A Month Of Horror: Week One Wrap Up Review

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

So as promised here is the first wrap up reviews for the first week of a Month of Horror. The list for the month is here: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic-5/a-month-of-horror-31-day-horror-movie-marathon-1500885/#12

Enjoy :)

1st : The Town That Dreaded Sundown

No Caption Provided

This slasher film had that pre Halloween feel to it. Similar to Black Christmas. The film is somewhat based around an actual slew of murders that happened in 1946 in a town called Texarkana. But despite what the poster says it is not only the names that were changed. Guess they go that idea from Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The film was decent overall, the atmosphere wasn't particularly suspenseful, maybe in part due to the music score and the scenes that were played for comedy which felt a little out of place to be honest. The kills were not particularly thrilling either. There was a unique kill involving a trombone.

It was cool to see a slasher film set in the 1940s and to see how the townspeople reacted to the incident. Scenes like that which have some truth in them as to how people reacted was something that helped to show that the events in the film were somewhat based on what actually happened. The killer, The Phantom as he is nicknamed as you may have noticed does bear a striking resemblance to Jason Voorhees from part two. There are also shots of his legs which are similar to the series too. So it is interesting seeing a pre Jason almost. He even has a pickaxe in one part as well.

It was also nice that they ended the film without actually revealing the killer, since the actual murder case was never solved which again further helped convince people it was real.

When I did search for this movie a while and I read up about the actual murders that did take place it helped prompt interest in watching this film. And it does a good job of tricking people into thinking the movie is entirely based on true events. Its worth a watch. I especially recommend it to slasher film fans and those who are fans of the pre Halloween era ones too.

2nd: Phantasm 2

No Caption Provided

I watched the first Phantasm film a while ago. And never got round to watching the sequels. I am glad I managed to fit the second sequel in here.

I did enjoy this one more than the first. It felt more to the point so to speak and it wasn't quite as drawn out. Not to say the first one isn't good. I just felt this one was more solid and faster paced overall. It managed to keep you guessing all the way through since you aren't always quite sure what is real and what might be an illusion or just the Tall Man disguised as someone else. Speaking of the Tall Man he has to be one of the more underrated horror villains in horror movie history. He barley says any words and does very little on screen yet his presence is always felt throughout the film. You just get the feeling that he is working behind the main characters awareness as he carries orchestrating his bizarre and terrible deeds. Whatever they maybe. Some of his true form in this one is revealed and he still bleeds chicken korma sauce too. He seems to be some sort of alien. Which is a breath of fresh air if that is the case as opposed to him being another demon or ghost.

Not much is really explained here, we aren't really given explanations for what is going on much. And I could see this getting on people’s nerves. Personally it sort of did initially but I appreciate the fact they are going for a more ominous approach here. The film is quite whacky and strange, and that is fine with me. But it might take some adjusting to get into it. But I do recommend every horror fan to give this a go. I did and I certainly don’t regret it ,not in the slightest. Those orbs are bloody great too :)

3rd: Phantasm 3

No Caption Provided

Was originally supposed to be watching Pet Semetary here. But I thought why not change it to the third film. :)

I am glad I did too. It was a pretty solid third film overall. The cast was likable along with the new additions. More strange stuff went on and as they seemed to explain a bit they just come and throw new stuff at you. Which fits in the style I guess.

This films wasn't quite as good as the second one a good portion of it felt a bit of the same but it is well worth a watch to just find out more of the story and whatnot. Plus the ending keep you wanting to watch the next one too :D

4th: Motel Hell

No Caption Provided

I just picked this one rather spontaneously. I had seen a review for the pig head mask worn by one of the killers and they mentioned the movie. And I just thought might as well give it a go.

And really this is one of those kinds of horror films, the cheesy time waster type. But as far as those films go this one is not too bad. The acting for the most part is sub par, its not two bad, not great. But not Syfy movie bad by any means. The two killers are easily the standout roles in this film. It wasn't particularly gory or funny. And it fell a bit flat.

I was disappointed to find out that one of the killers only wore the pig head mask in a scene briefly and then at the end. Wish they would have worn throughout the film more, because it is quite a strange and eerie sight. And was one of the highlights of the film. Their was a chainsaw fight at the end of the film and this was easily the best part. And it was decently done considering the context of the film.

There isn't really much I can say about this film. It is a cheesy, cheap horror comedy flick. If you have 100 minutes to kick then give it a go, there is worse films you can watch albeit better ones too. This is one too watch spontaneously but its not worth going out of your way to see. It is a solid time waster.

5th: Curse of Chucky

No Caption Provided

So this is the latest sequel in the Child’s Play/ Chucky franchise. And I think this along with Texas Chainsaw 3D is further proof that either the older horror icons of the slasher genre are all said and done or people just really cannot be bothered to put effort into their films anymore, but just simply want to make a quick quid from sales. I would really just rather see the older slasher franchises stay as they are no remakes or no abysmal sequels. There is just no effort put into this film at all. I know that is not going to happen though, since these are icons of horror, they still are expected to sell well and are clearly just used as a brand on the tin, since what you get inside just leaves a bad taste in your mouth. And to think I actually thought to myself that this film should have been released in cinema as opposed to direct DVD/ Blu Ray.

I thought to myself “Yeah give one of the older characters a break again, lets have another great slasher film, and let it have its break”. Even though my expectations for the film were low. I was still let down.

The entire thing was boring, it was generic and it took itself way to seriously. And that was one of the biggest issues here whilst the last just were too silly, this one just came off as too melodramatic. There was no tense atmosphere, no laughs. The kill scenes were piss poor. I mean Chucky is not scary anymore, he never really was but here they just make him that way and it all is just out of place. The whole “plot” and “twist” was hastily and thoughtlessly strung together. Chucky’s new face got on my nerves, and seeing him as CGI was just painful

This film was not quite as terrible as Texas Chainsaw 3D but that is hardly something to be proud of. Maybe Chucky fans might enjoy it, and sure Id say give it a watch just to see how crap it is. I have a terrible sinking feeling this is not the last of these . Either another sequel or a remake will likely come next. Oh joy.. :/

6th: Diary of The Dead

No Caption Provided

So this is the fifth installment in the Dead series. But it seems like it is its own film and doesn't really follow on from the earlier films. Since the outbreak starts again in this film. That and its in the found footage/shaky cam part of the genre. I like zombies but am not a fan of the shaky cam films.

It does get more varied up in this film, with more than one person having a camera, and security cameras and whatnot. But it still falls flat.

The film is just generic. There is no social commentary/ satire. Just people with cameras. Which is boring. We never get to see enough of the zombies, the gore is nearly non existent. And of course we have no interesting camera shots just people filming. Yawn :p

It is better than Paranormal Activity. But is just a weak film overall. Only would recommend watching it to complete the Dead series. But even then I am not sure if I would count as part of it. Watch at your own risk :)

7th: Dracula 1958

No Caption Provided

I have been planning to watch a few of the old Hammer films for awhile. And I thought one of the best ways to do that was to start off with their Dracula film. And what a film.

This was called A Horror of Dracula in the US, to prevent confusion/copyright issues with the 1931 film of the same name.

It is hard to believe this film came out in 1958, two years before Psycho. There is a good amount of gore in here. Not a lot, but enough to get by. And the stake in the heart scenes manage to come as disturbing. You can tell they just got away with it back then.

The film has an eerie feeling at times. And the sets are really convincing too. They do a nice job of setting the times.

Peter Cushing plays Van Helsing, and he just manages to carry this film above and beyond. He does a brilliant job here. And is my favourite portrayal of the character. Most of the time you are watching him and he just manages to make that captivating and interesting. Then we of course have Dracula played by Christopher Lee and he is not in the film a lot. But the fact we don’t see much of him is an advantage since it keeps the mystery and animosity of the character. His presence is felt throughout the film. Again his performance is stellar. Both of these performances elevate this particular Dracula film above other versions. The rest of cast even the minor parts are all also spot on.

Dracula’s death scene is easily one of the best and most iconic things. Seeing him get destroyed by sunlight, the effects are wonderfully done, again considering the times as well. This scene was cut by censors but that doesn't detract from it.

Overall I couldn't have ended the first week of horror any better. This film is an automatic must watch for any horror fan, any Dracula fan. Or for anyone who just likes good films.

So that concludes the first wrap up. And it has been an interesting ride so far. Thank you for reading through all this :) As always comments are much appreciated.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#2 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@mrdecepticonleader Nice write up, man, great first week! :) I'll bet it was a lot of fun watching these. There are some here I haven't seen, gonna have to see if I can check them out at some point (except Chucky, that terrifying little b****rd can GTFO O_O)

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

@mrdecepticonleader Nice write up, man, great first week! :) I'll bet it was a lot of fun watching these. There are some here I haven't seen, gonna have to see if I can check them out at some point (except Chucky, that terrifying little b****rd can GTFO O_O)

Thanks :) It was an experience. A good one though, even watching the films I didn't enjoy much, at least I can form an opinion of them though. Ha ha he never scared me, but I guess he manages to creep others out

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@mrdecepticonleader: Yeah, I get that :) you can learn as much from a bad film as a good one hehe! I am not usually too bad with horror films - love them, as you know - but I was really really young when I saw Chucky and just not mentally prepared for it at all XD Was the first one I ever saw.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

@mrdecepticonleader: Yeah, I get that :) you can learn as much from a bad film as a good one hehe! I am not usually too bad with horror films - love them, as you know - but I was really really young when I saw Chucky and just not mentally prepared for it at all XD Was the first one I ever saw.

True. Sometime especially when you watch a film that is generally well liked or is not well liked and you form a different opinion to the majority.

It was one of the first films I watched too when I was young. It was one of the only horror films where I didn't close my eyes or turn away as frequently ha ha.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@mrdecepticonleader: Yeah, exactly. Best to just watch a film and make up your own mind.

Hehe, turn away? I don't think I blinked!! :O

Also on a random side note, that first movie poster is really eye catching, it'd look good on a wall :)

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

@mrdecepticonleader: Yeah, exactly. Best to just watch a film and make up your own mind.

Hehe, turn away? I don't think I blinked!! :O

Also on a random side note, that first movie poster is really eye catching, it'd look good on a wall :)

Ha ha

It is. It kinda reminds me of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre one, I think because of the whole "true story" thing.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Phantasm 1 was Really Good... the Music was Epic.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the Best Quotes of The Tall Man...

Loading Video...

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phantasm 1 was Really Good... the Music was Epic.

It was good but I preferred the sequel.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phantasm is on my list of things to watch

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

Phantasm is on my list of things to watch

Ok...

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though never a big fan of the Child's Play series, I always found some nostalgia in the films. The angles with which they were shot, the ever so convenient thunder and lightning and the extra-sharp-cheddar-cheese dialogue from Chucky always put a smirk on my face. The later installments of the series (Bride Of and Seed Of, etc) were absolutely hilarious.

Phantasm...more like fan-gasm. I love those movies. The Tall Man is one of the best, and most underrated, psychopaths to be put on screen.

Great wrap-up!

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerdork said:

Though never a big fan of the Child's Play series, I always found some nostalgia in the films. The angles with which they were shot, the ever so convenient thunder and lightning and the extra-sharp-cheddar-cheese dialogue from Chucky always put a smirk on my face. The later installments of the series (Bride Of and Seed Of, etc) were absolutely hilarious.

Phantasm...more like fan-gasm. I love those movies. The Tall Man is one of the best, and most underrated, psychopaths to be put on screen.

Great wrap-up!

Ha yeah they aren't meant to be taken too seriously but the earlier ones had a nice blend of horror and comedy, I felt that Bride and Seed just went off the deep end, and didn't balance the serious with the comedy. But my issue with the latest one is that it takes itself way too seriously. I guess at least with Bride and Seed you can get some cheap laughs out of how absurd it is but with Curse? You can't even get that out of it

Ha ha! Agreed.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bump

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I remember watching Town that Dreaded Sundown after it was referenced in Scream, I don't remember much so maybe I should watch it again.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember watching Town that Dreaded Sundown after it was referenced in Scream, I don't remember much so maybe I should watch it again.

Cool. I guess you could :)

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Chaos Prime

Hammer Studios sure did know how to do a Vampire flick.Dont think ive seen a Hammer House of Horror film i didnt enjoy :)

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hammer Studios sure did know how to do a Vampire flick.Dont think ive seen a Hammer House of Horror film i didnt enjoy :)

I see. Cool I have not see them all.