Avatar image for bearded_justice
Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bearded Justice

Ted Kord, the Blue Beetle, watches as Power Girl and Wonder Woman do combat with Solomon Grundy, a giant zombie.  Without another thought, Ted draws his weapon, a nonlethal gun with several settings.  He moves at a quick pace towards Grundy, firing multiple air shots at his foe.  Each concentrated blast hits its target, setting the undead off balance.  Solomon shoots a look at Ted, acknowledging his presence.  Ted gulps, and enters the fight.
 Pieter Cross, Dr. Mid-Nite, is blind.  Yet, he can see certain light spectra that normal humans cannot.  He adjusts his goggles and reaches for a blackout bomb. Circling the brawl, like a vulture, he waits for the perfect time to strike.  His chance arrives, and he tosses the bomb.  It envelops Grundy in a black fog.  For the moment, he is blinded, like the doctor.  At this, the four companions team up on him.  They time their powerful attacks.  Each hit angers and weakens Solomon. He twirls in his own daze, causing massive havoc.  His huge arms damage anything in their path. 
 Wonder Woman equips her lasso.  She throws it over Grundy, catching him in the loop.  Her muscles strain to contain him.  She tightens her grip and yanks hard.  Solomon Grundy, with a loud thud, falls to the floor.  He lets out a bellow, calling to his master, who is close by.  Wonder Woman proceeds to hog tie the zombie.  His struggle is in vain, and he is soon immobilized.
 “And... that's that.” Power Girl says, dusting off her hands.
 “Power Girl, you should not have participated in that fight!” scolds Mid-Nite.
 “Yeah, yeah.  Lighten up Doc.” she quips, but then keels over.  Doctor Mid-Nite rushes to her side.
 “We need to get her out of here.” he says, with urgency.
 “No.  Not until I talk to Lex Luthor.  Speaking of which...” Power Girl nods to the elevator and at the sight of Lex Luthor, sitting in his wheelchair.
 Luthor slowly claps and chuckles.  His strength is low, due to cancer, so the clapping is weak.  He grins, with an evil look in his eyes.  His voice is raspy, as he speaks, “Well, that's it.  You.. you've beaten me.  Me, the diabolical Lex Luthor.  Me, who has climbed so high, over the years, but is now so low in my chair.  I didn't think superheroes had time for me anymore.  Me.  My old age. My... cancer.”  Luthor tries to stand, but cannot.  He squirms and grunts, and continues, “Ha, me.”
 “Luthor, where is Superman!?” Power Girl attempts to shout.
 “Superman.  Where is Superman?  I'm to know?  Girl, I have less important things to do, than to keep an eye on... Superman.” answers Luthor.
 “What does that mean?!” Power Girl yells back.
 “Lex, tell us the truth.  Do you know where Superman is?” Wonder Woman asks, with compassion.
 “Oh, Wonder Woman.  Why don't you use the lasso on me?  Tie me down.  Beat it out of me.”  Luthor grunts and laughs.  “Ahhhh.  No, I don't know where Superman is.  Nor do I care.  I'm dying, Wonder Woman, and did he come to see me?  Did he even send a card?  No.  After all these years, my nemesis won't send me a card. Won't even tell me his name!” 
 Lex, you're the only one who has Kryptonite--” starts Wonder Woman.
 “Kryptonite!?” Luthor cries, interrupting Wonder Woman.  “Do you want some Kryptonite?  Please, help yourself!  Take all the damn Kryptonite!  Then, you can look like me.  That pretty face.  That perfect body.  That sense of... of justice, and right, and wrong.  Like me.” he finishes.
 “Mr. Luthor, I'm Dr. Mid-Nite.  Maybe, if I take some time... I could cure you.” Mid-Nite says, softly.
 “Forget it, doctor.  There's no cure.” Luthor replies, quietly.
 “I'm sorry, Lex.  I'm sorry I haven't been to see you.  I didn't know, you know?” Wonder Woman apologizes.
 “Yeah, sorry, man.” Blue Beetle says quickly.
 “Well, I'm not sorry!  Whatever happens to you, it's not good enough.” barks Power Girl, as she moves towards Luthor.  Dr. Mid-Nite aids her walk.  “I don't know what you did to Superman, but I'll find out.  And, I'll kill you.  Don't ever doubt that.”  Power Girl begins to fly.  She heads for the elevator, and enters it.  “I'll be outside, when you're down with this villain.”  she says, as the elevator closes.
 “What's with her?” asks Luthor, with a chuckle.
 Dr. Mid-Nite sighs, and answers, “Doctor/patient confidentiality.”  He looks at Blue Beetle and motions for him.  “Beetle, let's go.”
 As Blue Beetle and Dr. Mid-Nite leave, Wonder Woman begins again, “Really, I am sorry, Lex.  I've been thinking about things, lately.  Superman.  Batman.”  She flinches.  “The things I told them, and didn't tell them.  Oh, God.”  Wonder Woman drops to her knees and sobs.  Luthor, looking awkward, moves his chair to her.  He reaches out and rests his hand on her head.  He sheds a tear, as he wipes away her tears.
 “Superheroes don't cry.” he states, simply.
 “Not in public.” she grins. 
 “Wonder Woman, if I knew anything, I'd tell you.  Don't worry about him. He's Superman.”
 “No, it's not him.  It's Batman.  I miss him so much.  It hurts, Lex.  I think I loved him, and I don't know why.  It's just that... the men in my life.  I mean, when you get to a certain age, you want things.  You need things.  A husband, a house...”
 “Children?”
 Wonder Woman nods and stands.  “Children.  Oh, Lex.  God, I'm sorry.”
 “Don't worry about me.”
 “Thank you.  Ha, they're probably waiting for me.  I'd better go.”
 “Yes.”
 “I'll come by.  I'll tell Superman to come by.”
 “I'd like that.”
 Wonder Woman approaches Solomon Grundy.  She unties him and moves for the elevator.  She turns around and looks at Lex, before entering it.  “Keep an eye out for him.” she says.
 “If I see anything, or hear anything about Batman, I'll call you.” he answers.

Two days later.
 Metropolis, in a small apartment.  Wonder Woman invades a man's privacy.  She investigates Clark Kent's home.  She figures that it's been long enough for this. Though her heart is with Batman, her thoughts are on Superman.  People are beginning to become seriously worried, especially Power Girl.  Diana Prince, Wonder Woman, has already accepted his death.  Not that she knows he is dead, but she suspects it.  To her, it's the only explanation.
 She enters the apartment and flicks on the lights.  Her immediate thoughts are how clean the place is.  She never expected Clark to be such a neat freak.  Was he?  How would she know?  She's not the best detective in the world.  A clue could pass right over her head.  She wishes Batman were there.
 Nothing seems out of place.  Nothing looks suspicious.  There are no giveaways, like blood on the floor or overturned furniture.  Diana checks the kitchen.  She checks the bathroom.  She checks the bedroom.  Her search isn't extensive, due to her fear that Superman could fly in through the window, and catch her snooping.  However, her curiosity gets the better of her.  She begins looking through Clark's photo album.  It starts with the photos of his childhood.  She sees his parents and his home.  There aren't many photos to look at, though.  After the first two pages, all the photos are of Clark and Lois.  Diana marvels at how happy they seem.  Then, she comes across photos of Clark and Power Girl, but without their costumes.  She wonders if Clark revealed his identity to Power Girl.  It's possible.  They were like family.  Power Girl never called him Clark, though.  But, then again, she wouldn't.  Diana is confused.  She thought that she was the only one left, who knew Clark's identity.
 Diana puts the album away.  She turns all the lights off and makes sure the apartment is just as she found it.  Her mind is still wondering about Power Girl.  Were they really that close?  It would explain why Power Girl is so eager to find him.  She has to talk to Power Girl.  Diana takes one last look at Clark's clean apartment.  She leaves, and locks the door behind her.
 The JSA brownstone, New York City.  Power Girl and Dr. Mid-Nite are conversing in the infirmary.  Dr. Mid-Nite is lecturing on safety and health, while Power Girl rolls her eyes at him.  Suddenly, Wonder Woman enters the room.  She looks at Power Girl, and waits for Mid-Nite to finish.
 “Hello, Wonder Woman.  What can I do for you?” asks Mid-Nite.
 “Nothing, doctor.  It's Power Girl I'm looking for.  Girl talk.” Diana says.
 “Ah.  Well, I'll just examine the results of the tests we did, Power Girl.” Dr. Mid-Nite excuses himself.
 “What is it, Wonder Woman?” Power Girl questions.
 “Power Girl... Karen.  My name is Diana Prince.” Diana sighs, with relief.
 “Nice to meet you, Diana.  I was wondering when we'd be introduced.” Karen jokes.
 “Ha, yeah.  It was rude of me not to tell you, when you revealed your name to me.” continues Diana.
 “No, I get it.  You're Wonder Woman, and I'm Power Girl.  You have a past. You have people to protect.  I don't.  I could tell everyone my name, and it wouldn't make a difference.” Karen states, sadly.
 “Hey, that's not true.  A secret identity is something to hold onto.  It makes this all seem... funner.  You know?  More dangerous.”
 “Exactly!  I mean, I get enough stares with the costume on.  I don't need them with it off.  Course, they still stare with it off.” Power Girl laughs.
 “Karen, I need to ask you something.  Did Superman tell you his name?”
 Power Girl pauses before answering, “Yes.  Why?  I mean, I told him mine and he told me his.  I didn't expect him too, but he did.”
 “It's okay, Karen.  I just wanted to know who else knew.”
 “Why?  What's wrong?  Did you find... Clark?”
 “No, but I was at his apartment.  There was nothing.  No clues; no nothing. All I saw was the photos of you and Clark.  That's why I thought he told you his name.”
 “Oh, yeah.  I forgot about those.  I didn't know he kept them.”
 “He cares about you, Karen.”
 “And I care about him.  I really do.”
 Dr. Mid-Nite enters the room.  He sees Wonder Woman is still present and attempts to be discreet.  He quietly speaks to Power Girl, “If you want to know about the tests?”
 “Oh, sure!” Power Girl answers him, loudly.
 “I... ah,” Mid-Nite fumbles as he mumbles, “I thought you wanted to keep this between you and me.”
 “Well, I did, but since me and Wonder Woman are being so open about things.” Power Girl explains as she winks at Diana.
 “What?  What's all this about?” Diana asks.
 “Power Girl is--” begins the doctor, but Karen coughs at him.  “Oh, of course.  Go ahead.”
 Karen smiles at Wonder Woman, who grins back.  Power Girl holds her stomach and states, happily, “Wonder Woman, I'm going to be a mommy!”
 Diana is speechless.  She can only look at Karen, in amazement.  Diana tries to speak, but she only stutters.  Finally, the words form.  “Power Girl, that's wonderful!”
 “I know!  I'm so happy!  In a few months, I'll have a little baby boy, or girl.” Karen says with glee.
 “I've been monitoring her progress, and so far, no problems.” Dr. Mid-Nite explains to Wonder Woman.
 “Isn't this great?  A baby, Wonder Woman!  A baby!” cries Karen, giddily.
 Diana sports a puzzled face, and she asks, “But, who's the father?”
 “Well...” starts Power Girl.     

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ComicStooge
I bet it's Bat-Man's baby!