Follow

Captain America

Character » Captain America appears in 11771 issues.

During World War II, Steve Rogers volunteered to receive the experimental Super-Soldier Serum. Enhanced to the pinnacle of human physical potential and armed with an unbreakable shield, he became Captain America. After a failed mission left him encased in ice for decades, he was found and revived by the Avengers, later joining their ranks and eventually becoming the team's leader.

Captain America Movie's War Scenes to Shoot in UK

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

No Caption Provided

The Coventry Telegraph (by way Comic Book Movie) has got a location scoop - - CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER will be shooting some key period scenes in Manchester and South Wales. Parts of the former will be made out to look like 1940’s New York City, while the latter’s open fields will be used for two weeks worth of war scenes. That second bit raises a question I’ve had about this movie - - how extensively will WW2 battles factor into it? See, the last CAP movie (the direct-to-video one with the rubber ears and the Italian Red Skull) only showed WWII in the first act and, even then, Cap was really more of a spy/saboteur (albeit the most conspicuous spy/saboteur in history.) He was never actually shown fighting in battles.

There’ve been plenty of images of Cap storming beaches, parachuting into enemy territory and even leaping over trenches. The iconography’s intrinsic to the character. However, symbolic images like that can work when drawn, but filming them with real actors and real sets brings up more than a few issues. I remember the first X-MEN movie getting a lot of commentary about opening scenes from the Holocaust and whether that was appropriate for a summer blockbuster. Will audiences be able to suspend their disbelief when watching a gaudily-dressed superhero soldiering his way through the battlefields of a very real war? == TEASER ==

Then again, this could easily just be scenes showing the Howling Commandos in action, or cut-aways for a quick montage of Cap’s field operations, while the rest of the conflict and action would center on his fights against the Red Skull. This is why I’m the most intrigued to see the CAP movie out of all the ones on Marvel’s docket - - it could potentially be doing a lot of things we’ve never seen before in a superhero movie, including extensive war scenes.

What do you Comic Vine maniacs think? Would you want to see this sort of stuff at the forefront of the CAP movie? Or do you want it to relegated to a small portion? How much do you figure is appropriate?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. HYBRID BASTARDS! is available  here and UNIMAGINABLE is available here for pre-order on Amazon.com.  

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Namor1987

Sweet I love the idea of them using the UK to shoot war scenes for Cap because didn't parts of WWII take place there

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2  Edited By Baddamdog

Yay!!

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Magian

I don't have a problem with WW2 just not too much.

Alphaproto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Alphaproto

I was watching Band of Brothers Yesterday and was about how The battle scenes could be like that.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sora_thekey

Ironic...
    Can Captain Britain make an appearance then?

CaptainUseless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By CaptainUseless
    @sora_thekey: 
    I reeeeaaaallllyyyy hope so. :)
    mjanosko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mjanosko
    @sora_thekey said:

" Ironic... Can Captain Britain make an appearance then? "

@sora_thekey:  I don't understand how that is ironic... World War 2 definitely took place on European, Japanese, and African soil. With the exception of Pearl Harbor, there wasn't much going on in America aside from manufacturing and troop-supporting. 
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By joshmightbe
    @Namor1987: yea the nazis bombed the shit out of it
    Garrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Garrett

Not too surprising actually

Roninidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Roninidas

Captain America is synonymous with World War 2.   I especially think that since they are doing Modern Day book ends and making this a “Period” Piece, then to have WW2 as a Backdrop, but never show Captain America fighting in it would be ridiculous.   It will also take away from the character too.   I’m not sure how many of you read Tales of Suspense, but Steve Rogers; after being unfrozen was haunted by his past life.   Not so much the war and violence, but the people he lost, Bucky and Peggy Carter.   I think seeing Captain America giving the pep talks to the boys prior to their boots hitting the sand would be good to show.   I personally want to see Cap storm the Beaches of Normandy.      

SgtRYNO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SgtRYNO
    @sora_thekey: Capt. Britain was never in ww2, although the invaders (Namor, Torch, Toro, Spitfire, and The Union Jack) should make an appearance. Also anyone guess the avengers storyline? I think since they are using Loki in the Thor movie that it will be like ultimate avengers 2 when the whole world tries to take them out because of the superhuman defence initiative.
    Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Captain13
    @Alphaproto said:
    " I was watching Band of Brothers Yesterday and was about how The battle scenes could be like that. "
    Yes. He better be storming beaches and rallying the troops. I mean that's his JOB.
    Moomin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Moomin123
    @Namor1987 said:
    "Sweet I love the idea of them using the UK to shoot war scenes for Cap because didn't parts of WWII take place there "

Only the Battle of Britain took place in England, and that was a dogfight. 

Oh, I don't think there's a British Comicviner who's not pleased at this. 

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @mjanosko said:
    " @sora_thekey:  I don't understand how that is ironic... World War 2 definitely took place on European, Japanese, and African soil. With the exception of Pearl Harbor, there wasn't much going on in America aside from manufacturing and troop-supporting.  "
    Except the Japanese actually invaded Alaska.
    gambit987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By gambit987

they should do a big war scene and a scene where captain america must sneak into a nazi-camp. Offcourse he must fight Red skull as wel

mjanosko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mjanosko
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    " @mjanosko said:
    " @sora_thekey:  I don't understand how that is ironic... World War 2 definitely took place on European, Japanese, and African soil. With the exception of Pearl Harbor, there wasn't much going on in America aside from manufacturing and troop-supporting.  "
    Except the Japanese actually invaded Alaska. "
    Fair enough, although it wasn't a state until 1959, we did own it and treated it as a territory during WW2 while the Japanese occupied it.
    Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Video_Martian

out of all the movies that marvel is planning, this is the one that I'm most excited about.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#18  Edited By xerox_kitty

South Wales is used to for just about every issue of Doctor Who... why not Captain America too? :)

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DH69

lol i was actually expecting it to be shot in canada for the most part

schmidty207

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By schmidty207

I think most (if not all) of the film should take place during WWII, because it is necessary for character development prior to the Avengers movie. 

As to being filmed in England, I thought American soldiers were in England prior to Pearl Harbor, just in an unofficial capacity. I could be wrong though...

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#21  Edited By The Impersonator
    @sora_thekey:
    no, I don't think so.
    TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By TheMess1428

Is Hitler going to be in this movie? I wanna see Cap uppercut him with the shield. lol

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Take the opening scene of D-Day from Saving Private Ryan and throw Captain America into it... there.. now you have an EPIC movie.

Avatar image for captaingenisvell
    CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By CaptainGenisVell

I'd like to know where exactly in Manchester and South Wales, as I'd like to see if I can get a sneak peek at the filming :)

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By Gambit1024

I think a lot of people are forgetting that this is a FICTIONAL comic book film. If a red, white, and blue Super Soldier is out on the battlefield fighting Nazi's, then just go with it. Let the imagination of the comic book leap onto the big  screen in full throttle.  

For example, I hate how they didn't show Galactus in the FF movie because a "giant purple space being" is too unreal. Really? Cause I thought it was already based on a FICTIONAL comicbook filled with superpowers and a big orange rock monster?
    Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Meteorite

They should do at least one scene with Cap fighting against the enemy troops.

(Although I say they should do at least one, that's probably all that they will end up doing).

Dark Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Dark Cell

......im not quite sure what the point of this article is 

of cores we want to see cap fighting in the war

ComicCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By ComicCrazy

Sounds great. I am really happy with the direction this movie is going.
    Scholes60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Scholes60

I was a little surprised that some or even a lot of the Captain America movie will be filmed in the UK though I understand the economics of this. 

Still as an Australian science fiction writer (who also writes a lot of Marvel fan fic) I once wrote a fan fic "Spitfires over Stalingrad" which had Captain America and Captain Britain helping the Russians out.

You should be able to find it somewhere in this lot:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1276881/David_Scholes 

Or check out some of my sci-fi: 

www.StrategicBookPublishing.com/ScienceFictionandAlternateHistory.html

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Reading-Science-Fiction-Scholes/dp/1449581889/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1261366245&sr=1-1

http://www.sffworld.com/community/story/3932p0.html

www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI_xoUYXwaw

I have just completed a new novella “Soldier of the Brell” which I will make available as an e-book download from the Xlibris site. I will also make it available on the IPAD, Amazon’s Kindle, the Sony Reader and other E-readers.  

Cheers   

G Bird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By G Bird

Cool, the more news I hear about this the better it sounds! It would be so awesome if they made a mention of Wolverine, seeing as Cap fought along side him in WWII... a cameo would be even better though!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.