The Adventures of Doc Strong Chapter VIII.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

Edited By Decept-O

(story copyright E.N. Boyd)

Talon kicked the door open to his ranch house. His hand still hurt a bit but the bleeding had stopped. Perturbed and angry he had to sit down but only after getting some whiskey in his system. He knew he had to clean the hand, so he went to the side room and placed his hand in the wash stand bowl. The water turned red and he scraped out the bits of dirt that were in the wound.

He found a shirt hanging over a chair, picked it up, tore off a chunk and wrapped it around his hand. His hand throbbed a bit but he knew it would heal. It wasn't quite deep enough a gash to see a Doctor for stitching. Doctors, he had his fill of them this day as it was.

Making his way into the large den, he found his liquor cabinet and withdrew a decanter of whiskey. His bandaged hand grabbed the cool glass and he shook a bit as he poured himself a shot of the liquor. He titled his head back, downing the whiskey, and his senses seemed to object what they were tasting. He sighed a bit, and sat down, ruminating. He ran a finger around the rim of the shot glass as he stared at the opulent cut of the decanter, noticing with a quiet revelry the diamond shapes etched in the glass. Looking at it he could see the sun begin to slowly dip, the light reflected and refracted through the decanter, peeking through the large state room window. It was at that moment he realized what he would do.

.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

"How is Melanie doing, Paulie?", Rulah asked the man as he confidently held the rope which was the lifeline to Doc Strong's D.E.E.P. suit. Normally, no one would bother talking at a time like this but then again, Paulie wasn't exactly your typical ranch hand. Having the face of a young man about 21, Paulie was actually around 35 and a man whose strength was well above normal. He was quite different in many ways, and one of the reasons Doc Strong had him in his employ for many years. He was more than that, he was a trusted friend but Paulie always acted like he wasn't "good enough" to be around Doc and Rulah. It was a quaint habit both Doc and Rulah tried to encourage Paulie quit but it was a bit useless. Perhaps with his pending wedding to his fiancee' Melanie, Paulie would behave a bit differently.

"Oh, she's doing quite fine, Mrs.Strong. Her family is still hesitant about me, you know being different and all.", he replied, eyeing the rope feeling it for any signs of tugging but he didn't feel anything yet.

"Well, Paulie you know we've talked to her family and informed them how much you are to us. I do understand. Sometimes people have a hard time accepting what they don't understand. " Rulah said, as she stood near the water's edge, peering into the water. "You're right, Mrs.Strong but I don't know. I feel even more of an outsider with her family than anyone else. Despite growing up with my strength and being what you and Doc call "gifted" in that way, I don't feel very gifted at times, especially around her old man.", he answered.

Their conversation continued as Doc looked about the murky water, seeing something he couldn't quite believe. He saw what looked like a humanoid form, very large, swimming up at him, coming from what looked like a red glowing hole beneath its body. He reached up and tugged on the rope. He didn't know what this was, and he wasn't going to find out at least not exposed in the water.

"Oh...wait a sec'...Doc is tugging on the rope. I better haul him up!", Paulie said, yanking on the rope with both hands, making sure to grip it well but not pulling it too quickly as Doc had previously instructed in their earlier test runs at the ranch lake. It wasn't long before Paulie could see the bronze color of the D.E.E.P. suit breach the surface. He knelt down and picked Doc and the suit up with one arm and placed him on the water's edge. Doc shook his head and pointed at the water. Paulie looked down and saw something rather strange. A large rock but in the shape of a large man, with tiny eyes and a flat nose-less face emerged from the water, grunting.

The creature lunged first at Doc in his suit but Paulie quickly stepped in front of him and put his arm up to block the creature's swinging limb, its fist bigger than Paulie's own head. It landed on Paulie's arm and Paulie actually felt the blow. He grabbed the creature's arm quickly and began to twist it. The arm broke off the creature's body. It began to howl shrill and loudly. The creature fell to the ground its head hitting the soil, seemingly passed out.

Doc motioned over to Rulah who came to his side. She helped him remove the suit's helmet while Paulie looked at the creature, kneeling down to it, poking its face. "Paulie, leave it alone for now. I don't know what that is but it must have been one of the things which attacked us earlier today.", Doc said.

"What is it?", Paulie asked. "I don't know, Paulie but it came from some type of red glowing light from the depth, and swam rather fast up to me. It was reaching up to me like it was going to kill me. Your reaction was quick enough. Once again I owe you, Paulie. Thanks.", Doc replied.

"No problem, Doc. What do we do now?", he asked.

"Well, if possible, let's see if we can find a pulse on this creature. Let's tie it up with that rope. I think any deep water exploration will have to be put on hold. "

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

--Forums » Fan-Fic » The Adventures of Doc Strong. Chapter 1.

Forums » Fan-Fic » The Adventures of Doc Strong. Chapter II.

Forums » Fan-Fic » The Adventures of Doc Strong. Chapter III.

Forums » Fan-Fic » The Adventures of Doc Strong Chapter IV

The Adventures of Doc Strong Chapter V.

The Adventures of Doc Strong Chapter VI.

The Adventures of Doc Strong Chapter VII