What movie franchises that listened to the criticisms and improved?

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

What movies can you name where you can clearly see that the filmmakers or the studio listened to the criticisms of their first movie or first few movies and improved the sequel or next movie in the line by fixing those flaws?

An example I'd give is Kong: Skull Island. The 2014 Godzilla is hit and miss for most but one of the biggest criticisms for it was that Godzilla was not in the movie enough and that the characters who were meant to occupy our time until his next appearance were not that interesting. In Skull Island, not only is Kong in the movie more than Godzilla was, but when he was not onscreen there were still interesting things happening, so you didn't feel like your time was being wasted until his next showing. The film makers/the studio listened to the first movie's criticisms and made sure not to make the same mistakes in their next movie.

Heck, I'd argue Wonder Woman is similar. The problem with Man of Steel and BvS wasn't the darker tone but the lack of humanity to balance it. I imagine Suicide Squad contributed to this too, as WB realized jokes do not equal humanity or character. The characters in Wonder Woman had humanity to them. They felt like people first before anything else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

DCEU is the biggest Example.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mrmonster
  • Dredd. They clearly learned a lot from the Silvester Stallone Judge Dredd movie. Personally I consider Dredd just an okay movie, but it's clearly above the original Dredd.
  • The MCU. After Iron Man 2, they learned a valuable lesson; you can't make a movie simply for the sake of setting up other movies, a movie has to be able to stand on it's own.
  • The DCEU. They learned the same lesson from Batman v Superman that Marvel Studios learned from Iron Man 2. However, some studios still don't seem to understand this; just look at The Mummy.
  • Pirates of the Carribean. Dead Men Tell No Tales was not great, but it was clearly better than On Stranger Tides. I think the biggest lesson they learned from On Stranger Tides is that the strongest part of any Pirates of the Caribbean movie is the villain, and Blackbeard was the dullest villain of the entire franchise.
  • Wolverine. Fox clearly listened to what fans wanted and finally gave us an R-rated Wolverine movie, even though they knew it would cost them at the box office.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mrmonster: Every Pirates of The Caribbean movie has gotten progressively worse than the one before it.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mrmonster

@all-father: I agree up until Dead Men Tell No Tales. I think Dead Men Tell No Tales is leagues above On Stranger Tides and slightly above At World's End. At least Dead Men Tell No Tales had a decent villain.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Alien. Although Prometheus and Alien Covenant aren't as good as the first two entries in the franchise, they are a damn sight better than Alien 3 and 4 or the AvP movies. Speaking of which, the Predator franchise has not improved, nor has the Terminator or Robocop franchises. In these cases the early movies were really good, but went down hill. Alien is the only one that's made a bit of a comeback.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

#7  Edited By black_wreath

Annabelle and Ouija.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't recall if it was because of audience criticism exactly, but ESB was shot more tightly and was more mature in tone than ANH which I thought improved it critically and objectively while still maintaining its well-roundedness and all-ages feel.

Usha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'd say horror films in general but that's not a franchise.

Speaking of which, the Predator franchise has not improved.

You should read the script of the new one. Absolutely terrible. Not an improvement whatsoever.