New to comics, kinda. Need help.

ODSTxGundam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So it's been about 3 years since New 52 was launched. However I don't really follow comic books (because they always change the story, I've stuck to manga) and have only just learned about it, so I am really looking forward to buying some.

The problem is its a bit confusing, I have many questions and I hope I can recieve the answers so that I am able to start my DC collection.

1. Comic tie ins, do I need to get them all? Example, death of a family, if I was buying just Batman would the story make sense with the tie ins just showing what other people were doing during the same time, or does it continue the story between the different comics (like if I was to buy a 10 chapter book missing chapter 3, 7 and 10 and I have to buy another book for those chapters)

2. Comic tie ins, do they continue the story? All the tie ins are issued around the same time, do they pause their current story to tell the tie in story and then return or is the tie in story flow with the rest of their stories?

3. Not reboots? I read that both Green Lantern and Batman aren't reboots but continuing from where they left off, Green Lantern #1 Hal is no longer a lantern and sinestro is, batgirl is suffering trauma from the killing joke events, this would make no sense since I don't know the events prior, what issues do I need from pre 52 to continue where they start and do any other series "continue" from pre 52?

4. Cancelled issues. Are cancelled issue events rounded up to end it, or are they just sudden stops with no resolution to whatever current event was going on?

5. Is there a list of what has been completed and what has been cancelled, so far I can only see what has ended and do not know whether it was cancelled or whether it finished.

6. What are annuals?

7. Is there a timeline for all the events that happen in each series

8. New 52 made Beast Boy red but then turned him green again, do they just ignore this?

9. Cyborg founding Justice League member, what happens to his role in Teen Titans if he starts in the big league?

10. Does the Teen Titans 2014 continue from the 2011-2014

I thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

The series' I plan to get are:
Justice League related
Teen Titans related
Superman related
Green Lantern related
and a lot Batman related
maybe flash, aquaman, wonder woman and green arrow

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It differs for each story. For example in death of the family none of the tie ins are necessary. But in some other stories like the superdoom event the tie ins are necessary.

Every tie in is different but its usually happening at the same time as the actual story.

What they mean for batman and green lantern is that not all of their history was erased like it was for every other character. For batman, the batman inc series carries over from pre 52 which connects from grant Morrison's pre new 52 batman. Killing joke, Knightfall, and death in the family are also still canon in new 52. You'll have to ask a Green lantern fan for help with that but if you ever need help with anything Batman at all feel free to ask me, that's kind of my thing.

Cancelled series usually try to tie things up in their last issue, but sometimes the cancelation is sudden and they can't tie everything up nicely, or its rushed. It all depends.

Not sure if there's a list saying what was canceled or not, but if it wasn't a limited series it was probably canceled.

Annuals are stories that are released once a year that are in canon and may or may not have something to do with the current storyline going on in the comic its released for.

Not all series have a timeline

Not sure about beast boy but I know someone else can answer that.

Cyborg was never in the new 52 teen titans series.

The new teen titans series is in canon with the original one, but is a different story

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. No. Most tie-ins are just that, tie ins. Most of the time you don't need to read them to get the whole story

2. Not fully understanding what you're saying.

3. Yes and no. They are more like soft reboots.

Somethings have indeed changed, but majority of Pre-52 history remained

4. Both. It really depends on the situation.

5. I really don't know

6. Every year a comic releases a special annual issue.

7. Really don't know.

8 No, he eventually becomes green again.

9. He has no history with them IIRC.

10. I believe so.

Glad i could help!

Beata!

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kilowog52

1&2. There is a difference between tie-ins to an arc in another title, and parts of a crossover. With things like Death of the Family, you certainly don't need to read the tie-ins. Things like Superman Doomed and many Green Lantern events are crossovers, where all the parts of the crossover matter. Venditti and Jensen have been doing a good job of making the separate Lantern books are readable without the others though. As for both tie ins and crossovers, sometimes they will abruptly stop the direction they were headed. A lot of the time in the GL family for example, all the titles have been working toward the crossover. Most of the time, a number of issues will focus primarily on whatever event is occurring, but there will still be chunks of pages in each issue that continue that series' regular narrative.

3. The thing about Green Lantern is that the reboot happened right in the middle of Geoff Johns' run, so for a while it just sorta continued. Batman at first had no obvious retcons. But both families are now more obviously New 52ed what with the Venditti GL run and Batman Eternal.

5. It is difficult for us the fans, to tell which series got axed due to low sales, and which they felt reached their natural conclusion in some cases.

PotatoLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@odstxgundam:

1. You don't need tie-ins, they just add to the story by telling it from another characters perspective.

2. The tie-ins all end with the main story.

3. Some characters were rebooted completely while others kept their ongoing lore but the New 52 storylines take place further forward in their lives, enough that the events of the previous stories have only set the stage and dont play any significant role.

4. It varies. Some series were canceled because they were just really bad, but most of them reached a conclusion.

5. You can find the list on wikipedia.

6. IDK

7. Aside from titles that explicitly state that they are in a different time (Like Justice League: Origin) all of the main series take place independently while the side-series take place alongside the events of the main series. For example, Batman and Superman take place independently, while Nightwing, Batgirl, etc. tie in heavily with Batman and Supergirl and other Superman related series tie in heavily with the main series.

8. IDK

9. The Teen Titans have a completely new roster, to my knowledge.

10. IDK