Do You Consider a Character a Hero or Villain Depending On The Journey or The Conclusion of a Story

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do You Consider a Character a Hero or Villain Depending On The Journey or The Conclusion of a Story (14 votes)

The Character is a Hero or Villain Depending on How Heroic or Villainous He or She is for the Majority of the Story 36%
The Character is a Hero or Villain Depending on whether or not the character ends up as a Hero or Villain? 64%

When given a binary choice of hero or villain, what makes you consider the character a hero or a villain in a story?

I got this idea from my man @rikr2 's Tournament regarding whether Magneto was considered a villain by the end of the X-Men: First Class movie.

Be sure to check out his thread!

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/rikr2-awards-2011-edition-best-villain-male-2228736/?page=6#js-message-284

• 
LordTwigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By LordTwigo

How they end up at the end.

Anakin from star wars is a good example. Starts off good quite literally falls to dark side.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How they end up at the end.

Anakin from star wars is a good example. Starts off good quite literally falls to dark side.

Thanks! Darth Vader is who came to mind for this topic where he could go either way but taking in the prequels into consideration, I can see that.

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Antebellum

Their actions through their journey will tell who they are. I think the first option come closer.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who they are at the end.

Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Steve40L

In what way? Is it talking about how heroic said here was throughout the story? What they are considered as?

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Their actions through their journey will tell who they are. I think the first option come closer.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ends do not justify the means, so it’s the journey that matters more. “It all worked out in the end” does not negate the suffering that led to the resolution.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antebellum: Thanks again! Hey, what's your new avatar?

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 killbilly  Moderator

You'd only vote for option 1 if you don't believe in the idea of redemption. Everybody has committed villainous acts in their life, those acts do not define who we are since people have the capacity for change.

Antebellum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Antebellum
@killbilly said:

You'd only vote for option 1 if you don't believe in the idea of redemption.

Most victims probably won't.

Everybody has committed villainous acts in their life

There's a difference in lying, killing ants, verbal insults and some major things such as raping, murdering and some other heinous/villainous acts, so they definitely can't be grouped together.

, those acts do not define who we are since people have the capacity for change.

The person may change, but their past acts may remain forever in people minds and bodies.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ends do not justify the means, so it’s the journey that matters more. “It all worked out in the end” does not negate the suffering that led to the resolution.

I agree that ends don't justify the mean, and "It all worked out in the end" does not negate the suffering, but can you elaborate how that applies to the end of the character's journey?

Justice still may needed to be served so a character might have to go to jail or even get the death penalty, but if he or she is still remorseful and truly seeks reconciliation, I don't think the ends justify the means applies to the character's spiritual journey toward redemption since I think all that evil the character committed as villain could have made it so much more difficult for the character to be redeemed since the character could be so attached to sin, but are you just saying that from a narrative perspective, even if a character may end up a hero, there's so much evil done throughout the narrative that the character is still the villain of the piece?

How does that apply to a hero? Because if a character lives a virtuous, self-sacrificial life giving everything to everyone throughout the entire story, but in the last 5 minutes of the story decided to commit mass genocide and set up torture camps, is that character still a hero?

That's why I voted where the character ends up.

But I'd appreciate your thoughts.

SirKaboom15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A nice mixture. Perfectly balanced, as all things should be

cj_the_dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cj_the_dj

@Penguin-Dust said:

The problem with that statement is that the damage resulting from the means is inherently factored into the end. You seem to be operating under the assumption that suffering is undesirable for your justification, but surely that would mean it would be more desirable to have less suffering than more suffering, overall, no?