Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13415 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Which X-Men Should Join the Avengers?

JROCK72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

Any X-Man or X-Woman could join their ranks, but who do you think should join the Avengers?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

None of them. One of the benefits of the pre-Bendis Marvel Universe was that the Avengers didn't encompass 90% of all heroes.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@jrock72: are you talking about a specific Avengers team, like the Uncanny Avengers, or just in general?

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

NO, god no give us the ones we already lost back! We want Cannonball, and Sunspot back!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator
    GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@xwraith said:

None of them. One of the benefits of the pre-Bendis Marvel Universe was that the Avengers didn't encompass 90% of all heroes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gonnarain: So he's not "dead", but he is dead to you.

JROCK72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

@gonnarain: So he's not "dead", but he is dead to you.

He's not dead, that was just a joke. What @mcklayn was actually referring to was that Sunspot and Cannonball were "gone" because they're currently working with the Avengers.

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ones that are not being used in any x-men comic all can go.

Except the students.

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
    Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Iceman, he's the coolest!

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tigerkaya

None, keep the X-men out of their. Avengers and X-men should always hate each other. The Avengers should have sign on the front gate stating

"no X-men gtfo" hit that home that neither idea like each other. Like Batman and Superman from The Dark Knight Returns.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By lorex

None, the Avengers have become too big and the X-Men do far better when they have some disconnect with the rest of the Marvel universe.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

@mcklayn said:

NO, god no give us the ones we already lost back! We want Cannonball, and Sunspot back!!

Wolverine too. The Avengers can keep Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver though. We'll play rock, paper, scissors for Beast.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrock72 said:

@oldnightcrawler:

Any Avengers team in general. :)

actually, now that I've thought about it, it doesn't really change my answer anyway. I say Northstar.

No Caption Provided

The reason I say it doesn't change my answer is that Uncanny Avengers is the only Avengers book I'm reading right now (I'm also reading New Avengers, but that's actually about the Illuminati), so Uncanny Avengers pretty much is the Avengers for me.

As for why I said Northstar, he's just always been a favorite of mine. He's always seemed a bit of a weird fit to me as an X-man, since he had so few really close personal connections to them, but I don't really think of that as being a prerequisite for being an Avenger. And he'd bring both a cool power-set and a distinct cultural perspective to the team, and those are always qualities I like for an Avenger.

On a related note, while I'm obviously not one of those people who thinks X-men characters shouldn't be Avengers, I do agree with the sentiment that Sunspot and especially Cannonball seem a bit wasted in Avengers, so I'd bring at least Cannonball back to the X-men if it were up to me.

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends which X-men is own by Fox/Sony.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

None of em.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By knighthood

Wait! Wait! I know!!! They can have...

No Caption Provided

He never should have been an X-Man in the first place. If you can't tell, I don't like sharing my mutants. I want the X-men in it own little corner of the Marvel Universe. Plus a much smaller team. I hate all these mega teams. 7 members max.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

@jrock72 said:

@oldnightcrawler:

Any Avengers team in general. :)

actually, now that I've thought about it, it doesn't really change my answer anyway. I say Northstar.

No Caption Provided

The reason I say it doesn't change my answer is that Uncanny Avengers is the only Avengers book I'm reading right now (I'm also reading New Avengers, but that's actually about the Illuminati), so Uncanny Avengers pretty much is the Avengers for me.

As for why I said Northstar, he's just always been a favorite of mine. He's always seemed a bit of a weird fit to me as an X-man, since he had so few really close personal connections to them, but I don't really think of that as being a prerequisite for being an Avenger. And he'd bring both a cool power-set and a distinct cultural perspective to the team, and those are always qualities I like for an Avenger.

On a related note, while I'm obviously not one of those people who thinks X-men characters shouldn't be Avengers, I do agree with the sentiment that Sunspot and especially Cannonball seem a bit wasted in Avengers, so I'd bring at least Cannonball back to the X-men if it were up to me.

i would be willing to trade Northstar for Cannonball, MAKE IT HAPPEN!

BaBaBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Avengers Arena count as an Avengers book?

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood: he'll no, he's your problem now along with Wolverine you keep them.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe this is even in the x-men forums. I really hate the avengers. No x-man or x-woman should join the avengers and the avengers should stop popping in the lives of the x-men

gambit75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would the X-men degrade themselves by joining a B grade Justice League team?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im generally not a fan of mixing these teams like this. I want the xmen separate from the avengers. That said I do read Uncanny Avengers but I would much prefer that book and storylines to be in Uncanny Xmen

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambit75 said:

Why would the X-men degrade themselves by joining a B grade Justice League team?

I had to laugh.

Ultra_beleco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

Definitely agree with everyone else that the X-Men shouldn't join the Avengers. The X-Men would lose what made them unique in the first place if their priorities are similar to the Avengers whenever they join. I like it better when the X-Men are within their own teams.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man, so many kids who don't like their peas touching their mashed potatoes, I can't help but laugh.

I mean, all of these characters exist in the same universe in the first place to make more stories possible, but they're still all separate stories in separate books. I don't think that because some X-men characters have joined the Avengers has taken anything that's special away from either team team. They each still have their own basic purpose and identity.

Take the Beast, for example. He's as much a classic member of the Avengers as any other Avenger, as he was one of the first dozen characters to join, and has aided them as either a member or a reserve member in a lot of their stories, but it's not like that makes him any less of a classic X-men character. He's just both, and I don't see how that takes anything away from him as a character, or from the X-men or the Avengers as distinct teams. If anything, it's only made both his personal history and the history of the Avengers that much more interesting.

Besides the fact that I really do think that Uncanny Avengers is the best, most classic Avengers book going right now, and that I think people are ultimately doing themselves a disservice by not giving it a real chance because of this arbitrary bias, I also think it's worth noting that the book has totally rejuvenated my interest in characters like Havok and Rogue precisely because it's put them in a new context.

So, if anything, I find it pretty limiting to both the characters and the creators to try to implement some arbitrary rule about which characters can be part of which stories.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not a fan of all the mixing. No Avengers ever become Xmen so why do Xmen have to join Avengers. Again with that in mind I do enjoy Uncanny Avengers and if I had to put some Xmen there as part of a team up it would be Havok, Dazzler, Cannonball and Sunspot. But they would stay there permanently.

Of course Ive always been a fan on the Xmen being in their own universe period. And anyway there are too many teams all over the place as it is in both the Avengers (how many are there now a hundred) and the Xmen ( I swear all the 198 are on the team)

Diamondlifer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No body
    Sunspot and cannonball need to come back

tomchu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tomchu

Still don't understand why Sunspot and Cannonball are on the Avengers. Hickman doesn't even use them. It's like buying a toy and not playing it. If you excuse me, I've got a lego set to build...

But seriously, it already annoyed me that Storm joined the Avengers.

*Edit: I guess if theyre really serious of pulling over X-Men, they should just take the quasi-X-Men, like Deadpool, or Namor.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: My only problem is that I don't want X-Men characters to have major key issues to be books that I'm not really interested in reading.

Okay, I've playfully dodged the OP's question enough times. Personally I'd like to see Skids back in a regular series. No, she doesn't have an amazing cosmic powerset, but comics should be about character not powers. Sally could made a solid Avenger if used properly.

No Caption Provided

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

Still not a fan of all the mixing. No Avengers ever become Xmen so why do Xmen have to join Avengers. Again with that in mind I do enjoy Uncanny Avengers and if I had to put some Xmen there as part of a team up it would be Havok, Dazzler, Cannonball and Sunspot. But they would stay there permanently.

Actually, there were some characters who became Avengers before they became X-men. Both Namor and Captain Marvel (Ms. Marvel) were Avengers before they joined the X-men. And Quicksilver was an Avenger before joining X-factor.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@soa said:

@xwraith said:

This. I like pre-Bendis Avengers.

That said, if they are going to get any, make it New Mutants or other lesser known X-heroes. I don't need Pryde, Colossus or Psylocke in the Avengers.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dayvid3

They can have sub mariner and magneto with the deal that they can only be on that team (lose the jerks). Otherwise none

coolbeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By coolbeans

I always thought Iceman or Banshee (if he was still alive) would make a great Avenger. This one is a little out there, but I feel like Rachel Grey would make a great strong female character on an avengers team.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tigerkaya

@gambit75: and I wouldn't want the Avengers joining a C Grade version of Doom Patrol.

Good to see X-fans share the same sentiments of keeping these two teams part. Who's with they should remain enemies to one another.

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Storm or Northstar, imo.

gambit75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WTF is Doom Patrol?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler:

If you weigh how many Xmen have become Avengers vs. how many started as Avengers and left to become Xmen, its no comparison. That was my point.

Ms.Marvel joined the Xmen? I don't remember that. I never really counted Namor because he was solo and was an Xman for only a short time but I guess that's a point. Quicksilver was also a villain before any of it if I recall correctly. But characters like that should be the only crossover as far as having a link to mutants.

In reality imo there are too many Xmen and too many Avengers period.

That being said I would still have Havok, Dazzler, Cannonball and Sunspot join Uncanny Avengers. Beast could go over permanently as well just because I cant figure out what team to put them on in marvel dream scenario lol

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler:

Quicksilver was also a villain before any of it if I recall correctly.

Yeah Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were both X-Men villains first. It's kinda sad when they're stealing our bad guys. I don't want Namor on the X-Men (or the Avengers either). Danvers (whom I love) was a marginal member at best.

@dayvid3 said:

They can have sub mariner and magneto with the deal that they can only be on that team (lose the jerks). Otherwise none

I'd love to see Magneto on the Avengers. That'd be hilarious.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

@gambit75: and I wouldn't want the Avengers joining a C Grade version of Doom Patrol.

Good to see X-fans share the same sentiments of keeping these two teams part. Who's with they should remain enemies to one another.

I'm not sure if I want the X-Men and the Avengers to become enemies of each other, but maybe friendly rivals. Having them become enemies might sprout up another AvX event.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

@oldnightcrawler:

If you weigh how many Xmen have become Avengers vs. how many started as Avengers and left to become Xmen, its no comparison. That was my point.

Sure, but the prerequisites for being a member of either team are just drastically different. To join the X-men, a character pretty much just has to be a mutant (which most marvel superheroes are) willing to train to be a hero, whereas with the Avengers it's more about being a proven hero already.

And I do agree that most X-men characters aren't really Avengers material. Magneto and Emma come to mind. Or Cyclops, Gambit, Psylocke, Bishop, Domino, etc.. ..all great X-men characters who wouldn't make good Avengers, which, in itself, is a good example of the character of the team that distinguishes the X-men from the Avengers.

I'm just saying that some X-men characters make as much(or, in some cases more) sense as Avengers as they do X-men. Sunfire, for example, was never really an X-man to begin with. Beast, Cannonball, Sunspot, Havok, Dazzler, etc.. have as much (or more) history not being X-men as they do with the team. Wolverine's mostly been a constant X-man, but still has a strong mythology of his own separate from the team, and has classically always had his own adventures outside of that context anyway. And Rogue's back-story already connects her to the Avengers.

I'm not saying all of these characters should be Avengers, I'm just saying it seems completely arbitrary to draw some imaginary line in the sand about the whole thing, since the coolest thing about the Avengers is that they represent the shared universe of so many characters anyway.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabbitearsblog: fair point but instead of friendly rivals keep them as hated rivals both sides hate each but tolerate each other to some minuscule extant where both teams feel uncomfortable being in the same room with one another. Keep that whole Authority versus Rebels angle given how both teams have a different ideology.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.