waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Boom goes the dynamite

"Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... THE GLORY GUARDS!"

The audience roared and the cameras flashed, as five men and women stepped out of the gate to the white house where the press conference were being held. Four of them in costumes. The fifth was a soldier.

It was a big day. It was the first official reveal of the Glory Guards, the very first US sponsored team of superheroes. America finally had a team ready for all those big supernatural crisis that seemed to happen surprisingly often.

Frank Martin, the director of the Superhuman Agency who presented the team to the press went on. "These brave heroes have sworn to take on any threat that no one can face alone. The Eagle, Techno, Ms Victory and the Hooded Hunter. They will be led by Captain Will Johnson, their government liaison as well as their fearless leader. They may be a small group, but they have been handpicked for their outstanding talent and incredible powers."

"This is totally the best day of my life, EVER!" Ms Victor raised her arms in the air, as she and her team mates received applauds from the spectators. Tears of joy ran down her domino mask.

"You are an embarrassment to your sex..." Techno mumbled for herself. Because of the helmet that was part of her armour, no one could see that she rolled her eyes.

"I just want this to be over with..." Captain Johnson pretended that he had to cough, so he could hide the groan. "I hate this kind of PR %¤&£."

"Finally, something we can both agree on." The Eagle made a small smile.

The Hooded Hunter didn't say anything. She just studies her teammates. Figuring out ways to kill them, once the time was right.

Six months ago...

The secret service agent on duty outside the entrance to the Oval Office ran a DNA test on Frank Martin. In these times where shapeshifters had become a reality, you couldn't be too careful. Once they had finished the tests, they opened the door, allowing the director to enter. Inside, behind his desk, sat the president of the United States of America, waiting for him.

"Thank you for your time, Mr President."

"Your welcome, but I'm afraid you are wasting your time. The idea about making a government sponsored team of superheroes is not new. Your predecessor tried, but he couldn't gather a big enough group. All the superheroes says that they are too busy to commit to a team, or that they have no interest in working for the government."

"I am aware of that, Mr President. But... we happen to have a large group of super-human assets at our disposal. And I can assure you, sir... they have PLENTY of time. And they would be more than happy to join the, as I have decided to call the team; the Glory Guards."

"Isn't that name... a little too much on the nose?"

"That's the idea, Mr President."

"And who are these heroes you talk about? Please don't tell me that one of them is the Hanged Man."

"Mr President." Frank Martin placed the folder he held in his right hand on the table in front of President Schwarzenegger. "Who said anything about HEROES?"

The president opened the folder. In it was a photo of...

"... Captain Hawk?!" President Arnold Schwarzenegger looked at Martin, wondering if this was some sort of sick joke. "The air-pirate Captain Hawk?!"

"We need a team of superhuman agents who can fight threats that the military can't. I can arrange that. By offering some of these super-villains to knock sometime of their sentences, we can make them work for society instead of against it. Some of them might even get to like the idea of being heroes and turn a new leaf. And if some of them dies on a mission, well... then we will have one less dangerous superhuman to worry about. In the prisons around the country, we have some of the most dangerous men and women behind bars. I suggest we use their potential instead of letting them waste our tax money and tearing the prisons apart whenever they escape. Mr President, if this turns out to be a disaster, then I will take the full responsibility. I know this may seem insane, but... We need a strike-team to protect our country against alien invaders and monsters. Please consider this proposal, sir."

The President looked through the papers. He most of all just wanted to say no, but... he hated to admit it, but the idea weren't half bad.

"I shall... think about it"

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

@waezi2: No problem, you didn't have to include my dynamite quote BTW

Still not sure what your referencing too when you said something about familiarity

AdmiralLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Well, you know...

A team of villains, dressed up as heroes... sounds kinda familiar, right?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: Nope doesn't ring a bell at all

Now if you excuse me I have an issue of Sensational Songbird to write...
Now if you excuse me I have an issue of Sensational Songbird to write...

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: I got some of the old school Thunderbolts comics today. Issue 1 to 12.

It was actually pretty good!

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2: Yeah that reveal at the end of Issue 1 still sends a shiver down my spine

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By waezi2

@impurestcheese: I can only imagine what it must have been like for those who read it for the first time back in the 90's. Now THAT'S a plot twist!

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@waezi2: As I read, I was expecting a jaded bunch of heroes that had grown to hate each other, but that Thunderbolt-twist was nice. Wasn't expecting that. Nice. :)

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Oh, they hate each other(except for poor Ms Victory), but I will get to that in tonight's chapter.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#13  Edited By cbishop

@waezi2: No, I mean more in the way the heroes hated each other in Jupiter's Circle. They were still heroes, but had the normal petty emotions that us mortals have, so had reasons to despise each other over time. I thought that's what was happening here, until the twist. Looking forward to the next one. :)

AdmiralLogic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good stuff again. Little too early for me to say HOW good an idea, but I like the concept...I was thinking it sounded a little more like Suicide Squad then Thuderbolts though. I agree the last page of Thundebolts #1 was bad ass.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good stuff again. Little too early for me to say HOW good an idea, but I like the concept...I was thinking it sounded a little more like Suicide Squad then Thuderbolts though. I agree the last page of Thundebolts #1 was bad ass.

I never read Suicide Squad, only seen that one episode of JLU with them. Would you recommend the comics?

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, the ones I initially read were from the mid eighties, so I'm not sure how they'll stand up. I know I liked them. The more recent series was pretty good until they all got to be about Harley Quinn, so yeah, the first 13 or so would be worth a read. If you wanted to, you could probably get the first 20 or so of the old series for like 50 cents a piece online.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Well, I love old comics, collect them, actually. And Harley.