• 69 results
Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I will start this by saying this came from a conversation with Nighthunter about advertising the Fan Fic section and Xerox Kitty actually having to make a separate thread to highlight the rating rules that are already outlined in the thread Methos put up over an age ago as no one was paying attention too.

All this got me to thinking... do we need to maybe re think/re work the Fan Fic section?

We did that in the RPG section, we added and took from the rules that were originally created and we built on it and added in threads that are important to the area and gave it all a tighter picture.

I am not saying I should be the one to do this, simply encouraging the active Fan Fic users to perhaps get together and rethink how we do things in the Fan Fic section.. do we need to re think:

• The rating system
  • The basic who we can write about and who we can't, perhaps we need to do some research into which authors allow or do not allow Fan Fics
  • Have a more current user put together the thread Methos originally started and tighten it up a bit?

Or anything else ya'll think we need or do not need in here and who do you think is the most prominent Fan Fic-er right now who could put this together?

Also what ways can we get the stories in here a bit more prominent to other users and the site? Do we need to get the staff to be more frequent in highlighting the stories? or what?

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By CellphoneGirl

Good idea!  

I feel that it'll be a really good idea for a few people to do research on the authors part.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mercy_

I nominate Typing Kira to head this project up ;p

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Mechanical_Ape
@The Dark Huntress said:

Seconded! She's already does a great job maintaining things around these parts. I'm sure she would have good ideas about what is already good and what could be improved.
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By TypingKira

LOLXD!!!!! 

@.Mistress Redhead.: This is a great idea and I agree that it's time to tighten up ship. The guys on the RPG forum always seem to know what's going on and it's so neat and tidy over there. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

My big problem with the fan fic section: Barely anyone reads it, and most great fan fics never get any attention. 

Someone needs to do something about that. Nighthunter has the right idea. We need to keep following on a rout like that to get people into fan fics.  

short rant over.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Mechanical_Ape said:
@The Dark Huntress said:

Seconded! She's already does a great job maintaining things around these parts. I'm sure she would have good ideas about what is already good and what could be improved.

Thirded! As someone that is a very quiet observer of many great fan ficts. 
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TypingKira
@primepower53 said:
My big problem with the fan fic section: Barely anyone reads it, and most great fan fics never get any attention. 

Someone needs to do something about that. Nighthunter has the right idea. We need to keep following on a rout like that to get people into fan fics.   short rant over.
Well that's one reason to fix up the fanfic section -- more views. It's kind of a jungle up in here, I dont' really blame people for being scared off.  And besides this place isnt' really about lots of views, it's about having fun.  

But you are right about Nighthunter's idea, he did have the right one. 
-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By -Eclipse-
@primepower53 said:

Someone needs to do something about that. Nighthunter has the right idea. We need to keep following on a rout like that to get people into fan fics.   short rant over.

I know I don't read any, lol, unless someone I know tells me to :P 

Unless you spend a lot of time in the FanFic section, you're not going to notice every good new FanFic. Plus, they take time to read. Similarly, I don't check the Artist section very often, but they get around that with their contests, which are pinned to the top, and I always check up on. Maybe the FanFic section could do something similar? A group of different FanFic contested that regularly get pinned and unpinned? 

Or, alternatively, make a request to the staff for either a regular feature about FanFics on the front page, or something similar to the Featured Review at the bottom of the home page. Something to get FanFics more recognised.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This may be a stupid idea, (not even sure if it's possible) but I've encountered the flood protect warning waaay. To many times. I'm not sure if you mods or staff can fix the flood protect warning, but if they can, it could clear up fan fics and allow people to contain their stories in one thread, so as to get rid of some of the clutter.  

Not sure if it's possible, but if it is, I think that would reeeaaaallly help.

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TypingKira
@-Eclipse-: I think before we start worrying about spotlights and stuff, we should worry about fixing up the forum itself. Work on our rules and our rating system like MR said. Plus I think we need a pinned review tab for readers and to help our writers, reach out to the RPG guys. 
-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By -Eclipse-
@TypingKira

<--- is an RPG guy :D

Like I said, I rarely visit this section (or any section other than RPG xD) so I don't really understand what's wrong with it, just throwing some ideas into the pot :)
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TypingKira
@-Eclipse-: Holy crap, it's an RPG guy! This is working already!!! There are a lot of good writers in the RPG section, and you guys already did this so that's why I was thinking about reaching to you guys. 

@The Dark Huntress said:

Me? Oh, look, a distracting thing. . . *scurries away*  

I think a mod should head it up.  
Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

I don't think there is anything really wrong with this section, there are just some things that could use some improvement or focus. I guess the hard part is trying to decide how much is too much or too little.

-Eclipse-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By -Eclipse-
@TypingKira: LOL, well if anyone but Mistress Redhead has posted it I probably wouldn't have even noticed it... xP 

I guess that's a good idea, but in my experience RPGers tend to get themselves involved in writing so many different RPGs at once, few of them have time to write a FanFic on the side. Still, both sections are basically about writing, so there kinda should be more communication between the two.
Avatar image for ghostrider_fan1
ghostrider fan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ghostrider fan1

Hmm, this is a good idea, although i really only think that the rating system needs to be changed, but ill think about it as well

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Project_Worm

I think a Re working of the Fan Fic section would be... BRILLIANT!

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Nighthunter

I have a few ideas. 

• I've been saying it for awhile and like Primemaster I don't even know its possible, but if any section deserves to have the 2 post limit cleared its this one. Its frustrating when someone wants to continue doing their work and can't because they already posted twice.
  • A clear rating system and have it as a rule to have it in H2 at the beginning of the original post and/or in the title.
  • No limitation to one creative area. This is the only fan-fic site that isn't focused in one franchise or universe. You can write stories about any character and that is something unique that we should take advantage of.
  • Bring back the fan-fic contest with more than one person guiding the charge so that if/when they leave or get busy someone else can keep it going and there isn't any idea burn out.
  • Keep stories to a single thread. No offense to the people that do it but I seriously think that the story "__________" should be written in a single thread in order to keep it simple. Seriously it is easier to follow it this way and keeps the section more organized and gives the opportunity to have more stories in the front page.
  • Here's an unwritten rule that we should be applying, but its only a recommendation. Be supportive. Most people get let down because since no one comments they think that no one is reading their stories, fact is that their stories are likely being read. If you read someone else's fan-fic and liked it leave a small comment to congratulate them or give them criticism. Talk to other people about it, recommend it. 
  • Do a weekly fan-fic version of the magazine thread. Highlight the rising stars, the veterans that are kicking ass, the best new and old fan-fics, make reviews, interviews, etc. Create the much needed buzz
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TypingKira
@Nighthunter said:
I have a few ideas. 

• I've been saying it for awhile and like Primemaster I don't even know its possible, but if any section deserves to have the 2 post limit cleared its this one. Its frustrating when someone wants to continue doing their work and can't because they already posted twice.
  • A clear rating system and have it as a rule to have it in H2 at the beginning of the original post and/or in the title.
  • No limitation to one creative area. This is the only fan-fic site that isn't focused in one franchise or universe. You can write stories about any character and that is something unique that we should take advantage of.
  • Bring back the fan-fic contest with more than one person guiding the charge so that if/when they leave or get busy someone else can keep it going and there isn't any idea burn out.
  • Keep stories to a single thread. No offense to the people that do it but I seriously think that the story "__________" should be written in a single thread in order to keep it simple. Seriously it is easier to follow it this way and keeps the section more organized and gives the opportunity to have more stories in the front page.
  • Here's an unwritten rule that we should be applying, but its only a recommendation. Be supportive. Most people get let down because since no one comments they think that no one is reading their stories, fact is that their stories are likely being read. If you read someone else's fan-fic and liked it leave a small comment to congratulate them or give them criticism. Talk to other people about it, recommend it. 
  • Do a weekly fan-fic version of the magazine thread. Highlight the rising stars, the veterans that are kicking ass, the best new and old fan-fics, make reviews, interviews, etc. Create the much needed buzz
All these things for sure! But to add to the fifth bullet -- I don't really think that will keep it simpler -- and can in fact make it more daunting. I totally understand your reasoning, but as someone who has a long running fic, where the chapters are easily 2000 words long, maybe we should add a length limit to chapters as well. The numbered chapters published individually can make it easier for a reader to keep track of where they are.  

But you are right, and all of these things are great ideas :D  
Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Project_Worm
@TypingKira said:
@Nighthunter said:
I have a few ideas. 

All these things for sure! But to add to the fifth bullet -- I don't really think that will keep it simpler -- and can in fact make it more daunting. I totally understand your reasoning, but as someone who has a long running fic, where the chapters are easily 2000 words long, maybe we should add a length limit to chapters as well. The numbered chapters published individually can make it easier for a reader to keep track of where they are.   But you are right, and all of these things are great ideas :D  
These Ideas are great especially bringing back contest because that is how I got attracted to the Fan-Fic section. Also the whole Do a weekly Fan-Fic magazine sounds real nice. that being said i have to agree with Kira about having stories on one thread. I would also like to add that at least to ME it makes it harder to know when a new part to a story has come out instead of going through each story and checking I could just scroll down and find a new thread.... but then again I might just be being lazy :p
Perception

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Perception
@Nighthunter said:
I have a few ideas. 

Awesome. Words of wisdom. 
sentryssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sentryssj4

We could work on fixing the Fan-Fic section... OR we could just host a systematic take over of the RPG section.. xD

TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TypingKira
@sentryssj4 said:
We could work on fixing the Fan-Fic section... OR we could just host a systematic take over of the RPG section.. xD
XD, I'll fetch the pitchforks and bring the chips! 
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TypingKira
@Project_Worm: The one thread story works out for some, and all threads are posted at the top if they've been added to.  

As for the contests, that would be fun! And the magazine would be awesome!
Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Nighthunter

Thing is, some people post more frequently than others. Some great fan-fics can be missed in the mist of having 5 new threads for the same story, also making it look like there isn't enough variety. 

Some of what has made the rpg section better is that its more organized. You only need two threads for your story, the story itself and the ooc. They are easy to find and are in a single spot. 

Also I say no to length limit in a chapter, some stories are told better in a single post as opposed to various. And what if you find yourself in the middle of a genius stroke and have to stop just before you passed your length limit, or have to go to the next chapter and thus cutting all of the momentum of that one

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Project_Worm
@TypingKira:  
Yeah, see that's probably where the laziness comes in, because without checking I cant tell if they added to the story or just replied to a comment. 
sentryssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sentryssj4
@TypingKira:  
Allright!!... now I just have to focus on actually getting a story written down...
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primepower53 said:

This may be a stupid idea, (not even sure if it's possible) but I've encountered the flood protect warning waaay. To many times. I'm not sure if you mods or staff can fix the flood protect warning, but if they can, it could clear up fan fics and allow people to contain their stories in one thread, so as to get rid of some of the clutter. Not sure if it's possible, but if it is, I think that would reeeaaaallly help.

This is one issue that I wish to speak to the staff about, RPGers find the same thing and its not fair, Fan Fic'rs have to basically wait on comments before they can post, which is unfair.

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CapFanboy
@.Mistress Redhead.: I think we should have a thread set up that is pinned and contains all the new fan-fics. so that everytime you post a fan-fic you send the link and the starter of the thread would update it everyday or week. Then, when people get bored and want to read a different story they just click on that thread and find out what's new!
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CapFanboy said:

@.Mistress Redhead.: I think we should have a thread set up that is pinned and contains all the new fan-fics. so that everytime you post a fan-fic you send the link and the starter of the thread would update it everyday or week. Then, when people get bored and want to read a different story they just click on that thread and find out what's new!

That's a bloody brilliant idea! If you want to make the thread and compile what we already have, I will pin it!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure if I understand that idea. So basically everyone posts their new fan fics there so everyone's fan fics are all in one thread? I'm not sure I understand.

What I think you're  saying is: If you were to post a thread where your fan fic is, I could post my fan fic in the same thread?

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By CapFanboy
@primepower53: no, what I'm saying is, I start the thread that a compilation of all fan-fics that only I or very few people would comment on that would go something like this 

Week from 20th June - 26th June 

Fan-fic - Author 

Midguardian Ch. 13 - TypingKira  
Golden Guardian Ch. 1 - CapFanboy 
Ultimate superman #3 - primepower53 
Freaks episode 1111- The Impersonater 

And then in the post afterwards 

Week from 27th June - 3rd of july 

...-... 
CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CapFanboy
@.Mistress Redhead. said:

@CapFanboy said:

That's a bloody brilliant idea! If you want to make the thread and compile what we already have, I will pin it!

Glad you think so! I'll start now!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, I see. BRILLIANT!

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CellphoneGirl
@CapFanboy: Amazing idea!
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TypingKira

@CapFanboy said:

OH-FREAKIN'-MAZING IDEA!  

That's why we love him ^^
CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CapFanboy
@TypingKira said:

@CapFanboy said:

OH-FREAKIN'-MAZING IDEA!   That's why we love him ^^
You guys love me? D: Revelations!
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CapFanboy: And if needed I can edit the OP and add new things, so users are welcome to PM me their links when they post new stuff and I can add it if your not around :)

CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CapFanboy
@.Mistress Redhead.: That would work! I will have the thread up sometime tomorrow.
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CapFanboy said:

@.Mistress Redhead.: That would work! I will have the thread up sometime tomorrow.

link me up when you do ^_^

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Constantine
@Nighthunter said:
I have a few ideas. 

• Keep stories to a single thread. No offense to the people that do it but I seriously think that the story "__________" should be written in a single thread in order to keep it simple. Seriously it is easier to follow it this way and keeps the section more organized and gives the opportunity to have more stories in the front page.*
This is a good idea ;D

*I already do that cos I'm awesome
Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nighthunter

So any other suggestions?

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#43  Edited By Darkchild

Ill admit along with Nighthunter its incredibly frustrating writing a fanfic and having the two post limit. When i get really into a fanfic and i want to post everyday its silly to have someone post in a fanfic an say BUMP

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CellphoneGirl
@Darkchild: I guess i'm one of the very few that would instead of posting in it just to say bump I actually read it and say nice post :P
Rokuakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Rokuakai
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx: yeah alot of people do that for me. but sometimes it just looks idk tacky maybe?
CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CellphoneGirl
@Rokuakai: I understand lol
Mr. Hamilton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Mr. Hamilton

Come on people, lets do brainstorm together!

Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#48  Edited By Constantine

Single thread Is a strong one here I feel!

Avatar image for marveljackass433
MarvelJackAss433

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MarvelJackAss433

One of the big problems I have is no one commenting.I find it Hard to continue on one thread because barely anyone commenting.I can't continue if I have two posts in a row and I literately have to ask someone to comment.

sentryssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sentryssj4
@MarvelJackAss433 said:
One of the big problems I have is no one commenting.I find it Hard to continue on one thread because barely anyone commenting.I can't continue if I have two posts in a row and I literately have to ask someone to comment.
Which can get weird... right??