Impurest's Guide to Animals #101 - Christmas Tree and Green Bomber Worms

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Edited By ImpurestCheese

Well here we go again, a new year and a new issue for 2016. To kick things off we are staying in the festive mood that Issue 100, the Caracal, left us in at the end of 2015. So let’s start this season with some festive foliage…or something masquerading as festive foliage. Hope you guys enjoy.

Issue #101 – Christmas Tree Worm

[1]
[1]

Kingdom – Animalia

Phylum – Annelida

Class – Polychatea

Order – Canalipalpata

Family – Serpulidae

Genus – Spirobranchus

Species – giganteus

Related Species – The Christmas Tree Worm is one of the two species in the genus Spirobranchus, the other being Spirobranchus latiscapus (1)

Range – Christmas Tree Worms are found in coral reefs across all tropical seas

Festive Foliage

Christmas Tree Worms are small members of the tube worm family found in shallow tropical seas, often nestled among corral, particularly brain corals (Family: Mussidae), with only the brightly coloured radioles exposed to the elements. Each worm has two of these spiral structures connected to its segmented tubular body, and it is their similarity to terrestrial pine trees that gives the animal its name. If threatened the worm can retract these structures into its body, and cover the opening with a modified tentacle known as an operculum (2).

[2]
[2]

When it is safe to feed, the Christmas Tree Worm extends its radiole into the current, where the spiral like structure of these appendages sieve plankton from the water. In addition to feeding, the worm also uses the radiole for respiration, leading to the organs sometimes being incorrectly referred to as the animal’s gills. Being sedentary, the Christmas Tree Worm reproduces by releasing swarms of eggs and sperm into the water which are carried to new areas by the current.

Ah those accursed worms trying to ruin Christmas, well at least the New Year’s Eve fireworks is safe from them…oh no

Issue #101a – Green Bomber Worm

[3]
[3]

Kingdom – Animalia

Phylum – Annelida

Class – Polychatea

Order – Canalipalpata

Family – Acrocirridae

Genus – Swima

Species – bombviridis

Related Species – The Green Bomber Worm is one of the three species in the genus Swima (1)

Range – Green Bomber Worms are currently only known from the abyssal waters of Monterey Bay, California

The Green Bomber

A free swimming polechyte worm, the Green Bomber grows to a length of 12cm and is found in deep ocean trenches, such as the ones in Monterey Bay. Like a large number of deep sea animals, the Green Bomber Worm is transparent due to the animal no longer needing protection from the sun’s ultra-violet rays. As the genus name Swima suggests, the worm is highly mobile, using an array of flank mounted bristles to move through the dark depths of its ocean home.

A Green Bomber Worm releasing a pair of bioluminecant 'decoy bombs' [4]
A Green Bomber Worm releasing a pair of bioluminecant 'decoy bombs' [4]

The most distinguishing feature of these worms however, are the eight (four on each side) modified gill sacks attached just behind the animals head. On occasion the worm will release a pair of these sacks, which flash green seconds after separation. Initially thought to be used to attract a mate, the theory was debunked after juvenile worms were found to also be able to release the same glowing orbs (3). As such it is now suggested that the lighting is a defensive lure designed to draw predators away from the worm, allowing the Green Bomber to make its escape.

Bibliography

1 -www.arkive.org

2 - Vinn, Olev (Sep 2011). "Microstructure and formation of the calcareous operculum in Pyrgopolon ctenactis and Spirobranchus giganteus (Annelida, Serpulidae)".Zoomorphology130 (3): 181–188

3 -Moskowitz C (2009). "Sea creature releases glowing decoy 'bombs'". LiveScience.

Picture References

1 - http://scienceblogs.com/lifelines/files/2012/12/yellow-christmas-tree-worm.jpg

2 - http://public.media.smithsonianmag.com/legacy_blog/Christmas_tree_worms-600.jpg

3 - https://i.ytimg.com/vi/q4nLstCR0AI/hqdefault.jpg

4 - http://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/090820-science-bomberdetail-11a.grid-6x2.jpg

Well what a way to start 2016! Next week we meet a spider which has quite a tail to tell. Until then critic, comment and suggest future issues as well as making sure you check past issues in Impurest’s Bestiary.

Many Thanks and a Happy New Year

Impurest Cheese

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#2  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

You really do love worms.

They creep me out!!!

~MiB

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@MadeinBangladesh: Yeah I do love them, although not as much as @yomiko: . Despite the love there are a few that really are too disgusting to love.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I would have named it the Green Booger Worm.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You da bomb (I'm drunk sorry)

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Very nice, they look like something straight out of Doctor Seuss

You really do love worms.

They creep me out!!!

~MiB

Shaddup, worms are da bomb

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spareheadone: Booger, Bomber like there is that much difference. Thanks for the comment though.

@cgoodness: Ich Binn Bomba?

@captainmarvel4ever: Not sure about Seuss never read it, wasn't really a thing over here, thanks for the comment though

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty worms <3

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinnofthestoneage: The Christmas Tree Worm is indeed very pretty, not so sure about the 'bomber' though

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese said:

@quinnofthestoneage: The Christmas Tree Worm is indeed very pretty, not so sure about the 'bomber' though

But they have glowing orbs, that's pretty <3

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yomiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yomiko

@impurestcheese:My love for worms has it's limits. I wouldn't give my life to save a worm.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

@impurestcheese: Christmas Tree Worms and a worm that makes its own fireworks- good starts for the year. :)

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Worms... eww. As always, nice issue though.

Yomiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yomiko: Fair enough

I do like to knit them sweaters to keep them warm over winter. They also like to have poetry read to them.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ficopedia: Thanks, I'm always looking to start the New Year with some flash and spectacle

@dboyrules2011: Thanks,at least these aren't giant worms...

@yomiko: They jnto those Good Vibrations? I know for a fact that Darwin used to play music to his worms as well.

Yomiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Earthworms are very sensitive creatures. They can sense hostility or benevolence.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Amazing. Seriously.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers