Wild Western: The Red Fog #2

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By batkevin74

Continued from #1: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/wild-western-the-red-fog-1-1655877/

No Caption Provided

10th Jan 1857, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas Territory

“Are you simple boy?” yelled Sherriff Abraham Wallace as his son Eli cowered.

“I’m sorry Pa!” he wailed as the Sherriff slapped him hard and often. Eli yelped at each blow until he curled into a protective ball.

“Enough Abraham,” Clemens said who watched on. “No point shutting the gate once the horse has bolted.”

“Git!” yelled Wallace at Eli who crawled away like startled dog. The Sherriff took out a handkerchief and wiped his eyes, brow and hands. “Stupid boy. Takes after his mother.”

Judge Clemens nodded in agreement. “Now Abraham, you’re going to tell me everything about this Red Fog character.”

The Sherriff nodded as he took a seat at his desk, pulling out a jug of cider and two tin cups. “Best be taking a seat Horace.”

"Eliza Fogg was evangelical royalty. Her great uncle thrice removed was the preacher David Brainerd who ventured out to the Delaware Indians to convert them to the ways of the Lord. Her father was a reverend, her mother a reverends daughter. Religion was in her veins. The Bible her weapon. And she believed it was her mission to spread the word to the godless savages who were now being moved onto reservations.

No Caption Provided

It was here she met Bear-On-The Hill, a Cheyenne brave, who was quite taken with the blonde haired, blue eyed preacher’s daughter who spoke her mind. Though they could barely understand one another, it became clear they were speaking a language that didn’t require words. In the late spring of ‘32 Morgan Fogg was born, or as his father called him Red Bear. For nine winters Eliza and Morgan lived with Bear-On-The Hill before she had to return to Massachusetts. She vowed to return but fate had other ideas when the gold rush in California brought cholera to the Cheyenne and Bear-On-The-Hill died in agony in 1849 having never seen his son grow into a man.

When Eliza died in 1850 full of regret and heartache, Morgan was accepted into West Point Military Academy but when his heritage was revealed he was unceremoniously booted out though one of their top cadets. He returned to Kansas Territory to a less than welcoming reception from the Cheyenne. Not truly accepted by his tribe nor fitting into the white man’s world he took whatever jobs he could find; mainly ranching and mustering. He’d attempt to be part of his father’s tribe but the Indian Removal Act was being enforced and the tribe was scattered to reservations across the territories. Whilst travelling about he noticed a man, Willard Crisp, from a wanted poster and confronted him.

The fight was brutal and short with Morgan emerging victorious. He hauled the dead man back to Texas to collect the bounty and from there began working in a very loose arrangement with the Marshals to collect bounties for them. In the three years he’s been at it, he has collected nine bounties with only two dead. His nickname of the Red Fog was coined by some surly Dutch trappers and it stuck.

Asides from being half Indian he’s viewed with suspicion as he’s a southpaw. He’s smart, strong and a man of his word."

Judge Horace Clemens sipped his cider as he listened to Sherriff Wallace account of Morgan Fogg. “And you know all this how?”

No Caption Provided

“Former Marshal before getting elected as Fort Leavenworth’s sheriff,” said Wallace as he downed his cider. “He’s good at what he does but he’s….”

“Uppity!” snapped Clemens. “Like them coloured folk.”

Wallace nodded in agreement as he poured himself another cider. He started on the judge’s cup when Clemens pushed him away. “That will do for this evening Abraham. Best I be headed home, work out how to deal with your redskin friend.”

18th Jan 1857, Jefferson City, Missouri

“I hear you’re man who knows his way around these parts?”

Morgan raised his head to peer out from under his hat. Before him stood a man who had no place in a saloon, a Chinese.

“You speak pretty good,” said Morgan as he returned to his napping. “For a Chi-nee.”

No Caption Provided

The sound of metal hit the table causing Morgan to glance back up at the sack of Spanish dollars. Morgan tipped his hat back and looked at the little yellow man in blue pyjamas standing before him. Slowly he reached out when the Chinaman snatched back up the sack.

“What do you want?” asked Morgan as he kicked a chair out “And sit down before someone stabs you.”

The Chinaman bowed and took a seat. Morgan could feel the extra stares on them, bad enough he was half Indian but sitting with a Chinaman was asking for trouble.

“My son has gone to Fort Smith and not returned.”

Morgan shrugged “Smith’s about three hundred miles south.”

“It was two months ago,” sighed the Chinaman.

“Fort Smith’s pretty wild,” Morgan said “But I think I know why you’re asking me and not that big German in the corner.”

“Many of...your people were moved there,” said the Chinaman.

“So you think just because I’m part Indian, I know all other Indians? Is that what is going through your tiny little rice brain?” Morgan argued.

“Yes, and because no one else will even listen to me.”

Morgan stood up “Dead or alive?”

“He’s my son,” The Chinaman gasped.

“Doesn’t mean you don’t want him dead,” Morgan replied as he noticed the German and his two friends heading their way. “Hand me the bag and head for the door.”

“So you will do this?”

“Yes, yes,” snapped Morgan as he motioned for the bag. “Come on you…never mind.”

“Guten tag!” bellowed the German as his beard rippled from the soundwaves of his booming voice. “Is zis little rat bozering you?”

“Just discussing mining tips.” Morgan replied as his hand slowly, gently, drifted towards his sidearm.

“Is zat so?” The German nodded stroking his beard.

Morgan watched as they were encircled by the trio. “We’ll just be going.”

“Zat vill not be happening,” laughed The German as he drew a hatchet from his belt and almost absentmindedly cleaned his nails with it. “Hand over ze bag.”

The Chinaman defiantly stuffed the bag of coins up his flowing sleeve and folded his arms. Morgan shook his head “You know who I am?”

“Nein!” The German replied as his smile evaporated and swung the hatchet to split Morgan’s head in two. Quicker than anyone could react the Chinaman grabbed the offending wrist and flipped him onto the ground. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, Morgan punched the nearest man in the face sending him reeling back before launching at the second. The fight was frenzied as Morgan took on the pair whilst the Chinaman seemingly defied logic by holding the German on the floor by simply touching his wrist. Before it got out of hand Morgan drew his gun and held it against the forehead of one making the other stop.

“We’re leaving,” Morgan panted. “You follow us and I WILL put a bullet in you.”

The Chinaman released The German who cradled his arm like a baby. Slowly Morgan Fogg and his Asian companion backed out of the saloon into the street.

“Money!” Morgan barked as he watched the saloon door. The Chinaman handed over the bag.

“There is thirty more when you return my son,” he said. “I am most grateful.”

“How am I going to know it’s him? You all look the same.”

The Chinaman handed him a small scroll. “He will know when you show him this.”

The German stormed out of the saloon’s double doors and Morgan fired, the bullet sinking deep into his right thigh. He squealed and curled into a ball.

“I warned you!” growled Morgan. “Next one goes through your head!”

Morgan mounted his grey mare and rode off as a pair of eyes from the upper room of The Dirty Spur across the street watched his exit.

17th Jan 1857, Jefferson City, Missouri

Frank Waterman gulped down another of Doctor Jensen’s whiskey as he lay on the bed in The Dirty Spur. Doctor Jensen took the bottle off him, had a swig himself before securing the leather strap around Waterman’s hand and the bedpost of the bedroom. He tied Frank’s other hand to the other bed post.

“Why both hands?” slurred Frank as the doctor pushed a wooden bar into his mouth.

“Because you’ll try and hit me,” replied Jensen as he took another swig and brought up a bone saw from his doctor’s kit. Frank gasped and started to thrash so Doctor Jensen promptly sat on him. “Your hand is gangrenous from the bullet wound. If it doesn’t come off it’ll rot your entire body. You know this.”

Frank nodded vigorously as he clamped down on the bit with his teeth. Doctor Jensen splashed some whiskey on the hand before starting to saw off the festered right hand. Waterman thrashed like a bucking bronco.

“FOGGGGGGGG!” he roared through the gag as the doctor sawed through the bones and tendons, blood seeping into the white sheets.

To be continued in #3

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic-8/wild-western-the-red-fog-3-1656499/

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Coolio, let me know what you think. You should also throw your hat into the writers ring

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Okay, a few things. The gold rush in California brought cholera to the Cheyenne? You have them in the Kansas Territory (btw, that's Kanzas on the map you posted, although that's the first time I've ever seen it like that), which is halfway across the country. Granted, people moving West from the East could have passed through the KT and left cholera in their wake, but it wasn't clear if that's what you were saying happened.

Next thing is: his father is a chief in the KT, and his mother is from Massachusetts, but he's accepted to West Point in New York? Not impossible, but I was wondering how that happens. Not strictly necessary to the story, but it was a curiosity, as you're all over the map.

Nice bit on the Red Bear name. It kind of makes Red Fog a blending of his Native American and European American names, although clearly the coining of the name was a racial slur thing.

Last thing: when the sheriff is explaining to Judge Clemens, all of that should be in quotes- quotation mark at the beginning of each paragraph in that section, and one at the end of the last paragraph of that section. It shows that all of that was spoken.

I like when you write off of research. It comes off really well.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Coolio, let me know what you think. You should also throw your hat into the writers ring

Is there a group PM? If so, add me, please. Maybe there's a way for me link Johnny Smokers into it.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: According to the Wicked-pedia :) As the gold rush in California kicked off, thousands swept across the US to strike it rich. But as the did they brought "white man" diseases and it devestated the Cheyenne people in the 1840's. The Cheyenne had spread throughout Kansas Territory and in the 1830's had been moved along and about under Indian Removal Act of 1830 which is part of The Trail of Tears.

Now the Fogg's are a well travelled and well known preacher royalty. Eliza had her calling and travelled to Kansas to educate the savages and fell in love. She then returned home to round out her son's white education, which included West Point where her father and grandfather had studied before following the Lord.

You're probably right about the explanation of Morgan's back story needing quotation marks

As for the map, straight from Google when you type in USA map 1857 :)

I'll add you to the PM and you can pitch your idea to @turbinail

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: Cool, that history makes sense, and I figured that's what you were saying in the story, but it wasn't completely clear. As for the PM, I still have to decide if it will work, and if I have time to write it. I barely have time for CCC and Guild. :/

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

You have a very interesting set of characters here, Batkev.

Good stuff and I especially enjoyed the Eliza Fogg origin scene/flashback.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

again really well done here

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@batkevin74: Wow that guys not so much a doctor as a butcher. And it looks like Fogg has a deadly rival already

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Did some reading on medicine through the ages and doctors were pretty much guessers. Some stuff was brutal due to limited understanding and resources but it worked. More people died of sickness in the Old West than from gunfights

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@batkevin74: Yeah medicine up until the 1920s was as brutal as the things they were trying to cure. Still this guy seems extra maniacal.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@batkevin74: I'm starting to like some of the campy elements in this, like how he has his own sidekick (the Kato to his Green Hornet), and how each issue has ended with Fog pissing somebody off. It sort of reminds me of the end of the Flinstones when Fred would lock himself out of the house and shout WILMAAAA!!! xd

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: I was actually trying to end each one with that "signature" send off. You really can know a man by the calibre of his enemies

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cbishop
batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

I hope he gets a hook for a hand.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wim_Garnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By Wim_Garnet

Great backstory! And I also like how no character, including Morgan, is immune to some part of the racism rampant in the culture at the time.

Thanks!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Aw jeez Waterman’s having a pretty bad day. Poor guy, get the feeling he’s going to be coming back for revenge in the future which could make for an interesting villain. I like the quest that you’ve got Fogg embarking on and am looking forward to seeing where it leads.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tommythehitman: Those who cross the Fog often...I got nothing clever to finish my “quote”. Glad you’re enjoying it