Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Stan Lee's THE X-MEN vs. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Favorite Comic Runs VOTING: Stan Lee's THE X-MEN vs. THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN (260 votes)

THE X-MEN 20%
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 72%
Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 9%

Stan "The Man" Lee is known for co-creating a whole lot of popular Marvel characters. These fictional heroes and villains have not only endured the decades, but many have also managed to adapt and thrive with the times. However, this week, we want to chat about two of his classic runs: THE X-MEN and THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. Yes, we considered his FANTASTIC FOUR (especially since it's longer than his time with Cyclops and company), but truthfully, we regularly see the X-Men receive far more love than Marvel's first family in the forums. Besides, writers can appear in the segment more than once, so if the iconic writer does return to the segment, it's very likely we'll place that against something else!

Will you side with Lee's legendary introduction of the Children of the Atom and their foes? Or will the X-Men stand no chance against Lee's iconic run with Peter Parker? Guess what? We're letting you pick the winner. You know, because we're kind like that. When you're ready, go ahead and cast your vote, true believer! Sorry, had to say it at least once.

Not sure which run will earn your vote just yet? Well, there's no need to worry or rush because voting is open until Friday morning (ET). That should be more than enough time to dive back into these classic books and determine which one you dig more.

Last but not least, everyone say "the world is a better place with you in it" to the Comic Viner dagmar_merrill. Why give this person such an absurd amount of praise, you ask? It's because they were the first person to correctly guess this week's match-up based on Friday's teaser. Great job being a total boss, dagmar_merrill.

Check the homepage on Friday to see which takes the prize and why. In the meantime, feel free to make future match-up suggestions in the comments below or tell us via Twitter.

• 
herrweis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Amazing Spider Man should win by a landslide as far as the earlY iSues go there is no comparison

Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 29%"

WHAT.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@k4tzm4n said:

"Unfortunately, I haven't read either. Shame on me. 29%"

WHAT.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I've read Stan's Spider-Man, which is enjoyable and good (though very dated at this point)

Haven't read X-Men.

Still, Spider-Man spanks Wolverine so I'll vote ASM. *snicker*

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By thespideyguy

Stan Lee's spiderman is still enjoyable today. The whole idea of persecution seems dated. Yet Peter Parker has problems that many people still have today. Not that many people face persecution.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 k4tzm4n  Moderator
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read Stan's Spider-Man, which is enjoyable and good (though very dated at this point)

Haven't read X-Men.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spiderman. I like uncanny x-men better.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Haven't read X-Men.

But... but Wolverine isn't in that X-Men run :(

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@k4tzm4n: I'm aware, I was rustling jimmies.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: There are lots of small children on this site who don't know comics existed pre-marvelnow.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By LCazT1996

I've read very limited amounts of each. Not enough to form a solid opinion, sadly. :/

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man. Stan Lee may have created the X-Men, but they didn't get really good until Claremont came along.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Haven't read X-Men.

But... but Wolverine isn't in that X-Men run :(

What are you talking about? He's clearly that one random soldier in X-Men #1, as seen in Wolverine: Origin IV #37.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Shame on me.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey of course.

LenSnart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

definitely Spidey, Stan's X-men was pretty 1 dimensional

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ASM is on sale on comixology which are the best issues to get?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

DAMN this is a tough one.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Spidey. Still kind of works today, although goofy (oh, that sixties slang). X-men feels a lot narrower and by the numbers.

And Marvel Unlimited is fantastic for reading all these old comics.

Topher5151992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Topher5151992

@thespideyguy said:

Stan Lee's spiderman is still enjoyable today. The whole idea of persecution seems dated. Yet Peter Parker has problems that many people still have today. Not that many people face persecution.

Preface: I don't wish to get in some long drawn out back and forth argument over what I am about to say. I am sure that you are a fine person with no ill-intentions from your comment; however persecution is by no means dated around the globe. Pardon this assumption if I am wrong, but if you are a straight, white man from a Western country from a well-to-do family, then of course you'd not notice the people facing persecution today. Even if it's not obvious bigotry, there are plenty microaggressions and structures in society that are inherently bigoted. Women are continued to be paid less than men who do the same job, LGB people are not allowed to marry despite having the ability to be as faithful to one another and as beneficial to society as heterosexual couples, Mexican undocumented immigrants are treated as greedy, sub-humans (when in reality they are in desperate need of work in order to feed their families. Most would rather not even be in our country if they could have found work/a decent wage back in their homes in Mexico with their loved ones, and they are actually a boost to our economy. They have to pay for food, housing, and basic necessities like everyone else, and let's face it they are taking the jobs that no one else really wants anyways for less than minimum wages), and Sikhs have been verbally/physically attacked in the US because some Americans don't even know the difference between them and Muslims. These are just a few examples in the US, and I am sure there are examples in Europe and Australia as well. Then you can look at examples such as the Anti-Homosexuality Act passed in Uganda this year or rape/sexual violence against women is a common occurrence in which less than a quarter of the rapists are convicted, and marital rape is not seen as a crime. Again, I don't mean to pick a fight with anyone; however, human rights issues and bigotry are still very commonplace in the world today, and they will continue to be an issue. There will be plenty of people who can relate to the theme of persecution throughout the X-Men mythos. Do not take your privileged life for granted. And now that I'm done venting, I am sorry. This issue is just a passion of mine. I do have to agree that Stan's run on Spider-Man was better.

theodixon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I've gone with the Amazing Spider-Man as it was the first series I ever read. Once the graphic novel had come through my door, I spent ages reading the paperback. The book gives a quaint feel and the fact that it's written in a different style to now is what makes it enjoyable. Many good villains are introduced too: Doc Ock and Lizard, Green Goblin and Kraven, Mysterio and Vulture, the list goes on. The X-Men isn't bad but for me, Spider-Man wins every time.

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-man

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Squalleon

Lee's and Kirby's X-men weren't as memorable.

You can tell how much more exciting the Spider-man run is with how much more memorable it is. It introduced the most relatable character in comics, a great supporting cast and in my opinion the most tragic origin of mainstream heroes. Romita's, Ditko's and Lee's Spider-man has so many stories that deserve mention and are "must reads" even today. The first appearances of most of Spider-man's greatest villians, one of the most important deaths of comic history, "No more Spider-man" which is as beautiful scripted as it is drawn, "If this be my destiny" which is the pinnacle of Ditko's and Lee's Spider-man run, putting the hero in a situation, that he must overcome his mental and physical limits if he wants to save someone he loves, I will repeat that, he doesn't give up for himself but for someone else, there is so much emotion in this run which makes it very unique for its time or at least that is what I think. There is a great variety of stories in this run and the FACT that it is more than readable today speaks for itself.

This would be a lot closer if it was FF vs Spiderman though...

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

Spiderman is leagues better than his X neb

Avatar image for shallbecomeabattoo
Shallbecomeabattoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't read either. The only really old comics I have read and enjoyed is the whole Kirbys fourth world stuff and the Demon. I want to check out Kirbys Avengers too.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I literally just finished Lee and Kirby's Xmen yesterday, and let me just say, it is not their best work.

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man for me. The original X-Men just doesn't have the strong characters that Uncanny would develop and the stories weren't as interesting. Spider-Man holds up a lot more in my opinion.

WilliamYates8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And I do agree with some of the other posts, if this was FF it would be closer. (FF is easily my favorite run from Stan Lee)

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Spidey is simply one of the most human and relatable characters in comics. Got to go with Peter.

Jayso4201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Looks like a curb stomp here. While the induction of the X-men is huge, they really didn't hit their stride for me until late 70's early 80's with the addition of Storm, Wolverine, and the rest. However, Stan's run on Spider-Man is truly classic and are all must reads. The foundation he laid during his time on the book is still used to this day to base story lines around and the characters created is astounding. Spidey, hands down.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Stan Lee's ASM, I meant his X-Men run was , in sugar coated terms, ok, introducing us to plenty of characters that would be well known for many years but to be honest, it was Claremont who made the X-Men as well known as it is today. Meanwhile , Stan Lee and Ditko's ASM run is the stuff of legends. Not only did he introduce to many iconic characters and some of the best Spider-Man storylines. He gave all us nerds and geeks in comicvine a hero we can relate to and look up to.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

Spider-Man. Stan Lee may have created the X-Men, but they didn't get really good until Claremont came along.

Claremont saved the X-Men....

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Spiderman, but xmen was pretty good

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I've read both issues on Marvel's "Marvel Comics" app. It is like their own personal Comixology. Anyways, the first issues of both The Amazing Spider-Man and The X-Men are was free to read once you download the app. Therefore, I have read both.

I love Spider-Man to death. I do. He's arguably my favorite superhero but I did not enjoy his first issue as much as I enjoyed the X-Men's first issue. The reason being that I have learned that I prefer team books over solo books. I enjoy reading a bunch of characters all getting some time to shine more than reading about one character and getting some supporting characters to show up from time to time. Yes I enjoy reading solo series too but team books are slightly more enjoyable sometimes.

I felt like The X-Men was more entertaining because there wasn't too much back story. The issue was more action packed than Spider-Man's first solo issue. Plus, I have read, seen, and heard Spider-Man's origin story more than enough times that I do not need to read, see, or hear it ever again.

Still I can see who's going to win. (+)

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing Spider-Man ftw.

kingofwhales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man rules here. Would`ve been better verses Fantastic Four issues 40 to 60. All the the FF meat is there.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't finished them, but reading both currently and I'd go Spider-Man.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

X-men sucked, until it was revisited and revamped (after essentially being cancelled)

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By thespideyguy

@thespideyguy said:

Preface: I don't wish to get in some long drawn out back and forth argument over what I am about to say. I am sure that you are a fine person with no ill-intentions from your comment; however persecution is by no means dated around the globe. Pardon this assumption if I am wrong, but if you are a straight, white man from a Western country from a well-to-do family, then of course you'd not notice the people facing persecution today. Even if it's not obvious bigotry, there are plenty microaggressions and structures in society that are inherently bigoted. Women are continued to be paid less than men who do the same job, LGB people are not allowed to marry despite having the ability to be as faithful to one another and as beneficial to society as heterosexual couples, Mexican undocumented immigrants are treated as greedy, sub-humans (when in reality they are in desperate need of work in order to feed their families. Most would rather not even be in our country if they could have found work/a decent wage back in their homes in Mexico with their loved ones, and they are actually a boost to our economy. They have to pay for food, housing, and basic necessities like everyone else, and let's face it they are taking the jobs that no one else really wants anyways for less than minimum wages), and Sikhs have been verbally/physically attacked in the US because some Americans don't even know the difference between them and Muslims. These are just a few examples in the US, and I am sure there are examples in Europe and Australia as well. Then you can look at examples such as the Anti-Homosexuality Act passed in Uganda this year or rape/sexual violence against women is a common occurrence in which less than a quarter of the rapists are convicted, and marital rape is not seen as a crime. Again, I don't mean to pick a fight with anyone; however, human rights issues and bigotry are still very commonplace in the world today, and they will continue to be an issue. There will be plenty of people who can relate to the theme of persecution throughout the X-Men mythos. Do not take your privileged life for granted. And now that I'm done venting, I am sorry. This issue is just a passion of mine. I do have to agree that Stan's run on Spider-Man was better.

Thank you for enlightening me. What I was trying to say is not everyone is going to be persecuted. Yet everyone will wake up with a zit or be dumped by girlfriend (boyfriend). I do understand what you are saying and I do agree that people will be able to relate to the X-men. I think spidey is more relatable.

MasterBelmont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MasterBelmont

Spider-Man, obviously. I mean, it's the original stories of one of the most recognizable pop culture characters. I don't even like X-Men, so that gives me even more reason to vote for Spidey.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 owie  Moderator

Looks like maybe it should have been FF instead of X-Men after all. Consider what was introduced there that is still major today: the Watcher, Galactus and the Silver Surfer, Adam Warlock, the re-introduction of Namor, the Molecule Man, the Inhumans, and of course Dr. Doom.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@owie said:

Looks like maybe it should have been FF instead of X-Men after all. Consider what was introduced there that is still major today: the Watcher, Galactus and the Silver Surfer, Adam Warlock, the re-introduction of Namor, the Molecule Man, the Inhumans, and of course Dr. Doom.

Black Panther too...

BB

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was never too big on the X-Men minus Wolvie and Gambit.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@xwraith said:

Claremont saved the X-Men....

Len Wein should get some credit too...

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I first voted, I was surprised Spider-Man was so ahead but apparently it's the general feeling on this thread Spider-Man's early issues were better. I never read any of Spider-Man's early stuff but looks like I should.

I would have still gone with the X-Men. The early years made me giggle so much, it's very funny and campy and awesome.

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ravisher

im not voting

ShenKuei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ShenKuei

Looks like a curb stomp here. While the induction of the X-men is huge, they really didn't hit their stride for me until late 70's early 80's with the addition of Storm, Wolverine, and the rest. However, Stan's run on Spider-Man is truly classic and are all must reads. The foundation he laid during his time on the book is still used to this day to base story lines around and the characters created is astounding. Spidey, hands down.

Agreed.

I do have to disagree with the guy that said the older X-men comics aren't relevant any more though. They're more relevant than ever today.