Is the Civil War film better than the comic?

JohnBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is the Civil War film better than the comic? (47 votes)

Yes 49%
No 51%
 • 
anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 anthp2000  Moderator

I respect the source material for more or less opening way for the cinematic version, but the latter was much more well executed in my opinion. They are not easy to compare, though. Doesn't help when the name of the event is virtually the only thing that is the exact same for both adaptions.

Avatar image for deactivated-64456b84cf5e8
deactivated-64456b84cf5e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah well every MCU fan likes Cap being a betrayer and a stooge so why not.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie was a better, but that isn't saying much. The comic was loaded with out of character portrayals, over reaching, try hard political parallels, and a horrible resolution.

The main thing that was silly about the movie is that it wasn't much of a "war", it was more like a very one sided skirmish at an airport. But I guess Captain America: Airport Fight wouldn't sound as epic.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 morpheus_  Moderator

As precarious as the setting was for the film, the comic book was atrocious. Millar wanted to make some political commentary and used established characters as his mouthpieces. Once he realized there was backlash, he just said he wanted to write a series about "heroes fighting each other."

It's ridiculous, one way or another.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ProfessorRespect

For as much as the MCU flops on itself when it comes to storylines, the movie was FAR better than the comic. Civil War continues to be a disaster of a political setpiece combined with some of the worst character writing (New Warriors, Cap, Iron Man, etc) for a good while.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I actually really enjoyed the Civil War comic, but that's probably because I don't have much knowledge about how these heroes supposed to behave, lol.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They are both filth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For as much as the MCU flops on itself when it comes to storylines, the movie was FAR better than the comic. Civil War continues to be a disaster of a political setpiece combined with some of the worst character writing (New Warriors, Cap, Iron Man, etc) for a good while.

Millar's Cap is the only thing good thing about Civil War and it's far better than MCU Cap.

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

@vishop_: Millar's Cap sucks. Idk how you could say he was good outside of a few catchphrases.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect said:

@vishop_: Millar's Cap sucks. Idk how you could say he was good outside of a few catchphrases.

Well if you are not a fan of Millar's narrative for Steve's character but most of the fandom of Captain America like Millar's Cap because he is not some stooge like MCU Cap and an excellent field leader.

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Civil war is probably the worst mcu movie imo

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: mot too mention that fight served no purpose except to look kool.

Wolviesnikt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both are terrible.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mcflicky said:

No. Civil war is probably the worst mcu movie imo

Worse than Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk? I really doubt that

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My nephew is with me in this quarantine days and to my immense "pleasure" he's spending his time rewatching lots all of the MCU flicks. So I end up glancing at them too from time to time. I even rewatched Winter Soldier in its entirety with him. Anyway, he got to Civil War right after and I gotta say, they did give both parties solid individual voices. In the beginning I felt that Cap's transition from a poster boy to rebel felt forced, but it was all done in a very organic way. Stark's everpresent "altruistic utilitarianism" for the lack of better term was a perfect counter ideology to Rogers' self righteous sense of justice. Cap wasn't just a mere product of romanticized American ideal of a hero, he become the living embodiment of it. At the same time Stark got his own messiah complex with his own archetypal traits which would lead to a perfect clash of ideals. Well, it was SUPPOSED to lead to a perfect clash of ideals, eventually seeing how MCU Civil War was devolved to the Airport Property Ruining Sparring, and subsequent clash intensifying only based off soap opera vendetta tropes, this potential has been completely wasted.

The comic while filled with sensationalist crap and out of character moments, still offered a fresh look at superhero inflation. It did FEEL like superhero Civil War. For better or worse. Not much to add, read it LONG time ago.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don’t see how it’s not

WordWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's actually good and the comic's terrible so...yeah.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

neither

Avatar image for chicago_bastard
chicago_bastard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least the motivations in the film made sense whereas the comic was just stupid in that regard.

Dmnb2wavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dmnb2wavy

@ready_4_madness said:

The comic is way better because the difference in stakes between the two is large. Iron Man vs Captain America and Bucky was the highlight of the film imo but that’s was such a small section of the film.

The stakes being higher doesn’t make a story better just saying.

anyway I think the comic is far worse. Tony was so out of character for that story and both sides acted Like they could not talk it out. No instead they fought like idiots especially cap.

Dmnb2wavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m honestly surprised the most of the comments say film but the votes say comic.

anyway The comic is trash as the whole crutch of their conflict could of been solved by negotiating or talking like real leaders do.

Avatar image for asgardianweapon
asgardianweapon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think both fail short of what they could be

Dmnb2wavy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmnb2wavy: the stakes being higher makes the difference to me. The Civil War movie lacked intensity and that dropped major points for me.

Eh I disagree. The stakes should not be that high or at least as high as the comic version. This is after all a fight between friends.

I’m not gonna lie I’m way more of a DC guy so Tony and Reed being out of character didn’t really bother me. And this is coming from someone that regards CW to be the best MCU film.

Well that explains a lot then.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 takenstew22  Moderator

I actually like the MCU film more. The comic was disgusting and treated the characters like some sort of nazis.

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mutant1230: I suppose iron man 2 might be worse but I still enjoy incredible hulk. I just feel like civil war was completely pointless. It was just made to split the heroes up for infinity war. Other than that, it didn't really amount to anything

JohnBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. Poor Iron Man in the comic. And Spider-man.