Rose Wilson: The Ravager #4

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By rav4

Continued From: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/rose-wilson-the-ravager-3/660105/#4

Disclaimer: I do not own any DC characters or locations. All rights belong to DC Comics.

Rating: T+

Note: So, again I ended up writing a lot more than I meant to. Back in Chapter 3, my preview for chapter 4 said we'd find out exactly what led to Rose leaving the Teen Titans, and I did write that out. However, included with everything else, the whole thing ended up being very long (almost 5k words), so I instead decided to cut that chunk out and have it be the first part of chapter 5. However, in this one, you still do learn more about it and get a general idea of what happened, just not the specifics. So, technically, I didn't lie!

Rose WIlson: The Ravager #4

Int. Ace Chemical Processing Plant – Night

She shouldn't be afraid. She's faced worse than this and never cowered back like a frightened rabbit before. So, then why does ice cold terror claw at the depths of her very soul? Her short breaths are numb and rapid, while goosebumps raise up all across her body, even beneath her rather warm costume. As the Scarecrow moves forward, closer to her, she feels a wet streak falling from her one eye. The terror has her in tears.

Christ, I really am losing my mind.

Ravager sees the attack coming, but her body doesn't do anything to defend against it. She's frozen in place, rooted to the floor in horror. The blow lands across her face, a whipping punch that snaps her head to the side. She falls back to the floor, a sharp pain flaring through her cheek. Desperately, she forces herself to move and begins crawling away again, eventually scrambling back up to her feet.

Another blow strikes her, this time a kick ripping into her ribs. It isn't a terribly painful kick, though it causes her to stumble. She reaches out toward the wall with her left arm in attempts to keep herself from falling, but the action emits a sudden, violent strain on her shotgun injury. A gasp of pain rushes out past her lips, her arm going limp and body smacking against the wall.

Scarecrow: What did you think was going to happen, Girl?

He emits a terrifying cackle, coming forward and swinging a backhand across her face again. She lurches back, spinning against the wall and dropping to her knees.

Scarecrow: That you'd just come in here, expose my operation, and get away without consequences?

This time, it's another kick to to her torso. It's a vicious blow, but her armor absorbs most of the impact, thankfully.

Scarecrow: I haven't seen you before. You're obviously new to Gotham, so allow me to show you how things work around here.

A hard stomp comes driving down onto the back of her left shoulder, battering directly into her injury. She feels the wrapping pop and warm blood spurting beneath her armor, oozing down her arm. Her whole body locks up for a moment, twitching as she screams and grabs at the wound. She curls up on the floor and quivers, nausea bubbling up deep in her gut.

Scarecrow: Oh, what's this? Did I hit a... tender spot?

Ravager glances up, sees him now holding a long wooden cane, with twisted, horrified faces carved into the bark. She scrambles forward, but can't get away as he swings the cane hard into her left shoulder. It hurts; it doesn't feel like it's made of wood, more like steel. The Scarecrow swings the cane again, this time nailing the bottom of her jaw. A bright flash of light appears in front of her face for a brief moment, and the next thing she realizes, she sprawled out on the floor, gazing lazily upward.

Scarecrow: So, tell me, how are you feeling? On a scale of one to ten.

He winds up the cane again, delivers a hard shot to right shoulder.

Scarecrow: Ten being 'like crap'-

A shot to her knee this time.

Scarecrow: -and one being 'like death'.

Get it together, Rose! You can't take much more of this!

The Scarecrow grips the staff with both hands, raising it up above his head. He swings it down, aiming to smash it straight through her skull. Fighting through the pain and mind numbing fear, she rolls to the side just in time, avoiding the blow.

Fight it. It's just fear. It doesn't matter how afraid you are, you can fight it!

Scarecrow: Ah, still got some life in you, after all. Good, it'll make this all the more satisfying.

The Scarecrow runs at her now, swinging his cane wildly with all his might. Ravager ducks below the attack, slides to the side and scrambles back to her feet. With every movement she makes, her entire body throbs with stiff pain, but she ignores it. It isn't the pain she's worried about, it's the paralyzing terror, which she's finally beginning to work through.

Ravager takes in a deep breath, trying to steady her nerves. She turns in time to see Scarecrow running at her again, his maggoty mouth curled into a horrific grin.

It's just fear, Rose. You can beat it... don't let it be the death of you. Just... fight it!

This time, when the Scarecrow swings his cane, she ducks below it and rushes forward, closing the distance between them. Her heart thumps rapidly in her chest, but she fights around it. Her body flares with stabbing pain, but she works through it. Uttering an angry shout, she brings a palm strike forward, driving it straight into her enemy's face.

The Scarecrow grunts, stumbling backwards. Ravager doesn't stop there, continuing her assault. She lands a kick to the midsection, an elbow to the sternum, then a powerful cross to his jaw. He falls to his back, howling in pain as he tries to get away, but she's already on him, sword drawn. With one deft motion, she thrusts the point of her blade into his shoulder.

Scarecrow: AHHHH! Stop! Take it out! Take it out!

Ravager: So, on a scale of one to ten-

She slowly twists the blade around, ripping apart the flesh of his shoulder.

Ravager: -how do you feel?

The Scarecrow begins to whimper as the pain takes hold. He squirms, trying to get away, but the sword pins him firmly against the floor. Realizing the predicament he's suddenly found himself in, he frantically reaches into his shirt, fumbling around for something. Ravager notices this, reaching down and grabbing his wrist.

Ravager: What do you think you're trying to do?

As she yanks his arm back, she doesn't see the device he's now holding, not until it's too late. She hears the small hiss of a valve being opened, followed by a thick green cloud wafting forward straight into her face. Reeling backward, she removes her sword from the Scarecrow's shoulder and begins coughing again.

Scarecrow: I think... you need a larger dose.

Oh, #$&%! Damn it!

It's the same green mist that first induced her overwhelming terror. Her breathing goes rapid, keeping in pace with her frantic heartbeat. Darting her gaze around the room, she catches sight of the Scarecrow running off, holding his injured shoulder. She tries to chase him, but the nightmarish hallucinations begin to increase tenfold.

Fighting against the ever more powerful fear, she turns and starts running. She can't stay here, not in this condition. Not only is that cold, frightening sensation in her heart growing stronger by the second, but her entire body feels as though it's just been hit by a truck. She'll just end up getting herself killed.

With a limp in her stride and her breath heavy, Ravager looks around desperately for a way out. Everywhere she turns, however, she finds a new, horrifying sight. Reanimated corpses, hellish creatures, walls made of tormented human faces... It's like trying to navigate a fun house straight out of Tim Burton's worst nightmares.

Eventually, she locates a window on the far side of the plant. She doubles her pace, trying not to let the explosive pain in her knee slow her down. Leaving the frightening images behind, she dives through the window and tumbles outside.

Ext. Ace Chemical Processing Plant – Night

Ravager hits the ground hard, broken shards of glass raining down around her, peppering the ground. It takes her a long moment to force herself back up to her feet; she can't keep her posture straight, the pain is too great. Instead, she hobbles, limps forward with her shoulders slouched, left arm dangling limply at her side.

That's when she hears his voice.

Deathstroke: You don't look so good.

Ravager's eye goes wide, a surging jolt of shock and horror ripping through her. It can't be possible! She turns quickly, praying that she doesn't see him standing there. But she does. There he is, her father, dressed in full costume and standing stationary with his arms clasped behind his back, just glaring at her.

Ravager: N-no... not you... it can't be you!

Deathstroke: Oh, it's me. You didn't think that you could run from me forever, dear daughter, did you?

Her father begins to walk toward her, but she pulls back in a panic.

Ravager: No, you... you're not real. You're just... just another hallucination. You're all in my head.

Deathstroke: Is that so? Tell me, Rose, if I'm just in your head... then what are you so afraid of?

Ravager swallows a nervous lump in her throat, continuing to backpedal, as he advances towards her. She watches him carefully, waiting for any sudden movements. That's when he pulls one of his hands out from behind his back to reveal a fully loaded syringe.

Deathstroke: You remember my serum, don't you?

Ravager: No! Keep that stuff await from me!

Deathstroke: It's time for your shot, Rose.

Ravager: NO!

Breaking away from the overwhelming fear rooting her to the ground, she turns and runs again, desperately trying to get away from him. She races around the side of the chemical plant, fighting to keep her balance as her battered body threatens to give out. Without looking back, she mounts her motorcycle and guns the engine. She can barely hold on to the handlebars, but she doesn't care. She just wants to get away from here as fast as she can, away from this nightmare.

Ext. Gotham City Streets – Night

Lights and sounds zip by, as Ravager pushes her motorcycle faster and faster down the road, passing other vehicles when she shouldn't be, running stop signs, and being generally reckless. Her heart is racing even faster now, despite apparently being free of the hallucinations from the chemical plant. She can still feel the effects of that fear inducing gas wreaking havoc on her body and mind. If she can just get back to the Batcave, maybe Batman can figure out what the hell is going on with her.

When she rounds the corner of the street, her eye suddenly widens in surprise. Standing there, directly in the middle of her path, is Deathstroke, holding his syringe. She jerks on the handlebars in a panic, causing the vehicle to fall and slide on its side. The abrupt action forces her to let go, sending her skidding across the street at a wild pace, eventually rolling to a stop by slamming into a newspaper dispenser.

Onlookers scream in shock, some rushing over to see if she's alright, and others just trying to get away and avoid the scene, not wanting to be involved.

Onlooker #1: My god! Did you see that?

Onlooker #2: Is she alive?

Ravager very slowly begins to move, pushing herself up to her hands and knees. She tries to stand, but stumbles down a second later, too shaken to find her balance.

Onlooker #3: Miss, are you alright? Can you hear me?

Onlooker #4: For Christ's sake, someone call an ambulance!

Ravager: Fine... I'm... fine.

One of the more helpful persons approaches her, offering assistance. He reaches out, placing a hand on her shoulder and trying to help her up.

Onlooker #5: Why'd you do it?

Ravager: I... just lost control. No big deal.

Onlooker #5: No, really, Rose. Why did you do it?

She flinches at the sound of her name, lurching away from his grasp. When her gaze finds him, her heart nearly stops, a numb lump forming in her throat. Standing there, in his torn costume and with burns covering a large portion of his body, is Bart Allen, the former Kid Flash.

Kid Flash: Why'd you have to go and get me killed?!

Ravager falls back to the ground again, holding a hand to her head and shaking it.

Ravager: No, no, not you, too. I didn't mean... it wasn't supposed to happen... I swear, I wasn't trying to...

Kid Flash: Oh sure, you didn't mean to, but that doesn't really help me, now does it? Look at what you did to me, Rose, look!

Closing her eye, she turns away and shakes her head, crouching lower and whimpering.

Ravager: I know what I did! Just... stop, please! I don't need this! Just go away!

And then more voices join, all chastising her. She flinches again, snapping her eye back open and daring to look up. There they are, the rest of the Teen Titans, all standing over and glaring down at her.

Red Robin: I told you not to go in, didn't I? But you disobeyed, and look what happened!

Wonder Girl: You are unbelievable, Rose. What the hell were you thinking?!

Superboy: You got a lot of people killed. You got our friend killed.

Raven: You should have known better... should have listened.

Beast Boy: Even when you try to do good, you just screw everything up. What's wrong with you?

Ravager closes her eye again, now holding both her palms up over her ears. She shakes her head, trying to make the hallucinations go away.

Ravager: Stop it! Stop it! Shut up!

Police Officer: Miss, calm down!

Letting out a sharp breath of air, she looks up again. The Teen Titans are gone, and in their place are a group of pedestrians watching curiously, as well as a couple GCPD police officers, their squad car parked just a short distance away.

Ravager: What are... who are you? What's going on?

Police Officer: Miss, you've been in an accident, you probably have a concussion. Just calm down, and we can get you some medical attention.

Though her heart is still pounding rapidly, Ravager lets her guard down. These aren't hallucinations, these are real people. They aren't here to frighten her... But as the officer reaches out to help her, his face suddenly twists into a horrible, deformed scowl. Instantly, she pulls back screaming.

Ravager: No, stay away!

Police Officer: Ma'am, please, just calm down. Don't do anything-

Ravager: No!

With another frantic yell, she spins around and delivers a hard kick to the newspaper dispenser, denting it inward.

Ravager: Just make it stop!

Suddenly, a dark figure descends from the rooftops and comes at her. Another nightmarish hallucination, she's sure. But she can't do anything to stop it before it stings her in the neck, releasing its venom into her. Within seconds, she feels her body slackening, relaxing. Then, everything goes dark.

Police Officer: Batman?

Batman: Everything's under control, Officer. Just a sedative.

Police Officer: Is she going to be alright? She took a pretty nasty fall.

Batman: She'll be okay; she's a lot more resilient than you'd think. She just needs to rest and recover.

Police Officer: So, then she's with you?

Batman: Yes.

Police Officer: Well, alright, I guess. But really, we should still get her to a hospital, and I'm gonna have to fill out a report on the crash and-

Batman: You just let me worry about it, Officer. Have a goodnight.

And with that, Batman makes his way over to the shadows of a nearby alley, carrying the sleeping Ravager in his arms. Another figure is in the alley waiting for him.

Robin: Well, she looks like she had one heck of a night. Amateur.

Batman: We need to get her back to the bunker, treat her injuries.

Robin: Looked like there was a little more wrong with her than just a few bumps and bruises.

Batman: Yes... seems like she was hallucinating. She was frightened, panicked.

Robin: Hmm... Scarecrow's fear gas, you think?

Batman: That would be my best guess, but we'll have to analyze a blood sample when we get back to be sure. And when she wakes up, she can tell us just what happened to her tonight.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter #5 Preview: How exactly did Rose get Kid Flash killed, and what implications did it have with her relationship with the rest of the Teen Titans? More is revealed in the next chapter!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By batkevin74

@Ravager4: Nice hallucination scene. I like the ride you're taking us on so far. Keep up the quality work

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rav4

@batkevin74: Thanks a lot, I really appreciate your comments. It's always nice to know that someone is enjoying your work, and so far you seem to be the only one, haha.

But, so long as I have at least one fan, I'll keep writing :)

Speaking of which, I've written too much more already xD I have like the next two or three chapters at the ready, but I really don't want to put up more than one a day, lol.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rav4

friendly bump

Time_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Time_Phantom

Well you can say you havwe a least two fans now. I love this character (never heard of Ravager till now. I thought she was someone you made up) she trys to do right but it all just goes south. But I'm cheering for her the whole time. Keep up the great work!

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rav4

@Time_Phantom: Yeah, Rose has been my favorite comic character for a long time now. She might not have as large a fanbase as, say, the Cassandra Cains or the Supergirls, but hey, she's awesome in my book

And thanks again for the comment, I'm just happy to be writing a story that people can enjoy :)