The Weakness of Uli Brightjaws. (Part Four.)

Undergroundgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Undergroundgod

Uli Brightjaw's wounds had not yet fully healed when he reached the end of the path... The mist and shadow had grown ever deeper, until they shutout the light of Luna entirely.  It was not utter blackness, no it was something much, much worse... It was utter gloom.  The rocks and stones Uli walked across had no color, they were grey only because no other word came closer.  The only thing that was not this same dull shade was the rift in a chasm longer than the horizon and blacker than the spaces between the stars.  Uli Brightjaws stood on the brink of the chasm that divides the spirit world, and he knew that he had reached the end of his journey. 

In the abyss, strength fails. In the abyss, weakness and despair grow huge and consume even the bravest Fenrir.  Here, Uli Brightjaw's weakness would surely be at its most powerful. If it could show itself at all, it would do so here.  Uli Brightjaws looked into the blackness that dropped down below the heart of the spirit world, he had heard the foot falls behind him, now close as a freinds arm away, he heard the breath come from an unseen snout, and he knew it was his weakness come to catch him in this place. And although it was the hardest thing he had ever done, Uli straightened his back and turned to face it. 

It was Great Fenris who stood behind him. In the world, in the spirit world, in any world there has never been a wolf as massive, as strong, as terrible as Great Fenris.  When he opens his jaws to devour his foes, a tall man could ride a tall horse into his throat and never have to bow his head. His eyes are yellow as newborn suns, his coat as grey as despair as much stronger than iron as iron is stronger than glass.  When Great Fenris howls his anger to the skies, the stars shake in the heavens and weep from fright.  That is what he is... He is rage, he is the first wolf, he is the one who catches comets in his teeth and gnaws them until they bleed.  And now he stood before Uli Brightjaws.  When he spoke, his voice was like ice, each word bitten off by a snap of his terrible jaws. 

"Why are you here, Uli?"  "Great Fenris, I am here because I fear my weakness. I came through these realms in search of it, to let it dog my heels and then catch it and tear it apart, that I might be worthy of your favor once more."  Great Fenris stood there unmoving, but thunder rolled in his throat. " You know that I can see through false strength to flaws beneath."  "I do, Great Fenris."  Again the Great Wolf rumbled. "Do you want me to show you were your weakness lives?"  Uli trembled with dread, but the words he spoke came from his soul.  "I do, Great Fenris."  Great Fenris' eyes blazed, and his head struck forward, and Uli felt the pain of a thousand wounds erupt in his chest... His ribs snapped like matchsticks, and the blood flew from his chest to water the stones of the abyss.  Great Fenris withdrew his muzzle, all slick with Uli's hearts blood, and spat something onto the ground.  Though every muscle in his body begged him to fall and die to end the pain, Uli remained on his feet, and looked down at his own heart. 

"THERE is your weakness. It lies in your heart, it is a flaw I despise.  Your weakness is doubt... A flaw so enfeebling it drove you to question MY judgement, to presume I would call a weakling my child.  The flaw in your spirit has brought shame upon your sept, upon your family, and upon ME"  Even in the dim light of the abyss, Great Fenris teeth gleamed bright as bloody swords. "What do you have to say for yourself, Uli Brightjaws?"  Though his heart lay on the ground before him and his chest was a ruin, Uli found his voice. "I... I am ashamed, Great Fenris."  Each breath brought fresh pain, but he countinued.  "I... I measured myself by my own fears... Not by my pack... Not by my tribe. I thought the worst, of my self... And so I thought the worst... Of all those who called me strong. I... I did not have the... Pride I should. I was not... Proud of being Fenrir." 

Great Fenris growled deep and low, and his eyes still burned with fury, but he did not bare his teeth.  "Take up your heart, Uli Brightjaws. Eat it, Eat your heart and know yourself." And he turned, and he was gone, lost in the shadows of the abyss.  Uli's sight was fading, he groped blindly on the ground in the warm wetness of his own blood. His fingers closed on his heart, still breating. He put it to his jaws, as the smell of his own hearts blood made him both sick and ravenous.  And he bit into his heart, and ate it in three bites, and then the strength was in him once more. 

Uli returned to his sept on the evening of the new moon.  He bowed before his Jarl and told him the story of his shame, and found new pride.  He apologized to his pack for his lack of faith, and they beat him soundly, and he came away from it laughing.  He went home to his wife, and he said nothing, but nothing needed to be said. The scar on his chest never left him, and he would have been shamed and dishonred to see it go.  Uli Scar-heart lived well as any warrior for the rest of his days, and died as well any Fenrir could ask for.  One of his children bred true, and was a fine skald and honor to her people.  When she walked among the Fenrir, she was proud to say that no werewolf ever chosen by Great Fenris was ever weak... Even if they were fool enough to think so, every once in a great while.  THE END.