Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Man of Steel: Early Reactions (Kinda Spoilery)

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

These are early reactions to MoS I found on CBM. Frankly, this makes me a little worried:

"Short version: Looks amazing, action is awesome, Cavill & cast are excellent. Unlike any Superman film we’ve seen so far…

Long version: More of an origin story of Kal-El than Clark Kent - if that makes sense - from the opening scenes on Krypton to the arrival of General Zod and the threatened genocide of humanity, Man of Steel is about what it means to be human - how Kal-El finally accepts he is Clark Kent, and how human kind accept Superman as one of our own. It’s a film about being an outsider - being different, and accepting yourself whether others do or not. It’s a film about fathers and sons, and - with more than a few sly biblical references - it’s a film about faith. Not necessarily religious faith, but faith in others. Faith in yourself. Negatives would be the lack of character development in anyone other than Kal/Clark - Martha Kent and Lois Lane both suffer from underwriting, and Lois Lane especially is denied the chance to develop beyond two strong scenes, becoming a damsel in distress/love interest by film’s end. Not quite at the same level as Batman Begins, but gives a stronger platform for sequel development than Superman Returns did."

Some reactions from "movie people" and one second-hand account sent his way:

"One dm I got for MOS stated that it made him weep it was that great. He wishes he could write about it and break this embargo."

"MOS is awesome:) Best Summer movie yet.

"I loved MOS. Completely disagree with people nit picking "not enough personality". It's different: Bigger action, tight, VERY focused story.

And now the not so positive. This is a second hand account from an unnamed movie blogger:

"I haven't seen Man Of Steel yet, but from those that have (and are under embargo) I've heard it's abysmal. 4 or 5 said go in with way, way lowered expectation, and that they've removed all sense of character from the film"

And

Jenn Murphy

writes:

"There's a reason why they told us not to tweet about the movie we just saw: IT'S TERRIBLE!!!

Also it definitely fails the Bechdel Test. Seriously can big budget movies create a decent role for a woman? It's getting pretty ridiculous."
    FlashDamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please god let this not fail please

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This is nothing new, we've been seeing reviews for months now

If i were you i would just wait till the actual movie is out instead of getting worried over some random reactions on the internet

Plus the negative reviews seem pretty poor compared to the positive ones

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I already seen this in CBM. Chick thinks this is Lois Lane : The Movie.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Alright... Everyone who seen it already loved it. Lets hope it can make lots of money on the box office.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stormbox said:

If i were you i would just wait till the actual movie is out instead of getting worried over some random reactions on the internet

For months now? This is the first I've seen on CBM, so I was just sharing it. Also, notice I used the word 'little'. Obviously a few reactions isn't exactly defining and I'll hold off a final opinion until I've actually seen it, but some aspects of the reactions perturb me a bit.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

So the biggest complaint so far is that Superman is the most developed character in a Superman movie? Also Lois has been the damsel in distress for a good 98% of the time she's existed in comics so what's the big deal with her being that in the movie?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe the main complaint will be there's not enough Jimmy Olsen in the superman movie.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@veshark: Thanks for posting this. Always interesting to see different sides of the spectrum.

@sandman_ said:

I already seen this in CBM. Chick thinks this is Lois Lane : The Movie.

right, The title says it all, it's on your ticket stub . . . what did you expect . Same with the comics.

Maybe the main complaint will be there's not enough Jimmy Olsen in the superman movie.

Dude! LOL sometimes you crack me up! :D Poor Jimmy.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where have these ppl seen the movie? Anyway the world premiere is on the 10th so let's wait till then and see the reactions from that.

FlashDamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where have these ppl seen the movie? Anyway the world premiere is on the 10th so let's wait till then and see the reactions from that.

I think you mean the 14th june

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashdamn: ya it's releasing worldwide June 14th but the premiere is on the 10th in NYC

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Test audiences and early screening for critics.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Deranged Midget

I don't care for expanded opinions whatsoever. Everyone has their own thoughts regarding a subject and that's fine. I'll determine how I feel towards the film when I watch it :)

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@stormbox said:

For months now? This is the first I've seen on CBM, so I was just sharing it. Also, notice I used the word 'little'. Obviously a few reactions isn't exactly defining and I'll hold off a final opinion until I've actually seen it, but some aspects of the reactions perturb me a bit.

Yea these arent the first early screenings, theres been other (legit) reviews on the web for some time now

And yes i noticed that but i wouldnt be even a little worried for three reasons:

1. You dont know these people's tastes, they could like completely different things that the ones you like
    2. The reviews are super crappy, i barely saw any criticism at all
    3. Some of these could be pure bs anyway, its easy to say "hey i saw man of steel, it was awesome/horrible" without any proof (the i didnt see the movie but i knew people who did is a classic)

Plus all of those previous legit reviews i mentioned were positive, some were even by superman haters

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But at least his sister Jenny is there..................... who am I kidding, I want Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. Not some gender-bent version that tags along with Lois.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Its superfluous.

Of course Supes is gonna be the most developed....Its his movie.

Avatar image for silverjuggernaut
    silverJuggernaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Im going to the movie purly to be entertined. The main thing I want to see is epic fights with awsome cg, scenes that make me feel the emotion the character is feeling and to see superman become the hero we all know and love.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems to be some mixed reactions. One thing that seems to be consistent though, even with the positive reactions, is that this movie doesn't seem to have as much character development as we might have thought.

- "Negatives would be the lack of character development in anyone other than Kal/Clark"

- "removed all sense of character"

- Completely disagree with people nit picking "not enough personality". It's different: Bigger action, tight,VERY focused story."

- "can big budget movies create a decent role for a woman? It's getting pretty ridiculous."

This is only the first wave of people who've seen the movie. More reactions will be incoming in the next few weeks

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novi_homines: its gonna focus all the character development on Supes...its his story. Same thing happened in the Batman movies.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By novi_homines

@sandman_ said:

@novi_homines: its gonna focus all the character development on Supes...its his story. Same thing happened in the Batman movies.

I have no problem with that. It's his movie, and everyone else is not important. But I will say though that it'll be wise to try to incorporate the development for the others as well, going into the second film. Because i'm guessing that he will be spending alot of time as a human, in the daily planet. It would be nice to have strong characters already established when that happens.

And there have been numerous cases where origin stories include a certain amount of significance to supporting characters as well. Iron Man had Rhodes, and Pepper. Spiderman had harry and aunt may. And thor was nearly overshadowed by his brother Loki in his own film. Sometimes its good to have character development in other characters as well.Though with DC characters, alot of them are more alone, so its understandable. Especially in supes' case. I have no worries about the movie though. I'm sure it'll be fantastic. And i'm going to be totally honest here, I think it may be the best comic book movie of all time. That's just how I think it'll be. I couldn't care less about any one else's opinions on the movie. Opinions are just that, opinions. None can be considered as facts.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_ said:

I have no problem with that. It's his movie, and everyone else is not important. But I will say though that it'll be wise to try to incorporate the development for the others as well, going into the second film. Because i'm guessing that he will be spending alot of time as a human, in the daily planet. It would be nice to have strong characters already established when that happens.

And there have been numerous cases where origin stories include a certain amount of significance to supporting characters as well. Iron Man had Rhodes, and Pepper. Spiderman had harry and aunt may. And thor was nearly overshadowed by his brother Loki in his own film. Sometimes its good to have character development in other characters as well.Though with DC characters, alot of them are more alone, so its understandable. Especially in supes' case. I have no worries about the movie though. I'm sure it'll be fantastic. And i'm going to be totally honest here, I think it may be the best comic book movie of all time. That's just how I think it'll be. I couldn't care less about any one else's opinions on the movie. Opinions are just that, opinions. None can be considered as facts.

Indeed....Why do we have too wait so much??? 2 weeks feels like 2 months!

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By novi_homines

@sandman_ said:

@novi_homines said:

@sandman_ said:

Indeed....Why do we have too wait so much??? 2 weeks feels like 2 months!

I KNOW!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.