Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Edited By ProfessorRespect
No Caption Provided

This design is.....something

Introduction

Zom is a ancient mystical being that was sealed by Eternity and Dormammu off-screen due to his destructive nature. Dr Strange freed him in order to defeat Umar, but was incapable of dealing with the much more powerful threat until bigger players marched in to handle the guy. What are his feats? Here are them.

Zom scales to the older version of Doctor Strange (NOT "Classic" which doesn't exist) so resources for those are provided here and here.

Matter Manipulation

Scan 1/2- Merges Ancient One into stone (Strange Tales #157)

Mystical Absorbing

Scan 1/2- Even when massively drained after being sealed with Eternity's enchantment again, it can feed on magic to regain power immensely quickly, though starts off in a weak form. Said weak form is still able to resist and break out of Rintrah'sspells while growing stronger. (Doctor Strange- Sorcerer Supreme #20)

Scan 3/4- Strange beats him with a vacuum cleaner? Not as bad as you think; baby Zom's draining sapped up the material around him alongside the raw magic, meaning he literally ended up gathering dust: when the cleaner was used, Zom had to follow the dust he'd taken in with him. Strange mentions that had he remained for slightly longer he would've entered into his next phase, which is implied to be his actual full power form.

Mystical Enchantments

Scan 1/2- His forelock disguises his presence from other beings (alongside storing his full evil) needing Strange to use the Eye of Agamotto and destroying his cape in order to get the strands off (Strange Tales #157)

Scan 3- Said higher beings include the Living Tribunal, who is the only one seemingly capable of banishing Zom once more.

No Caption Provided

Uses the Seven Bands of Cyttorak (a seemingly far improved version of the Crimson Bands) to bind Strange/Ancient One (Strange Tales #157)

Reality Warping

Scan 1/2 Attempts to merge Strange into a nameless nothing, only defied by Strange invoking the Vishanti and the additional power of the Ancient One (Strange Tales #157)

Statements

Scan 1/2- Even a restrained Zom (chained arms) is far beyond Doctor Strange and Umar (Strange Tales #156)

Strength

Scan 1- Negs Umar's enchantments and forces her to flee (Strange Tales #156)

Scan 2- Recap states she was "driven away" by his greater power (Doctor Strange- Sorcerer Supreme #23)

No Caption Provided

Was only defeated originally by Eternity and Dormammu (Strange Tales #156)

Scan 1/2- Staggers Strange with a thunderclap, but is unable to kill him due to Tribunal emerging (Strange Tales #157)

Scan 1/2- His evil of merely being awakened forces Living Tribunal to try to nuke Earth in order to stop his corrupting energies travelling across the cosmos (Strange Tales #159)

ZomBuster

Scan 1/2- Bashes a bunch of heroes (Hercules, Angel, Cho, Namoria, etc) while in control of the WWH Hulkbuster suit. This was due to Zom's essence being used by Doctor Strange (we'll get to that) and it being leaked by Strange's defeat allowed Zom to transfer hosts to the Hulkbuster instead. Scaling for this one here (though not perfect due to the suit being damaged extensively) (The Incredible Hulk #111)

Scan 3- Continues to beat down on Hercules despite his best attempts.

Scan 1/2- Smashes though heroes while borrowing underground, with them incapable of overpowering or slowing it down (The Incredible Hulk #111)

Scan 1/2- Bypasses SHIELD-quality bunker to try to get access to weapons of mass destruction (The Incredible Hulk #111)

Scan 3- Is ultimately stopped by Cho hacking into the Hulkbuster software and manipulating Zom into changing hosts, where he's then beat up by Angel and sealed by Wong using the original Eternity enchantments. It's explained earlier that Zom is at his weakest when entering a new host, which explains why he was defeated so easily.

Zom Strange

Scan 1/2/3/4- Dominates Green Scar, blasting him internally and sending him flying around (World War Hulk #4)

Scan 1/2/3- Only restrains due to what remains of Strange's morals, making him hesitate in doing the job and losing as a result. (World War Hulk #4)

No Caption Provided

Was merely a fragment of Zom that Strange used. Greg Pak has also gone on record to state that Strange's human body also limited how much of Zom he could manifest, though this seems to be lost as of present. (Incredible Hulk #111)

Scan 1/2- Wrecks members of Green Scar's Warbound (World War Hulk #3)

Scan 1/2/3/4- Strange invoking the essences of Zom later on while disgraced is able to one shot all of Hood's massive superhuman army in one go, alongside the Avengers fighting them. This also allowed Strange to survive lethal wounds and seemingly regenerate from them. (New Avengers Annual #2)

Scan 1/2- Bashes around Green Scar Hulk again (Incredible Hulks #619)

No Caption Provided

Is stronger than ever according to Banner despite not having Strange's magic to rely on (Incredible Hulks #619)

Scan 1/2- Gets beat up by Old Power Skaar and Hiroim (Incredible Hulks #619)

Scan 3- Strange is (almost) depowered from Zom's essence, but is unsuccessful. (Incredible Hulks #620)

Scan 1/2- Is beaten by Death being invoked to seemingly separate him from Doctor Strange....albeit there is some context provided by them explaining that Strange was resisting Zom internally, thus making his defeat slightly tainted by that fact (Incredible Hulks #620)

Conclusion

All in all, Zom is a character that rather bizarrely is probably more known for being invoked than actually as his own physical self lol. Not shocking given he only showed up for two half-issues all things considered. The lack of showings does clearly show how powerful Zom is though: a being that can't even exist with the usual Hell Lords because of his sheer tendency to destroy stuff. The Avatar showings later on are....a bit less impressive as you'd imagine, though I've given the best explanations possible for why these showings are why they are.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nice thread! Just something to add, but it actually took Odin as well to defeat Zom:

Marvel Encyclopedia, New Edition

jimohkolawol10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 jimohkolawol10  Online

Never read of this character but nice respect thread man👍🥇

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice thread! Just something to add, but it actually took Odin as well to defeat Zom:

Nothing like a random statement from a third party that contradicts everything before it lol, classic comic antics. Much thanks.

Never read of this character but nice respect thread man👍🥇

Thank

Avatar image for applekidthethird
Applekidthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Applekidthethird

@professorrespect: appreciate you making this my dude, it's great!

Man, I love OG Zom's design. Really feels otherworldly.

No Caption Provided

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Good respect thread.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good respect thread.

Any suggestions for future additions?

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@terry2012 said:

Good respect thread.

Yeah. Blue marvel, Supreme, and The Plutonian.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect said:
@terry2012 said:

Good respect thread.

Pretty sure all of them already have RT's on CV and co.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WastelandMan  Online

Great job, even adding his possessed forms.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@terry2012 said:
@professorrespect said:
@terry2012 said:

Good respect thread.

Okay. How about Ultra Boy from Legion of Superheroes, Cheshire, Fin Fan Foom, Ultraman (Marvel Comics Ultraman), Kaiju Kid, and Kid Omega? Have you done one on SuperGiant?

Applekidthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Applekidthethird

@professorrespect: if I may be so bold, I would suggest a respect thread for New 52 - current Etrigan. If that works for you, obviously : )

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect said:
@terry2012 said:
@professorrespect said:
@terry2012 said:

Good respect thread.

Okay. How about Ultra Boy from Legion of Superheroes, Cheshire, Fin Fan Foom, Ultraman (Marvel Comics Ultraman), Kaiju Kid, and Kid Omega? Have you done one on SuperGiant?

I've done Foom and Omega, not the rest though. Thanks for the options.

@professorrespect: if I may be so bold, I would suggest a respect thread for New 52 - current Etrigan. If that works for you, obviously : )

That could be done. Not sure if right at this point, but sure.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Eisenfauste

Nice RT. Dude needs a retcon on looks. Ponytail and shovel face aint cutting it.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice RT. Dude needs a retcon on looks. Ponytail and shovel face aint cutting it.

They kinda already did that with the first scan on the left in the "Strength" section. They basically just made him more hairy and adjusted his weird proportions a bit. Apart from that he's never actually been shown physically since, so I guess it's just a Cyttorak situation?

Applekidthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@applekidthethird said:

No Caption Provided

Applekidthethird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Applekidthethird
@eisenfauste said:

How can you look at this face and say it isn't beautiful???

No Caption Provided

Now that's what you call a glamor shot!

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

They seriously need to bring this guy back. At full power. Feels like wasted potential that an entity so dangerous that LT had to step in to contain hasn't had many appearances.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They seriously need to bring this guy back. At full power. Feels like wasted potential that an entity so dangerous that LT had to step in to contain hasn't had many appearances.

If they brought him back he'd be fodder for Captain Marvel probably

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 owie  Moderator

This is a great one. I really do love his design. It's like he was intentionally drawn to look like as bad a design as possible, just to see how people would react.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@terry2012 said:
@professorrespect said:
@terry2012 said:
@professorrespect said:
@terry2012 said:

Good respect thread.

I've done Foom and Omega, not the rest though. Thanks for the options.

@applekidthethird said:

Okay. You are welcome.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie said:

This is a great one. I really do love his design. It's like he was intentionally drawn to look like as bad a design as possible, just to see how people would react.

He's drawn so ugly because we can't comprehend how bad he actually is etc

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 owie  Moderator
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie said:

@professorrespect: he's the anti-sublime.

Zom's basically just a Kristeva-Abjection, you can't understand him beyond how ugly he looks! Lol.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 owie  Moderator

@professorrespect: Lol, it's funny I used to be all about the Abject and I haven't thought about it in years.

The Grotesque!

I was actually reading some old Thor and Eternals and thought you could do Dromedan and Tutinax, the Deviant mutates. Both highly hyped as badasses (some reality to that, some hype) in their couple of appearances each.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 owie  Moderator
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ProfessorRespect
@owie said:

@professorrespect: Or is he a Haraway chimera?

Nice!

@owie said:

@professorrespect: Lol, it's funny I used to be all about the Abject and I haven't thought about it in years.

The Grotesque!

I was actually reading some old Thor and Eternals and thought you could do Dromedan and Tutinax, the Deviant mutates. Both highly hyped as badasses (some reality to that, some hype) in their couple of appearances each.

Seems reasonable enough, I'll have a look. I have covered Dromedan, however.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

Always been intrigued by this guy! Thanks PR

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 owie  Moderator

Seems reasonable enough, I'll have a look. I have covered Dromedan, however.

I should have just assumed!

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Lilbroomstick

@professorrespect: Actually good! Would you consider doing respect threads for Starbrand or Watoomb?

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: Actually good! Would you consider doing respect threads for Starbrand or Watoomb?

Which Starbrand?

Watoomb appears even less than Zom and does next to nothing. I'd be spending most of the RT talking about his gear or him being invoked.

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilbroomstick said:

Which Starbrand?

Watoomb appears even less than Zom and does next to nothing. I'd be spending most of the RT talking about his gear or him being invoked.

The starbrands aren't connected? He always seemed powerful. I'm sure the one on the reddit respect thread has more feats

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lilbroomstick
@straight-fire said:

@lilbroomstick: nice to see you. Where you been at?

CV has always been a bittersweet place to come to. I have some threads that I may or may not ever get around to planned lol other than that idk if I care to do much, especially since the energy of some discord CVers is already awful enough to be around as it is.