The Boston Tea Party: Iago's Tarot

Abishai100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Iago is the Devil's Advocate from the iconic betrayal-themed play Othello (William Shakespeare). Iago fools the highly-sensitive Othello, a black well-to-do man in the court of Caucasians, to mistrust his own wife through a series of cunning social interactions.

Iago represents a literary fascination with nihilism and negative logic and general brutish realism (i.e., "I hate the rain!"). That's why I like comparing Iago to the American comic book character Morph (Marvel Comics), a sometime member of the X-Men haunted by the demons of self-doubt (in regards to his extra-human powers and mutations).

So, here's a rendition of Iago presenting a humorous toast to the Boston Tea Party (the historic incident in which American revolutionaries defied British taxation by hijacking a tea shipment from the East India Company):

====

"What delight is this! To be resurrected in the age of the American Revolution, with newfound pride and a renovated tongue with which to pronounce all sorts of critique!

I, Iago have a delicate but sure portrait of this estranging 'Boston Tea Party,' in which savage souls yearning for liberties leap onto a ship to cast out demons of civil procedure and tax.

Imagine the ropes! Four mean joined with four others to achieve this funny deed. How England would weep, but I must make my claim here --- these are revelers and not orators. The semblance is apparent, 'One hundred years in the past, our hearty mean did sack a gold ship for the sake of youth!'

The real tragedy here is, of course, that no one is wiser to the premonition that tax is supreme."

====

Iago

Boston Tea Party

No Caption Provided