Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gothic_City
No Caption Provided

Overview

Gothic City is one of the largest cities in America, and among the top fifty largest cities in the world in terms of geographical size and population.

Known as a 'Global Power City' because of the staggering wealth controlled by its wealthiest individuals it is also home to a vast number of individuals who live in total poverty. Because of this it is often considered the most unequal city in America and is a frequent topic of politicians and pundits of all stripes.

The distinctive architecture of the city is recognizable world wide and is simultaneously a symbol of great wealth and power, but also rampant corruption, poverty, and a lack of law and order.

History

Gothic City was founded by a family of mercenaries who made their fortune fighting in the American war for independence.

In the early years it was little more than a few stores, a single road and the docks. But as more and more wealth begin to pore through the ports they expanded, and so too did the city. By the end of the 18th century it was a thriving port town with a booming population of immigrants.

Between the 18th and 19th centuries it became caught up in the industrial age, because of the high population of inexpensive labor and proximity to an established harbor. It was one of the first American cities to become fully industrialized, but also one of the first cities to suffer the pains of pollution and organized crime.

In the Second World War the entire industrial portion of the city was tapped to manufacture for the war effort, and the cities massive population was drafted heavily to fight on both fronts. A tremendous surplus of weapons was stockpiled, and due to the corruption of the city officials it is not uncommon to see those weapons on the streets of Gothic today. After the war ended many veterans returned home to find themselves out of work, with few prospects for employment as many of the weapons factories shut down.

Through the sixties and seventies Gothic city experienced violet waves of civil unrest. Protests riots and violent crime skyrocketed. The mayor announced a harsh crackdown on all types of crimes and formed a special police unit to handle the large scale violence that was sweeping the city.

The eighties and nineties brought the return of organized crime and drug distribution on a scale unprecedented in American history. Corruption was rampant among the police and many of the poorer areas of the city were simply abandoned to their fates. Deep corruption among the judges and prosecutors office made it nearly impossible to imprison the crime bosses, but the Gothic City Penitentiary filled to overflowing with minor street criminals.

The early two thousands brought some minor changes, but all that was shattered with the collapse of the housing bubble. Dozens of local banks went completely out of business and the cities middle class was decimated. The city declared bankruptcy in 2010 but was denied. With greatly reduced tax income and creditors at every door the city of Gothic closed most public services and cut back police and rescue as much as was possible, leading to another wave of crime and disorder.

Today the city is dived sharply between the halves, who dwell in massive glass high-rises and the have nots, who often dwell in pitiful squallier. Crime is higher in Gothic City than any city in America, and it is considered the murder capitol of the civilized world.

Cityscape

Gothic city is recognizable world wide for its gothic architecture. Built piecemeal over the course of several centuries the city is a winding, confusing mess of streets overshadowed by tremendous dark structures. Several prominent psychologists have theorized the oppressive atmosphere of the city contributes to its high levels of mental illness and crime.

No Caption Provided

The famous docks of Gothic are one of the largest ports in america, bringing in several million tons of freight per day. Corruption is rampant with drugs, illegal immigrants, weapons and more slipping through customs every day.

Boasting very low taxes for its wealthiest citizens and gated communities where those who can afford it live with nearly 20% of the cities police force protecting under .01% of its population it is a popular destination for the wealthiest Americans. A Cape Killer outpost was established in early 2013 to enforce the Registration Act, only strengthening the cities reputation as a bastion of the rich and famous.

For its poorest the situation is diametrically opposed. They live in cramped squallier, often without proper services. The electricity is frequently disrupted, the city water is considered the worst in America, and the murder rate is staggering.

Culture

The culture of Gothic City is sharply divided between the wealthy and the poor.

No Caption Provided

For the rich life is often a series of galas, parties, and social events of ever increasing decadence. With nearly unlimited money to burn and entire sections of the city guarded night and day by the Cape Killers and police the parties are vast, sprawling and frequently illegal. Considered second only to Las Vegas as the party capital of America, Gothic cities high life has become so dedicate it is a byword for extreme entertainment.

No Caption Provided

The poor have an entirely different experience. A culture of violence, fear of criminal organizations and the police, and the glorification of the drug trade prevails. Few children manage to graduate from the cities overcrowded schools and those that do find only a few low paying jobs waiting for them. For most there is only a short life on government assistance, or a shorter life of crime.

Economy

The economy of Gothic city is crippled by decades of corruption, mismanagement, and the housing bubble. When the cities attempt to file bankruptcy was denied under suspicious conditions most of the remaining investors in the cities infrastructure departed.

Because of the widespread poverty and low tax rate for its wealthiest citizens the city of Gothic has little money to pay its creditors or provide services. The police are chronically under funded, tragically one of the lowest paying jobs in a city famous for its violence. Many have turned to bribes or theft to supplement their income, further increasing an already vast problem with corruption.

Despite this the entertainment section of the economy is booming, mostly due to the large number of wealthy clients willing to pay whatever it takes for the most extreme forms of entertainment they can find.

Transportation

At one time Gothic City boasted a large and high tech system of rail transit, including the largest network of subways in America. However budget cutbacks in the early nineties resulted in its closer and now a large population of homeless dwell under the streets of Gothic.

The city itself is a twisting, turning madhouse of confusing streets and oppressive atmosphere Centuries of uncontrolled pollution and smog have left the city under near constant rainfall and eroded the roads dangerously.

Parkour is a popular pastime in the city as the large degree of overbuilding, and poor building codes have left many buildings dangerously close together. As a result many city youth transverse the city in risky leaps, dashes and jumps, flying from building to building in death defying acrobatics.

Teams

Children of the Damned:The CoD are a diverse group of heroically inclined crime fighters who are based in the old LinkTeck building. City Hall classifies them as vigilantes however the term does not entirely capture the nuance of the team.

Villains

POW:Armed with kinetic energy gauntlets and a protective suit this former Metahuman Affairs agent is a villain known for his bold robberies and the jaw dropping power of his energy blasts.

Brahma Bull: Of all of those who have plagued Gothic City it is Brahma Bull who is perhaps the most feared, for he strikes without mercy and his stride leaves nothing but the dead in its wake.

Honor Avenger: The Darwinist Dictator herself has recently escaped from Bedlam Asylum, leaving the city in chaos as supervillains rampaged free and civilians hid in terror of the Avenger's return.

Vigilantes

Dark Vengeance:A mysterious vigilante renown for his brutality against those he regards as criminals. His name has become synonymous with fear and violence in the night.

Kurt:A green clad archer who uses his energy construct abilities to fight crime and the various villains that plague Gothic.

Nobody:A black clad vigilante, known for his agility and quickness. Once a relative unknown his fame has been growing with every passing day.

Tails:This green skinned shape shifter uses his animal powers to fight back against the creeping horrors of Gothic as well as running a blog about his favorite heroes.

Vex: Also known as the 'Caped Crusader' this acrobatic hero fights a one man war for the heart and soul of Gothic by night and again by day in his role as Gothic Cities District Attorney.

Notable Figures

Gunther Beremud, owner of the Alaric Foundation. A half-way house for those unfortunate souls it took in it seems under a shroud of fear.. as if there are screams one can't quite hear. But that is mere superstitious nonsense.

Allegiance:The all american hero himself has been spotted in Gothic city. Rumors of his crime fighting prowess and shield throwing ability circulated after he defeated a number of aggressive mutated plants.

Recent Events

Assassination of the Mayor! All hear this! The mayor of Gothic City has been assassinated by a mysterious figure! The police are on the look out, and the Cape Killers have sworn to bring the murderer to justice.. at all costs..

Terrorist Attack! A bomb attack on Gothic City Central Police Station, a raid on a high security prison, and a new channel hi-jacked by a violent anarchist! The city goes on high alert and people are told to stay in their homes.

Death March: The feared Strigidae Zero and Horseman of Death, Brahma Bull, unleashed his bloodthirsty killers upon Gothic City.

Gothic Burns:Amaranth, immortal warrior and mutant extremist gathered an army including many of the worlds most powerful and deadly mutants. Descending upon Gothic City in a tide of rage they plunged the city into a month of war. In the end only the combined efforts of Avalon and a horde of heroes turned back the invasion.

Bedlam Breakout! When the villain Honor Avenger escapes from Bedlam Asylum she unleashed a mass of enraged supervillains who unleashed their madness upon the civilian population of Gothic.

Rules

This is an interaction/location thread inspired by Gotham City and Grimm City. It also has certain rules that are in addition to the existing CVnU rules. This is to create a different environment than is the norm, and focus on the unique aspects of roleplay in that environment.

Power Levels:Power levels above a certain degree are regulated. This is to keep the focus of the thread on street level characters, and to prevent a high powered character showing up and solving all the problems, or pushing around the street levelers who make Gothic City their home.

It is very simple. If your character could defeat Pre-new52 Midnighter without any real trouble than you are too powerful for this thread. There are no exceptions, and I will allow ZERO loopholes. If you interpret your character as too powerful for Midnighter than you may not post here! This isn't to exclude anyone, just to focus the RP on the lower power levels that fit this setting.

Living Location: This is the 'Villains, Vigilantes, Notables and Recent Events' section. This thread is alive, with its own canon, history, and famous people. These will ALL BE PCs. All you need to do to join the list is PM my Lady Liberty, Kratesis, or Amaranth Strix account, depending on which one I am on.

To be a notable criminal, hero, or other figure all you need to do is meet the power level requirements for the thread. Fill free to create your own home base here, such as a villain lair or vigilante base. You may add NPC's WITHIN REASON. No armies, but a large number of tough minions is fine.

If you wish to have your events added to the living history of this thread you need to PM me with a link to what happened, and add all the people involved into the PM so they can have a say in how it is recorded.

OOC: Feel free to talk, post gifs, and so forth to your hearts content. As a location thread this is the IC and OOC both.

I will edit the thread and add/adjust information as I have time. Feel free to PM me with any questions, and have fun :-)

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Amaranth

[[ Tetelestai. ]]

Avatar image for crazy_cory_cali_m00r
Crazy_Cory_Cali_M00R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably the most interactively innovative user on this forum.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Amaranth

Probably the most interactively innovative user on this forum.

[[ Thank you very much :-) ]]

Fukuro_Zoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmhm.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Pyrogram

Cool. Probably have a go at this.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Amaranth
Tiferet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just put me in charge of the Reggies here. I'll handle things, become a hero to the people, and make myself a legend in the process.

Heh, I guess we kinda are like SOLDIER.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Amaranth

@tiferet: [[ Hehe feel free! Some people enforcing the Act here would be awesome. ]]

Tiferet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be the guy to remind everyone, "Hey. We work for YOU!" Because the Reggies need a hero face, and Lady Libby's angry face just won't cut it. Plus the way she approached me, it was kind of rough at first.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tiferet:

If you enforce the Act wana do a battle with my guy trying to assassinate you?

Tiferet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: No. Not really. I don't think that would be fun at all. I'm kidding. I've been looking to kick ass anyway, or something.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pyrogram
Honor Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(awesome job, might make this the home of CVnU Honor Girl :D)

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@honor_girl: [ Kick ass! The look and character look perfect for this :-) If you decide you want a base or anything added into canon here just toss me a PM and I'll add it to the OP. ]

Avatar image for andy_steven_summers
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(Awesome OP Strix. I'll think of a character and jump in on this sometime soon.)

Honor Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@honor_girl: [ Kick ass! The look and character look perfect for this :-) If you decide you want a base or anything added into canon here just toss me a PM and I'll add it to the OP. ]

(well the story of the character is all Prime CVU stuff, but I'm planning on switching things around and making more CVnU Friendly :) As soon as I work out the kinks in her bio, I'll shoot you over a PM :D)

Honor Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Honor Girl

@_spider_man_:

(idk if Light or any of the other Honor Family members would be up to doing that again, I was gonna kinda write out Honor Girl like how I did over in LW... only... more Arrow friendly than Batman friendly lol)

Honor Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_spider_man_:

(>_> His name is Allen... holds the bow close to her LOL)

Honor Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMFG YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5791500128090
deactivated-5791500128090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amaranth_strix:

Clarification please

Does this preclude a character outside the accepted power levels from even making an IC appearance for conversational interactions ?

_Space_Man_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amaranth_strix: Does that power rule only count if were fighting, or all the time? No just having a meeting here?

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5791500128090
deactivated-5791500128090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ellie_knightfall
Ellie_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So hypothetically if I were to set Ellie and The Aerie up here...characters above that power level (such as Quintus) would be prohibited from interacting with her within the limits of the city?

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ellie_knightfall: Yes. No exceptions at all. [Although I'm not convinced Quintus could defeat Midnighter without any trouble]

_Astrid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Night falls upon the city, and the hunter falls upon the unwary.

A horn rings out over the silent city, originating from seemingly every direction. The war horn slowly eased down to silence. The game had begun.

The scenery, grotesque yet serene. An abandoned building in the darker district, used as a housing for a small gang. Or, at least it did. *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG*.... [murmured cursing, accompanied by sounds of hands shuffling]... *click*. "Unload on that f#cking thing you a##holes!" The ringleader yelled as his lackeys fumbled with their weapons. They were tucked into a corner of a large section, presumably for the offices, in nigh complete darkness. A single, large shadow leaps among the darkness... dancing with the light of the gunfire as it came. This lovely process lasted nearly half an hour before the men ran out of ammo, or the beast got tired of playing with it's prey. Whichever came first. The meal was good for the creature, and it made sure to mark it's territory.

The severed limbs of the lesser members of society adorned the fence surrounding the building as they dried in the sunlight the next day. Soon the beast would get hungry again, but as of now she sat in a nearby, lonely park whistling bird songs with a smile on her face.

_Astrid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amaranth_strix: The vibe I'm getting from this thread is that it is more about action than interaction. Is that intended?

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_astrid_: [ Its about whatever you want to do. Interactions were the intention, but people are free to do whatever they like. ]

_Astrid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By _Astrid_

@amaranth_strix: Well, with limits based on powers it seems like it would be based on the use of powers.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_astrid_: [ Its just to keep high powered characters from altering the street level vibe. Prevents the usual arms race. I made the limit Midknighter, instead of Spiderman, because very few characters can actually defeat him, much less defeat him easily. That way the majority of people could use the thread on their mains. ]

_Astrid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By _Astrid_

@amaranth_strix: How would they alter the vibe if all they are doing is talking to a family member/friend/associate/whatever? I'm just saying this isn't the age of fighting, and most defiantly not the age of Batmen.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_astrid_: [ I don't think they would, but from there its something else, then something else, and so on. I can't police every interaction lol. ]

_Astrid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amaranth_strix: Well, okay then. I just hope we don't go into another "Age of Assassins" again.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dean_: [ Coolness. I'm making an alt for this too lol, gotta get her through flood protection. ]

Trinity-Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destroys the entire city, no jokes, no nothing.

No, I'm kidding, naturally.

Amaranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schlampe said:

Destroys the entire city, no jokes, no nothing.

[ HAH! ]

Grey_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_astrid_ said:

Night falls upon the city, and the hunter falls upon the unwary.

A horn rings out over the silent city, originating from seemingly every direction. The war horn slowly eased down to silence. The game had begun.

The scenery, grotesque yet serene. An abandoned building in the darker district, used as a housing for a small gang. Or, at least it did. *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG*.... [murmured cursing, accompanied by sounds of hands shuffling]... *click*. "Unload on that f#cking thing you a##holes!" The ringleader yelled as his lackeys fumbled with their weapons. They were tucked into a corner of a large section, presumably for the offices, in nigh complete darkness. A single, large shadow leaps among the darkness... dancing with the light of the gunfire as it came. This lovely process lasted nearly half an hour before the men ran out of ammo, or the beast got tired of playing with it's prey. Whichever came first. The meal was good for the creature, and it made sure to mark it's territory.

The severed limbs of the lesser members of society adorned the fence surrounding the building as they dried in the sunlight the next day. Soon the beast would get hungry again, but as of now she sat in a nearby, lonely park whistling bird songs with a smile on her face.

A canid creature emerged from the shadows of the city, his head down, nose twitching. There was a Lycan in the city. This would require investigation. With a low growl, the Grey Wolf seemed to dissolve into the fleeting darkness as dawn approached.

Victor made a face as he walked the streets of Gothic City. He tugged at his collar, unbuttoning the top two buttons of his blood red shirt. His grey eyes searched the urban setting, his nose wiggling as he sniffed with his augmented olfactory senses. He stopped midstep after catching a familiar scent. His head turned toward the stranger in the park. The gray haired man walked toward her casually. "Lovely day today, isn't it?" He aimed to start up an unassuming conversation.

_Astrid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greywolf: The she wolf picked meat from her teeth as the man approached her, taking her time before answering. "Oh, I'm sorry? I didn't notice you. Lovely isn't the word I'd personally use." she looked up at him for a second before leaning back in her seat, stretching her arms back. "The morning was rather tasteful, however."

Grey_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Grey_Wolf

@_astrid_: He arched a brow. "Do you make a habit of slaughtering humans?"

_Astrid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greywolf: She shook her head with a smile. "Not a habit, a hobby. I don't see any harm done. Some few miscreants die, the wolf goes home fed and doesn't have to make multiple women widows. Everyone wins. Well, except you, because I don't know who you are." She looks at him with a curious look. "What is your stake?"

On a separate Occasion...

@Algernon:

A man flees into the gate of a cemetery in a misty night. A large beast chases him as he runs frantically, before tripping over gravestone, cracking his skull. The beast pounces on him, and starts taking it's bites. "Damn, didn't get to kill him myself..." the beast's mind speaks to itself as it gorges.

Grey_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Grey_Wolf

@_astrid_: "But how do you decide who lives or dies? Even evil humans have souls." He placed his hands on his hips, his chiseled face was stony. "I go by Victor Valen. But I'm not completely unlike you. I've learned to change my form to one of a human by possessing this man's body. I am a former hellhound. Now, I hunt those who were like me, those who wantonly killed those created in God's image."

_Astrid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greywolf: "Ahh, the religious type? Sorry to tell you but my pack are Atheists." she said with a sly tone, though it came out almost as a bark. "I am doing what I was created to do. I need to feed, and do to a so-called god's intrusion, I am forced to prey only on the civilized, I haven't eaten deer in... I lost count." She says, beginning to trail off before stopping herself. "Well then.. are you going to kill me now? That would be interesting."

Algernon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_astrid_:

It seems to be a part of the twisted shadows on the corpse-gorged roots of the ancient tree, two eyes gleaming like luminescent knotholes. At the smell of fresh blood it slowly slinks out of its hiding place, carefully placing each claw. A carrion-eater, it will not fight for food, but that doesn't mean that Algernon won't make his presence known. He lets out a sharp bark, placing his upper two limbs on a gravestone like a man might rest his upon the back of a chair.

Grey_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_astrid_: "Religious? I am what I am, a spiritual entity. It would be inconsistent for me to be atheist. If you had lived the life I had, you would have a differing perspective as well." The man folded his arms behind his back. "Why do you feel you are forced to prey on the civilized?" Victor tilted his head. "I was forced to kill. I was a reaper, set out by the lords of hell to slaughter the sons of men, consuming them body and soul. I found a different way, a way out. Freedom."