Scott Snyder Anit-climatic ending?

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By fil123

it seems that when people want to complain about scott snyders batman they use the excuse his arcs have anti-climatic endings?

Court of owls ending was amazing with Batman in the maze and beating the talon

city of owls ending was great not as good as court of owls but the reveal and fight was good (seemed a lot like a bendis book with all the talking)

Death in the family yes was anit climatic, still pretty decent arc

Zero year part 1 ending was great with the Ace chemical part and the reveal that they found the original leader of the red hood dead and don't know how long the impostor was standing in (so killing joke theory can still be intact)

im thinking the haters need to find a new excuse

Grants still the best!!

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I've been loving Snyder's run since issue one, I even enjoyed the ending of Death of the Family. Zero Year has been one of the best Batman stories I've read, quickly becoming my favorite Batman origins, and I have faith that the ending will satisfy.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By SupBatz

Snyder has tended to lose momentum as a story progresses, in my opinion, but I wouldn't call the endings of his arcs anti-climactic.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By iaconpoint

I thought DotF tried too hard to let us know Joker has a homoerotic fascination with Batman, but no one promised a death to anyone other than the family. I think that's why people think it's anti-climactic. If you read the story with no EFFING spoilers or pre-commentary then i think it would have been received better. Snyder's stories are very cerebral which is why they are so wordy but thanks to marvelnow! and things DC does people want big events not good stories.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought DotF tried too hard to let us know Joker has a homoerotic fascination with Batman, but no one promised a death to anyone other than the family. I think that's why people think it's anti-climactic. If you read the story with no EFFING spoilers or pre-commentary then i think it would have been received better. Snyder's stories are very cerebral which is why they are so wordy but thanks to marvelnow! and things DC does people want big events not good stories.

Yeah, I feel that people hyped DotF up to the point that Snyder was never going to be able to meet all of their expectations. But people who claim that Snyder copped out with no one actually dying were just disappointed because they had created THEIR OWN idea of how the story would end, and when it didn't end the way they wanted they were left feeling disappointed.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supbatz said:

Snyder has tended to lose momentum as a story progresses, in my opinion, but I wouldn't call the endings of his arcs anti-climactic.

This. He drags the stories to far and his endings are not anti-climatic but disappointing.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@iaconpoint said:

Yeah, I feel that people hyped DotF up to the point that Snyder was never going to be able to meet all of their expectations. But people who claim that Snyder copped out with no one actually dying were just disappointed because they had created THEIR OWN idea of how the story would end, and when it didn't end the way they wanted they were left feeling disappointed.

I dont think you can blame the people,Snyder and DC hyped that story as the "bestest,most epicest" Joker tale ever,there was a lot of unnecessary bull crap(Alfred,trays,Bat family not trusting Bruce). All that drama was completely unfounded,baseless and frankly idiotic.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_killer said:
@iaconpoint said:

I dont think you can blame the people,Snyder and DC hyped that story as the "bestest,most epicest" Joker tale ever,there was a lot of unnecessary bull crap(Alfred,trays,Bat family not trusting Bruce). All that drama was completely unfounded,baseless and frankly idiotic.

Well that Snyder is the writer of the book and it's published by DC, it's not common that they would "hype it up." But it was the fans who started coming up with, "Oh, Alfred's going to be blind!" or "Damian/Nightwing/Jason Todd/James Gordon's going to die!" The fans hyped it up and ultimately convinced themselves that what they thought was going to happen would, so when it didn't they were left disappointed. It happens with many stories, not just in comics. People see something that's great, hype builds around it, but ultimately it doesn't completely live up to it.

Now I personally liked DotF and I know many other fans did as well, I liked what Snyder did with Batman and the Bat-Family. I liked the whole mystery revolving around whether The Joker knows who Batman really is. It's a great question and it's interesting to see how writers play around with it.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By entropy_aegis

@entropy_aegis said:

@war_killer said:
@iaconpoint said:

Well that Snyder is the writer of the book and it's published by DC, it's not common that they would "hype it up." But it was the fans who started coming up with, "Oh, Alfred's going to be blind!" or "Damian/Nightwing/Jason Todd/James Gordon's going to die!" The fans hyped it up and ultimately convinced themselves that what they thought was going to happen would, so when it didn't they were left disappointed. It happens with many stories, not just in comics. People see something that's great, hype builds around it, but ultimately it doesn't completely live up to it.

Now I personally liked DotF and I know many other fans did as well, I liked what Snyder did with Batman and the Bat-Family. I liked the whole mystery revolving around whether The Joker knows who Batman really is. It's a great question and it's interesting to see how writers play around with it.

There is a difference though,I dont know about you but I read every single Snyder interview and the dude couldn't stop gushing about that story. Hyping the story is one thing but DOTF took it to a level that was almost unprecedented in recent years,even Batman RIP wasn't that hyped.

Similarly fans didn't come up with the "Alfred is blind" angle out of thin air,it was right there in the story,finally every Batfan knows the answer to the so called mystery of whether Joker knows Batman's identity or not,Snyder just wasted months telling us something we've already known,it's cool if you like DOTF but fan reaction to it IMO was justified.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@entropy_aegis: To be fair, Snyder talks to anyone (he's answered many of my questions on twitter) and he gushes about everything also. It's just his personality. Granted, he seemed overly excited about DotF, but he's still very enthusiastic about almost everything he's involved with.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His stories aren't that great and the endings are on the same level. (my opinion)

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

His stories aren't that great and the endings are on the same level. (my opinion)

@rustyroy said:
@supbatz said:

This. He drags the stories to far and his endings are not anti-climatic but disappointing.

Yes exactly. How can people concider him the best writter and concider his stories like the best they've ever read ? How can you love his current run ?