What are the worst comic book runs for a big name character?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f
deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

At first I was going to just ask what are the worst cb runs overall...... but that wouldn't be as interesting because I'm sure there's terrible things out there no one has ever heard of.

My question is.... what are your least favorite comic book runs for a popular character or team?

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Austen’s X-Men immediately comes to mind. Finch’s Wonder Woman is dire as well.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not enjoying current Batman's storyline.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Skyfire

Clone Saga

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

One More Day- Spider-Man

Cornells Wolverine

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f
deactivated-5b8a3b8a2f17f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I am currently disliking Tom King's Batman and Cornell's Wolverine was one of the worst Wolverine run imo,

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Spider-Man Clone saga basically said the last twenty years of what readers had been enjoying was built on a lie.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By The_Kidd

Almost everyone run on N52 Superman was pretty bad

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

*cries*

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slott Surfer comes to mind, terrible comic. If the Guardians count, any time Bendis touched them.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

I strongly disagree. People have too much recency bias in this regard. Post-Crisis Superman was a lot worse for years, as in straight up bad and boring as hell. It picked up a lot right before n52, but lets not forget we had stories like Grounded.

That being said, Truth was absolute trash

Avatar image for stalin-is-steel
Stalin-Is-Steel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Stalin-Is-Steel

Clone Saga. All of it. Batman mid 2000's was garbage as well. Thank god we got a reboot to that mess. Daniel Way's last few stories on Deadpool were crap.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fearless defenders.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

I strongly disagree. People have too much recency bias in this regard. Post-Crisis Superman was a lot worse for years, as in straight up bad and boring as hell. It picked up a lot right before n52, but lets not forget we had stories like Grounded.

I don't disagree N52 may have jump started the character but I was referring to the main N52 Superman title which consistently sucked. George Perez, Scott Lobdell, Geoff Johns & Gene Yang runs were all disappointing. DC thought so too as they brought Johns on to make the book more readable however he decided to bail after his first arc focus on Darkseid Wars/Rebirth. At-lest he came up with the idea for Truth before leaving. Lol.

The only decent stories in that run was He'l on Earth & Men of Tomorrow which set the bar remarkably low.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How could I forget Thor. Thor easily. Also whatever the hell Aaron is doing to Avengers rn

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aaron's current Thor

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@the_kidd said:

I don't disagree N52 may have jump started the character but I was referring to the main N52 Superman title which consistently sucked. George Perez, Scott Lobdell, Geoff Johns & Gene Yang runs were all disappointing. DC thought so too as they brought Johns on to make the book more readable however he decided to bail after his first arc focus on Darkseid Wars/Rebirth. At-lest he came up with the idea for Truth before leaving. Lol.

The only decent stories in that run was He'l on Earth & Men of Tomorrow which set the bar remarkably low.

Yeah, I agree with that. I'm just saying the Post-Crisis stories were consitently mediocre and boring for a while before the n52 (excluding the year before where we got the Lex run and the new Doomsday).

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lobdell’s run on New 52 Teen Titans ruined Tim Drake for me

deathstroke512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kings bats though it does have good moments some times.But I doubt anything can top frank miller's all star batman.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aaron's Thor.

SHEMMY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frank miller's all star batman

P3vori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So hard to choose. So many current marvel comics. Frank Miller’s all Star batman. That one time Lifeld was the artist for captain America.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

Bringing up bad memories of me masochistically reading every new issue knowing it was going to be terrible...

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aarons Thor, Kings Batman

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Nobody care about Adventure Time comic, but whatever, the Christopher Hasting run was terrible, especially compare to Ryan North.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison's X-Men. Ruinous shit.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#29  Edited By Outside_85

@buttersdaman000 said:

@the_kidd said:

Grounded was indeed ponderous rubbish, but I have to say the first Perez-penned Superman run of the New 52 was much worse. Because as Perez described it, it was a work by committee. He'd write his stuff, send it in, they'd then change what they wanted to change (which Perez refused to do or even know what they did). On top of that, Perez had to write it blindfolded because Morrison was doing his thing in Action Comics and wasn't telling George whenever Ma & Pa Kent were even alive and stuff like that. And finally, they were also using Perez's book to start building up towards the whole Demonites thing that ultimately ended up going nowhere.

Other terrible runs, of recent memory:

• Scott Lobdell's Teen Titans: For failing to get any of the characters right, for bastardizing the team into a X-Men knockoff, stupid villains, and generally terrible writing. I could have nominated McKeever's run, but I find that's unfair because so much of the crap from that run was editorially mandated. And I could have put Henderson's run as well for the same reason as Lobdell, but I rate hers as the less terrible one because it was relatively short, and Lobdell was actively in danger of ruining the team for years to come as he was dealing with the 'template' others might have to follow... but considering the state of the team right now, he did pretty much ruin it.
  • Wonder Woman by the Finch's: Following Azzarello's run you got a writer who didn't care about the character, and pretty much made Diana into everything certain people accused Azzarello of doing: making Diana violent, angry, aggressive, weak, inept, stupid and so on. On top of that they deliberately butchered Donna Troy and tried to make her into a villain, and finished off by pretty much undoing every single change Azzarello had made during his run. Dead gods came back to life, villains turned allies returned to villainy, Zeus returned to the throne, the sons of the Amazons were all killed off.
  • James Robinson's JLA: It was just terrible from one end to the other, the team was made up entirely of placeholders who did the main job, and some extra's who were off doing something else. Then you had several times where big named characters would proclaim 'this is the Justice League!', which just made it feel forced. I recall one instance of Superman hammering with his fists on a barrier while screaming 'The Justice League is in there!'. Also, before the Finch's deliberately butchered her, Robinson gave us the worst Donna Troy we've ever seen... a seething angry woman who cussed and swore in every fight she got into. And all of this was really sad to me because when it was first announced I thought: "Super, finally the Titans are moving up in the world." And we got this instead...
  • Gail Simone's Batgirl: I put it up there because most people seemed to love Gail's handling of Babs as Oracle in her Birds of Prey run, people liked her silly take on the Secret Six villains. And then we came to Barbara getting her legs back, as many fans had dreamed of and demanded for years... and what did we get? A scowling, overly serious Barbara suffering from PTSD, who didn't seem to be able to move on from her injury... where simply the memory of or reminder could freeze her in place. There was none of the fun we'd come to expect from Gail's writing and the character didn't feel like she should... so really, I was glad when that run was written off as having gone up in flames along with Dinah's dojo by the time she moved to Burnside.

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers