Bearded Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bearded Justice

Three Days Later
 “A woman was mugged today, in Metropolis.  Mugged and shot.  Shot and died. There was also a fatal car crash, in which an entire family was killed, along with three robberies, five shootings, and one freak accident involving a jackhammer. These are the tragedies that took place in Metropolis, today.  They are tragedies that could have been stopped.  If only that drunk driver were going five miles slower... if only the store clerk hadn't pressed the alarm... if only Superman were there.  Yes, the reports are true: Superman is missing.  The world's most powerful man has gone on vacation.  Or at least, that's only one of the various theories put forward.  Is he off saving the world?  Is he being held captive by some insane super-villain?  Or, did he just get lucky with a few ladies? 
 This marks the third day he failed to show up to do the boy scout routine. Perhaps he simply tired of the superhero life.  It seems we've always taken his presence for granted, and now we are lost without him.  I'm sure some of you are wondering why I'm making such a fuss over a few lives.  People die everyday, whether Superman is around or not, but what if an alien race invades us?  Who do we rely on, if not Superman?  The JLA?  They have yet to even issue a statement on all this.  It doesn't give me confidence.  This reporter isn't satisfied, and won't be until The Man of Steel returns.  This is Vic Sage saying, 'Where are you Superman?'

The JLA Satellite, space.  The place is packed with so many, heroes that half of them can't even move.  Fliers are hovering in the air and the mood is tense. It's like a school assembly, before a teacher takes the stage.  The children talk louder and louder.  They even group like children.  The Justice League on one side of the room, with The Justice Society on the other, and everyone else is one their own.  Heroes have traveled far for this meeting.  For some, it's an unusual journey.  For others, it's barely noticeable.  Finally, a teacher approaches the children.  She is Diana Prince.  She is Wonder Woman.
 The men turn their heads and quiet themselves.  Some of the women roll their eyes.  She's stunningly beautiful, easily comparable to Venus.  Her hair bounces and flows as she walks.  The armor on her chest shines brightly; it sends a message.  She is a goddess, a symbol, an idea.  Her pursuit of justice inspired half the people in the room to be who they are.  They know her as Wonder Woman, but think of her as a hero.
 “Thank you all, for coming.  I know this was a bit sudden, but we may have a crisis on our hands.  I've called the JLA and JSA here together, for one reason. Ladies and gentlemen, Superman is missing.” she says with authority, and a few gasps arise from her audience.  “He hasn't contacted any of us in three days.  I'm sure you're all worried, as I am, so I'm asking for volunteers for a search party.”
 “He can take care of himself!” someone calls out.
 “Yeah!” another agrees.
 “Please,” continues Diana, “this is not something to joke about.  How many times has he saved each of you?  And how many times were you there for him?”
 “Hey, Beetle went head to head with Doomsday, and I seem to recall sticking my neck out for him once or twice!” shouts Booster Gold.
 “Booster, c'mon.  Sshhh!” scolds The Blue Beetle, in a whisper.
 “What?  It happened.” Booster replies.
 “Now's not the time.” Beetle explains.
 “As I was saying, we need to form several search groups.  They can each only be comprised of a few people, as we cannot spare too many heroes with Superman gone.  I'll lead one group, and I've asked JSA's Green Lantern to command another.” Diana nods to Alan Scott as she speaks.
 Suddenly, and with force, Batman enters the room.  Everyone stops what they were doing and stares.  He begins to move toward Wonder Woman, through the massive crowd.  Heroes clear a direct path for him and nearly throw themselves to the floor, so that he may walk on them, as if he were a messiah.  His cape drags behind him like a bride's dress. 
 “Hey, Ted, it's Batman!” Booster Gold says to his friend, softly.
 “Yes, I see him, Booster.  Try not to make eye contact.” answers Beetle.
 “Oh, I just want to get a better look.” Booster states, taking a step forward, as Batman passes.  Of course, he fails to notice that his foot rests on Batman's cape, and it rips, loudly.  “Heh... oops.” mutters Booster.
 Batman stops in his tracks, turns around, and approaches Booster.  His stare could paralyze a charging bull, and he's putting it to use on Booster Gold.  He looks at his torn cape, then back at Booster, who gulps.
 “I hope you can sew.” Batman growls, and he heads back towards Wonder Woman.  Booster sighs and lets out a low chuckle.
 “Ah, Batman, perhaps you'd like to say a few words, instead of terrorizing these people?” Diana asks.
 Batman stands next to Wonder Woman and narrows his eyes, as he peers out into the crowd.  He growls some more before saying, “Go home, all of you.  There's no emergency here.”