Finding the right comics for the kids...

fedspaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

User Lists: 3

Edited By fedspaz

Having a boy 9 (the reason I got back into comics after 20 years) and a girl that is 6, I find the search for the right titles difficult.  I need to be concerned with content first of all.  I love the fact that Marvel rates each title to give me an idea what might be appropriate for them.  And the local comic shop sets aside a section for the kid specific titles.  For the boy, he has a sub to Marvel Adventures Spider-man and Super Hero Squad (which is another topic to itself!) it was difficult to pick out more titles for his pull list.  We've settled on Batman: Brave and the Bold, Invincible Iron-man and Marvel Adventures Super Heroes.  Listening to him read Super Hero Squad and laughing out loud is music to my ears.  
Now, my daughter is a different story.  She's got a sub to Tiny Titans and LOVES that one... can't wait for it to come each month.  On her pull, we have Cars: the Adventures of Tow Mater, Archie and (for now) the Simpsons.  We had the Shrek free comic book day issue and she really like that one.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like an ongoing series.  We might have to check out Toy Story to replace the Simpsons.  Not that Simpsons is that bad, but... my daughter just doesn't get it.  She says she likes it, but...  Anybody have any thoughts on what would be good for a 6 year old girl that would be an ongoing title?

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

I pick up Scooby-Doo for my girls (5,6, and 8) otherwise I stick to Fraggle Rock or the Boom! Studios comics....unfortunatly, these are usually limited series (good for the pocket book).  From what you are getting now, looks like a good selection.
fedspaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By fedspaz

You know... I saw Fraggle Rock and had to laugh... I used to watch that show occasionally as a kid and didn't realize it was still around in some format.  I might have to check out a copy and see if my daughter likes it.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
Shrek just started up and I think it's going to be 4 issues (first issue was last week). KiZoic has a deal with Dreamworks and they are supposed to be putting out comics with their characters. KiZoic is a kids comic line.  

All the Marvel Adventures are for kids. Current series are Spider-Man and Super Heroes. There is also the Super Hero Squad
Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Also Archie puts out like 15 titles or something a month and you can get them at the supermarket. 

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By texasdeathmatch

I hear Sandman's pretty good for kids too. Blow their freakin minds

asafager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By asafager

In trade format: 
Jeff Smith's Shazam book. I haven't read it, but it got great reviews. 
Mark Waid did a run on an Incredibles comic. It was nominated for an Eisner.

-chapel-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By -chapel-

For your boy you should get him any of the Calvin and Hobbes collective books you can find.