STRANGE TALES #5 (FINALE) - Starring the Most Obscure Villains on the Wiki! (Script)

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By ColonelRunAway

PREVIOUSLY: VEILED VACATIONINGS - PENNY OFF A DEAD MAN'S EYE - AS THE CLOCK STRUCK THIRTEEN - HELL HATH NO FÜHRY

THE THAWED WAR - Rated M

No Caption Provided

Page 1.

Close up of a folder labeled “Yearly Budget Review” on the Oval Office desk.

FURY JR.: Resilient’s arc reactors cut the Helicarrier’s fuel cost by 95%, which R&D’s still trying to apply to the jetpacks.

POV from the president as Fury Jr. sits across from him. A pair of secret service agents are standing in the background, fairly casually.

FURY JR.: Of course, the jetpack corps still has a lack of volunteers, but now that the recruitment division has more room for spending--

There’s a bright explosion of rainbow-light outside the Oval Office windows. The president (who’s clearly supposed to be Obama) can only be seen silhouetted against the glare.

SFX: FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Fury Jr. turns away from the windows, shielding his good eye, towards the secret service agents. The president starts moving under his desk.

FURY JR.: AGGGGH

FURY JR.: MR. PRESIDENT, GET…

Fury Jr. sees one of the secret service agents aiming a gun at the president, while the other stars pulling out his own gun.

Page 2.

Fury jumps into the office through the window. He’s holding an M60 in one hand now.

SFX: KRSSSSSSHHHHHHH

Fury poses behind the desk, gun raised.

Over the shoulder view of Fury looking at Fury Jr., who’s standing over the already dead secret service agents, pointing one of their guns at Fury. The door is propped shut with a chair.

Page 3.

Fury and Fury Jr. looking at each other awkwardly. The President stands up in the background, his face obscured behind Fury’s gun.

FURY JR.: …Hey.

FURY: Hey.

Same shot. The president points out the window.

FURY JR.: Weren’t you dead?

FURY: It was more of a business trip.

PRESIDENT: That was bulletproof glass!

Same shot.

FURY JR.: …Uh-huh.

FURY JR.: And I shouldn’t just shoot you now because..?

PRESIDENT: We’re on the second floor!

Same shot. The president vanishes in another flash of bright light.

SFX: pop

Strange levitates in through the window.

STRANGE: Don’t worry, Nicholas.

STRANGE (small text): New Nicholas.

STRANGE: Your father is quite real, your president is safely aboard the helicarrier, and we’ve brought an army of funeral attendees!

Fury Jr.’s face. He’s clearly annoyed.

Page 4.

The various heroes and S.H.I.E.L.D. agents standing out on the White House Lawn, surrounded by secret service agents. The agents have their guns raised.

Captain America and Director Johnson walk over to one of the secret service agents.

AGENT: FREEZE!

CAP: At ease, we’re all friendlies here.

AGENT: WHAT WAS THAT EXPLOSION?

JOHNSON: That was just a miscommunication with our… Wizard… Friend…

The agent aiming the gun.

AGENT: YOU ARE ORDERED TO SURRENDER UNTIL WE HAVE CONFIRMATION OF--

SFX (small): boom

Everyone on the lawn turns to look at the city.

SFX (small): boom

Inside the Oval Office. Fury pokes one of the dead agents with his gun, while Strange tries to examine the body.

FURY: --were SUPPOSED to get here before they moved on the president, but someone had to scare ‘em with his big Vegas entrance.

STRANGE: Ohhh, and that’s for shooting them quietly, is it?

Fury walks towards the president’s desk, while Fury Jr. follows him. Strange ignores them both.

FURY: I’m guessing they dropped dead like at the beach house, right?

FURY JR.: And the A.I.M. base.

Fury turns to look at Fury Jr., confused.

FURY: What A.I.M. base?

FURY JR.: The one we busted in New York. Had more of these sleepers stockpiling old gadgets from dead supervillains.

Fury looks down at the desk. Fury Jr. and even Strange both look at him

FURY (small text): No… Hitler woulda bragged if he’d had an army of capes on standby.

FURY JR.: …

FURY JR.: Hitler?

Fury sees the “Yearly Budget Review” folder.

Fury’s eye narrows.

FURY: Ah dammit.

Page 6.

Flashback to Fury Jr. in Fury’s bunk in issue 1.

FURY JR.: …coordinating damage control on the Goldbug massacre…

Flashback to Juniper in Fury’s bunk in issue 1.

JUNIPER: …Most of the deities on Hell’s side are just willing to sit back and take any souls they get in the crossfire…

JUNIPER: …we send a few of our own, and to the locals it all just looks like the super-person-shenanigans of the week…

Flashback to Mephisto in the Limbo-Apartment in issue 2

MEPHISTO: …Your buddies didn’t pay me THAT much…

Flashback to Hitler in the dark confrence room in issue 3.

HITLER: …Of course, one cannot move a soul without paying the afterlife back. And with interest…

Flashback to Juniper in Heaven.

JUNIPER: …there were some unexpected setbacks, so we had some funds to spare…

Page 7.

Back to the Oval Office. Fury walks to the window, while Fury Jr. and Strange still watch him.

FURY: That stockpile. That wasn’t part of Hell’s backup.

POV out the window. All the heroes and agents have turned to look at some kind of panic on the DC mall.

Zoom in on the mall. There are hundreds of formerly dead supervillains massacring civilians.

FURY: It was part of Heaven’s flood.

Page 8.

Fury Jr. walks up to Fury. Strange stays in the background.

FURY JR.: You’re saying those are friendlies?

FURY: I’m saying they’re looking for sleepers too, but they’re not gonna be worried ‘bout collateral damage.

FURY: We need to minimize casualties, but…

Same shot. Fury Jr. turns to point at Strange.

FURY JR.: But you can sense all these guys? And the sleepers?

STRANGE: In the immediate area, yes.

FURY JR.: And you can do the telepathy thing?

STRANGE: Well, I don’t mean to brag…

Strange and Fury look at each other. Strange finally seems to be taking the situation seriously.

FURY: Can you shut ‘em all down from here?

STRANGE: They’ve had some form of mental tempering… Subtle, but well rooted. To break even one of them would take time…

Fury Jr. looks out the window.

FURY JR.: Right.

FURY JR.: So Plan B.

Page 9.

Front view of the heroes and agents out on the White House lawn.

STRANGE (telepathically): Attention everyone, this is Doctor Stephen Strange.

STRANGE (TP): The malefactors before you have all been influenced to target civilians. However, some amongst the crowd have received similar influencing from another side.

Close up on Captain America at the head of the group, with several heroes behind him.

STRANGE (TP): I’ll be separating you into two teams.

STRANGE (TP): Team One is to deal with the masked reprobates. I may help coordinate, but I’m sure you’re used to this sort of thing.

Close up on Johnson, with S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents behind her.

STRANGE (TP): Team Two will be weeding out Sleeper Agents in the crowds. I’ll be broadcasting each of their locations telepathically, you’ll just be getting to and subduing them.

STRANGE (TP): Are there any questions?

Fury, Fury Jr. and Strange stand on the White House balcony. Strange is levitating, legs crossed and eyes glowing.

FURY: THIS ISN’T A DAMN COMMITTEE!

The group charges toward the mall.

FURY: MOVE THE HELL OUT!

Page 10.

Overhead view of Falcon flying over the mall, with the various heroes and villains fighting underneath him.

Mangler rushes at a group of panicking civilians.

Falcon swoops down and kicks Mangler in the face.

The crowd Mangler was chasing runs into a mueseum.

Dum Dum Dugan tackles a woman in the crowd to the ground, holding zip-tie handcuffs in his other hand. Speedfreak runs by in the background.

Page 11.

Fury and Fury Jr. fire their guns, Strange levitating right behind them. Further in the background, Iron Fist trips Speedfreak.

FURY: This is a--

FURY JR.: Clusterf***?

FURY: Well, I was gonna say good plan, but…

Same shot. Now Iron Fist is fighting Typeface in the background.

STRANGE (TP): Nicholases?

FURY & FURY JR. (same time): WHAT?

The Capitol Building. Mr. Fantastic is fighting the original Kangaroo in front of it, while Captain America fights Humbug.

CAPTION: STRANGE: It seems these attackers are all diverting towards the Capitol Building.

Strange levitating.

STRANGE (TP): I’m not detecting any of your sleeper agents inside the building.

STRANGE (TP): But there does seem to be one moving away from it, north. In an underground panic tunnel.

Fury runs away from Fury Jr. and Strange.

FURY (small text): Sounds about right.

FURY JR.: THE HELL ARE YOU GOING?

Page 12.

Fury runs into a street, near the Thing grappling with Blockbuster.

Fury lifts a manhole cover off the street with one hand.

Fury lands in a dark, round sewer tunnel.

Fury runs down the tunnel, turning a corner.

Fury reaches a pipe that leads back outside, creating a light at the end of the tunnel.

Page 13.

Fury uses a gadget to spray a door-sized circle on the side of the tunnel.

Fury stands back. There’s a green flash of light (just a flash, not an explosion).

SFX: FSSSSSSSSSSSS

Fury steps through a new hole in the tunnel where the gel was. The walls of the hole are still glowing green. It leads to a well lit hallway.

Fury exits into the hallway, in front of a panicked crowd of senators, congressmen, and ect. He’s holding his gun up at the ceiling.

FURY: Everybody stay calm, I’m with…

Page 14.

Fury gets shot in the left ribs. He drops his gun.

SFX: BLAM

FURY: AGGGh…

Eva is pointing a smoking handgun at Fury, smiling. All the other representatives are running back the way they came.

EVA: LOOK OUT, HE HAS A GUN!

Fury dives into the hole he came through, leaving his gun behind. Eva continues firing at him.

Eva walks through the hole.

EVA: Ohhhh, so your cohorts helped you back here, did they?

EVA: Made you more spry?

Fury’s fist backhands Eva in the face.

SFX: KRAK

Eva falls to the floor of the sewer, dropping her gun.

Page 15.

Fury reaches down towards Eva with his right arm, but she ducks under his grip, grabbing a knife on his belt.

EVA: HA!

Eva stands up behind Fury, holding up the knife. The light at the end of the tunnel is behind her.

EVA: As if I can’t escape them again!

Fury turns and limps toward her, his right hand covering his gun wound (though it’s so dark we can’t actually see his hand). Eva backs up.

EVA: Oh, it’ll take time. But I have an eternity!

EVA: Perhaps starting with America was too rash. There are always other nations with less super people. Less paranoia.

Eva backs up to the end of the tunnel, silhouetted against the round light just like Death was in issue 2.

EVA: Kill me, capture me, it doesn’t matter!

EVA: Eventually, I WILL return to Limbo! I WILL be able to rebuild!

Fury, still clutching his ribs.

EVA: I WILL take this world so subtly that it won’t even know it!

Page 16.

Fury lifts his right hand from his, rib, shooting Eva. He was actually holding her gun up to his chest.

Eva, surprised, falls backward out of the tunnel.

Fury looks out of the tunnel.

FURY: Subtlety’s overrated.

Eva falls, about to land in a small canal.

Eva lands on snowy ground instead.

SFX: thump

EVA: UHHHH

Page 17.

Eva looks around. She’s in the hell-maze from issue 4, but the graffiti is now of the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo repeated over and over. Hitler stands a few feet away from her, shocked.

EVA: W-w-w-w-

HITLER: EVA!

Hitler helps her up.

HITLER: Oh, my dear! they got you too!

EVA: They..?

Over the shoulder view of Eva looking up. Mephisto is standing on top of one of the maze walls, looking down at her. He’s still wearing the trench coat and fedora, but the angle and the shading suddenly make it look menacing.

MEPHISTO: Did you really think WE weren’t interested in your little game, princess?

MEPHISTO: Getting the holier-than-thous to burn DC was a neat trick, but the boss man can’t be having you bribing his people out from under him. Not to mention getting loose.

Mephisto looking down at Eva and Hitler. Something behind him is casting a giant shadow.

MEPHISTO: Oh hey, here he comes now!

A giant arm, wearing Fury’s classic S.H.I.E.L.D. uniform, reaches down at the maze.

Page 18.

Establishing shot of Washington DC, now at sunset. The fighting has stopped. The helicarrier is above the city, and the ground looks covered in S.H.I.E.L.D. agents.

Ground level of the mall. Strange is casually sitting on a bench, while S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents patrol in the background.

STRANGE: It’s a pity all the aggressors have passed on once again. I should like to know if there was any way I could save them.

Johnson looks down at Strange, holding up a piece of paper.

JOHNSON: But you do know SOMETHING about what all this was, right?

JOHNSON: Something that’ll explain WHY you poofed him two hundred miles away and leveled his city?

JOHNSON: Something worth this consultant fee?

Strange leans his head back and closes his eyes.

STRANGE: Nope.

STRANGE: Haven’t the foggiest.

STRANGE: But I did send a mutual friend on the case.

Page 19.

Fury sits under a small bridge, next to the canal Eva fell into. He’s ignoring a body-sized fire next to him.

Fury Jr. walks up behind Fury.

FURY JR.: So.

Fury looks straight ahead, ignoring Fury Jr.

FURY JR.: You gonna tell me what the f*** that was?

Juniper stands in front of Fury.

FURY JR.: Hey!

JUNIPER: You know I didn’t have a choice, Sarge.

FURY: You listening to me?

Fury’s mouth.

FURY: Junior…

Page 20.

Fury stands up, looking away from both of them.

FURY: I just wanna say I’ve been there. Where you are right now.

FURY: And when I see you where I was… Hell, part of me is proud, part of me wishes I never put you in that position.

Fury’s face, as Juniper and Fury Jr. stand behind him.

FURY: Point is, after all I’ve seen, I just don’t wanna be that person anymore.

Same shot. Juniper starts fading away, but Fury Jr. just gets frustrated.

JUNIPER: I understand.

FURY JR.: I don’t give a damn what you want!

Fury Jr.

FURY JR.: What I’ve seen is that I’m good at this, and I wanna keep doing good like this!

POV of Fury Jr. looking at Fury’s turned back.

FURY JR.: Now are you gonna tell me what I need to do my job?

Fury’s face, smiling.

FURY: Well…

FURY: Wanna hear an old man ramble?

THE END