officer while his hands were up in the air

HarryNorine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Jonathan Price, 31, reportedly tried to intervene in a couple’s scuffle. When officers arrived on the scene, Price was who they shot.

No Caption Provided

A Texas man called a pillar of his community was shot to death by police after trying to break up a fight between a man and woman at a gas station.

Witnesses say that Jonathan Price tried to break up the disagreement inside the store, but it spilled outside, and when officers responded to the scene, Price was the one they shot.

Price, 31, was a former athlete employed by Wolfe City, which is about an hour away from Dallas. He also worked as a fitness trainer.

His mother, Marcella Louis, said that she was in bed when she was called about the shooting. She said she rushed to the gas station, but the police wouldn’t allow her to see her son.

“I just wanted to hold his hand, and they wouldn’t let me do that,” Louis said to WFAA of Dallas. “I just wanted to crawl over there to him.”

Ironically, Price had been a very vocal supporter of law enforcement on his social media pages. In June, he wrote a lengthy, emoji-filled post about “all the tension and animosity going on with race and 1-time.” He wrote that he grew up with friends who are white, who showed him support. “They’re to blame for my country side and addiction to white women, not complaining one bit.”

Former professional baseball player Will Middlebrooks posted a video on Facebook saying that he grew up with Price. “Jonathan was a close friend of mine from childhood,” he said. “We came up together, played T-ball together. We went to elementary school together.”

Texas Rangers are investigating the shooting. They have not released the name of the officer but said that he is on administrative leave.

The attorney provided more details about what may have happened during the shooting: “When police arrived, I’m told, he raised his hands and attempted to explain what was going on,” Merritt wrote on Facebook. “Police fired tasers at him and when his body convulsed from the electrical current, they ‘perceived a threat’ and shot him to death.”

Avatar image for deactivated-60758db60e021
deactivated-60758db60e021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Jesus christ. Imagine that. You put your hands up, try to explain the situation. They tase you. You convulse. You're shot to death.

RIP, Mr Price.

Avatar image for eemdropdistance
eemdropdistance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By dernman

I'm going to wait a few months for more info to come out. How many of these have come out that have turned up to be peddling a bs narrative with false info.

Avatar image for deactivated-60144ce28bd5e
deactivated-60144ce28bd5e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree we have to wait for all the information to come out.

That being said it wouldn't surprise me at all if he was shot for no reason, police need much better training.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By reactor

@dernman said:

I'm going to wait a few months for more info to come out. How many of these have come out that have turned up to be peddling a bs narrative with false info.

This is my stance as well on these things. That being said, this sounds almost irredeemably damning. It doesn't help that there was just another racially charged shooting a few weeks ago in Houston (Nicolas Chavez, who got shot 20+ times)

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've heard stories like this before that turned out to be completely false, so I'm just going to wait a bit until we actually know what happened.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the era of Floyd, Taylor, Brooks, and Blake, why should I believe anything these people say?

Avatar image for deactivated-60144ce28bd5e
deactivated-60144ce28bd5e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cocacolaman: Are you saying the people you listed are bad or the cops are bad?

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TobeyMaguire84
Loading Video...

@cocacolaman:

Its bullshit. White people get killed all the time but u don't see them complaing. What makes black people so special.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Texas Rangers are responsible for investigating the shooting. They sent CBS 11 News the following statement Monday night:

“At approximately 8:24 p.m. on Oct. 3, 2020, Wolfe City Police Officer Shaun Lucas responded to a disturbance call at the 100 block of Santa Fe Street for a possible fight in progress. Officer Lucas made contact with a man, later identified as 31-year-old Jonathan Price, who was reportedly involved in the disturbance.

Officer Lucas attempted to detain Price, who resisted in a non-threatening posture and began walking away. Officer Lucas deployed his TASER, followed by discharging his service weapon striking Price. EMS was notified and Price was transported to Hunt Regional Hospital, where he later died.

The preliminary investigation indicates that the actions of Officer Lucas were not objectionably reasonable. The Texas Rangers have charged Officer Lucas with the offense of Murder and booked him into the Hunt County Jail. This investigation is being conducted by the Texas Rangers, with the cooperation of the Wolfe City Police Department and the Hunt County District Attorney’s Office. No additional information is being released at this time.”

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/10/05/police-officer-shaun-david-lucas-arrested-charged-with-murder-in-connection-to-jonathan-price-slaying/

Baldur_Odinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Waiting for more info.

citgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP to mans.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By reactor
Avatar image for deactivated-5ff45903d43d7
deactivated-5ff45903d43d7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn...just imagine being in this situation. I’m scared just by thinking of it. I feel really bad 😞

Anyway, why are you guys saying we should wait?

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The policeman said he was trying to shoot him in the eye but he missed

KnockoutPunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and he was supposedly a police apologist and white dick rider

Poetic justice? Hard and short lived life lesson for him to learn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@cocacolaman:

Its bullshit. White people get killed all the time but u don't see them complaing. What makes black people so special.

Will Payton had already posted this video in another thread. But, really unfortunate. All we have is what was said about the situation versus something like a body cam; but, since the officer has been charged with homicide, it must be as described or possibly much worse.

KnockoutPunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverinebatmanftw: nothing disgusting about it, it's real. If anything the situation is ironic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobeymaguire84:

Wtf are you talking about? When discussing police brutality, daniel shaver is often brought up as a prime example, up there with Floyd, Taylor, Garner etc.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@tobeymaguire84: wtf are you talking about XD. That is something that is always brought up, and is a perfect example of why police reform needs to be a thing. I mean the amount of mentally ill people who are check for wellness check and instead get kill is terrible. I mean even if the killings are not due to inherent racism, you can probably agree some of them are really terrible trained.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Calling for better police training?

I 'member being called a racist for suggesting that, instead of de-funding the police.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok:

So you read some news of an innocent civillian shot to death by police officer, and your first thought is: "well, I had a solution, but then THEY called ME a racist, so clearly I'm vindicated"?

Yikes.

Stay off the internet for a bit maybe? Bit of fresh air in your backyard might do some good.

Avatar image for teaganwallis193
teaganwallis193

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to live in Earth anymore. Can we scientists colonise Mars already?

Anyway, RIP. xx

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Thekillerklok

@wolverinebatmanftw said:

@thekillerklok:

So you read some news of an innocent civillian shot to death by police officer, and your first thought is: "well, I had a solution, but then THEY called ME a racist, so clearly I'm vindicated"?

Yikes.

Stay off the internet for a bit maybe? Bit of fresh air in your backyard might do some good.

nah, you missed my point entirely it seems.

I was called a racist for daring to suggest that instead of defunding the police you should instead increase budgets for training.

then I see lefties being like, "But you know what we need better training for police officers!"

and here I am going "Careful there buddy, that's racist apparently."

at least... that's what I I think I remember of the point I made a month+ ago.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok:

And it seems you missed mine. You didn't take even one moment to just pay a little bit or respect or even simply acknowledge how awful this is -- no, you jumped straight into how you've been called a racist in the past about something that nobody here (to the best of my knowledge) has called you racist over. Whether or not you were called a racist in the past, and whether or not we should worry about being called racists is, in this thread, a totally irrelevant point.

And also, while we're talking about it, I'm aware that there are many conflicting accounts regarding what the whole "defund the police" (IMO an awful slogan btw) movement is, I think the ideal version of this idea is to reduce the number things cops deal with, and limit it mostly to potentially violent situations. That doesn't necessarily conflict with the concept of better police training IMO. A less broad field of view, and so less funding, but also as a result fewer LEOs and therefore more funds for training.

Anyway, that's just my take.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok:

And it seems you missed mine. You didn't take even one moment to just pay a little bit or respect or even simply acknowledge how awful this is -- no, you jumped straight into how you've been called a racist in the past about something that nobody here (to the best of my knowledge) has called you racist over. Whether or not you were called a racist in the past, and whether or not we should worry about being called racists is, in this thread, a totally irrelevant point.

And also, while we're talking about it, I'm aware that there are many conflicting accounts regarding what the whole "defund the police" (IMO an awful slogan btw) movement is, I think the ideal version of this idea is to reduce the number things cops deal with, and limit it mostly to potentially violent situations. That doesn't necessarily conflict with the concept of better police training IMO. A less broad field of view, and so less funding, but also as a result fewer LEOs and therefore more funds for training.

Anyway, that's just my take.

Frankly I find the practice of signaling to show how concerned, sensitive and woke you are, via using the death of an black man as a social stepping stool, a bit tasteless. So, instead of doing that, I keep my fefe's to myself and moved on to more Germaine topics.

and I was mocking the double standards and the complete lack of clear messaging.

My expectation with reducing the number of cops, means either increased response times, or increased instances where people are tazed and shot because the cops on site physically could not control the perp.

mantraxsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Smh.

Whathappened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cops are inherently racist towards black people, in part due to racial profiling. It's to the point where black police officers are getting pulled over and shot by white cops. Can you imagine a judge getting that treatment?

Avatar image for deactivated-601ac24c0b37b
deactivated-601ac24c0b37b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m not one to believe all cops are out to get us but there is a deep fear they have toward black people.

For instance cops seem less likely to attempt to deescalate a situation when a blacks person is involved when compared to white people.

Avatar image for deactivated-601ac24c0b37b
deactivated-601ac24c0b37b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok:

The main thing people in my area propose is implementing specialized training for officers in different roles.

For instance I don’t expect officers to handle psychotic break downs or manic episodes with finesse. This is quite frankly why people don’t call officers when hey have a mentally ill relatives go on a rampage.

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Generalization ‘s a heck of a drug, folks

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@cocacolaman:

Simple.

Black people care about other black people whereas white people couldn't care less about themselves. I've seen that exact video before, it should upset white people and make them want change but it doesn't because white people are so used to positive viewpoints of police that they see the event as a one off. Meanwhile black people see each other harassed and affected by police misconduct, which is far more widespread than police brutality, and we feel it deeply.

What makes black people so special? Our ability to view each other as family even if we're millions of miles apart.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok:

The main thing people in my area propose is implementing specialized training for officers in different roles.

For instance I don’t expect officers to handle psychotic break downs or manic episodes with finesse. This is quite frankly why people don’t call officers when hey have a mentally ill relatives go on a rampage.

Often of the many body cam videos of incidents where a cop goes off and shoots someone, it's often rookies with no way of physically controlling the situation. Having the strength/martial training to control the situation without reaching for the toolbelt, has been something I have been a longtime advocate for.

but I could get behind having some experienced cops organize more frequent classes on de-escalating situations.

What I can't get behind are the lunatics who want to get rid of violent crimes divisions.

And I have put a bit of thought into how a city could implement a widescale drug rehabilitation program as cost effectively as possible. (As most of the cities with the worst drugs problems are broke as shit.)

But that has to be paired up with bringing in jobs to the areas, and an effective police presence to deal with the drug dealers.

Whathappened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

White cops

Baldur_Odinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shut up.

gelato_exotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Olorun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@incursion2: race is definitely an issue. But not Entirely in the sense he said. It's more to do with media stereotypes and continuous racist propagation and how we don't filter who we hire well enough.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thekillerklok:

Ooft, I forgot about this thread.

Anyway,

So acknowledging how bad a situation is and paying a bit of respect to a police brutality victim is now nothing but tasteless virtue signalling and social climbing?

...yikes.

Maybe you ought to get off the internet for some time.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By incursion2

@olorun said:

@incursion2: race is definitely an issue. But not Entirely in the sense he said. It's more to do with media stereotypes and continuous racist propagation and how we don't filter who we hire well enough.

Ill agree with that, when you talk about race in that sense.

Whathappened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some cops. Race isn't the issue.

You're not very smart, are you?

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@incursion2 said:

Some cops. Race isn't the issue.

You're not very smart, are you?

Smart enough to know that statistically race is a very minor factor in police related fatalities.