Batman (2016) Annual 1 Review

Elpizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This is the first annual for the Tom King's Batman and we are treated to stories from not only King and David Finch as his artist; Scott Snyder with Ray Fawkes and Declan Shalvey; Paul Dini and Neal Adams; Steve Orlando and Riley Rossmo; and finally, Scott Bryan Wilson and Bilquis Evely. The first three stories capture the upcoming holiday and offer brief happy moments for the Dark Knight, with the first one being a good-hearted tale focusing on Bruce and Alfred; the second, showing that not all times in Gotham are dark; and finally, the last showing how a certain character has become influential. These stories are funny and light and are sure to possibly get a few smiles and possibly a laugh.

It is with the last two stories that issue sucker punches and dampens the mood. While the fourth story has a purpose and even brings back a throwback character, it messes up the first three stories. The final issue, while having a cool wit vs wit segment, it leaves you scratching your head wondering if Batman is a jerk just to be one.

While the last two stories bring down the issue a bit, the first three stories are really entertaining and show that not everything in Batman has to be dark to be enjoyable. While the 4.99 might turn people off, and while every story except for the fourth is relevant to the future of the series, the first three stories are worth the price if you want to experience, though briefly, a lighter Batman story

4 out of 5 Stars

Elpizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any and all type of criticisms or suggestions are appreciated

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By entropy_aegis

Waste of... pretty much everthing. Kings story was very good, I'll give him that but that one is available for free as a preview. Snyder just recycled the exact same story he wrote back in Batman # 51, Dini was stroking his own ego with Harley Quinn, Orlando wrote a passable story that sets up a goofy looking villain and the last one I cant even bother to remember even though I finished it several minutes ago lol, something to do with Scarecrow looking like a chump. Poor form, this is what happens when hot talent gathers to write a mediocre book because at the end of the day most of these guys have no incentive to produce something good.

Elpizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Elpizo

@entropy_aegis: Scrooge much, lol. But I need to reread 51 now :). I do completely agree with your thoughts on the last two parts of the story. I think they ruined the whole jolly holiday feel of that this issue was going for, but the first two did put a small smile on my face and got a few laughs.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elpizo: It was just pointless, Snyder and Dini in particular didn't even try to hide it. A recycled theme and a Harley story because Dini has forgotten how to write a Batman story without his pet

Elpizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I wouldn't say Snyder wrote the exact same thing, but he did give the whole Gotham is not completely corrupt and there are moments of peace atmosphere. I do not think this annual was supposed to add anything, except for the fourth story, to the overall Batman run. I think it was supposed to be stories just for the holiday season and a break from the dark elements that usually associated with Batman.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elpizo said:

@entropy_aegis: I wouldn't say Snyder wrote the exact same thing, but he did give the whole Gotham is not completely corrupt and there are moments of peace atmosphere. I do not think this annual was supposed to add anything, except for the fourth story, to the overall Batman run. I think it was supposed to be stories just for the holiday season and a break from the dark elements that usually associated with Batman.

I get that but King is the only one who got that right as far as I'm concerned.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The only story that was worth it was the King one. As short as it was and it may have had a small amount of dialogue but it was the best of the bunch.

To be honest, I am kind of biased on this because I have always been a major Ace fan.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the stories, but found the 5th one strange. It was a nice change of pace from the current storyline.