Donnie Yen vs Jet Li

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DarthAznable

Donnie Yen's Ip Man vs. Jet Li as Huo Yuanjia from Fearless.

Round 1: Both are in character.

Round 2: Both Bloodlusted, Jet Li gets his Chinese sword, Donnie gets his staff and feathduster is laying on the ground.

Takes place in generic dojo

Andhaira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Google both characters, as both were real life persons.

Then you will have your answer. (Yuanjia, possibly the best unarmed martial artist in the past 1000 years)

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yuanjia.

Round 2 is a stomp.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Was Fearless good? Thinking about watching it.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Jet li

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9
deactivated-5c8c48323d2d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well it's arguable who is stronger/faster etc so lets just look at their styles.

Ip Man's Wing Chun uses the opponents brutality and strength to his own advantage, It's great against characters who uses offensive styles and brutality hence why he bet the Northern Boxer style, the Japanese General using Taekwando - a style most suited for offensive fighting and the American Heavy Weight Boxer. However he did stalemate a fight with a master in the second Ipman movie. IIRC the master wasn't wasteful with his movements, he didn't fight with just pure strength but with tactic and finese. Because of that Wing Chun didn't have its incredible counter-attack advantage.

That's why I'm leaning towards Jet Li. Huo's style was adaptable, it wasn't just offensive but it was defensive and creative. Ip Man won't have his style's biggest advantage - it's impregnable counter-attack.

Both Round Goes to Huo.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andhaira: Well this is between people who portrayed them in movies.

@wolverine08 It's literally one of the best martial arts movies. It still holds up for being over 6 years old. One of Jet's best movies most def.

@soaringturkeys Well both have fought similar opponents and both know or seem to know how to utilize pressure points. It would be long fights more rounds but imo it can go either way. Huo is definitely more mobile in his technique but Ip has the balance, precision, and comparable physicals to stand his ground. In Ip's fight I posted in the OP, that guy is fairly similar to Huo but not as skilled. I haven't watch Ip-Man 2 in forever since I thought it was kinda bad so I can't remember most of it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soaringturkeys Well both have fought similar opponents and both know or seem to know how to utilize pressure points. It would be long fights more rounds but imo it can go either way. Huo is definitely more mobile in his technique but Ip has the balance, precision, and comparable physicals to stand his ground. In Ip's fight I posted in the OP, that guy is fairly similar to Huo but not as skilled. I haven't watch Ip-Man 2 in forever since I thought it was kinda bad so I can't remember most of it.

Na they are quite different styles. That guy that Ipman fights is a northern provence boxing style. It's very offensive and brutal hence why it was so ineffective against a style that utlizes someones strength.

Huo uses an ancient form of Wushu and Mizongyi - a style using deception and mobility.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soaringturkeys: Eh well I know that but throughout the whole movie Huo seemed to be on the offensive. No deception was used.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable said:

@soaringturkeys: Eh well I know that but throughout the whole movie Huo seemed to be on the offensive. No deception was used.

I don't think you do. It's not a matter of just being on an offensive. The style is completely different. The difference is subtle but if you study any form of martial arts then you'll realize that the style between the northern boxer is completely different from Jet Li's character.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Li

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was Fearless good? Thinking about watching it.

Fearless is freaking great. The full director's cut is nearly 3 hours long but it's totally worth it.

JoseLoayza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Donnie

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable said:

I don't think you do. It's not a matter of just being on an offensive. The style is completely different. The difference is subtle but if you study any form of martial arts then you'll realize that the style between the northern boxer is completely different from Jet Li's character.

You just proved my point, the difference is incredibly subtle. Both use a form of kung fu. It doesn't matter if he's up against wushu, or nothern style boxing or anything. Donnie will be able to adapt since Li's character is a very aggressive fighter and he's used to that. And I'd say Donnie has a speed advantage due to keeping his techniques tight and efficient. But this discussion isn't about whether who knows what about kung fu or any other combat art. If you have nothing else to add to the fight, don't reply. And I've taken martial arts since I was 5 bub.

JhonMu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both the characters are the real life persons and in my opinion, Donnie Yen is far better than Jet Li.

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Donnie in a good fight.

Krishnyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers