Posted by The Lobster (1481 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm usually not one to post artwork unless it's a holiday or something, but I needed others thoughts on this. I think it's really good, but I know that no matter what I can always do better. So that's where you guys come in, I'd like some constructive criticism. Here's my Arkham City version of Harley Quinn.....

This image just kinda came to me, I wondered what happened between the end of Arkham City and the beginning of Harley Quinn's Revenge. I imagine that Gotham wouldn't really have a funeral for the man who's killed hundreds of people. They'd probably just drop his body in the ground and leave. The only one who'd actually attend the Joker's funeral would have been Harley. I'd also imagine that Batman would kinda feel sorry for Harley, she may be crazy but even crazy people can fall in love. 

Just so you know my favorite artists are Shawn Crystal, Skottie Young, Jeorme Opena, and Sheldon Vella. Just so you know who's been an inspiration in my artwork and what I aspire to in terms of style. 
 
Alrighty then, let the constructive criticism begin. If you like it, feel free to look at my other stuff and tell me what you think of them at my deviantART page.
#1 Posted by ogarza (124 posts) - - Show Bio

really cool

#2 Posted by The Lobster (1481 posts) - - Show Bio
@ogarza: Thank you. Any Constructive Criticism you can offer?
#3 Posted by ogarza (124 posts) - - Show Bio

before i do that is batman looking at harley or is he facing backwards?

#4 Posted by The Lobster (1481 posts) - - Show Bio
@ogarza: Could go either way, I'd like to think he'd be looking at her. After all, he didn't save her boyfriend.
#5 Posted by ogarza (124 posts) - - Show Bio

i really like it and my only criticism is you should've gone with blonde harley. since its based on what happened after arkham city

#6 Posted by The Lobster (1481 posts) - - Show Bio
@ogarza: alrighty then, thanks.
#7 Posted by Joygirl (18168 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty good! As far as some constructive criticism... hm. She looks a bit squat, I'll say... short for how thick she is, and her head is a bit too big to be realistic. Unless she's a chibi, I'd say you could use to stretch her out a little, particularly her legs which look almost comically small.

#8 Posted by Watchmen95 (100 posts) - - Show Bio

Well done! The only thing I can say are the legs could be bigger. Other than that, I like it! :D

#9 Posted by WillPayton (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty good really. I like the separation of foreground and background elements.

A couple of ideas... you might want to cut off the part of the tree that's sticking out of the rectangle. That way you can have a clear separation between foreground (stuff that can come out of the rectangle) and background. Also, you might want to try to make all those things in the background like the tree and Batman be silhouettes, just solid black. OR, keep them colored, but add much harsher black shadows on the left side... think Frank Miller. If you dont want to try that out on your original work, make some photocopies and try stuff out on those. The problem with the background stuff now is that it looks too flat, especially since you have some nice shadowing going on on Harley and the foreground stuff.

Anyway, just some ideas. Hope that helps.

#10 Posted by The Lobster (1481 posts) - - Show Bio
@Joygirl said:
Pretty good! As far as some constructive criticism... hm. She looks a bit squat, I'll say... short for how thick she is, and her head is a bit too big to be realistic. Unless she's a chibi, I'd say you could use to stretch her out a little, particularly her legs which look almost comically small.
Thanks, when it comes to style I want something cartoon like but at the same time not cartoony enough that people don't take it seriously. So I'll look into fixing the disproportions in future pieces 
 
@Watchmen95 said:

Well done! The only thing I can say are the legs could be bigger. Other than that, I like it! :D

. Thanks for the advice, glad you liked it and I'll work on my legs and feet....don't want to be like Rob Liefeld and just ignore them as much as possible. 
 
@WillPayton said:

Pretty good really. I like the separation of foreground and background elements.

A couple of ideas... you might want to cut off the part of the tree that's sticking out of the rectangle. That way you can have a clear separation between foreground (stuff that can come out of the rectangle) and background. Also, you might want to try to make all those things in the background like the tree and Batman be silhouettes, just solid black. OR, keep them colored, but add much harsher black shadows on the left side... think Frank Miller. If you dont want to try that out on your original work, make some photocopies and try stuff out on those. The problem with the background stuff now is that it looks too flat, especially since you have some nice shadowing going on on Harley and the foreground stuff.

Anyway, just some ideas. Hope that helps.

Frank Miller, that could work. Thanks for the shading and coloring tips. Now obviously artist don't always color there own works in comics, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't work on it some more. Thanks.
#11 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

Great now I have that freakin' Smokey Robinson song stuck in my head! :P

#12 Posted by The Lobster (1481 posts) - - Show Bio
@Katie24 said:

Great now I have that freakin' Smokey Robinson song stuck in my head! :P

If this site had a like button, I'd like that comment.
#13 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Lobster : :)

#14 Posted by Decept-O (7274 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Lobster : Nice job, really good.

#15 Posted by The Lobster (1481 posts) - - Show Bio
@Decept-O: thank you
#16 Posted by LipstickZombie (91 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it! It has a cool eerie feel to it that fits with Harley.

#17 Posted by The Lobster (1481 posts) - - Show Bio
@LipstickZombie said:

I like it! It has a cool eerie feel to it that fits with Harley.

Thanks, any kinds of constructive criticism?
#18 Posted by LipstickZombie (91 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Lobster : I don't know, I like it the way it is