• 74 results
BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlackWind

Sometimes, even if an accomplishment is accepted as legitimate, sometimes due to lack of knowledge on how it is done in the first place or even how the artist has drawn it, some feats are plain not as good as they seem.

A prime example: Dodging gunfire.

Bullet timing is not as simple as it sounds. Things such as what kind of gun the bullets are being fired from, modern, fururistic, primitive? Also if said character reacts after the bullet was fired. We all know that anyone can aimdodge judging from where the shooter is pointing. And hell, sometimes characters even jump through fire, just because the shooters are crappy shots!

What feats can you think of that aren't as great as they are commonly made out to be?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Beating up a group of no-name thugs (aka canon fodder).

But,when it comes to bullet timing,I think that it actually depends.

I mean,if they react after the bullet was fired at point blank range,then it is really impressive imo.

Or if they easily move through a hail of bullets from automated weapons. And if they have other feats that are consistent that prove that this was no dismissive feat.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By FukYouRenchamp

Everything Karate Kid does.

Just about everything Batman does.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well this isn't really an overestimation of feat, but many users confuse between durability and strength feats.

Superman splitting Saturn's moon is half is NOT a strength feat. Its his durabilty feat.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

Mistaking flight speed as a better flyer is big error. You could move fast good for you but you have to be careful if you not invulnerable and even than you have to have reflexes to move from the obstacles. If there is a delicate matter slow speed is needed.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even though it isn't exactly a feat in itself, a character, "Being trained by X" means little. I don't care if it was Lady Shiva, Batman, or Hayato Furinji. A master teaching you doesn't mean you are even a fraction as good as they are.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BlackWind

Bump.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everything Karate Kid does.

Just about everything Batman does.

I don't understand..

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most important thing to consider with bullet-timing feats is this:

Is the character in question consciously dodging the bullets...or is he/she simply using a combination of speed/luck to avoid getting shot?

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

This should he entitled "The lowball thread"

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BlackWind

@sog7dc: Possibly but some feats are thought of as better than they really are simply because one analyzing them may not know what they're talking about.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Beating up groups of Ninja, or SWAT.

These characters range from very competent, to no better than exotic cannon fodder, or comic relief.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Extreme over preparation could show insecurity and a person not relying on one self makes it have difficulty for others to rely on. How can you trust someone who wears a belt and suspenders?

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've spent 20 years analyzing comic book feats and everyone has an opinion that they think is right. I just so happen to know that mine is always right :)

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By slimj87d

This just so happens to be one of the weirdest feats I've ever seen... I blame the artist and writer both including all of marvel.

No Caption Provided

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@slimj87d: When did Hawkeye become superhuman?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Fallschirmjager
Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Veshark

@slimj87d said:

This just so happens to be one of the weirdest feats I've ever seen... I blame the artist and writer both including all of marvel.

No Caption Provided

All together now:

"BENDIIIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!"

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kyrees

normal human beings surviving explosions at close range. i always wondered how a trained human body can withstand explosions that would destroy a car or so.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

normal human beings surviving explosions at close range. i always wondered how a trained human body can withstand explosions that would destroy a car or so.

I remember in Batman Cacophony, where Kevin Smith wrote that Batman had a 'bladder spasm' (basically wet himself), when he set off some explosions in Year One.

Basically Smith had a fireman friend who said that it often happens as a biological reflex. Many fire-fighters who go into the heat and experience explosions often lose bladder control.

Interesting food for thought.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@kyrees said:

I remember in Batman Cacophony, where Kevin Smith wrote that Batman had a 'bladder spasm' (basically wet himself), when he set off some explosions in Year One.

Basically Smith had a fireman friend who said that it often happens as a biological reflex. Many fire-fighters who go into the heat and experience explosions often lose bladder control.

Interesting food for thought.

*imagines batman wetting himself

nice image i say

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: When did Hawkeye become superhuman?

He's definitely not... this was in the Avengers title, a bunch of terrible things happened throughout that series.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interesting.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BlackWind

Characters who show speed by leaving after images or just swiftly zipping around. One of the cheapest tropes used to demonstrate speed.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just because character can do it, it does not mean he/she/ xhe/it would do it. Ego, Pride, code of honor, fear or following procedure can restrict a character.

We often think cynical is smarter or tougher. They are only half way in the tunnel. They face their faced their dark moment but they have not conquered it yet.

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Beating up groups of Ninja, or SWAT.

These characters range from very competent, to no better than exotic cannon fodder, or comic relief.

this

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please make sure that there are no mistranslated errors. If there changes in dubbing this could affect what the results actually are. Editors please stop exaggerating. Speaking of exaggerating make the character who are analyzing are able to analyze correctly. Yes this part is boring, but it is better to know what the character is able to do.

Ironshinobi88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest pet peeve is going to be Superman's feats. I can't really take anything he's done in 50's and 60's as legit as it's just for shock and awe and not even reasonable.

It's just my opinion but I don't think Superman can beat Goku at all. Goku has variable levels of strength and Superman is not strong enough to faze goku, let alone beat him in h2h.

Batman's prep abilities. They aren't that great.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ironshinobi88: I'd prefer you keep Goku vs Superman out of this thread please.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest problem is that so many "feats" are often either bad writing or poor research.

Ironshinobi88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ironshinobi88

@mitran & @blackwind: Well the title is Feat oversetimation and I think Superman feats when compared to Goku is a faaaaarr reaching overestimation, just my opinion though.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feats in narration include a lot of exaggeration. Also feats narrated by other characters with no on panel evidence.

And just because a character has an ability doesn't mean they use it all the time.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran:

As you have correctly pointed out yes there has been time that measure incorrectly by looking at the predecessor or older carnation. However what you did there death battle point out which many still continue this long dragged out debate

Now what we can figure is the obsess idolization to character that we will never believe can ever fall. This leads one of the biggest overestimation either by hype from the fans or misinformation. Yes, that can also mean that jerk that was in the other side of the debate was right.

I like to also point that there many kinds of powers that no one puts in mind. Powers that you may considered cheep. As example how if you feel that Goku was defeated by Infectious Lass?

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman sneezing a solar system out of existence

Superman tugging the universe

SUperman holding a black hole

EVERYTHINGTHEFLASHHASEVERDONEEVER

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cooldes:

See that is the outbreak that ussaully happens. Calm down please so we can start analyze correctly. You do not need to be so defensive. I may have say this not only to DBZ fanboys and now possibly Flash fan boys.

I have theorize why DBZ fanboys think so highly of Goku. This possibly said to any character. They lively flare of the destruction would make think that high of the character. This is the negative of being practical it is boring or you think that high of the character because he does the simple approach that takes less effort.

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hazlenaut

I think another overestimation is due to self insertion and game balance. Remember what I said can do and would do are two different things. The way you use a character does mean the character will do. Balancing a character in games such as fighting game to make it fun may cause errors to the character to make it fact. The avatar characters facts should undergo more to consideration especially if that character is different other forms of media.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

InB4 "Supes Benching Earth."

Actual answers though: Goku can blow up solar systems because Cell claimed to be capable of doing so and hey, Goku is stronger than him. (Look at all the nonsense in that line of thought)

Batman in the Dark Knight Returns. Even calling that a victory is a bit of a stretch, but most people ignore the fact that Green Arrow is the one who made the biggest difference in that fight.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By danhimself

@slimj87d said:

No Caption Provided

I think I made a thread about this a while back...I think that Bendis was hinting at something going on with Clint....there was also that time during Dark Reign when someone set off a power inhibitor and it made everyone on the Avengers with powers drop and Clint went down as well

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

No Caption Provided

I think I made a thread about this a while back...I think that Bendis was hinting at something going on with Clint....there was also that time during Dark Reign when someone set off a power inhibitor and it made everyone on the Avengers with powers drop and Clint went down as well

He's listed as human everywhere. At one point he had Pym Particles, maybe those were still present in his bloodstream or something and that caused it.

Either way, Bendis is terrible at writing. He just wanted to give Mockingbird spotlight but couldn't figure out to let it make sense.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

@danhimself said:

@slimj87d said:

No Caption Provided

He's listed as human everywhere. At one point he had Pym Particles, maybe those were still present in his bloodstream or something and that caused it.

Either way, Bendis is terrible at writing. He just wanted to give Mockingbird spotlight but couldn't figure out to let it make sense.

what I'm saying is that maybe it's something that he never got around to finishing like a dangling plot point....it could have been the Pym particles or it could have been a side effect from the Scarlet Witch bringing him back

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@veshark said:

@slimj87d said:

No Caption Provided

All together now:

"BENDIIIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!"

(shakes fist begrudgingly in Bendis' general direction)

One particular set of feats that are usually overestimated bricks tagging speedsters. Or ordinary humans tagging speedsters meaning that they aren't that fast. I can't believe people actually think that it isn't the plot or writer involvement that sometimes denotes poor showings for characters.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Wolverine008

@lvenger said:

@veshark said:

@slimj87d said:

No Caption Provided

All together now:

"BENDIIIIIISSSSSSSS!!!!"

(shakes fist begrudgingly in Bendis' general direction)

One particular set of feats that are usually overestimated bricks tagging speedsters. Or ordinary humans tagging speedsters meaning that they aren't that fast. I can't believe people actually think that it isn't the plot or writer involvement that sometimes denotes poor showings for characters.

You can see that trope pop up when dealing with street levelers that have tagged speedsters before.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think knowing every martial art or fighting style in the world is a somewhat overestimated feat among street levelers. I can name several street levelers who have that generic title put on them and don't have the feats or showings of technical skill that would put them in the same league as a Batman or Wolverine type fighter.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@wolverine08: It does seem weird when Deathstroke can keep up with Wonder Woman and Frank Castle actually keeping out of the Sentry's hair somehow. There's reasonable conjecture as to what street levellers can do and then there's those kinds of feats.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Wolverine008

Not sure if this is a "feat" per say, but whatever.

No Caption Provided

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: Well even if there is an explanation for it later, as of right now it's not justifiable.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

It's just plot really. Writers let street levelers pull off those type of things in special situation just for the sake of the story, and we really shouldn't take them that seriously.