I haven't bought a single issue in forever...

TechParadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By TechParadox

It's true.  No, this isn't a screed advocating comic book piracy - I'm talking about buying an individual issue of a book as opposed to a collected volume.  I used to be that guy that hung out at the comic book shop for hours on end.  If it had a Marvel, DC, or Image logo on it, I seriously considered buying it.  I bought my own copy of Previews so I could pore over it and see if there was anything else out there I might miss.   I was up to my neck in "underwear pervert" books and dropping a HUGE chunk of change every Wednesday.

And then I stopped.

A big part of the catalyst that changed my habits was getting married.  My (now ex) wife didn't understand my geekdom and frowned upon my hobbies.  I couldn't make it to the comic shop every week.  So I stopped buying new issues of my books.  And then I quit altogether.  It was a weird feeling not having the adventures of old familiar friends to keep me entertained every month.

Once the split happened, I considered going back to my old ways, but I couldn't.  I had taken a good long look at the funds I had been laying out every week and I realized that it was madness to keep doing that.  Which is how I learned to love the Trade Paperback.  These days when I see a book I am interested in, I may pick up a single issue to see if it's worth reading, and then I just wait for the trade.  I figure if it's good enough to warrant a collected volume, then it's worth buying the collected volume later on down the road.  Otherwise, I'll just say to heck with it and forget the book ever existed.  I have to wonder if other people do the same thing I do or if they still go with the fanboy "Must buy every issue ever made!" route.

baker1skter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By baker1skter

yea TPB are really convenient, and in the end you buy the comic for the stories/art, and since the TPB is alot cheaper then buying single issue, it s a good alternative . so just just keep doing what your doing if your happy with it. 

and since your budget  doesn't allow to throw out a large chunk of cash each Wednesday, then you might as well wait it out.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

TPB's are better nowadays anyway. Single issues are more expensive than they used to be =/ Trades haven't really gone thru that much of a price change (by me anyway)
CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By CylonDorado

Yeah, I only buy issues when I feel like it's too long of a wait for a trade.
N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By N7_Normandy

It's just not the same with trades.  I buy trades of older stuff, but mainly buy single issues

the referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By the referee

I haven't bought a comic book in years. I usually go to buy either Showcases or Essentials once every two months. If you want a great read I suggest  Challengers of the Unknown Showcase any volume!

scourgexlvii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By scourgexlvii

I'm a bit like that. I buy huge collected issues of comics, be it trades, or the digital collections that I have grown to love. I used to buy more single issues, but huge scale events, like Countdown, and Civil war, made me dubious about buying single issues, since just about every comic became a tie-in, and I really didn't like those events, so I just said "screw it" and figured that I would only pick up one or two comics regularly. Then, after One More day, I gave up on Spider-Man, and then after things like Cry for justice, and Dark reign, I just gave up on single issues period, and just decided to read through my collection. I occasionally get one or two single issue comic books, but it's not like I show up at my comic book store every week, or even every month, but instead, I just try and find something I might like, after reading through reviews, and look through the store every so often to see if they have it.

God_Module

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By God_Module

I love the TPB route, but the Fanboy route is even more appealing. I'm about to have every issue of Evil Ernie in the coming months and I am so geeked about it! 
But I completely see your point of view, you are a wiser man for doing this than you will ever know. Just be happy!

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

TPBs are better value, easier to store and have no ads, but there's just something about the individual issues that makes them special, imo. 

I get most of my stuff in TPB format, with the exception of a few titles.