Comic Vine News

44 Comments

More G.I. Joe Rubbery Goodness

Another image surfaces showing the team.

Just in case you didn't get enough when you saw the actual trailer for "G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra" during the Super Bowl (actually I think it aired during the pre-game), a new image has found it's way to my inbox.  We now get a look at the Joes getting ready celebrate Miller Time at the local pub.  I just feel bad for the dude on the far left.  His eyes were closed when the picture was taken.


Check out the trailer HERE if you missed it.
44 Comments
Posted by inferiorego

I think the movie looks awful.

Staff
Posted by King Saturn
Ha Ha Ha  !  I am still blowed they would get Marlon Wayans to play Ripcord

lmao
Posted by speedlgt
King Saturn said:
"Ha Ha Ha  !  I am still blowed they would get Marlon Wayans to play Ripcord

lmao
"

Yeah thats just stupid I mean first why have RIPCORD in it all......And I thought Wayans would have been good to play Alpine since he made lots of wise cracks in the toon, it just Seemed that would be cool.

And why the Hell is HAWK wearing FLINTS hat?
And holy crap does every movie have to have heros were the same black clothes all the time? I mean WTF the Joes could wear green I mean they are military! only snakes eyes should have been black special ops look.
Posted by G-Man
Staff Online
Posted by danhimself
Posted by King Saturn
G-Man said:
"But did you check out the Baroness without the chicken fillets?



"
Hey Not Bad  !
Posted by inferiorego
danhimself said:
"

just for once i would like a movie to come out where people don't continually complain that it isn't exactly like the cartoon or comic....why can't you just try to enjoy a movie instead of nitpicking every minor detail....who cares if they're all vvearing black (it looks cool) or who's wearing who's hat

"
Not complaining about whether or not it's like the cartoon or comic, it just looks like sh!t overall.
Staff
Posted by speedlgt
danhimself said:
"

just for once i would like a movie to come out where people don't continually complain that it isn't exactly like the cartoon or comic....why can't you just try to enjoy a movie instead of nitpicking every minor detail....who cares if they're all vvearing black (it looks cool) or who's wearing who's hat

"

Well sir I think you have totally missed the pint pal...People complain when something gets changed about a book or character that we like or feel strongly towards. And we have every right to complain because WE are the ones who will or will NOT pay to see the film. Getting things correct and paying proper respect to the books is NOT HARD TO DO!!! its rather lazyness or a revision (that should not occur) on the part of the makers of the film
Posted by danhimself

so you want them to be shooting lazer guns too then?

Posted by speedlgt
danhimself said:
"so you want them to be shooting lazer guns too then?"

I am just saying there a few very simple things they could do
1st they all dont wear black only snake eyes
2nd Dukes hair is blond and no gotee
3rd the reason the joes wear all different clothes is explained several times in the books so why not tell that story as well its easy and takes less than 1 min
4th Hawk should not wear flints hat
5th Hows ripcord even there he doesnt even matter.....wheres stalker? gung Ho? or a long list of other joes that would be better served in this film

I bet 10 bucks Cobra will wear black too and not blue SILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by G-Man

I don't think Gung Ho would've worked without looking like he should be in the village people

Staff Online
Posted by danhimself


you really think this would work in a live action movie and not be cheesey
Posted by G-Man

The only thing that is reassuring me is I'm pretty sure Larry Hama was a consultant on the movie.  Let's hope they listened to him.

Staff Online
Posted by inferiorego
G-Man said:
"I don't think Gung Ho would've worked without looking like he should be in the village people

"
BOOSH!
Staff
Posted by speedlgt
danhimself said:
"

you really think this would work in a live action movie and not be cheesey"

Yeah well how did spiderman RED AND BLUE work in a live action movie???????????????????????????????????
how did a red and gold iron suit work in fighting in the middle east???????????????????????????????
How does a Huge GREEN monster saying SMASH work in a live action??????????????????????????
come on man there are ways to make it real and still say true to the Book or Toon
Posted by inferiorego
speedlgt said:
"danhimself said:
"

you really think this would work in a live action movie and not be cheesey"

Yeah well how did spiderman RED AND BLUE work in a live action movie???????????????????????????????????
how did a red and gold iron suit work in fighting in the middle east???????????????????????????????
How does a Huge GREEN monster saying SMASH work in a live action??????????????????????????
come on man there are ways to make it real and still say true to the Book or Toon"
Dan makes a good point, some things do not translate well to film.
Staff
Posted by G-Man

I'm waiting to see Hugh Jackman wearing yellow and blue spandex.  All that yellow is pretty badass.

Staff Online
Posted by speedlgt
inferiorego said:
"speedlgt said:
"danhimself said:
"

you really think this would work in a live action movie and not be cheesey"

Yeah well how did spiderman RED AND BLUE work in a live action movie???????????????????????????????????
how did a red and gold iron suit work in fighting in the middle east???????????????????????????????
How does a Huge GREEN monster saying SMASH work in a live action??????????????????????????
come on man there are ways to make it real and still say true to the Book or Toon"
Dan makes a good point, some things do not translate well to film."

Its not a good nor valid point at all Anything can be done even that image of Cobra Commander or wolverine in the yellow could work if given proper care. I would rather see that than the lazyness that all comic characters wear black cause its more "realistic"
Edited by G-Man

Cobra should look like this but I think I heard he won't have the mask.  Not sure what he'll look like.  I also heard a crazy scary rumor that I'd rather not repeat.

Staff Online
Posted by King Saturn
G-Man said:
"Cobra should look like this but I think I heard he won't have the mask.  Not sure what he'll look like.  I also heard a crazy scary rumor that I'd rather not repeat.

"
The guy they got playing Cobra Commander looks like a Punk though... wasnt that the kid from 3rd Rock From The Sun ?
Posted by danhimself
speedlgt said:
"inferiorego said:
"speedlgt said:
"danhimself said:
"

you really think this would work in a live action movie and not be cheesey"

Yeah well how did spiderman RED AND BLUE work in a live action movie???????????????????????????????????
how did a red and gold iron suit work in fighting in the middle east???????????????????????????????
How does a Huge GREEN monster saying SMASH work in a live action??????????????????????????
come on man there are ways to make it real and still say true to the Book or Toon"
Dan makes a good point, some things do not translate well to film."

Its not a good nor valid point at all Anything can be done even that image of Cobra Commander or wolverine in the yellow could work if given proper care. I would rather see that than the lazyness that all comic characters wear black cause its more "realistic""
so then a live action spongebob movie would work?
Posted by Hawk
King Saturn said:
"G-Man said:
"Cobra should look like this but I think I heard he won't have the mask.  Not sure what he'll look like.  I also heard a crazy scary rumor that I'd rather not repeat.

"
The guy they got playing Cobra Commander looks like a Punk though... wasnt that the kid from 3rd Rock From The Sun ?"
yeah. He has been good in a couple of things......Stop Loss.
Posted by inferiorego
danhimself said:
"speedlgt said:
"inferiorego said:
"speedlgt said:
"danhimself said:
"

you really think this would work in a live action movie and not be cheesey"

Yeah well how did spiderman RED AND BLUE work in a live action movie???????????????????????????????????
how did a red and gold iron suit work in fighting in the middle east???????????????????????????????
How does a Huge GREEN monster saying SMASH work in a live action??????????????????????????
come on man there are ways to make it real and still say true to the Book or Toon"
Dan makes a good point, some things do not translate well to film."

Its not a good nor valid point at all Anything can be done even that image of Cobra Commander or wolverine in the yellow could work if given proper care. I would rather see that than the lazyness that all comic characters wear black cause its more "realistic""
so then a live action spongebob movie would work?"
I could make that work.... vin Disel is SPONGEBOB
Staff
Posted by Lunacyde
danhimself said:
"so you want them to be shooting lazer guns too then?"


They dont shoot lasers in the comics...just the cartoons because they were on saturday mornings.


I can see it form both sides. I am a huge G.I. joe fan and would have been a lot happier if some things would have been a little different, especially the ones already metioned in this thread. However I am happy that Larry hama consulted in the film and I still have hopes thta it will be a decent movie. I can seperate the film from the comics in my mind if there are a few problems translating it to the big screen....all I pray is that it is a good film.

Posted by Dark Walker

Larry Hama's contribution to the movie was slim.  He fought for one thing in this movie to be changed because he knew it would royally piss off fans, that was it.

Fans have a right to bitch and complain about things they don't like in a movie, these black suits are NOT G.I.Joe they are completely rediculous.  We are the ones who, like its already been said, go see this movie, we are the ones who will go and see if over and over again if done right.  Hollywood and treat a comic book property with respect, just look at Iron Man. 

This is more of a Sigma 6 movie then a G.I.Joe ARAH movie like it was supposed to be.

I'm all one for updating things to fit them into today's times but this is so far from what it should be. 

Posted by Slinger
danhimself said:
"so you want them to be shooting lazer guns too then?"
YES!!!!!!!

And missing every time too! I've said it before, I would rather see campy GI Joe uniforms than they go for the "realistic" look. I think they took the wrong path on this movie, it could've been fun, now it looks tragic.
Posted by Shatterstar

As it is now the only unique looking Joe is Snake Eyes. They should've retained some amount of uniqueness to each character's uniforms, its not a SEAL team, the black leather look is just boring by now. As noted above Batman, Spider-Man, Hulk, Iron Man, hell even Scooby Doo showed you can have characters in costumes that would look pretty silly if you saw them walking around the floor of comicon but given the right treatment look damn good. I say go all out in comic movies, you hold back and you wind up with metrosexual Dr. Doom and Blackheart or in this case, Cobra Commander.

X-Men did this same thing, I hated it then, pretty sure I won't like Joe going down the same path. 
Moderator
Posted by Nighthunter
speedlgt said:
"danhimself said:
"so you want them to be shooting lazer guns too then?"

I am just saying there a few very simple things they could do
1st they all dont wear black only snake eyes
2nd Dukes hair is blond and no gotee
3rd the reason the joes wear all different clothes is explained several times in the books so why not tell that story as well its easy and takes less than 1 min
4th Hawk should not wear flints hat
5th Hows ripcord even there he doesnt even matter.....wheres stalker? gung Ho? or a long list of other joes that would be better served in this film

I bet 10 bucks Cobra will wear black too and not blue SILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
some things can't be well translated to the big screen, they ain't doing this only for the ones that have watched the show/read the comic

it's for the entire audience
Posted by Vegas

They all look very boring. I can understand the need for realism & all but for gods sake put them in camo please!!

Posted by Shatterstar
Dark Walker said:
"Larry Hama's contribution to the movie was slim.  He fought for one thing in this movie to be changed because he knew it would royally piss off fans, that was it.

Fans have a right to bitch and complain about things they don't like in a movie, these black suits are NOT G.I.Joe they are completely rediculous.  We are the ones who, like its already been said, go see this movie, we are the ones who will go and see if over and over again if done right.  Hollywood and treat a comic book property with respect, just look at Iron Man. 

This is more of a Sigma 6 movie then a G.I.Joe ARAH movie like it was supposed to be.

I'm all one for updating things to fit them into today's times but this is so far from what it should be. "
And along those lines the fans are the ones that made it popular enough to make it into a movie in the first place. Changing things for a broader audience? How much broader do you want than 80 million kids born between 1980 and 1990 that grew up watching those shows and collecting all the merch? 

Moderator
Posted by G-Man
Vegas said:
"They all look very boring. I can understand the need for realism & all but for gods sake put them in camo please!!"
Here's an early scene that I think got cut out.  The whole team is in this picture but they are dressed in camo.  You can see a few if you look hard enough.

Staff Online
Posted by Lunacyde

As far as the costumes go I don't know why they couldnt stay close to the way they are in the Devils Due comics...they wouldnt look silly if they pu t a lot of care into it.

As far as the roster it should have been Stalker, Snake Eyes, Scarlett, Flint.....maybe Gung Ho, Lady Jaye, Heavy Duty, or Shipwreck. Well yea and Hawk.

Gung Ho might have needed a little tiny change, but Duke, Scarlett, Snake Eyes, Flint, Hawk, and Heavy Duty could have all been done well and look the way they should.You can keep the look of the clothing the same as long as it looks realistic like it has a purpose. Example Christian Bales Batman as opposed to George Clooney Batman.

Posted by Lunacyde
Nighthunter said:
"speedlgt said:
"danhimself said:
"so you want them to be shooting lazer guns too then?"

I am just saying there a few very simple things they could do
1st they all dont wear black only snake eyes
2nd Dukes hair is blond and no gotee
3rd the reason the joes wear all different clothes is explained several times in the books so why not tell that story as well its easy and takes less than 1 min
4th Hawk should not wear flints hat
5th Hows ripcord even there he doesnt even matter.....wheres stalker? gung Ho? or a long list of other joes that would be better served in this film

I bet 10 bucks Cobra will wear black too and not blue SILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
some things can't be well translated to the big screen, they ain't doing this only for the ones that have watched the show/read the comic

it's for the entire audience"

Thats ridiculous....if they took time and effort they could make G.I. Joe realistic and still keep its roots...there was no need to put them all in black....at least have them all in Army green or cao army style uniforms not futuristic spy mumbo jumbo generic black outfits.
Posted by Vegas
G-Man said:
"Vegas said:
"They all look very boring. I can understand the need for realism & all but for gods sake put them in camo please!!"
Here's an early scene that I think got cut out.  The whole team is in this picture but they are dressed in camo.  You can see a few if you look hard enough.

"
OMG I totally see Snake Eyes!!  ;-p
Posted by Static Shock
danhimself said:
"

you really think this would work in a live action movie and not be cheesey"
I heard that they are re-imagining the mask.
Posted by Slinger
Lunacyde said:
"at least have them all in Army green or cao army style uniforms..."
That wouldn't be right either though. GI Joe was made up of Army, Navy, Air-force, Marines, and more. They all had different uniforms because they were from different branches of service (and even within the same branches they almost all had different specialties that caused them to have dissimilar uniforms.) I say mix it up completely, I wanna see a broad spectrum of service women and men.
Edited by Acheron

I know that fans have every right to complain and whatnot (since it was the fans who essentially made the franchise what it is), but, you've got to keep in mind, it's a adaptation. It's not meant to be entirely accurate unless the director wants it to be so. This isn't fully directed towards costume comments but the whole movie as one thing. As long as the story stays rooted somewhat in the core of the original source material, I think that they can make some aesthetic changes.

I'm not a G.I. Joe fan (haven't read many of the comics), so take that as you want.

Posted by Lunacyde
Slinger said:
"Lunacyde said:
"at least have them all in Army green or cao army style uniforms..."
That wouldn't be right either though. GI Joe was made up of Army, Navy, Air-force, Marines, and more. They all had different uniforms because they were from different branches of service (and even within the same branches they almost all had different specialties that caused them to have dissimilar uniforms.) I say mix it up completely, I wanna see a broad spectrum of service women and men."
I completely agree...I am just saying that thatd be an improvement to at least have them not in the generic black.Acheron said:
"I know that fans have every right to complain and whatnot (since it was the fans who essentially made the franchise what it is), but, you've got to keep in mind, it's a adaptation. It's not meant to be entirely accurate unless the director wants it to be so. This isn't fully directed towards costume comments but the whole movie as one thing. As long as the story stays rooted somewhat in the core of the original source material, I think that they can make some aesthetic changes.

I'm not a G.I. Joe fan (haven't read many of the comics), so take that as you want."
I am not bashing the movie i will go and see it regardless, I am more worried about nthe writing/acting than the aesthetics really...but as a fan I am pointing out what could have made it better.
Posted by G-Man
Vegas said:
"G-Man said:
"Vegas said:
"They all look very boring. I can understand the need for realism & all but for gods sake put them in camo please!!"
Here's an early scene that I think got cut out.  The whole team is in this picture but they are dressed in camo.  You can see a few if you look hard enough.

"
OMG I totally see Snake Eyes!!  ;-p"
And he calls himself a ninja?
Staff Online
Posted by Vegas
G-Man said:
"Vegas said:
"G-Man said:
"Vegas said:
"They all look very boring. I can understand the need for realism & all but for gods sake put them in camo please!!"
Here's an early scene that I think got cut out.  The whole team is in this picture but they are dressed in camo.  You can see a few if you look hard enough.

"
OMG I totally see Snake Eyes!!  ;-p"
And he calls himself a ninja?"
I know!! He's horrible! Major fail on his part.
Posted by G-Man

It's the opposite affect here.  He refuses to wear something other than black.

Staff Online
Posted by Lunacyde

Man Id love to see G.I. Joe develope into a franchise...eventually Kamakura could come in

Posted by speedlgt
Slinger said:
"Lunacyde said:
"at least have them all in Army green or cao army style uniforms..."
That wouldn't be right either though. GI Joe was made up of Army, Navy, Air-force, Marines, and more. They all had different uniforms because they were from different branches of service (and even within the same branches they almost all had different specialties that caused them to have dissimilar uniforms.) I say mix it up completely, I wanna see a broad spectrum of service women and men."
Slinger your idea plus the fact that joes were not bound to the standard military uniform and thats stated several times in the books and it fully explains why they wear what they want.




And WOW!!!!!!!! those are some very UNREALISTIC outfits there......I mean there NO WAY camo pants and brown bomer jacket could be worn in public........oh and that tan button down shirt with olive pants is totally looking like a CARTOON theres NO WAY you could even buy clothes that color in REAL LIFE
LOL!!!
Edited by XXXExtinctionXXX

Any movie put out after X3 is going to be decent.  Comic Movie makers learned for that major eff up.  

I'm still trying to figure out why they did Spirit. No one ever heard about that outside of comic readers.