batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By batkevin74

Based on the actual historical siege of Rhodes, more info here

Continued from Virtutem Dei I, II, III& IVand the medieval-esque pictures come from the talented Denis Medri

No Caption Provided

1480AD City of Rhodes

Piotr Rasputin charged across the battlements and was soon at the tower which was being choked with Moorish soldiers. He looked up to the sky and made the sign of the cross.

“THE LORD HAS BEEN MOST GRACIOUS WITH HIS GIFTS!” And he leapt towards the Germanic lightning thrower Maximillian who was directing the attack.

Antonio Rigidio entered the tower, sword in hand to help in the defence. Wave after wave of godless heathen charged at them. The sandy floor was slick with blood and gore; and the defenders were losing in the violent clash. His armour was in bad shape. He swung his sword as his eyes looked around before concocting a plan in his mind.

“Fall back!” cried Rigidio.

“What?” cried the tower captain, and in that brief moment of distraction got a scimitar to the head which took his scalp off like a popping champagne cork. The man collapsed, his attacker laughed and pressed on. Rigidio tossed his sword aside, stepped forward and fired bursts of superheated steam and electricity from his spluttering armour into the man which killed him in dramatic fashion. He continued his solo assault which made a brief buffer as they tried to steer clear of the mechanical man. “FALL BACK!” He yelled

Rome

No Caption Provided

Stefano, the captain of the Papal Guard, charged up the stairs with Bartolomeo in his arms. The boy was nearly dead, bleeding all the way from Naples to Rome despite the bandages. Pope Kurt accompanied by his aide Banner hurried to them.

“Summon Brother Joshua from the cloisters,” Kurt said as Stefano laid Bartolomeo on the floor. “We will need his golden touch this day.”

“Your Holiness,” Stefano bowed his head.

“Ceremony be damned Stefano,” said Kurt firmly. “What has happened?”

“Bartolomeo brings word from Rhodes,” Stefano said. “But he is not long for this world.”

Bartolomeo coughed, almost derisively “Not dead yet…my Captain.”

Kurt smiled and begun the Last Rites as a precaution “You bring word from Rhodes.”

Bartolomeo nodded “En Sabah Nur.”

“The apocalypse!” gasped Kurt like his heart had attacked him from within.

“They…need a miracle…” and Bartolomeo’s eyes rolled back in his head.

Rhodes

No Caption Provided

“On whose authority to do pull MY men back from battle?” screamed Captain LeBeau into Antonio Rigidio’s face.

“None but my own Captain,” replied Antonio as he looked his superior in the eye. It wasn’t a look of defiance or arrogance but steadfastness. “And it is working.” He pointed to the new internal fortification and moat that had been built. “By sacrificing a limb…”

“The body is saved,” muttered LeBeau as he surveyed the site “Good work Antonio.”

Piotr brought his hands up to deflect the lightning bolt. It had little effect on his metal form but it prevented him from getting close to engage his enemy.

“Why won’t you die!” screeched Maximillian as he hurled yet another bolt of lightning.

“Seems the Lord does not wish to call me home yet,” he laughed.

No Caption Provided

Sir Percy and Jacques DuQuesne traded sword blows in an impressive display. Everyone gave them wide berth as the two honourable knights faced off. If one stumbled due to the terrain or the chaos of the larger battle around them, the other patiently waited. A Moorish cannon exploded sending Percy flying one way and his sword in another. Jacques retrieved the ebony weapon and returned it to its rightful owner before they continued.

“You honour me sir,” Percy commented as he shook his ears from the ringing and bowed slightly as he took his weapon back up.

“You zeem to be zee only honourable man in zis holy war,” replied Jacques as he raised his sword. “Are you ready?”

Sir Percy nodded and the fight began again in earnest.

Rome

“It seems I will be travelling to Rhodes,” said Pope Kurt to the assembled cardinals. “It was never my intention to returning to my warrior days but it seems the Lord has other plans. I leave Warren,” he pointed to the top of the Basilica as the winged mutantis hovered down. Kurt had suggested the dramatic entrance to cement his words playing upon the angelic form. “In my stead. If something happens I put forth my wishes that Warren be installed as my successor.”

He rose from his Papal chair slowly, helped up by Banner and Stefano. “How is the boy?”

“Recovering,” replied Stefano. “Brother Joshua’s golden touch has worked miracles.”

“Good, good.” Kurt smiled “Now if I remember correctly Rhodes is about three days by fast horse and ship in a south east direction.”

“What are you doing,” asked Banner as he clutched at Kurt’s arm before remembering his place “Your Holiness.”

“We are to Rhodes Banner,” Kurt said. “Are you two ready?”

To be finished soon I hope...

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

@batkevin74: Oh wow been waiting for another issue of this to come out. One minor gripe though Rhodes is an Island not a city, other than that another slice of great BK produced work.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@batkevin74: Ah okay, thinning about it from a modern viewpoint, my bad

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#5  Edited By cbishop
batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: No wrapping up. Too many loose end stories floating about. Time to finish a few dozen things, this being one

@time_phantom been a while between chapters

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wim_Garnet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ahh, I see the answer to my shield question in the illustration. Fun stuff, but I'm not sure a Pope would name a successor with any confidence that the college of Cardinals would elect that person because he said so.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cbishop

@batkevin74: Did you jump back in time a little with the Maximillian scene? Because you'd already had Antonio come in with Max's head, in a previous chapter.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cbishop: Complete and utter f^(% up on my part...will have to fix that or put in some time travel to correct it

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batkevin74: I think with some very minor tweaking to the scene, you could save it with an "Earlier..." caption- like you're showing what led to Antonio taking Max's head. Why that would be necessary in the story is another question entirely.