Avatar image for bearded_justice
Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bearded Justice

“For those of you who are just now joining us, I will repeat: a bomb has detonated in what was once Gotham City.  Earlier today, the government detected a massive explosion, originating in the center of Gotham, now referred to as No Man's Land.  The military do not think this was an attack on the U.S., and believe that the bomb was fired from somewhere within the country.  This has worried many Americans.  Extremists are declaring that terrorists have infiltrated our nation and are firing upon our cities.  However, this reporter asks, 'Why, Gotham?' Surely the terrorists would have picked a better target.  Though the loss of thousands of lives is tragic, it seems miniscule.  Everyone knows that Gotham was abandoned, after being struck by a record-breaking earthquake.  It was even said that not one innocent soul had remained.  So, why not bomb Metropolis?  Why not Hub City?  It's because this is not terrorists' attack.  I say there's something else to this.  Someone isn't saying what they know.  An accident?  No, not an accident; not that big.  I don't know what happened, but I guarantee there has been some foul play.        
 In the wake of this disaster, it is assumed that the vigilante, Batman, is dead.  The blast covered all of Gotham, even reaching to Wayne Manor, one mile outside of town.  Batman's death couldn't have come at a worse time, though. Superman is still missing, and this is only another blow for the JLA.  Not only will they be searching for a lost comrade, but will also be mourning one.  This is Vic Sage saying, 'We'll miss you, Batman.'”

Metropolis.  Arguably, the greatest city on Earth.  Its shining towers look down on the people.  They look down on Diana Prince, Wonder Woman.  She is having lunch with a friend.  Her friend is worried, and needs consoling.  Her friend is Lois Lane.  Lois quietly sheds a tear and wipes it from her glowing face. 
 “Don't worry, Lois.  He'll call.  He's probably just out of town.” Diana says, attempting to comfort Lois.
 “Diana, I see him everyday!  I think he'd say if he were going out of town. I'm really scared.  What if something happened to him?” cries Lois.
 “Oh, you know Clark.  He can take care of himself.  I doubt if he's hurt. Maybe he's just really sick.” Diana continues to console.
 “And maybe he just doesn't want to see me.  Maybe this is way of breaking up with me.  I don't think I could take losing him, Diana.” Lois continues to sob.
 “Well, have you been to his apartment?” asks Diana.
 “Yes.  He gave me a key about a month back.  There was no sign of him.  It's like he's vanished.” answers Lois.
 “Huh.  No blood or anything?”
 “What?  Why would there be blood?”
 “Just thought maybe he was injured and had to go to the hospital. Ha, sorry for giving you that thought.  I'm telling you, he's out of town and forgot to call.”
 “You, you really think so?”
 “Yeah.  Happened to me lots of times.”
 “Did that guy you mention ever do that?  What did you say his name was?”
 “Ah, you mean Frank?  No.  Things didn't... well, they didn't work out.  I guess he wasn't as interested with me, as I was with him.”
 “Oh, I'm sorry.  You'll find someone, Diana.”
 “Yeah, there's plenty of...”
 Diana is cut off by her phone.  It rings loudly, from within her purse.  She retrieves it and says, “Excuse me, Lois.”  Diana talks on her phone for a moment, then turns her attention back to Lois, and slowly states, with a look of horror on her face, “Lois, someone has bombed Gotham.”
 “What?!” Lois nearly shouts.
 “I... I have to go.  I'm sorry, Lois.” replies Diana.
 “Oh, ah, what's happening?” questions Lois.
 “I don't have time to explain.  I'm needed at work.” Diana answers, and begins to run away from Lois.  She looks back once, and yells, “I'll call you!”  

The JLA satellite.  A meeting of heroes is taking place.  Only the JLA and JSA have been invited.  The groups are united by one woman who is taking charge, Wonder Woman.  She stands firm and unafraid, or so it seems.  Her words sound certain, and everyone is listening.
 “Ladies and gentlemen, we have a severe problem.  Superman is still missing and Batman is presumed dead.  As you are all aware, someone bombed Gotham, earlier today.  The government isn't saying anything about it.  Blue Beetle has informed me that our computers know nothing as well.  According to Mr. Miracle, this bomb was untraceable.  He says that no one could detect it, and must be a highly advanced weapon.  We need to find its source, if we can, and bring the person responsible to justice.  So, I'm assembling another team, in addition to the Superman search teams.  That reminds me.  Green Lantern, anything to report?” Diana speaks.
 Alan Scott, the Green Lantern of the JSA, steps forward and says, “No, Wonder Woman.  My team has found no signs of Superman.  I'm beginning to believe the rumors.  That he, like Batman, maybe dead.”
 “No, that's not possible!  Nothing can kill him!” Power Girl shouts.
 “Look, we all know he has weaknesses, Power Girl.  It's possible.” continues Green Lantern.
 “Nothing, but Kryptonite, can harm him!  Same with me.” Power Girl shouts some more.
 “Please, Power Girl, we're all upset.  Just calm down.” Diana says.
 “He was also vulnerable to magic.  I've seen him and Captain Marvel duke it out before.” Wildcat states from a corner.
 “Bah, magic!  What the hell is so great about magic?  Me and Supes could take any magic moron, with our eyes closed!” Power Girl answers Wildcat, showing some anger.
 “Guys, I have other things to do.  I'm all for looking for Superman, and mourning for Batman, but let's make this fast.” an annoyed Green Arrow blurts out.
 “You?  Have better things to do?” chuckles Hawkman.
 Green Arrow grinds his teeth and fingers his bow.  He starts for an arrow, but Power Girl interrupts him, yelling, “Shut-up, both of you!  If we're just gonna stand here and bicker, then I'll go hunt for Supes by myself.”  She speedily walks away from the group and leaves the room.
 “Uhh, I'll go talk to her.” Wonder Woman sighs.
 “Heh, probably that time of the month, eh?” Wildcat whispers to Hawkman.
 “Take her advice, Wildcat, and shut-up!” snarls Diana as she passes him, to intercept Power Girl.
 Power Girl weeps in the other room.  Her blond hair sparkles in the light, and shields her sad face.  Wonder Woman enters and approaches her.  Power Girl quickly wipes away the tears and turns to face her friend.
 “He's dead, isn't he?” she cries.
 “What?  No.  No, nothing can hurt him.  You said that, yourself.” Diana consoles.
 “I know, but... there's always that chance.  I mean, all you really need is some Kryptonite.” Power Girl continues to cry.
 “I know you and Superman were close, Power Girl, but we have to stay strong.”
 “Yeah.  Can't let the guys see me like this, huh?  Had to run out of the room in a huff.  Can't let them know that I care.”
 Wonder Woman is struck by Power Girl's statement.  For a moment, she sees Batman in front of her, like he was yesterday.  “No, believe me, it's okay.  You know?  You don't have to hide your feelings.” she tells her sobbing friend.
 Power Girl looks at Wonder Woman and smiles.  She begins to speak, but collapses to the ground.  She moans and holds her stomach.
 “Whoa?!  Power Girl?” Diana exclaims.  She looks back to the other room, and cries out, “Dr. Mid-Nite, come quick!”
 “No.  No, Mid-Nite!  I'm fine.” Power Girl demands, after standing up.
 The entire JLA and JSA run into the room, with Dr. Mid-Nite at the head of the pack.  He sees that Power Girl is in pain, and rushes over to her.       
 “Power Girl, don't move.  I'm going to give you...” Dr. Mid-Nite begins, but is pushed aside by his patient.
 “I said, no.  Sorry, Doc, but it's my body.  And the rest of you?  Well, what are you lookin' at?” complains Power Girl.
 The crowd shrugs their shoulders and heads back into the other room.  Doctor Mid-Nite lags behind.  When everyone has left, he gives his medical opinion, “There's something wrong with you.  Let me help.  I promise full doctor/patient confidentiality.”
 “Yeah, whatever.” Power Girl mutters, but the doctor isn't satisfied.  He clears his throat.  Power Girl sighs and continues, “Okay, I'll come see you tomorrow.  Happy?  Now, will you let the ladies finish their talk?”
 Dr. Mid-Nite smiles, and turns away.  The minute he leaves, Diana questions Power Girl, “What's wrong, really?”
 “Really?  Nothing.  Supes is just... he's getting to me.  All this worryin' about him has me nauseous.  Me and him are like... well, we're like...” Power Girl stumbles for the right words.
 “Brother and sister?” Diana asks.
 “Yeah, family.  We're like family.” replies Power Girl.
 There is a bit of a pause between the two.  They wander over to a window, and gaze into space.  Power Girl is thinking of Superman.  Wonder Woman is thinking of Batman.  They each love a dead man, and know it, in their hearts.
 “Well, I need to back to the others.  I can only imagine the rumors they're starting about you.” Diana says.
 “Yeah.  Go ahead.  I need some more time.” answers Power Girl.
 “Oh, one more thing.  I haven't announced it, but I'm looking for volunteers to go see Lex Luthor.  You in?”
 “Count me in.  Oh, when I get my hands on him!  If anyone did anything to Superman, you know it was Lex Luthor.”
 “If anyone did anything.”
 Diana slowly walks to the other room.  She wonders what really happened to Superman.  She's concerned, but not as concerned as she should be.  Her mind keeps going back to Batman.  Was his death just a coincidence, or was he the real target of that bomb?  She addresses the JLA and JSA.  More heroes are recruited to interrogate Luthor, and more are put on the Superman search parties.
 Power Girl still stands by the window.  She still looks out into space.  She still thinks about Superman.  What if he's really dead?  What will become of her? Has she lost the person closest to her?  She cries some more.  Her head lowers, and the tears fall on her chest.  No one is around, and she still covers for her reputation.
 Many miles away, Lex Luthor sits in his wheelchair.  His bald head is shiny, but wrinkled.  He is ravaged by cancer.  A cancer brought on by Kryptonite.  There is no cure for him.  He simply sits, and waits for his death.  He has no heirs.  He has left no mark on the World.  No one will remember him when he's gone.  He sits, quietly, and laughs.       

Encrypt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Encrypt

very nice. i've read all 4 of them so far. they're great.

Avatar image for bearded_justice
Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bearded Justice
@Encrypt said:
"

very nice. i've read all 4 of them so far. they're great.

"

Well, thank you.
warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By warlock360

Can only conlcude to the second poster.