Rants from the Red Room.

RedRoomWriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By RedRoomWriter

Since I'm new to this blogging business but not new to comics, I thought this would be a good Blog series to start with.

We all have our own personal thoughts on Modern Comics, throughout this blog and any other that falls under RFTRR (Just think Pizza Dog when you make that sound, feels good doesn't it?) I'll be sharing my thoughts quite openly and honestly, no punches pulled and a raw as you can possibly get with your clothes on...So without further Ado, lets begin!

Superior Spider-Man, little did Ghost Peter or we know, this is in for the long haul.
Superior Spider-Man, little did Ghost Peter or we know, this is in for the long haul.

Of Course, the first Item on my Agenda is the often Polarising topic of Superior Spider-Man, Love it or Hate it, noone can Deny Dan Slott has done a pretty good job presenting his case through Otto and perhaps turned a few heads in the process.

Otto Octavius has been shown to us as "More than a mere Genius gone bad", not that he wasn't before, sure during the 80's and 90's Otto had lost a lot of his Mojo but lets be honest, a lot of the goofy rubbish they pulled with him in the 70's and 80's really did not help his case, especially when Comics were beginning to take a Darker, Grittier turn around that time and Norman Osborn had displaced him as the number uno Spider-Man Villain in Petes abudant Rogues Gallery, so yes Otto needed an edge, something to make him relevant again...Dan Slott delivered on this and more with Ends of The Earth...

So I suppose the Question is, was there really a need for Dying Wish and the Subsequent Superior Spider-Man series?

Yes and No.

You can say that again Doc.
You can say that again Doc.

Peter Parker has been around for some fifty years, with only a brief "Death" during the Clone Saga in which he found himself replaced by his Clone Ben Reilly (If you don't know who Ben Reilly is, the Scarlet Spider was the best thing about the Clone Saga and the only reason it was worth a read) he took time out from being Spider-Man in "Spider-Man No More" other than that Peter Parker has probably had the most stable run of the Big Three household names of Superheroes (Superman & Batman have both had much longer hiatuses from the pages of DC, Bruce being the most notable having been replaced for an entire Year by Jean Paul Valley following Knightfall and for several more months by Dick Grayson in the run up to Flashpoint) so it should come as little suprise that Marvel probably wanted to give everyones favorite Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man a rest, if anything for Writings sake (as a person that takes the time to write stories of characters for my own enjoyment, I can understand the need to shake things up and change the status quo from time to time) so when Peter does return to the comics (No Doubt the same time Amazing Spider-Man 2 hits the Big Screen) there should be a much more energetic feel to the writing.

At the same time, I feel Peter had reached a good point with Dan Slott telling great stories that brought a new lease of life to those old Parker bones, Big Time was simply breathtaking, Grim Hunt was savage and set pulses racing then we saw him pushed to his limits in Ends of The Earth and even saw him struggle to overcome his trademark Spider-sense being meddled with, I really feel Slott could have kept this going for quite some time, afterall he worked so hard to erase the catastrophic disaster of "One More Day/Brand New Day" from our minds that he kind of owed it to himself to forever etch himself in Comicdom Legend...

But he has done it the wrong way.

This is not to say I disagree with the idea of Otto Octavius as Superior Spider-Man, I disagree with the whole handling of it, the despicable and quite frankly arogant behaviour on twitter of a man that in my honest opinion could have been as memorable as Todd Macfarlane and even Frank Miller. Slott has chosen Notority over Fame and continues to behave in a manner that is unbecoming of a Proffessional staff writer.

As a Result of this, Spider-Man has lost some of it's long term fans, probably for good, some of these people are the people that collected every issue and would track down the rarer issues, the collectors, the die hards that read every story and went through the entire rollercoaster that was Peter Parker and Spider-Man, but the blatant disrespect that Slott has shown through his behaviour on twitter has lost these long time lovers of all things Spider-Man either entirely from comics or to Rival companies like DC or even Image....

Not Good for Business.

You'll have to hand out a lot of Spider-Man plushes to make up for some of those comments Mr Slott.
You'll have to hand out a lot of Spider-Man plushes to make up for some of those comments Mr Slott.

However this isn't to say that Superior Spider-Man is doing poorly, in fact it's selling incredibly well, the writing is still what you would expect from Dan Slott and it really does paint an entire picture of Otto Octavius, really giving him a real humanising aspect. So Slott is doing quite a few things right.

Love or Loathe the current Superior Spider-Man and Dan Slott, there is one thing for Certain....

Superior Spider-Man is here for some time and we are all just going to have to get used to it.

Your Humble Pie is served.