Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel Universe Online (2012) - New Details + Free 2 Play

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jordanstine

Coming in 2012 (possibly around The Avengers film):

Links: 1 & 2

Quote:
    At a recent press event, publisher Gazillion Entertainment revealed the head writer of its upcoming Marvel comics-inspired massively multiplayer game Marvel Universe. That writer: none other than Brian Michael Bendis, whose credits include the House of M, Secret Invasion, and Ultimate Spider-Man.

The game will take place in venues and timelines gleaned from the entire Marvel comic universe, in Bendis' words, "back from the classic era all the way to the modern".

And that unlike other superhero-themed massively multiplayer games that require players to either create new characters from scratch or act as sidekicks to existing superheroes, Marvel Universe will let players play as the actual iconic Marvel characters they know and love. The panel rattled off only a handful of Marvel's iconic comic heroes that will appear as playable characters, such as Spider-Man, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, and, as Bendis added jokingly, the obscure hero known as Squirrel Girl.

The panel did at least address some of the game's story-related elements. Said Jefferson, "[Gazillion is] going to try to make the game recognizable to both casual fans and to hardcore fans. We're really looking for breadth here," explained the executive. The stated goal is to create a game that will be of interest to someone who might have just learned about Marvel comics from watching the Iron Man 2 motion picture, as well as to faithful, hardcore comic fans who pick up their issues and trades every week.

Without giving any specific examples, the group suggested that the game's overarching story will let players "play through the great moments of the Marvel universe" and that the game will "launch with more Marvel characters than in any other Marvel game to date". So players should expect to see a huge roster of iconic heroes and villains.

The game will feature all of Marvel’s universes, from Earth-616, Ultimate, Supreme Power, including Film and Novel worlds all mentioned specifically. “We’ll take from anywhere,” said Jefferson.

“One of the real charms of a game like this is that the player will get to create their own continuity,” said Bendis. “This the ultimate answer to message board bitching. ‘All right, go do it yourself!’”

FAQ:

Q: Will there be any subscription fees?

A: No, there will be no $15 monthly subscription fees i.e. DC Universe Online. This game will be FREE to play.

Q: What storylines would be available for the users to play?

A: Players will be able to walk through the big events of the Marvel Universe, from the classic 60’s comic book storylines, and through every era of the Marvel history. If there is support for the game, there will be much more events added including storylines that may compass the current big event releases of that time (can you say "Fear Itself").

Q: How many characters will be in the game?

A: Definite number not yet announced, but it will be the BIGGEST roster of any Marvel superhero game; from the top level heroes like Spider-Man to the not-so-renowned like Squirrel Girl (sidenote: there are over 5,000 characters from Marvel Comics; how many will be in the game is still to be announced). The game will also feature all the Marvel Universes from Earth-616, Ultimate, Supreme Power, including Film and Novel Worlds. Possibly a good chance for a Stan Lee cameo as well.

Q: What happens if a lot of users decide to play as a certain character i.e. Wolverine, will there be 1,000 Wolverines running around Day One?

A: If you choose to be, let's say Earth-616 Wolverine in the game, you will be the ONLY Earth-616 Wolverine in YOUR own continuity created universe.  In other words, if you decide Earth-616 Wolverine as your main character, the game will automatically place you in a server where there is no other Earth-616 Wolverine, hence you are the ONLY one in that particular server. So yes, there may be 1,000 Wolverines currently running around the game, but only 1 in each universe / server.  However a universe could share an Earth-616 Wolverine with an Ultimate Wolverine, etc.

Q: Will there be guilds, where we can team-up with friends?

A: Yes, friends can team-up online and form teams / guilds just like any other MMO, regardless of how you're playing.   

----
    More information to come once available.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Nova`Prime`

So they aren't going to create original stories or "quests" for the game just the retelling of other stuff? I doubt you'll get any of the good stories and probably get stuck doing all of Bendis' crap.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Manchine

Wow, this game went from I have to check it out to why try it.  I want to play my own characters not someone elses.
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Shadow_Thief

I'll give any free game a fair try.

Wildebeest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wildebeest

@Manchine

And I feel exactly the opposite. Especially after seeing so many cheap knock-offs of Marvel and DC characters on games.

This is a brilliant decision. And it's about time someone decided to take this route with an MMO. Especially after DCUO sucked.

It's the first game where you're not stuck playing some knock-off character. You actually get to play the characters people care about.

No longer are you a second class character in a world full of superheroes. Or just a sidekick or hero in training. You are The Hero.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Gambit1024

I hope that this could be on console.

Wildebeest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wildebeest

They suggested that it'll launch for the PC. But there's always a chance it could be released on Console also.

Of course, given how much having to work for a console ruined DCUO, I'm hoping they don't go that route.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Deranged Midget

Hmm... free to play sounds good. Have nothing to lose then eh. 

Hopefully the combat doesn't fail.
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PrinceIMC

Now I've been waiting for this for years. I thought my hopes were dead after the Champions online thing. And maybe DCUO will be free when this ones comes out to compete with it.

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
    The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sorry someone explain the whole play as a Marvel character thing. it's confused me 

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually prefer making my own characters. The Menacing Bunny and Botulism would so own Doctor Doom in Secret Wars.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Deranged Midget
    @The Umbra Sorcerer: Instead of the normal MMO where you get to create your own character, this one let's you actually play as any Marvel character.
    The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deranged Midget: I know that bit. But would that not mean that there would be hundreds of characters the exact same in the game.
    Wildebeest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wildebeest

If they handle it like Super Hero Squad Online does, you can't group with the same characters on missions.
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By CATPANEXE

I like some of the aspects they brought up.
    I've been avoiding games like this since i tend to get sucked into modding, and thereafter no one see's me for a few
    months in the real world, lol.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danhimself

sounds interesting and complicated

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Deranged Midget
    @The Umbra Sorcerer: It basically answers it in the Q & A. Each player has their own continuity, and each Marvel universe plays a part in this. If you chose Wolverine(616) and your friend wanted Wolverine as well, the only way to play together is if he chose Ultimate Wolverine.

At least that's what I understand it to be saying. 
    The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deranged Midget: Thats so confusing i understand it now. But they should really just let players create a character
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#19  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

The fact that it's FREE tells me it will suck......

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GTG12

sounds cool
    Avatar image for andy_steven_summers
    Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have little faith in this game from what I've heard..
    Also if this game is created for platforms and pc's (DCU biggest mistake, besides letting SoE run things..). It will pretty much suck on pc.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nova`Prime`
    @Andy Steven Summers said:
    I have little faith in this game from what I've heard..Also if this game is created for platforms and pc's (DCU biggest mistake, besides letting SoE run things..). It will pretty much suck on pc.
    Totally agree, although it sucks that is the case considering there are a lot of good console/PC games.
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Deranged Midget
    @The Umbra Sorcerer: Yeah, this is basically Ultimate Alliance with thousands of players.
    Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

I am so stoked for this!!!!! I can imagine it now, smashing the Ultimate Universe as WWHulk, opening a can of whoop-ass on Sentry as Supreme Power Hyperion, kicking butt and taking names as Punisher in the Marvel Zombie-verse, and bringing all kinda of madness and hilarity to the Noir Universe as Deadpool!!!!

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Manchine
    @War Killer said:
    The fact that it's FREE tells me it will suck......
    That's also part of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.