CV's Roundtable User Discussion 002 - Kid vs Adult Comics

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey

Hello Comic Vine users, welcome to the sites' second "Roundtable User Discussion". Second? If you don't know what this is then you have been missing out! (Check out the first ever Roundtable User Discussion HERE)  
For those of you newbies who have no idea what this is, or those of you who need a refresher, let me explain a bit. A bunch of CV users, like you, virtually met up to talk comic books. That conversation has been posted here for you guys to see, read and enjoy. After you read our conversation be sure to comment below where you can submit your own opinions after reading ours.

No Caption Provided
So let's get to the introductions! Hi I am Geo ( sora_thekey) moderator of this discussion. I am an avid comic book reader who specializes in Ultimate Spider-Man. 
I am joined by two of the users who were with me during the last discussion ( xerox_kitty and danhimself) and I also have two new recruits: the lovely Psyentist and the lazy lazystudent!

xerox-kitty: My name's xerox-kitty & I'm a Vine-aholic.

The Psyentist: Hey. I'm The Psyentist. I like comics and the various spheres that are incorporated in comics such as concepts and characters. (I will be abstaining from posting pictures of myself for this... haha.)

danhimself:
I'm danhimself and I love comics.  

lazystudent: Hi I am lazystudent. Although I am neither a student or especially lazy. That's the irony of the name. Just call me Ryan Or Lazy to keep it short.

Welcome to the "Roundtable" guys.  So first of all I want some feedback from the past roundtable. xerox and dan both were there but did you (Psy and lazy) read it? 

The Psyentist: Well... to be honest, I skimmed through to the parts that seemed to be of the most interest to me. But it was good stuff.

lazystudent: It was a great read. Good to see something different with some nice interaction between us viners.

danhimself: I loved it. I loved doing it. Like I said in the thread it's so rare to actually just sit down with people and have a comic book conversation where it's not about dissing everything they read.

xerox-kitty: I just remember fighting off the Sleep Monster... but I'm a glutton for punishment who's come back for more.

danhimself: The sleep monster is a dangerous foe.

lazystudent: He maybe dangerous but at least he eats your nightmares, or so I have heard.

The Psyentist: No comment from the psychology major... 

V for Vendetta
 V for Vendetta
Hahaha. Well I am glad you guys enjoyed both reading it and making it.  

Well, we are going to follow a similar road that we took last time and I hope it will be just as interesting as the last. So to start of I want to ask: What was the last comic book, graphic novel or web comic you read?

danhimself:
I just finished reading Marvel's 5 Ronin #3.

The Psyentist: The last graphic novel I read was actually V for Vendetta which I FINALLY purchased and read. 

lazystudent: Oooh Alan Moore! Psy is talking my language.  

The Psyentist: Well, it would make sense Lazy. People think I'm from the UK so  I would be speaking your language, almost your dialect even. I shall now avoid a monologue on linguistics... 

xerox-kitty: I had a light 'new comics' week last week, so the last thing I read was X-Men: Legacy (and I'm absolutely loving the Age of X!), but I'm looking forward to reading X-Factor tomorrow. 

Marvel mutants already? That didn't take long! Hehehe

lazystudent: The last comic-related thing i read was the excellent Batman: Hush graphic novel. I loved the accurate interactions between characters and the range of villains in the book. Its for sure in my to 5 Batman novels now. Says the man who owns 6 lol

Batman: Hush
 Batman: Hush
In the comment section of the last Roundtable I was told that Hush is a great book. I will have to read it someday. 
In my case the last graphic novel I read was Umbrella Academy Vol. 1. Now let me ask you this, out of all the books we mentioned right now, are any of them kid-friendly?

The Psyentist:
V for Vendetta by Alan Moore... not so much. 

lazystudent: Alan Moore period is pretty much a no. He does love his adult themes.

danhimself: Not really. The closest any of these books would be to "kid friendly" would be X-Men: Legacy and even then I'm not sure how "kid friendly" it is.

xerox-kitty: Technically the X-Men books are rated for teens. I would recommend them to kids younger than teens, but not little kids.  I have friends at work who have babies (or pregnant wives) and I've already been planning on their first comics. I've already started with some Calvin & Hobbes. I'll definitely throw some of Marvel' OZ books in there, and possibly some Pet Avengers & Power Pack.  All well written, well-drawn fun stuff.   

danhimself: If I were to recommend any books to someone looking for books for their kids then I'd go with Tiny Titans, Darkwing Duck, and Chip N' Dale's Rescue Rangers.  I personally love all three of these books.

lazystudent: If we are talking pre-teen kids The Marvel OZ books are exceptional, nice art and great characters. Oh and the Muppets, I still love them and their comics aren't too bad if you like them also. 

xerox-kitty: I'd recommend anything that Lil' G-Girl has reviewed too. She's got good taste, so I'd trust her recommendations.

Darkwing Duck
 Darkwing Duck
Story sharing time. My uncle recently went to the comic book store with me because he was curious as to why I liked comics so much. The first comic he picked up from the shelf was Grimm's Fairy Tales. He saw "Fairy Tales" and thought it was a kids book but looked at the cover and went up to me with a freaked out look and said: "These are not kids' books right?"

Have you guys have had any experiences where someone asks you if they are kids' books or something along those lines?

xerox-kitty: No, not really. Even when I used to work in a comic shop, I never had any problems. Although, after all these years my Mom still doesn't understand why I collect 'magazines'. Bless her ;)

The Psyentist: Eh no, but I suppose it may have come up where I have discussed gritty and/or deep pieces found within comics that surprised people.

danhimself:
Most of my "real life" friends are non comic book readers and their kids are still babies so there's been no recommendations on that end and when I'm at the comic book store I tend to run in grab my books and run out only glancing over the shelves a little bit while I'm there. So there's been no recommendations on that end. If I'm recommending something to someone then it's here on the site in someone's thread.

Wonderful Wizard of OZ
 Wonderful Wizard of OZ
Have you guys had similar experiences where people look at you and think you are reading a kids comic when in reality you have a story that involves violence and maybe even sexual themes in it?

lazystudent: In terms of trades I would say its tough to pick especially for that age. There's a lot of stuff that could be just a little ahead of that age group. You pitch too high and you can disturb them, to low and they wont be interested.

The Psyentist: I've actually been surprised myself on occasion. I remember when I was first loaned Watchmen. Not the stereotypical comic book, though it does involve masked heroes. I was amazed at the thought, literary merit, language, sexuality, violence, and... blue man parts. 

danhimself: I think that's going to be an issue for just about everyone who reads comic books. Comics are still looked at as "kiddie books" and it seems like society as a whole is in no rush to move past that stereotype.  So I think that we're always going to have that problem.

Watchmen
 Watchmen
Dan makes an excellent point. Why can't people move past that stereotype of "comics are kids' books"? 

danhimself: I think that's something we just need to get used to. As long as there are cartoons, action figures, and pajamas based on comic book characters then they're going to be viewed as juvenile. Plus I don't know about everyone else but most people my age that I know are to busy watching Jersey Shore to bother picking up a book.

lazystudent:Shudders at the mention of Jersey Shore.

The Psyentist: I guess it's just a stereotype. It's a little ironic since these stories are created, written, and drawn by adults. Possibly the fantasy element. Very imaginative. Superheroes are sometimes seen as role models. But they can be so much more.

xerox-kitty: People remember the cartoons from when they were kids. So a lot of their perception will be built around the cheesy fun of Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends or the moody Deco Noir of the Batman Animated Series from the early 90's. As the cartoons have grown more sophisticated, I think people's idea of comics might evolve. 

lazystudent: You would think with the current surge in comic-based entertainment that people would of got used to things based on the "comics are for kids" aspect years ago. They don't seem to be bothered when watching the films TV shows etc based on them.

The Psyentist: Which is also odd because there are quite a few adult cartoons out as well.

lazystudent: Exactly being a major Simpsons fan I always argued that the humor in most cases int aimed at children, but the whole it being a cartoon means people perceive it to be that way.

The Simpsons
 The Simpsons
Then again I know of a few parents who let their kids watch the Simpsons because "they are just cartoons" 

lazystudent: I think the Simpsons has been around so long and has become so iconic that people don't really mind letting kids watch it. After all it's still way safer than Family Guy or South Park in terms of risque jokes. I think the same is said with comics most parents are aware of the major players and wouldn't expect  possible negative behavior form them. But with all the main players there's always the possibility you could allow a potentially dodgy issue to be read by  your child. The only way to be 100% safe is to read all the issues yourself first.

Marvel (and DC in the near future) has a rating system for books, do you guys think that helps?

The Psyentist:
I like ratings. They let me know the kind of material I'm getting into. Does that mean people will pay attention... not necessarily. But in theory, I think ratings help.  

xerox-kitty: The ratings wont change a thing. It's like the story a couple of years ago about the mom who was outraged that her son had seen MJ in her bra when he'd checked a Spider-Man trade out of the library. The ratings on comics are small & aren't as clear as those on other media.  I don't think they make any difference to non-comic reading parents. 

danhimself: I think the rating system will help parents more than anyone else. I think everyone knows about the lady who goes out and buys her kid a comic book only to be surprised that there's violence on the inside. The rating system will allow those irresponsible parents to be even more irresponsible and continue to judge their kid's books and games based on the covers.  Personally the rating system means nothing to me. If a book is good then I'm going to read it. I already mentioned that I read Darkwing Duck, Tiny Titans, and Rescue Rangers. All three are meant for children but I enjoy the heck out of them and it's nice to have something light to read after I just got done reading about Joker beating another Robin with a crowbar.

Tiny Titans
 Tiny Titans
Haha. So lets say you have to recommend just one kid-friendly book/title. Which would it be?

danhimself:
Darkwing Duck easily. It's for kids but it's not dumbed down.

lazystudent: The Wizard of Oz marvel books are brilliant. The art and stories are both fantastic. Very good way to show younger kids how awesome a good comic can be.  They make me, as an male adult, smile they have magical powers lol.

xerox-kitty: Jut one kid title? That's not fair ;) 

Probably something simple yet chaotic & energetic like Calvin & Hobbes.

Alias
 Alias
So with those suggestions lets move over to not-so-kid-friendly titles. Do you guys mind the violence and sexual themes (amongst other stuff) in comic books?  

lazystudent:
Hell no I have most of the works of Alan Moore and without trying to sound like some kind of deviant, I like comics that have a bit more of an edge to them. Moore is the master for Edgy action.

xerox-kitty: Only if it calls for it. Sometimes it seems that extreme sex & violence is thrown in for shock value. Like when Marvel MAX was first launched, the first issue of Alias sold out because rampant hormones were excited at the prospect of seeing an established super hero having anal sex with the lead character.  I'm not interested in shock value. Alias went on to be a good series, but I demand decent characterization & plot... Not pointless gratuity.

danhimself:
I don't mind it as long as there's a purpose behind it being there.  I really don't care for Frank Miller's work since I feel that he adds in the violence and foul language into his books just for the sake of adding it in and sometimes even to the point where it messes up a character.  Take All Star Batman and Robin for instance, I hated that book.  The Batman in that series isn't Batman.  He abuses Dick Grayson even going as far as to lock him in the cave with no food or water for days at a time.  Definitely not Batman I don't care if it's an alternate reality or not.   

The Psyentist: Along with Lazy, I like edge but I like purposeful action and yes, Moore does this quite well. Sexual themes are fine for me, but I am a bit prudish when it comes to sex and nudity. I prefer things be implied.  

Punisher MAX
 Punisher MAX
I agree with Psy. I prefer for things to be implied. Speaking of sex and violence what happens when you take a character who you really like and make him/her gritty or promiscuous. Like if Spider-Man were to be given a MAX title or the themes in the original Power Pack surfaced now?

The Psyentist:
I would get violent. Okay, maybe not. I guess I don't really have an example in mind, so... yeah. I would probably facepalm and find it a bit nauseating.

xerox-kitty: The original Power Pack dealt with some pretty tough themes for a kids book.  They tackled drug abuse, kidnapping & even child abuse.  It was always done in such a style that you'd be sure that your kids were learning from the stories without being traumatized by reading it.

danhimself: If there were a legitimate story where Spider-Man needed to be dark and gritty then I don't think I would have a problem with it.  Wait.  I know I wouldn't have a problem with it since I loved Grim Hunt.  

...and yet Grim Hunt was rated A. 

xerox-kitty: I just remembered X-Force: Sex & Violence.  When I first read the name it sounded like a bad idea.  By the time the series came out, it was so tame in comparison to some of the violence already seen in Kyle & Yost's X-Force, and the reader didn't see any sex.  Yet it wasn't disappointing.  It was almost a relief that it wasn't hideously over the top with boobs, blood & sperm.   

lazystudent: Spider-Man could kind of work as a max tittle if done well, he normally holds back a lot when fighting and is often injured as a result. Making a Spidey MAX title could allow for a bit of blood  and maybe offer a slightly more adult look at Spideys life. Thou with the many women in Peters life it could end up a little pervy. 

The Amazing Spider-Man: Grim Hunt
 The Amazing Spider-Man: Grim Hunt
Wouldn't you think a lot of that would be out of character for someone like Spider-Man? 

lazystudent:
Spidey is never gonna be gritty like Punisher but he could have darker books in which he is not very different but the world around him is darker. Spideys various enemies are all quite nasty and a max title would allow a means of showing their more brutal behavior especially the likes of Carnage and Kaine

danhimself: The thing is that "dark and gritty" doesn't necessarily mean "sex and gore". Batman is a dark and gritty title by nature but has very little sex and gore. 

That's right, sex and gore would be things you would only see when the cover says: EXPLICIT CONTENT. Is Spider-Man fit to have a MAX title?

xerox-kitty:
Only in an alternate universe. It was the only way the X-Men had a MAX title.

It took you a while to get another X-Men reference in there Kitty! :P

The Psyentist:
Well, I might find it a bit off just because Spider-Man was one of the first comics I read. He always seemed like a decent sort of character. I think with the MAX title it automatically means certain elements will be in it more for shock value. But I don't know. I've never read any MAX.

danhimself: Spider-man wouldn't really have to change though. He could still be that decent character. But like Lazy said a Max title would give his villains a chance to really cut loose. He deals with psychopaths and murderers in just about every issue of Amazing Spider-man but in a Max title we could really see just how insane some of these characters are and then have the comparison of them against Spider-man.

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
 The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Alright then, the readers can't tell but right now behind the scenes Psy and lazy are arguing seniority right now, which means this would be a good time to end. Just before we go, what would your "Adult Book" recommendation be?

The Psyentist:
Psh. No argument. I've been here longer. He's just older. Haha. As far as "adult books," I'm not especially well-read, but since we were discussing it before, works by Alan Moore. It's edgy but also purposeful and thought-provoking.  

lazystudent:
I concede; Psy won. One recommendation for adult books in the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series. Why? you may ask and I would say because the style of the backdrop is awesome, they have several  Easter Eggs related to other written works and the art while gory and sexual in places is just great. Basically its one of the best adult based series I have read.  

danhimself: It would be the same recommendation that I give to anyone looking for a book to read. The Walking Dead.  It's by far the best title on the shelves today. 

xerox-kitty: Since the other guys will recommend Alan Moore, then I'd better come up with something else. Try Cowboy Ninja Viking for a completely original story & vivid art. Or even though I haven't read a lot of it, take a stab at some of Vertigo's Endless characters in Sandman or the different Death mini titles... and Fables too! That ought to keep Aztek happy ;) 

Daytripper
 Daytripper
Awww I was going to recommend Fables. My recommendation would then be Daytripper, the creators are Brazilian and it just came out this year. It's not a book that involves a lot of sexual themes or violence but it does involve some adult themes I would not let a kid read.

So I guess we have reached the end of our discussion. In honor of our Kid vs Adult themed topic I say we end this Roundtable singing the end theme of the Mousketeers! 

The Psyentist:
FALSE

danhimself:
but I don't know the end theme of the Mousketeers... what are the Mousketeers?

lazystudent: I am with Dan I don't think we had that in England. Looks for backing from Kitty

xerox-kitty:
Oh, I know what a Mousketeer is but only because of a talking Mickey toy that my aunty brought for me when I was little., but we've never had the theme tune over here in the UK.

Really!? "Now it's time to say good bye to all our Mouseketeers. M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E" No? 

lazystudent:
If you said Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle is would of been with you but never heard of this lol

"M-I-C-K-E-Y"
C'Mon! I feel so alone.
So because I need to teach these guys the song I will now end this discussion!

Would you guys care to say your good byes? 

The Psyentist:
Goodbye, all. *tips hat* 

xerox-kitty:
Good night, Y'all!

lazystudent:
I am so tempted to break into song now just not with a theme I don't know. Perhaps I should just say cheers for letting sit at the round table and walk away into the sunset Bruce Banner style.

danhimself:
Wait.  It's new comic book day.  Why am I talking to people? Gotta go! 

Hahaha. I am Geo/sora_thekey now signing off. Bye
"Dan! WAIT FOR ME!!!"

-- Geo ( sora_thekey) 24/7 geek! -- Follow me on Twitter: @sora_thekey
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

Great job Sora!  I had just as much fun doing the discussion this time as I did last time!

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

GAH!  Now I have another twenty minutes of reading ahead of me  =^ ]

Sicily Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Sicily Boss

Now i wish i hadn't dropped it. Great Article

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By EdwardWindsor

Nice Edit Sora, worked out really well and was pretty fun.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By xerox_kitty

It didn't even occur to me until this morning that we never even thought of the Comics Code Authority.  We talked about the current ratings on comics, but not the CCA.  D'oh!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Mercy_

Awesome job, guys. ^_^

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator

Cool, oh, and now I shall have to most definitely read the first thread as well. Really cool, interesting discussion. I really lament the lack of quality all ages comics right now, two projects in recent times, that got me really excited, were a proposed Wonder Woman title aimed at a younger market (but adults too) and Thor The Mighty Avenger, which had excellent character focused story telling, and surpassed my expectations and even made me question the types of stories All Ages books could offer.   

lol Was that X-Men Max book the Phoenix one? That one looks... Ooh Daytripper appreciation/recommendations! Very underrated book. I find generally people sort of hold a lot of generalized stereotypes. Comics is just one of them. One of the more predominant ones, but sort of similar to video games being more geared towards children, and pacifiers being geared for babies....Oh, and I sort of like the creative processes that could occur with taken anything and subverting it, some of my favorite internet related lulz come from seeing cartoon characters deconstructed or subverted into adult situations. The same works with subverting Punisher by giving him a black water pistol, de-aging him to 3 and letting him loose on a playground. Likewise X-Babies, Tiny Titans, oh, but well except you know, taking more extreme comic characters and have them experience that altered state. 

Oh, anyway, great thread. ^_^

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty
@SC said:
"Was that X-Men Max book the Phoenix one? That one looks... "
... like a hentai comic?  I've only seen a few images & covers from it, but that's the one. 

I originally made the point that there are certain characters that no-one wants to see in that light.  Despite all the jokes in Mallrats, a Fantastic Four MAX wouldn't be popular, because no-one really wants to see if the Thing's thing is made of orange rock. 

Marvel has spent too much time making Spider-Man appeal to all ages.  They're not about to throw that away by making mainstram Spidey into a porn star.  Therefore, the only way they'd do a Spider-MAX story is if it's like that dreadful X-Man MAX story... in an alternte universe that no-one cares about.
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator
@xerox-kitty:  Yeah, it was either Rachel, or Jean, and it was like, well I was going to say a manga but hentai would be the better word lol what I saw, made that Chris Claremont and Milo Manara X-Women comic look like a kids Sunday school special.  

I sort of get what you mean, but in that sense, I mean regular, Fantastic Four struggles to be popular normally anyway, when its not playing the character death hype game. So I feel even if you acquired a writer who would carefully craft a very dark, adult, but not gratuitous spin on Fantastic Four, it would probably go unnoticed and yes, the novelty factor of the crude and rude aspects of a more exploitive Max Fantastic Four wouldn't really seem to have much room to stand on either. (Unless a certain Marvel artist maybe found some Jessica Alba pictures and... 0_0) 

I sort of really didn't get into the Marvel Noir series. The X-Men take I felt could have been a lot more interesting and innovative, so I didn't bother with the rest, does anyone know if Spider-Man Noir went into darker territory? Oh, and yes, plus they would probably release the Alt reality Spider-Man porn story discreetly overseas (I mean we are both overseas technically, but over the other seas) somewhere first and just find different avenues to advertise. Sort of similar to how I heard about X-Men: Ragazze In Fuga, a while before its international release. (One of my favorite Spanish artists does a lot of soft porn stuff, alongside his cleaner gothic, eastern tattoo fantasy stuff, but its sort of hard to avoid either when you go looking for the other, it was just really funny to see X-Men logos and X-Characters showing up in ads and the like. lol it was even more surreal when Marvel released it as X-Women with a Max label...) 

Still, so much potential for Spider-man being in a really dark and sinister place. So many topical issues I think could be discussed too, that would probably warrant the Max label, then again Thor the Mighty Avenger and Pet Avengers tends to sneak in a few adult jokes, so maybe those things can be neatly covered in his normal books. 
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty
@SC: I'm not into Marvel Noir either.  I'm sure the 'pulp' versions are very good, but I've limited space & budget so the non-continuity stuff doesn't stand a chance with me. 

I think the fact that X-Women actually sold proves that there is a market to see beautiful female characters in demaning & overly sexualised situations.  It's sad that people actually wanted to see that.  I often forget about it, but even if I'd remembered it I definitely would not recommend that to anyone, let alone a kid.
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sora_thekey
@xerox-kitty said:
" It didn't even occur to me until this morning that we never even thought of the Comics Code Authority.  We talked about the current ratings on comics, but not the CCA.  D'oh! "
The CCA is no longer in use for Mainstream Comics so that's why I didn't bring it up. I thought about it though. Maybe another time.

@SC: like it was mentioned, Spider-Man's best stories are darker in nature but they don't need to be overly sexual or even gore-y. Grim Hunt is a great example for that. The story was probably one of the darkest stories since Back in Black and it didn't require gore or sex. It had blood, but not gore.
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SC  Moderator
@sora_thekey said:
"@SC: like it was mentioned, Spider-Man's best stories are darker in nature but they don't need to be overly sexual or even gore-y. Grim Hunt is a great example for that. The story was probably one of the darkest stories since Back in Black and it didn't require gore or sex. It had blood, but not gore. "

My express point though isn't about trying to make the best stories, but good stories for characters. Thor's best stories arguably aren't when he is riding around on a baby Beta Ray Bill for example, but because it is so different, and almost a subversion from the original intent of the character, it works really well. Spider-man doesn't need darker more adult stories, but no character needs any sort of story, A good writer and a good artist working to those conditions in the same way a good writer and a good artist sets about doing an expressly child friendly take on a character though? With Spider-man, I think they would have a lot of character material to build off. I am not requesting gore or blood, specifically. 
soundbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By soundbite

You'd be hard pressed to find gore and sex that isn't gratuitous. If you have something extreme that relates to the story, there are always way to draw and write it without it being in one's face.  It doesn't have to be up close and personal.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SC  Moderator
@soundbite said:
"You'd be hard pressed to find gore and sex that isn't gratuitous. If you have something extreme that relates to the story, there are always way to draw and write it without it being in one's face.  It doesn't have to be up close and personal."

Therein lies the appeal of it being done right surely? Like to contrast with a baby Thor riding on a baby Beta Ray Bill. He got the MAX treatment as well, and it was pretty gratuitous, lol, yet if that character actually realistically hits another guy with his war hammer, its going to be gory, it doesn't have to be up close and personal, but in the same sense, that could apply to everything. Surgeons could use fluffy soft names to describe cutting into people to fix organs? Or what if the point of the story is to be extreme. I mean some ideas can be written to be more disturbing than disturbing ideas played with a camp vibe.  

Anyway I agree with your sentiment, I think alternatively there are always ways to write suicide, drug abuse, sex, nudity, tastefully and with purpose. I mean if they did a story where Spider-man was re-imagined as various ways that extend beyond what we know, a black Spider-man, female Spider-man and a homosexual Spider-man he might end up being Max just for that. lol
soundbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By soundbite
@SC said:
" Or what if the point of the story is to be extreme.  "

That story would be gratuitous to me.  Making something extreme for the sake of being is extreme is no different than webforum trolling IMO.  It doesn't become about a story or entertainment rather than garnering a cheap reaction.  Don't get me wrong, I still think you can tackle extreme, but you don't have to show it.    

Take Braveheart for example.   When it's towards the end of the movie and William Wallace is strapped to the table and they're taking instrument after instrument and putting them in his Haggis, not once do you see anything actually happening, but you do see the reaction of Mel Gibson's character while it's happening.  You're able to get the idea, and the director still gets his reaction.
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SC  Moderator
@soundbite said:
" @SC said:
 That story would be gratuitous to me.  Making something extreme for the sake of being is extreme is no different than webforum trolling IMO.  It doesn't become about a story or entertainment rather than garnering a cheap reaction.  Don't get me wrong, I still think you can tackle extreme, but you don't have to show it.     Take Braveheart for example.   When it's towards the end of the movie and William Wallace is strapped to the table and they're taking instrument after instrument and putting them in his Haggis, not once do you see anything actually happening, but you do see the reaction of Mel Gibson's character while it's happening.  You're able to get the idea, and the director still gets his reaction. "

Nooo, you misunderstand me, not being extreme for the sake of being extreme. What if the point was an topic that just was inherently extreme. Genocide, intimate look at suicide, rape, child abuse?  

Sure, in that scene (Braveheart), but look at many other parts of the movie, which had has much if not more physical violence, blood and gore, lol, the final scene in Braveheart was meant to be more emotional, and it was for our protagonist, not some random mook. In that case torture could be implied. I mean and even then, to go with the extreme of your argument (not saying yours is an argument, but why show the tools used for the torture? In fact they could have played safer with the scene and decide to go with blank audio? You still arguable get a "good" scene out of it. 
soundbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By soundbite
@SC said:
" @soundbite said:
" @SC said:
 That story would be gratuitous to me.  Making something extreme for the sake of being is extreme is no different than webforum trolling IMO.  It doesn't become about a story or entertainment rather than garnering a cheap reaction.  Don't get me wrong, I still think you can tackle extreme, but you don't have to show it.     Take Braveheart for example.   When it's towards the end of the movie and William Wallace is strapped to the table and they're taking instrument after instrument and putting them in his Haggis, not once do you see anything actually happening, but you do see the reaction of Mel Gibson's character while it's happening.  You're able to get the idea, and the director still gets his reaction. "
 Nooo, you misunderstand me, not being extreme for the sake of being extreme. What if the point was an topic that just was inherently extreme. Genocide, intimate look at suicide, rape, child abuse?   Sure, in that scene (Braveheart), but look at many other parts of the movie, which had has much if not more physical violence, blood and gore, lol, the final scene in Braveheart was meant to be more emotional, and it was for our protagonist, not some random mook. In that case torture could be implied. I mean and even then, to go with the extreme of your argument (not saying yours is an argument, but why show the tools used for the torture? In fact they could have played safer with the scene and decide to go with blank audio? You still arguable get a "good" scene out of it.  "

I think we're on the same page, but we're saying it different.  I have no problem with people tackling extreme subjects, just how they do it visually.  And yes, I know the rest of Braveheart wasn't done the same way, I was merely mentioning that isolated scene as an example. 
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xerox_kitty
@SC: @soundbite: If you get passed the Braveheart example, it looks like you both agree that you don't want gratuity... ;) 

@sora_thekey said:
"The CCA is no longer in use for Mainstream Comics so that's why I didn't bring it up."
I know, but it's as relevant as the so-called ratings on the cover to comics these days.  Once upon a time, a comic would never have sold if it didn't carry the CCA logo on the cover.  It's very existence was because of gory horror comics that parents mistook for 'kids stuff'.  It would have been o apt to discuss it, or even just mention it... but I just can't believe I didn't even think of it at the time...
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SC  Moderator
@soundbite:  Yeah I sort of figured as much too lol, still, its a great discussion, with some nice depth to it, and I was enjoying the points you were making ^___^
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xerox_kitty
@soundbite: @SC: I think you both would have been better in this roundtable than I was ;)
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SC  Moderator
@xerox-kitty:  Oh I wanted to reply to your comment too, I just needed to find some scans of Uncanny X-Men with Pixie and Emma being physically thrown around with the goofiest expressions on their faces to draw a parallel to that other X-Issue. Real frustrating. I actually don't have many qualms with the X-Woman issue, give its market and how it would have been received where it was intended, it just sucked in Marvel's supposed year of Woman, the X-Men, really, really could have used a 616 in continuity mini or one shot with those same characters, Storm, Rachel, Kitty, Psylocke, and Rogue getting up and going on an adventure maybe written by Carey, or Yost? Art by Choi? His art is eye candy too lol, anyway if I was in charge of Marvel, and there was demand for that book elsewhere i probably would have made it Max.  

Oh and Xerox Kitty, you are a fountain of comic knowledge and info and maybe this relates to adult comics subject, but do you know much about the Max Rawhide Kid series? I only am lightly aware of the controversy surrounding it, i heard some opinions and articles stating it was only Max due to the homosexual nature of the content. I also heard it was pretty OTT as well anyway so deserved the Max rating anyway. I was always curious about the circumstance there.
Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok I loved the discussion and kinda just saw the first one in passing but read all of this one. First thing I wanted to say was to Psyentist 

The Psyentist: I guess it's just a stereotype. It's a little ironic since these stories are created, written, and drawn by adults. Possibly the fantasy element. Very imaginative. Superheroes are sometimes seen as role models. But they can be so much more.

Axe Cop is a book that is written by a 6 year old kid, just thought you should know that. 

Then I wanted to agree with Xerox-Kitty 

xerox-kitty: Only if it calls for it. Sometimes it seems that extreme sex & violence is thrown in for shock value. Like when Marvel MAX was first launched, the first issue of Alias sold out because rampant hormones were excited at the prospect of seeing an established super hero having anal sex with the lead character.  I'm not interested in shock value. Alias went on to be a good series, but I demand decent characterization & plot... Not pointless gratuity.

I am a huge Deadpool fan and when i picked up the first Deadpool MAX I completely hated. It wasn't funny, it wasn't good, you hardly even saw Deadpool in it. It was the worst thing I have ever read. (I also hated that Bob was getting raped in it, but that was more personal). 

As far as Comics being for kids, they definitely no longer are, but the major companies are definitely trying to make their bigger titles interesting to people of a younger age. One More Day was caused because they wanted to make Spider-man more relatable to teenagers. Wolverine used to be a wild and crazy animal, now he's been house broken. It seems like Marvel especially wants to get people of all ages to read all of their books, which the only way they can do that is to tone down the loved characters that the older fans like and then by doing that making them angry about what was done, and dropping the book. This obvious to me with my favorite character Noh-Varr in his first Mini-Series he writes something very crude with the streets of New York. I didn't like him as much on the Dark Avengers (mostly cuz he was treated like he wasn't that big of a deal), but I did like how they did his relations with Moonstone. He walked into her room, they cut to some action, then back to them lying in bed, nothing seen no harm. Now that he is the Protector though he really isn't the same person, he kinda lost all of the abilities that made him interesting and i doubt the next person to write him will bring them back up. 

As for books that are kid friendly and would be a good read for a child I would probably have no problem letting my younger cousins (i think the oldest is 10) reading certain Deadpool books, his recent stuff hasn't been necessarily bad or vulgar, just an odd book and I can't see why they wouldn't enjoy it and why their parents would be mad at me for letting them read. (Maybe should rethink Deadpool Corp what with the naked blue chick under the waterfall).
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xerox_kitty
@SC: I wish I were a fountain of all comic knowledge, but I only know what I like.  But as for Rawhide MAX, it sounds like they were trying to cash in on Brokeback Mountain.  No wonder he was calle Rawhide ;p 

@hydrabob: Ouch!  Poor Bob!  I get the feeling that the Deadpool MAX hadn't proved as popular as Marvel had hoped.  First it was meant to be an ongoing, then it was a maxi series of 8 issues.  sounds like even the hardcore Deadpool fans aren't happy with 'hardcore' action. 

You're right that comics aren't for kids anymore, but I still get the impression from non-comic reading friends that they think it's still kids stuff.  If the movies can't break down those misconceptions, then what can?
thegreatfour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thegreatfour
@hydrabob: O_O Bob got what?!
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox-kitty: I only read the one and will not read another. It wasn't really even a Deadpool book you saw Bob in it about 3X as much as you saw Deadpool, then when you did see Deadpool he was hardly talking. It was just a complete an utter disaster. 

Well TV shows are on more than movies and with Marvel Superhero Squad out, which is definitely only intended for children it will be hard to make comics seem like they are for anyone else but kids. The movies would need to do something big to show people that comics aren't for kids the Batman movies seem to be trying, but don't seem to want to rock the boat enough to make anything actually happen.
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegreatfour: Well they didn't show it (which if they did someone would have been hurt), and they didn't call it rape, but he was having sex with a very large Mop member and it was not something he wanted to do.  

Another thing I hated about it was that Bob never wore his costume and in fact was actually in his underwear for most of the comic.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xerox_kitty
@hydrabob: Another example of 'shock value', but they lost a lot of their core audience by trying those silly shock tactics.  After all, who wants a silent Deadpool?  They tried something experimental, but by going against the successful formula Marvel lost sales on that title.
hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox-kitty: yeah I see what your saying 'shock value' can go good if done right. It's when they do something that is just completely out of someone's character that people have a problem with it. I also didn't like Deadpool Pulp, cuz he wasn't really a talker in that one either (only gave it one shot to though). They do need to bring in stuff they can't just do the same thing over and over, cuz thats when you start to lose interest and start going somewhere else. House of M and Civil War are pretty good showings of this, they did something that hadn't been done before and kept everyone in character.
midnightmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By midnightmare

Adult themes don't need gore, nude or profanity. Remember strasinsky's Supreme Power and Squadron Supreme?

SP was a MAX tilte and have nudity and bad language, SS hasn't any and the themes were the same, the two titles were part of the same story. Besides i don't thing many teens of pre-teens would like those issues.

It's like Pinky and the Brain, there was suposedly a kids show, but many of the episodes centered or made references to subjets  that children wouldn't find interesting.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sora_thekey
@xerox-kitty said:
" @sora_thekey said:
"The CCA is no longer in use for Mainstream Comics so that's why I didn't bring it up."
I know, but it's as relevant as the so-called ratings on the cover to comics these days.  Once upon a time, a comic would never have sold if it didn't carry the CCA logo on the cover.  It's very existence was because of gory horror comics that parents mistook for 'kids stuff'.  It would have been o apt to discuss it, or even just mention it... but I just can't believe I didn't even think of it at the time... "
That is true. When I wanted to bring it up I was going to mention the "Harry does drugs" topic but we were running long as it was already!

@xerox-kitty said:
" @soundbite: @SC: I think you both would have been better in this roundtable than I was ;) "
While I do agree that soundbite and SC would make a great addition to the roundtable *wink* *wink* I noticed something from this one in particular. You and dan seemed more in touch with your "child-selves" while Psy and lazy knew their stuff around the adult themes. I think we made a really good group! (Not kidding about the addition of soundbite and SC. You guys should join in the future!)
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By xerox_kitty
@sora_thekey: Yeah, we were definitely looking at it from two extremes, but in the clear cut world of adult vs kids comics, I'd rather take the kids comics any day.  I still like the more mature stories, but they're just no fun.  Not compared to the stuff that's actually aimed at kids.   

I'd say that the majority of super hero titles (Spidey, X-Men, etc) fall into a middle ground.  It's not too gritty or violent, and isn't too cutesy or zany.
sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sora_thekey
@xerox-kitty: If you think about it, most of us like that middle ground! ;)
soundbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By soundbite
@sora_thekey:
I have no problem doing a roundtable.  Just keep in mind, I haven't read a new comic book in over 10 years and barely read the blackest night via graphic novel.  I can talk concepts and philosophies, or give me a heads up where I can do a little research.
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By Final Arrow

You all need a slap if thats the only kid and Adult comics you came up with... 0_O I am shocked at you XK you should have been dropping some hefty bombs in this one, Constantine, Desolation Jones, Preacher.. It's like you guys just touched on the edge of the subject and never really got into the gritty stuff, mature comics are not something to fear, this had the potential to be epic and lead to a very interesting debate/read, but it never packed the power of the punch. But still a bit of fun and a light read in the afternoon, it's still cool beans everyone.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sora_thekey
@Final Arrow: They did talk about Preacher (and I think they talked Hellblazer) but I had to edit out a few stuff cause this was getting too long.
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By xerox_kitty
@Final Arrow said:
"I am shocked at you XK you should have been dropping some hefty bombs in this one, Constantine, Desolation Jones, Preacher.. "
You're "shocked" at me?  Don't be so ridiculous.  I've never been a fan of so-called mature titles which pandered to the violent desires of teenaged boys & 20-something males.  Therefore I've stayed away from titles like Constantine & Preacher, and have never pretended to be anything but a spandex & manga fan.  I've read some 2000AD titles in the past, but very few people would have been able to related to that & I didn't want to waste my time explaining who Halo Jones or the ABC Warriors are.  We already had Psy & lazystudent singing Alan Moore's praises so I opted to recommend Fables & Cowboy Ninja Viking instead.  "Shocked" at me?  I'm shocked at the insinuation that I should be anything but myself.
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Final Arrow
@xerox-kitty said:
" @Final Arrow said:
"I am shocked at you XK you should have been dropping some hefty bombs in this one, Constantine, Desolation Jones, Preacher.. "
You're "shocked" at me?  Don't be so ridiculous.  I've never been a fan of so-called mature titles which pandered to the violent desires of teenaged boys & 20-something males.  Therefore I've stayed away from titles like Constantine & Preacher, and have never pretended to be anything but a spandex & manga fan.  I've read some 2000AD titles in the past, but very few people would have been able to related to that & I didn't want to waste my time explaining who Halo Jones or the ABC Warriors are.  We already had Psy & lazystudent singing Alan Moore's praises so I opted to recommend Fables & Cowboy Ninja Viking instead.  "Shocked" at me?  I'm shocked at the insinuation that I should be anything but myself. "
lol Maybe now im shocked at me, I don't think that Constantine panders to violent desires but perhaps that is because you have not read as much as myself, My mistake I thought myself and you had held a rather lengthy conversation about these titles in the past. With that reply I realize I am mistaken, Enjoy your spandex. 
CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CATPANEXE

I can only note the hat-tip to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles by lazy student, and that the TMNT franchise clearly proves that there is no true limit to the various levels
of content that work, being its been both the black, white and all shades of gray (literally as well, hey now you people are making me punny, but i digress).
*Edit to elaborate better:
I think that when all is said and done, at the end of the day comic books are nothing more nor less than just another artistic and entertainment medium, and
like any other, literature, paintings, music, movies, on and on, they are just a blank tapestry with which one puts there dreams onto, and not really ever subject
to any form of limitation, as art with limitation is not art at all, whereas art is everything and is for everyone.
Personally, when it comes to comic books themselves, the content doesn't matter to me, not one bit. Its the quality of the work and the entertainment value
that do whether its an adult or all ages venture, whereas schlock or sugar just for the sake of it likewise doesn't trip my individual trigger, at least not in a 
lasting fashion whereas I will come back for more.

Great article and great cast of users for it!