Impurest's Guide to Animals #89 - Egyptian Banded Solifuge

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Edited By ImpurestCheese

Looks like I have managed to slip one last issue in before October, not only that but it’s our last step before the final countdown to Issue 100, something I’ve been aiming to reach for a long time. First we have to get last issues mention, about the vampiric thug, the Hood Mockingbird, out the way before we start this week’s issue about a creature with much (undeserved) fear attached to it. Hope you guys enjoy. ___________________________________________________________________

Issue #89 – Egyptian Banded Solifuge

[1]
[1]

Kingdom – Animalia

Phylum – Arthropoda

Class – Arachnida

Order – Solifugae

Family – Galeodidae

GenusGaleodes

Species - arabs

Related Species – The Egyptian Banded Solifuge is one of the over 1000 species collectively known by names such as Camel Spiders, Sun Spiders and Wind Scorpions (1)

Range

[2]
[2]

Desert Stalker

The Egyptian Banded Solifuge is a medium sized arachnid with a combined body and leg length of around 15cm. Around a third of this length is made up by the large head, which features two large jaws and two large central eyes, which despite their simple appearance, are highly sophisticated being able to recognise different shapes and movement patterns (2). Often considered to have ten legs, the first pair of ‘limbs’ in all Solifuges are actually enlarged pedipalps which are used to detect vibrations and movement. Unlike spiders and scorpions, solifuges don’t have book lungs, instead having well developed tracheas to aid in respiration.

[3]
[3]

Egyptian Banded Solifuges are pursuit predators, feeding on invertebrates, small reptiles and mammals, often running down their prey, often at speeds nearing 10mph. Upon catching their prey the Solifuge will then pin its target to the floor and rip it apart using its fangs. When feeding the Solifuge chews their food, something that spiders and scorpions bypass using the digestive enzymes in their venom. To evade predation Solifuges tend to be nocturnal and retreat to their burrows when in danger.

Male Solifuges massage the larger female’s cephalothorax to avoid his potential mate from viewing him as food. Mating then occurs when the male flips the female onto her back, and then passes a packet of sperm using one of his fangs, before leaving to avoid predation. After mating the female fattens herself up so she has another energy stored to stand vigil over her eggs (3). Young Solifuges go through several moults before becoming sexually mature.

Impurest Cheese: Urban Legend Quasher #1 - Solifuges

Statement: Oh Camel Spiders, I know about them. I heard that they get over a foot wide…

Fact: The largest Solifuge Galeodes arabs reaches a length of fifteen centimetres long, a far cry from the foot long claim circulating the internet (4).

This image of two Solifuges glued together circulated the misbelief that there were foot long Solifuges lurking in the sands of the Middle East [4]
This image of two Solifuges glued together circulated the misbelief that there were foot long Solifuges lurking in the sands of the Middle East [4]

Statement: Okay so they aren’t massive, it still doesn’t mean they aren’t dangerous. I heard they have a deadly neurotoxic venom…

Fact: While they can deliver a painful bite no Solifuge is venomous despite their enlarged fangs.

Statement: So they aren’t venomous, that said I did hear that they run at people screaming at them,

Fact: Solifuges do run towards people but not because they are trying to attack people. The truth is that Solifuges are heliophobic, and are simply trying to reach the shade produced by a shadow. In fact the name Solifuge actually translates from Latin as ‘one who flees from the sun’ further enforcing their light fearing nature.

Statement: You didn’t mention anything about the screaming though…

Fact: Solifuges can make a hissing noise by grinding their fangs together, presumably to mimic the sound of a viper to frighten birds who may predate on them. The sound itself is relatively quiet though, and is far from the banshee like scream stated in urban legend.

Statement: They still run towards people, I heard they can reach 30mph and even cover several feet in a single leap

Fact: While Solifuges are fast moving they only reach speeds of 10mph. As for jumping, Solifuges rarely leap, and when they do they can only cover a few inches per leap

Statement: Okay so what about the whole, ‘disembowels camels and lays eggs in their stomach’ thing?

Fact: Totally false, Solifuges lay their eggs underground or in rock crevices, and not in the stomachs of camels. In addition while able to deliver a painful bite, solifuges are unable to disembowel a camel

References

1. www.arkive.org

2. Beklemishev, Vladimir(1969). Principles of Comparative Anatomy of Invertebrates. Chicago: University of Chicago Press

3. Fred Punzo (1998) The Biology of Camel-Spiders

4. http://www.livescience.com/40025-camel-spiders-facts.html

Picture References

1. http://www.solpugid.com/Galeod_c_subfusc_m[1].jpg

2. http://www.solpugid.com/Galeod25.jpg

3. http://www.scilogs.fr/best-of-bestioles/files/454-iGaleodes-arabs-460x345.jpg

4. https://triplesizepugs.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/camel_spider.jpg

And with a swift click of the mouse and a few keys tapped I banish the myths related to the Solifuges. Next week’s bob-tailed issue brings a glowing reputation with it, but until then remember to critic, comment and discuss future species to cover as well as checking out past issues in Impurest’s Bestiary.

Many Thanks

Impurest Cheese

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Is it known why they are heliophobic?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinnofthestoneage: No one knows, it may simply be because they know they are vunerable to bird predation and dehydrating if they sit out in the open

Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
deactivated-57af58bda2d61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Poor misunderstood spider <3

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luna_joestar: They aren't actually spiders or scorpions despite what some of their names suggest. And yes they are misunderstood. Only recently a man in Manchester killed his dog because a hitch hiking Solifuge bit the pet, and he feared the attack would kille the pampered pooch.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
deactivated-57af58bda2d61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luna_joestar: Yeah the bite itself was harmless, the idiocy wasn't

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Well I never want to see one of those things

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By magnablue

@impurestcheese: it looks like a giant spider. Im o.k with small spiders. But not big ones

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian: Ah okay, it's not actually a spider though...

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

US soldiers in Iraq seemed to have got a lot of entertainment from 'playing' with these guys.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@ostyo: Yeah apparently too much. During the Second World War the British Army used to bet on fights between Solifuges and Scorpions

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm guilty of watching them fight other bugs on YouTube

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, wow. Look what we have here...

Yomiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't want to wake up in my tent by the oasis with one of those on my body.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ImpurestCheese
ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@ostyo: Yeah it's a big thing in the Middle-East and Japan

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I find them both beautiful and repulsive, which makes them awesome. I can't say I wouldn't scream like a ghoul should one ever run towards my cast shadow, though.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: Ah well 'oh goulish' one, we have many creatures worse then them coming up in October, just not next week though, that creature is adorable

Yomiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Yomiko

@impurestcheese: That's a relief. They look terrifying. One more reason to stay away from the Middle East.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@yomiko: Do I dare mention that Solifuges are found on all continents save Antarctica and Australia

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

@quinnofthestoneage: No one knows, it may simply be because they know they are vunerable to bird predation and dehydrating if they sit out in the open

Having lived in a desert, when the sun hits your skin, you actually feel your skin burning- you learn to wear long sleeves, and find that the air under your clothes is actually cooler. Humans dehydrate in desert heat pretty easily. I imagine something as small as that would just straight up fry without shade.

In Las Vegas, there is a tailless scorpion known as a vinagaroon that looks very similar to this. It will run at you and bite, and reportedly cause you to taste vinegar for the next three days (hence the name). I have heard people both deride and defend that claim.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ficopedia: Ah yes one of the tailless whip scorpion that sprays acetic acid, you are quite correct.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

camel spiders definitely >>>>>>>>> most other arachnids in terms of scariness

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@masterkungfu: Not really, a lot of tall tales have been spun about sun spiders

Sundown89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

Bump for @ficopedia:

Ah! I forgot about this. :)

I didn't catch this before, but Imp's range is only showing Africa and parts of Asia. The picture I posted in .Oddity Ark #15 (#195) Giant Vinegaroon. was one I took in Las Vegas, NV. The one at the top looks the same as my pic, but is it the same? Is the EBS's range more than what's shown here?

Sundown89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ficopedia: Same family, different genus. Solifuges are found on every continent besides Australia and of course Antarctica. Additionally a little research uncovered the fact that in Arizona and Nevada a lot of people call solifuges, vinagaroons. It’s likely something akin to the pale windscorpion (Eremobates pallipes) which ranges from Arizona up into southern Canada.