Favorite Movies VOTING: The Avengers vs. Captain America: The Winter Soldier

• 90 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Favorite Movies VOTING: The Avengers vs. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (279 votes)

The Avengers 25%
Captain America: The Winter Soldier 56%
I can't choose... I love both of them! 17%
Sorry, I'm not a big fan of either movie 1%
It brings me great shame to admit I haven't watched these movies and won't be able to before Friday 1%

*Want to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

While discussing Marvel Studios' movies, two are commonly named the top ones: the big team-up movie, The Avengers, and the latest effort,Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It's more than safe to say a majority of us adore these two movies and for completely different reasons, as well. Director Joss Whedon's movie was all about spectacle and comedy. The dynamic and banter between teammates was put from and center and there was plenty of fan service as these popular characters fought against each other and eventually joined forces for a thrilling conclusion. Meanwhile, the Russo brothers' sequel to Captain America: The First Avenger presented one of the most serious and focused chapters that we've yet to see in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Sure, jokes were sprinkled in at just the right moments, but overall, the story set out to change the world these character live in and give a strong insight into a few characters. And, just like The Avengers, it certainly had its share of big action scenes, too.

Both are mandatory viewing for any Marvel fan, but we want to know which one you prefer and why. And even if you think you can't choose, we have a "love both" option. We'd prefer if you take the time to really compare and contrast the movies' strengths and weaknesses, but if you really can't choose, then the option is there for you!

There's no need to make up your mind just yet, voters. The poll will stay open until Friday morning (ET), so that gives you more than enough time to reflect on these two awesome Marvel Studios movies.

After you cast you vote, don't forget to leap into the comments and share your thoughts with us. Why did you vote a certain way? Is it because of the story? How a character was handled? Perhaps you loved an action scene? We want to hear from you! Make the post entertaining enough and there's a chance we'll highlight it in Friday's article. That said, if you do want your post to be considered, please try to be concise and share your thoughts in a few paragraphs at most. So, will this be a close poll or will one project smash the other? Think about it and then vote!

Avengers poster by Tyler Stout; Cap 2 poster by Rich Kelly

Check the homepage this Friday to see how the voting ends up and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or tell us via Twitter.

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Winter Soldier.

And look, a picture I added got used.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It was incredible tough to vote between the two, but MARVEL's The Avengers for me. They're both really great movies; CA: TWS was more of a political thriller/spy-esque film; The Avengers was more of a straight-up action packed comic book film that actually felt like a comic. The Avengers dared to do what no comic book ever dared to do before - it set up years of build-up behind it, and then they included all of our favourite characters (Thor, Hulk, Captain America, Black Widow, Iron Man, and Hawkeye) onto the big screen. All characters (save for Hawkeye) were done justice.

The performances were all great - they brought the characters to live, the action was fantastic and the dialogue was well written. The interaction between characters was great - and they further helped develop the story. The finale in which we followed all the heroes in battle was brilliantly constructed, and each battle added to the story.

The soundtrack was brilliant - the Avengers theme, I still consider the MARVEL anthem - when an OST played, it really helped add to the scene drastically. Joss Whedon's a confident director, well adapted this characters and choosing just well what he'd include in the script. No character outshined the others (okay... maybe Hulk did).

Great soundtrack, great script, great direction and great characterization.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

I love them both equally.

mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the Avengers movie had some undeniably awesome movie moments, i mean, who doesnt love the scene where Hulk lays the smackdown on Loki?! But Winter Soldier had great action and a good story and a good shocking twist for those unfamiliar with comicbook lore regarding winter soldier.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Cap 2 could as easily be named Secret Avengers.
While Avengers will be a historical film for comic book fans, I think Cap 2 was the superior movie. Cap 2 didn't have even one weak scene, it was made in a way that it kept you to the edge of your seat. The balance between the characters was great and the chemistry between Black Widow and Captain America was the best I have seen between two Super-heroes in the big screen. Also all the actors were more familiar to their roles.
The plot of Cap 2 was incredible and the reveal in the middle of the movie was completely unexpected as opposed to the very formulaic plot of The Avengers. The Avengers had some plot holes and at least one third of the movie was very meh compared to the other.

Now I love both but Cap 2 is the greatest MARVEL movie.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers, but Cap 2 aint far behind. Just overall Avengers was a bigger deal to me and enjoyed it more seeing all these heroes come together so it's gonna be tough to beat it as my favorite CBM.

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

I can probably make a better pick after WS comes out on DVD and I can rewatch it again, but I voted for "I can't choose.. I love both of them."

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winter Soldier was fantastic. But in terms of the best Superhero movie, The Avengers hit all the marks for me.

harashkupo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By harashkupo

I haven't commented on anything so I thought this would be a nice place to start. I voted Winter Soldier.

Avengers was a great movie that not only brought the MCU together perfectly, it also felt like a comic book brought to life. It always annoyed me when I watched comic book movies where the characters felt watered down. Of course effects have evolved a long way and I understand that plays a huge part, but I got tired of seeing a hero perform one or two feats and then appear as a regular person for the majority of a movie. Avengers not only showed each character off but Whedon used the whole city and made me believe they were a powerful team. The moments where Ironman transitions from flying around to battling with Cap and showing off the repulsor/shield combo or Hulk and Thor teaming up on the big alien creature. These scenes felt like super humans instead dudes that just so happened to have extra powers.

Sadly there were parts of the movie where it felt like a CW or WB tv show. I felt like the acting and effects elevated the movie. Winter Soldier might have not been the most profound or ground breaking cinema experience but for me it felt like a well rounded movie. The story was a great adaptation that completely fit in with what's currently going on in the world and never felt heavy handed nor did it dip into campiness. The dialogue was fun and delivered well. Plus I absolutely loved Stan's WS. Both him and Evans owned those roles. Actually everyone killed it with their characters.

Honestly Avengers and Winter Soldier are pretty even but the script and acting really push WS to the top.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm not a big fan of either, but I voted CA: TWS.

vandinejd_1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Although I absolutely love both movies I love Captain America: The Winter Soldier more. It had a better story with the whole HYDRA having infiltrated SHIELD from its founding. The characters both old and new were absolutely at the top of their game, and the dynamic between Captain America and the Winter Soldier was absolutely amazing. Lastly, the action was some of the best I've seen in a long time. Although Avengers: Age of Ultron, Captain America 3, and Avengers 3 might surpass it as of now Captain America: The Winter Soldier is my favorite movies of all time.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap 2; I felt like The Avengers was directed for a 8+ audience and the posing killed me..

Lmfao you're reaching.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I love both, but Avengers takes it. Its my favorite Marvel movie simply because it was the first successful superhero movie crossover. I still remember the huge line outside the movie theater, people couldn't wait to see the Avengers.The joy I felt when they all came together at the end, Ironman fought with Cap, then Hulk fought with Thor, then Cap fought with Thor. Everyone got a chance to shine and you don't feel like anyone was left out of the action. Avengers ftw.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#16  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Cap. Avengers has little "rewatch-ability" for me. Everything about it is fun the first couple times, but there's little reason to go back 4, 5, 6, etc times over. I'm sure someone will get butthurt but I frankly think its a fairly shallow movie (especially given the Coulson retcon...)

Cap I've seen 4 times in theaters and I enjoyed it each time and am looking forward to seeing it again more when it comes out on video.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I voted Winter Soldier. It just has a better story and the tone was more to my liking. Avengers was great and lots of fun. But Winter Soldier was the movie I'd been waiting for Marvel to make.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

WInter Soldier for me.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cap 2. I feel like the Avengers has become greatly overrated. Still a good film but not as good as everyone says.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winter Soldier. But by a small margin.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By tparks  Online

Black Widow: The Winter Soldier for me.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Captain America did the impossible, it made Batroc the Leaper, Falcon, and Arnim Zola cool......

nigravirum1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

C'mon people really? No love for the avengers? I mean I loved cap! It's rated my #3 movie of all time! But avengers (my #2 movie of all time) beats it still! Cap was amazing but not on the same level as avengers!

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By SoA

i guess bucky fans take this . :'(

Jonny_Rogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jonny_Rogers

Whilst I really can't stand pretty much anything about The Avengers, I must admit that I was very impressed by The Winter Soldier - and, honestly, is really the only film put out by the studio that I would say I've enjoyed.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheBlackHood

Captain America, far and away for me. Winter Soldier had an actual in depth plot with twists and turns. On the other hand, the Avengers had almost no plot and a villain that could have been traded out for any other from Avengers history.

Loki: "I'm the trickster god."

The Avengers: "So what is your grand scheme?"

Loki: "I am going to open a portal and have some aliens invade."

Everyone: "..."

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chronicjihad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked them both, but Winter Soldier was a bit better. Wasn't over the top with special effects, had a better plot, and a more insidious villain. The stunts were extremely well done in Winter Soldier as well. I won't soon forget the captain landing on his shoulder after a 30 story drop.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@soa said:

i guess bucky fans take this . :'(

C'mon people really? No love for the avengers? I mean I loved cap! It's rated my #3 movie of all time! But avengers (my #2 movie of all time) beats it still! Cap was amazing but not on the same level as avengers!

The poll has been open for less than 2 hours and it'll be open for many more days. It's far too early to throw in the towel!

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The Avengers sit at number two and three in my favorite comic book films of all time. The only one that sits above them is The Dark Knight. So, I give my vote to The Winter Soldier by a narrow margin. I absolutely adore both of these movies though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didnt like Avengers.

I like Captain America 2

KikeJunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KikeJunior

Both movies are great!!!! But Winter Soldier is Superior hahahahaha Buy you may say The Avengers is the best movie of Marvel's Phase One... Let's hope Phase Two brings us a big time with Age of Ultron!!!

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I feel a bit vindicated for being in the "Avengers, good but over-rated crowd" from day one. Two years ago, it would have been unthinkable for The Avengers to not win any movie poll by a landslide. Some folks said "Wait a minute, tis movie is fun, but as time goes on, it will be regarded less and less highly." That seems to be the case. And while I realize time diminishes everything (In 2 years, TWS won't be as highly regarded as it is now either.) It takes something very special in any form of entertainment to stand the test of time, and I don't think The Avengers had that something special. In fact, out of all the Comic-book superhero movies, I'm thinking Iron Man and The Dark Knight might the only two from the last decade that will.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Avengers

Shield & Friends (sometimes refered to as Captain America 2) was an ok movie but not as good.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved both.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man is still my favorite, but I loved both of these as well. It's tough to choose between them when I've seen Avengers at least ten times and Cap 2 only once. That blu-ray release can't get here soon enough.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 the_stegman  Moderator

Iron Man>>Winter Soldier>>>>>Avengers.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Avengers way more than Winter Soldier.

Timotheus316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised to see the way this one is going. I really loved both movies. They were both awesome but I still recall the nerdgasm I got from the trailers to watching The Avengers twice in one day. It was wonderful. Like Christmas when I was a child. Winter Soldier was super cool and like I said, I love both, but I didn't get the same feel even though it is probably the best movie I've seen this year, hands down. I had to pick Avengers. I loved it just a smidge more than Winter Soldier. Only a smidge.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Placing my vote with Winter Soldier. That movie just had it all, man. Action, great plot and character development, terrific acting. The Avengers was the big conclusion to what Marvel had been building up to at that point, so that movie brings with it that sort of satisfaction, and while I completely loved it, I felt like there was more that could be done in terms of character work. I guess at that point the characters had been established enough in previous films, and the focus was on the team rather than any individual. That's how that movie should be, so I'm not complaining. Winter Soldier, however, dives deep these characters and makes them tangible and real. The movie had this incredible depth to it that you didn't quite find in Avengers. It's rare that a movie comes along where you end up rooting for the villain at the end, and Winter Soldier was one of 'em. That's the kind of depth I'm talkin' about, folks. Real great stuff.

While Avengers was a fun movie, Winter Soldier was a great film.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winter Soldier is a fantastic movie, but still Avengers for me.

Seeing MARVEL's big 3 Cap, Iron Man and Thor on the big screen together during the forrest scene was amazing. Iron Man vs Thor, Hulk vs Thor, Cap quarterbacking the final battle! Dammit, I'ma go watch that movie now!

jwrose5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a fan of a good story, especially if its a mystery. Captain America had the better storyline, the whole "Who is the Winter Soldier?" and "Who really runs SHIELD?" were great. Both movies had great action scenes, funny quips, but Captain America had better character development and dynamic. Avengers just has too many characters for significant development.

DD208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By DD208

This question is better answered a year after the DVD is released. Which ever you have watched more times would be the winner.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winter soldier is just great, it's up there with Iron Man as my favorite marvel movie.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By Lvenger

I see The Winter Soldier hype train is still going. Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant film and one of my favourite CBMs but I didn't think Winter Soldier would be this much ahead of Avengers. Shows what I know.

Avengers, or Avengers Assemble as it was called in Britain, for me. Whilst The Winter Soldier brought a lot of solid ideas, Avengers tied together the Marvel Cinematic Universe in a coherent, enjoyable and continuity established way that met my expectations for the film. Winter Soldier worked well with its premise but it followed from the tying together that The Avengers brought about.

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked TWS much better than Avengers. Although I was never a fan of Avengers from the start.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is such a close call. I love both films but i dont like sitting on the fence. We need to examine not just the films themselves but the effect they both had on the Marvel Cinematic universe.

Avengers was a classic the second it came out, delivering what was promised to us in the credits scene of the pile of awesome that was iron man. It was simply the best comic book movie that had ever been seen. It joined the characters from all the stand alone films, and because of the solo entries, Avengers did not need to focus too much on character development or waste time worrying about plot, it just got on with the job of dishing out action set peice after set peice. Most action films would kill for just a few of the scenes that avengers showed us. It also set the bench mark for every comic book movie to come, and showed what can be acheived with the proper foundations.

Winter soldier on the other hand is a more subtle masterpiece. Yes it has some massive destruction and some very well choriographed fights, but more than that was the plot that kept people interested in what the outcome. How could it have gone so horribly wrong for S.H.I.E.L.D.? What happened in this film changed the game for the MCU and was great with the support from Agents Of Shield, seeing it all unfold from the perspectives of the top players as well as the lower rank agents. Non comic readers (which lets face it, are 90% of the audience) genuinely didn't know the twists were coming, which adds a lot to the impact the movie has.

As said, i don't like sitting on the fence, so my vote goes to Avengers, the best use of action, witty lines and A-list actors so far seen on the big screen, and the best Hulk too.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I vote the Winter Soldier. Very grounded, modern, and interesting. Nick. The Avengers came off to me a bit corny and very marketed and sadly is one of my least favorite marvel movies.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cap, Avengers was to cheesy.