The Winds of Change - Part 11

Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Mechanical_Ape

This is a long chapter. It also happens to be the final chapter. Due to a variety of issues, I decided to end this. Unfortunately, the ending is a bit abrupt and not entirely satisfying or well written. It will have to do, though.

Part 11

“I didn’t expect to make it out of here alive anyway,” Nathan announced in a somber voice.

“You shouldn’t be so quick to throw your life away,” a pleasant voice called out near the elevators. “You’re still young and capable of so much more.”

Cypress abruptly turned, taking his steely focus off of Nathan for the first time. “Mr. Creighton! It isn’t safe here, sir. We were just about to apprehend our target.”

“Nonsense,” Creighton responded, waving his hand dismissively. “Mr. Walker here doesn’t want to fight. If he did, at least one of you would be dead already. He’s smart enough to know he outnumbered and overmatched.”

“Sir…” Cypress protested in vain.

“Enough! You three have completed your mission. You brought Mr. Walker here, and alive no less. I didn’t think you would be capable of that.”

“Thank you, sir,” Cypress said in a forced voice.

Nathan silently watched the events unfold before him. He did not recognize Mr. Creighton, nor did he know of him by reputation. By the way Cypress obediently acquiesced, it was abundantly clear to Nathan that he was someone to be cautious of.

“I can take care of things from here,” Creighton announced, his gaze remaining focused on Nathan. “There should be a new job available for each of you whenever you’re ready.”

Cypress paused momentarily, his eyes flickering from Creighton to Nathan. With a slight shake of his head, he complied and moved towards the elevators. He shot Nathan a fierce glare before disappearing into the elevator.

Creighton remained silent as the trio departed. A small, crooked smile adorned his face, disguising whatever true emotions he was feeling.

“You’re either really brave or really stupid,” Nathan said in an even voice. His muscles remained tense and ready for whatever the man would attempt.

“I was going to say the same about you,” he replied with a chuckle. “I think that’s why he wants you.”

Nathan took a step back and raised his fists in front of him. “I’m not going back with you. I’m done,” he spat in a defiant tone.

Creighton slowly took his hands out of his pockets and carefully moved towards Nathan. “I’m not Daniel Creighton and I don’t work for Roxxon. It’s my job to get you out of here alive.”

“Who do you work for?” Nathan asked as his eyes narrowed suspiciously. He held his ground as the man approached, but he was ready for him.

“No time,” the man said as he quickened his pace. “Come with me and I’ll explain everything. If you don’t like what you hear, you’re free to go.”

Nathan watched as the man walked past him towards the front door. He looked back and forth between the elevators and his mysterious savior. His mind was in turmoil. The path to the executive offices was clear. It would take little effort to find the people that orchestrated his actions. Even though, he knew their deaths would be meaningless.

Letting out a frustrated groan, Nathan turned and began to follow the man. He didn’t trust him, but he desperately wanted to believe that he truly wanted to help him. Whether or not he did, he decided that it wouldn’t hurt to listen.

Nathan felt trapped. Being confined to the small car with a strange man did little to ease the tension that had been steadily rising within him. More than anything, he wanted to be away from there. Instead, he quietly bided his time.

“If you aren’t this Creighton guy, then who are you?” Nathan asked, eager to break the heavy silence.

The man remained silent for a few moments, his eyes watching the road carefully as he drove. “John,” he said suddenly, “call me John.”

“Ok, John, where are we going?”

“I’m taking you to see someone,” he replied quickly as though it meant nothing.

Nathan looked away from the window and watched John for a moment. “Is that all you’re going to tell me?”

He nodded. “It’s better you hear the rest straight from the horse’s mouth.”

“Does this guy know you call him a horse?” Nathan asked as he leaned the seat back. He never got a reply, nor was he expecting one. He simply wanted to rest.

Nathan jumped as the John shook him awake. He hadn’t even realized that he had fallen asleep, but it didn’t surprise him. He needed more than the short car ride had afforded him, but he was happy with whatever he could get.

“We’re here,” John said simply as he got out of the vehicle.

Nathan followed him out, his head turning wildly as he surveyed his surroundings. From the heavy, moist air and rows of warehouses, he assumed they must have been somewhere near the docks. There were no cars and no people anywhere within sight.

John waited patiently beside a simple door leading into one of the large warehouses. He watched Nathan carefully, his expression remaining neutral and placid. “Whenever you’re ready,” he said as he motioned towards the door.

Nathan quickly looked from John to the unassuming door next to him. Yet again, he couldn’t help but wonder if he had made the right choice. He had followed this stranger for no reason other than his painful optimism. That same optimism could lead him to his doom, a thought that clouded his mind.

With a shrug, Nathan began to follow John into the warehouse. He had come this far and he was curious to see it through. Besides, he was confident in his abilities, no matter what situation he might find himself in.

The warehouse was no different from any other warehouse Nathan had been in. Its ordinary, plain walls housed countless rows of wooden boxes and metal shipping crates. Nathan couldn’t help but notice that it appeared to be much tidier and organized than Artyom’s warehouse. Not wanting to think about his past, Nathan quickly pushed the thought aside and focused on the task at hand.

John spoke suddenly, breaking the silence that had fallen over the pair. “It’s just over here.”

“What is?” Nathan asked curiously, seeing nothing of note.

“This,” John said proudly as he motioned to a crate. It appeared identical to all of the other crates in the warehouse.

Nathan looked at John, his brow furrowed in confusion. “Your boss is a box?”

Ignoring the comment, John produced a small keypad from his pocket. The buttons clicked quietly as he quickly entered a code. As suddenly as he had produced it, he slipped it back into his pocket and looked to the crate.

Nathan began to ask what he was doing but the words refused to come. Instead, he could only watch in surprise as the crate began to fade from view. In its place sat a small, unremarkable metal platform.

“This way,” John said with a smile as he stepped atop the platform.

Tentatively, Nathan followed him onto the apparatus. The area seemed solid and stable.

The purpose of the platform quickly became obvious as it began to rapidly descend through a previously unseen tunnel. Nathan was forced to steady himself, both mentally and physically, as the platform unexpectedly sprang into action.

Nathan found himself lost in thought as the platform fell. He had reached the point of no return. He had no idea where the tunnel led, but he was certain that the path out would not be a simple one.

“Just through there,” John said as the platform silently came to a halt. He motioned to a simple metal door at the end of the hall. Nathan expected him to accompany him to the door, but John remained sedentary on the platform.

Nathan nodded to himself as he moved towards the door. The door slid open silently as he approached, revealing a small, unimpressive room on the other side. The dimly lit room was dominated by a large wooden desk. Its only other item, a simple chair, beckoned him.

Entering the room, Nathan’s eyes began to adjust to the darkness. For the first time he realized there was a figure seated at the desk. The shadowy figure simply watched as Nathan casually took the chair.

“Mr. Walker,” the man stated in a gravelly voice, “this meeting has been long overdue.”

Nathan chuckled to himself, desperately trying to hide his nerves. “I’ve been a little busy.”

The man nodded. “You certainly have been. Seattle, Los Angeles, Vancouver, St. Petersburg, London; and those are just in the last year.”

Nathan remained silent as the man read the list. Each one was a job he had undertaken in the last year. Clearly, the man knew more about Nathan than he knew of him. He began to wonder once more if he had made a mistake in trusting John.

“You’re good,” the man announced plainly. “It took my boys almost a year to figure out who you were, and even longer to understand how you do what you do. You’re good, but your skills are wasted on jobs like these.”

Nathan let out an exasperated sigh. “This again? Listen,” he explained as he leaned forward in his chair, “I’m done. I through letting people like you treat me like an attack dog. If you brought me here just to try and hire me, then you wasted your time.”

“No, Mr. Walker,” the man said as he rose from his chair, “employing you as an assassin would be a waste. With you experience and your abilities, you could be so much more. I’m not asking you to be an assassin, I’m asking you to do something good for once in your life.”

The man walked slowly into the light, allowing Nathan to see him clearly for the first time. He was an older man, his worn skin belying the difficult life he must lead. His slightly graying hair and eye patch gave him a quiet dignity. He wore a dark suit of armor accented by a large, official looking patch.

“What do you mean?” Nathan asked, his curiosity piqued.

“I assume you know of SHIELD?” he asked rhetorically. “We could use someone like you. With a little discipline and training, you could be capable of doing a lot of good for the world.”

Nathan studied the man carefully. His passive expression hid any information he may have hope to glean. He couldn’t help but appreciate the offer. It was an enticing opportunity. Nathan wanted to believe that there was truth behind his words. He knew he would never have a normal life, but the chance to do some good after all the bad he had done appealed to him.

“If I say no?” Nathan wondered aloud.

“I have agents ready to take you to the Raft,” he answered immediately.

Nathan took a deep breath and leaned back in his chair. Letting out the breath slowly, he nodded to himself. He couldn’t keep running. For once in his life he wanted to make a decision for himself and he knew he would regret turning down such an offer. “So, where do we go from here?”

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#2  Edited By The Impersonator
@Mechanical_Ape: Great chapter! I knew the shadowy figure was Nick Fury. Seriously, after reading that line, I’m not asking you to be an assassin, I’m asking you to do something good for once in your life.” I just caught his dialogue in my head. You did a great job. I was hoping there would be a sequel to this series. But the ending was great. Well done and well-written!
Mechanical_Ape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Mechanical_Ape
@The Impersonator: Thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I have thought about doing something more with it eventually since it didn't turn out quite like I had hoped. I have some other stories planned already though, so if I do it won't be for a while.
Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#4  Edited By The Impersonator
@Mechanical_Ape: You're welcome! That's great to hear. Hopefully, I can see more of Nathan's action. By the way, I have just nominated for your best character and story. Plus, I'll be reading your other fan-fics soon.  :)