The Viners' Input on Fanfiction

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By dngn4774

I'm one of the many fanfic writers on this site, and since I intend to keep writing on the vine, I want to know more about my audience. I created this thread so that all of the fanfic readers can have a place to discuss their views on fanfiction with one another. We can start out with a few basic questions.

• What interests you about fanfiction?
  • What do you like/dislike about certain types of fics?
  • What do you think makes a fanfic good?
  • Do you have a favorite genre?
  • What would you like to read about?

There's not much more for me to say for now, but I'd personally like to thank anyone who took time to answer any of these questions.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By lorbo

1. Making my own fiction and other people actually caring. Not something I can get easily from my own family.

2. The gore, but I am just one person, some love that stuff. I understand sometimes it is necessary to tell the story (jurassic park anyone?), but I could stomach that book. Deadpool on the other hand is a whole nother level. Too bad he is funny as can be. I would love him otherwise.

3. If you can make dialogue that seems natural, and if you have characters with distinct personalities. That is the main thing I think. Plot is always submissive to characters I think, the only place that don't matter as much is movies, because your watching it. Not so with books. Unless you want to be describing stuff more than characters, but I don't think that's a winning move.

4. Hmmm, not really, I don't spend a whole lot of time reading other peoples fanfic. Only the ones that have eye catching titles. And of course some of us here are known for being great writers (joygirl anyone?). Of course given that I write OC's, I am generally attracted to what other people do in that regard too. I like scifi too. And comedy is ALWAYS good, not matter the amount, in any genre.

5. Scifi. Not many take that on, probably because it is too easy to be a copy cat. Being original takes a good deal of research on science. Other than that your bound to write pure fantasy.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dngn4774

thanks for commenting. Hopefully some other users will too.

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

So long as it's good and not some blatantly bad writing like some of the things I see on FanFiction.net and DeviantArt.

But it's a pain to get readers. It's like everybody ignores your work despite the praise it gets.

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Irishlad
  • What interests you about fanfiction? The amazing stories written by fans that you just wouldn't find in comics because especially with DC and Marvel they're too afraid to change the status quo or introduce new things which means sometimes I find myself enjoying fan fic more than the actual comic and IT'S FREE.
  • What do you like/dislike about certain types of fics? I dislike fan fic stories that completely disregard who the character is. Just because you think a character looks cool does not mean you know how to write them you need to look at who they are, I don't want to see an emo Flash, it isn't who he is so I can't get attached to the story despite how good the plot may be.
  • What do you think makes a fanfic good? Good character dialogue, good description since you can't show things visually you need to describe things well so I can get a clear picture and a plot that moves, even a little every chapter.
  • Do you have a favorite genre? Not really I like a bit of everything though I do tend to like Sci-Fi and Mystery the best.
  • What would you like to read about? Characters I can't get into written by a fan that likes them since I'd love to understand why they're cool.
batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By batkevin74

@dngn4774: What interests you about fanfiction? I like writing! Plus its fun

What do you like/dislike about certain types of fics? I like most fan-fics but supernatural stuff blech! I'm into capes not fangs. I dislike bad spelling, bad formatting, Dragonball Z (sorry I just don't get it)

What do you think makes a fanfic good? Solid writing, clever premise, regular installments, good formatting, spelling has been checked before posting it up

Do you have a favorite genre? Super heroes

What would you like to read about? Stuff I don't get from real comics. I want to see the ongoing universe where Batman married Wonder Woman and their son is chosen to be the next Green Lantern much to Damian's disgust! I want the universes to crossover, IDW has the kinda right idea even though it is only Mars Attacks, fan fic can do those idea that would in reality be a logistical and financial nightmare

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@dngn4774 said:

I'm one of the many fanfic writers on this site, and since I intend to keep writing on the vine, I want to know more about my audience. I created this thread so that all of the fanfic readers can have a place to discuss their views on fanfiction with one another. We can start out with a few basic questions.

• What interests you about fanfiction?
  • What do you like/dislike about certain types of fics?
  • What do you think makes a fanfic good?
  • Do you have a favorite genre?
  • What would you like to read about?

There's not much more for me to say for now, but I'd personally like to thank anyone who took time to answer any of these questions.

1. There are no limits to what a good writer could create.
  2. Bad grammar mostly. Especially if it's a long FF. Ain't no one got time for that.
  3. Originality.
  4. I like dark, more realistic stuff as opposed to the light-hearted stuff.
  5. I would like to read some noir stories (Spirit, The Question, Batman etc) . I have been searching through the library and there aren't too many.
dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dngn4774