Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Should I read Swamp Thing and Animal Man?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kidchipotle

From what I hear, these two titles are amazing reads. But I've never a single issue of either of these two characters prior to the New 52 reboot (save for Swamp Thing in Brightest Day and Animal Man in 52 [the missing year]). Since these books are only 6 issues in, I wouldn't have much to catch up on but I was wondering if it was worth reading these two titles or if I should keep them off my pull list?

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

@ArturoCalaKayVee: Heck yeah, go for it! They're wonderful series and don't need any prior reading (though Brightest Day will make Swamp Thing more enjoyable)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#3  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    No Caption Provided
    chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By chalkshark

@ArturoCalaKayVee: I can't speak to Swamp Thing as I'm not picking it up, but I will vouch for Animal Man. However, that said, I don't know if it's a book for everyone. I enjoy it, in large part, due to it's rather seamlessly picking up where the old Vertigo series left off, over a decade ago. Certainly in terms of tone, if not specifically story. Animal Man, & his supporting cast, has made it through DC's re-launch, surprisingly, intact. It's judgement call, though, on whether or not you'll enjoy reading it. If you're a straight capes & cowls reader, then it might not be the book for you. Despite the costume & super powers, Animal Man is a horror title. If that sounds appealing, then give the series a try. If you're someone who just appreciates good storytelling, regardless of genre, then, yeah, you're missing out.

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@spiderbat87 said:

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 123422

I don't read Swamp Thing, but i recommend reading Animal Man, if you like creepy horror stories, really love the art

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @chalkshark@123422: why are you guys not reading swamp thing?
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @123422 said:

I don't read Swamp Thing, but i recommend reading Animal Man, if you like creepy horror stories, really love the art

Same.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

@spiderbat87 said:

No Caption Provided
    chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chalkshark

@spiderbat87: For me, Swamp Thing begins and ends with the Alan Moore run. I had no interest in the character prior to it, & I've had no interest in the character ever since.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @chalkshark said:

@spiderbat87: For me, Swamp Thing begins and ends with the Alan Moore run. I had no interest in the character prior to it, & I've had no interest in the character ever since.

But it's like the perfect companion book for Animal Man and its arguably better written 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By 123422

@spiderbat87: Well, I want to but I'm running a bit low on cash, maybe I'll pick it up a little later or wait for the trade :)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @TheGoldenOne said:
    @123422 said:

Same.
    How come your not reading Swamp Thing either? 
    chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By chalkshark

@spiderbat87: That may be true, but I've always liked the Animal Man character, ever since his initial appearances in DC's Strange Adventures title. I only liked Swamp Thing under Moore. His writing was fairly transcendent, for a series featuring a character that just held no appeal for me.... and still doesn't.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @spiderbat87: I'm already reading too many titles.
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @TheGoldenOne said:
    @spiderbat87: I'm already reading too many titles.
    Thats a shame because it's probably better than most DC books (including animal man)
    RoboShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By RoboShark

You're straight ridiculous not to treat yourself to some Animal Man. The same could be said for Snyder's Swamp Thing, though I'm a tad less amped about this one.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By jsphsmth

This is a question that needs to stop being asked.

If you are even considering picking them up, then DO NOT hesitate. Buy them. Trades, floppies, digital, whatever, just buy them.

Snyder and Lemire are amazing writers putting in some amazing work.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kidchipotle

@jsphsmth: I don't agree, I think it's better to get opinions from people so you can be confident to purchase the item. What if you wanted to pick up a book, bought the trade or whatever, and didnt like it? Then it could be considered money wasted. That's why I always post topics asking the users if a book or story is worth reading so I don't feel like my money was wasted. IE: I bought JLA: Another Nail and Final Crisis and disliked them both. Money wasted that could have gone to better comics. But that's my opinion.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By jsphsmth

@ArturoCalaKayVee: I don't think that I did a good job communicating my message. I am not saying that people shouldn't ask for opnions before starting reading a new comic series. I have asked for opinions on this site on multiple occassions.

What I meant to communicate was that AM and ST are of such a high quality that if people are interested in them, they should jump on them.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kidchipotle

@jsphsmth: ooooohhhhhh okay! I understand you now, my apologizes. I knew they were of high quality, but they're also not your typical cape and cowl comics, they're more on the "horror side" so I wasn't sure if i would like it or not since its not my usual genre. That's why I asked haha.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.