Rose Wilson: The Ravager #3

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By rav4

Continued From: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/the-ravager-2/659886/#4

Disclaimer: I do not own any DC characters or locations. All rights belong to DC Comics.

Rating: T+ some language and chemically induced hallucinations

Note: Part 3 of The Ravager, which I've now renamed to Rose Wilson: The Ravager. Why the change? I don't know, I felt like making the title pop a little more. Just maybe, it'll grab a few people's attention by letting them know exactly who's starring in this series.

Rose Wilson: The Ravager #3

Ext. Shipping Warehouse – Day

Rose drives her motorcycle up to the front of the warehouse, slowing to a stop and giving the front of the building a long look. Several men are outside, sitting by the entrance and playing cards on a small crate. Unlike last night, this time she's paying attention; she spots the top of a handgun stuffed into the back of one's pants. She presumes that they're all similarly equipped.

So, armed guards in front of a back alley shipping warehouse, down by the docks. Not suspicious at all.

After her initial inspection, she hits the throttle and closes the distance between her and the front of the building. She comes to a halt right in front of the men playing cards, then reaches up and removes her helmet. The thugs glance up at her warily, hands reaching for their firearms.

Thug: This ain't a place for pretty dames t'be wanderin'. Get goin' back the way ya came.

Rose: I'm here to see Danny; I called earlier.

The men's hands suddenly relax, moving away from their weapons. They give each other curious looks, whispering to each other for a couple moments. One of them nods commandingly, causing another to get up and head inside the warehouse to get Danny.

Thug: He'll be right out... y'know, when Danny said he was expectin' company, you ain't quite what I imagined.

Rose: Oh really, and what exactly did you imagine?

The man lets out an amused laugh, his lips curling into a lecherous grin.

Thug : Just, y'know... not you.

Rose rolls her eyes in annoyance, proceeding to now largely ignore him while she waits for Danny to arrive. Fortunately, she doesn't have to wait very long. The warehouse doors open a short moment later, with Danny walking into view. He smiles broadly, as he sees her.

Danny: Aha, I knew you'd be giving me a call. I just didn't expect it so soon, yeah? Welcome, welcome!

Rose: Well, you said it yourself, right? I got money problems.

Danny: Good, that's good. I mean, that you came to see us so soon. We just lost a few guys recently.

Rose: Lost a few guys... how exactly?

Danny: Nothing to worry about, I assure you. Let's just say, we had a bit of a... rodent problem. Now, come, come, I'll show you inside.

He leads her into the warehouse, bringing her past the loading docks and into the main storage area. Rose makes a mental note of everything she sees; mostly just various workers using forklifts and pallet jacks to move large crates around the building. So far, it looks like an ordinary warehouse, but there's something else going on behind the scenes, she knows. This is just the front.

Danny: So, we got a delivery going out soon, lot of boxes that need to be moved. I don't judge just because you're a woman; you look plenty strong enough to me. Think you can handle a bit of heavy lifting?

Rose: Not a problem.

Danny: Excellent, just what I like to hear. I think you'll fit in just fine around here.

Reaching a hand out, he gives her a friendly, firm pat on her left shoulder, right on top of her wrapped wound. A sudden, raw jolt of pain flares through her, but she makes no indication of it. She merely grits her teeth, choking down any audible utterance of pain she might have given. Taking a deep breath, she lets the dull throb work its way out and finally disappear.

Rose: So, judging from that card you gave me, I take it you work for Daggett Industries?

Danny: Yes, yes, right under Mr. Daggett himself, in fact. Right now, I'm in charge of overseeing most aspects of this operation, making sure that everything goes smoothly.

Rose: What operation is that, exactly?

Danny: Mr. Daggett has ordered a very large shipment from a particular supplier. I'm here to see that we get everything we need, and the supplier gets everything he needs.

Rose: Wait, if you're the ones that ordered the shipment, why are you making a delivery?

Danny: Ah, it's a little more complicated than your average order. Mr. Daggett ordered a very special product from an independent supplier. The only problem is that this certain product is difficult to make, and the materials are not usually readily obtainable. However, Daggett Industries possesses an ample supply of these materials. We provide the supplier with the materials, he uses them in the creation process, and we buy back the completed product at a discount.

Rose: I see... guess that makes sense, but why not just hire this supplier, whoever he is, and have him make the product for you directly?

Danny: We tried that, but he was very adamant about not being tied to any big business. Prefers his independent work, he said.

This entire operation has criminal activity written all over it, Rose is certain. There are too many oddities for it to be entirely legal. Now, she just needs to figure out what exactly this special 'product' is, and find a way to stop it, or at least a way to expose the operation itself.

Rose: And this shipment, what's in it that makes it so special?

Danny: Sorry, can't say. That information is restricted... just do your work and don't ask too many questions about it; you'll get your pay at the end of the day.

The two continue through the warehouse and head through the rear exit, where a windowless white van is already waiting; it's the same van from the night before. Sitting in the driver's seat is Gavin, who she recognizes from the bar yesterday. He's tapping his fingers on the steering wheel, impatiently.

Danny: Gavin, I got you some help. Make sure to get this to Mr. Crane on time, yeah?

Gavin's only response is a simple thumbs up. Danny gives him a flippant wave and turns back to Rose.

Danny: Alright, go with Gavin, help unload the delivery, then come back here and we'll see if we can find something else for you to do, alright?

Rose: Sure thing.

She gives him a quick wave, then heads around the other side of the van to get in the passenger side door. By the time she's buckling up, Gavin already has the engine started. Within seconds, he's shifting the van into gear and taking off.

Ext. Ace Chemical Processing Plant – Day

The van drives up to the front gates of Ace Chemicals, slowly coming to a halt. Gavin shifts into park, then hops out and hurries forward to open the gate, while Rose waits in the van. Rose leans forward in her seat, taking a good look at the chemical plant. The place looks more than a little run down, with a rusted exterior, dirty and broken windows, and chains padlocked across the main entrance. It's seen better days.

Once the gate is open, Gavin returns to the van and drives through, stopping briefly to close the gate again behind him, and then continuing around towards the back of the plant.

Rose: If I didn't know any better, I'd say this place was closed down.

Gavin doesn't say anything, instead shrugging his shoulders. Raising an eyebrow, Rose folds her arms and leans back in her seat.

Rose: You're not very big on conversation, are you?

Again, no response. Rose releases an audible sigh and turns her attention out the window, as the van moves past large storage tanks behind more locked gates. Signs in front of the metal fences warn of electrical danger, though she doubts they're still active. The van finally rumbles to a stop just outside a small, fenced off area behind the main building of the chemical plant. Strings of barbed wire coil around the top of the fence, and the door beyond that leads into the building is large, heavy, made of metal.

Gavin: Wait here.

Rose: Sure, now you talk.

Tapping her fingers absently against the passenger side door, Rose watches Gavin get out of the van and make his way through the small gate of the fence. He stops in front of the heavy door and pounds his fist firmly against it several times, then waits. Several moments later, the door pushes outward, opening. Two men are on the other side, both equipped with automatic weapons strapped over their shoulders. After a brief conversation, thy two men eventually give Gavin a nod of confirmation and wave him on inside. He hurries back to the van and gives Rose a gesture to get out.

Gavin: Now, we bring the boxes inside.

He opens the rear doors of the van, revealing a stack of twenty sturdy boxes. When he picks one up, the contents within clank against each other, and Rose listens carefully to the sound. Sounds like... some kind of metal containers holding liquid inside, maybe. She can't be entirely sure from the sound alone. Grabbing one of the boxes, she heaves it into her arms and follows Gavin into the building.

Int. Ace Chemical Processing Plant – Day

Though her left arm is weakened at the moment, coupled with strong throbs of pain, her enhanced strength compensates, enabling her to show no signs of injury while carrying the heavy load. However, she can feel the warmth of blood beginning to ooze out from beneath the wrapping, a direct result of the strain. Fortunately, her leather jacket hides that, as well.

As they make their way through the chemical plant, Rose observes the activities inside carefully. Though the place has been shut down for over a decade, someone has decided to set up shop. She notices several more armed guards like the ones from before walking around and supervising, while other men in white coveralls, rubber gloves, and breather masks, handle various chemicals.

Gavin: Over here.

He turns a corner and leads them into an area off to the side of all the work. One of the armed men is waiting there for them.

Henchman: Stack the boxes right over here, neatly against the wall. Emphasis on neatly. And make sure you're careful; we don't want any accidents like last time.

Gavin: We'll be plenty careful.

Henchman: Good... then hurry up and get out of here.

Gavin: First, Mr. Daggett wants to know how production is coming. He's getting impatient.

Henchman: It's going just fine. This stuff isn't exactly easy to make, you know; it's not a simple process, and after the last time the boss got busted, he lost his entire stock. He's doing things the best he can with what you're giving him.

Rose looks over from setting down her box, her intrigue peaked. Her hunch is only further proven at the mention of this guy's boss being 'busted' in the past. Definitely illegal activity.

Gavin: Just make sure this stuff gets out soon.

Henchman: Uh huh. Now, get moving; the boss is watching.

The two men glance up towards the catwalks above. Rose's gaze follows, where she spots a tall, lanky figure standing in the shadows of the dimly lit building. She tries to get a good look at him, make out any features she can, but Gavin interrupts her.

Gavin: Come on, we have more boxes to move.

Rose looks back at Gavin, who's already heading back out to the van. She begins to follow him, while taking another brief glance up at the catwalk; the shadowy figure is gone.

Looks like you have some work to do tonight, Rose.

Int. Ace Chemical Processing Plant – Night

Getting inside had been easy enough; for all the effort taken to securely lock all the entrances and exits, nothing had been done to cover up the many broken windows on the second story of the building. With her agility and skill, reaching one of those many entry points had been easy. Granted, her injury still throbs painfully, and she can feel the fresh wrapping already beginning to soak through, but she pushes through it. Now isn't a time to let a little scratch slow her down.

She had contemplated informing Batman and the other vigilantes of Gotham about what she'd discovered earlier that day, but instead had decided against it. There are plenty of other crimes that they can be stopping, and this isn't anything she can't handle herself.

As she lands quietly on on of the upper level landings, she takes a moment to make sure that her Ravager costume is securely in place, from the mask to the swords adorning her back. When satisfied, she quickly moves throughout the dark chemical plant, keeping low and in the shadows. She remembers the general layout of the place from earlier, and navigating through the straight corridors is easy enough.

Slowly easing open a set of doors, she peers into the room beyond, allowing a moment for her eyes to adjust. She recognizes it as the main processing area, where she and Gavin delivered the boxes. Her goal right now is to find those boxes and get a good look at whatever is inside. Maybe with a little information on what materials they're using, she can later figure out what they're producing.

Moving along the catwalks, she pays careful attention to the area below. A few dim lights are on, casting long shadows around the corners of various machinery. Though the workers handling chemicals have apparently all gone home, she still sees quite a few armed henchman roaming around the area. Whoever is running this operation isn't taking any chances with intruders, no matter what time of day.

Ravager navigates the network of catwalks until she discovers the stack of boxes that she helped deliver. There are significantly fewer than before, with the contents of most of them likely already having been used up. But, there is still enough for her to investigate. Dropping down gracefully to the floor below, she quickly presses herself up against the side of a chemical vat, watching as a guard's shadow gradually approaches from around the corner.

Being as silent as humanly possible, she subdues the man when he comes into view, swinging a well placed palm chop to his neck. He goes down instantly, falling like a bag of bricks. She catches him to keep him from making any excess noise, then lays him down gently out of the light. With no other thugs in the immediate vicinity, she at last makes her way to the stacked boxes. While she can rip apart the thick cardboard like tissue paper, she doesn't; that will only alert the other men of her presence. Instead, she swiftly draws one of her blades and uses the razor edge to cut through the tape of one box, allowing her to open it normally.

Ravager's eyes narrow at the contents within. Reaching inside, she lifts out a small, torpedo shaped canister, the only opening of which is a small valve at one end. Rolling it over in her hands, she notices a label with a skull and crossbones on it, as well as an exclamation point inside a red diamond. She shakes it, hears the sloshing of liquid inside.

Don't know what kind of chemicals these are, she thinks to herself, but it must be some pretty heavy duty stuff, if the warning labels are anything to go by. Question is, what are they using it to make?

Before she can contemplate any further, however, she is interrupted.

Gunman #1: Hey! Who the %&$# are you?!

Ravager's gaze snaps towards the direction of the voice to see one of the armed men standing about ten paces away from her. He's already starting to raise his gun.

Ravager: Oh, hell.

By the time he gets his shots off, she's already darting back into the shadows. The man runs forward, looking around frantically, but he doesn't see her. Before long, he's joined by a few of his buddies.

Gunman #1: $#%&!

Gunman #2: What is it? The hell you shooting at?

Gunman #1: I don't know, some chick in a crazy looking costume. I think it's one of those Bat freaks!

Gunman #3: %&$# man, are you serious?

Gunman #4: Alright, no big deal, just spread out and find her. We got the guns, remember?

Gunman #1: Yeah, right, of course. Sorry, she just spooked me, is all.

Gunman #4: Just get your head in the game, man.

A few seconds later, the men split up, spreading out in various directions to cover the entire power chemical plant. Unfortunately, splitting up is the worst thing they could have done. Ravager is an expertly trained fighter, with enhanced physical attributes and a precog ability to alert her of attacks before they happen. These guys are nothing but a bunch of scared thugs with guns. They don't have a chance.

Ravager doubles back around the processing area, sticking closely to the shadows. She moves silently, her footsteps light. Then, she begins taking them out one by one. She actually fights at her best when surrounded and forced to pull out all the stops, but this works just as well. Pouncing out from the darkness and brutally taking down each man with crippling knockout blows is almost as satisfying.

The first two are relatively quiet take downs. The third one, however, manages to get a couple of shots off before she brings the handle of her sword down on the top of his skull. The remaining gunman turns around frantically at the sound, his eyes darting to and from each shadow like a nervous kitten.

Gunman #1: Guys? You there?

He eases forward, keeping his weapon pointed in front of him with his finger already brushing against the trigger, ready to fire at a moment's notice.

Gunman #1: Hey, come on, somebody say something!

The last thing he sees before everything goes dark is a white haired figure lunging down at him from above. He screams, feels a powerful blow explode at the back of his neck, and then goes down. Ravager looks at his unconscious body briefly, then marches back toward the canisters she had been examining before.

Ravager: Should have just done that from the start... this Dark Knight stuff is easy.

As she kneels down again to reinspect the chemical containers, a precognitive flash runs through her head. She sees someone coming at her from behind, a hand lunging forward at her. She's already turning around, crouched low and bringing her own fist around to strike the would-be attacker.

Ravager: Sneaking up on me? Don't even think-

But before her fist can connect, she turns face-first into a green cloud. Instantly, she reels back and begins coughing, as the gas, or mist, or whatever it is, begins to burn the inside of her nostrils. It takes her only a few moments to recover from the initial shock, though her eye then begins to water as the chemicals get in under her mask. Her vision starts to go blurry.

Ravager: The hell?

A grating, rather horrifying voice speaks out to her, the very sound causing her heart to thump faster and faster.

Voice: That's it, take a deep breath. Let the fear consume you.

Stumbling back a few steps, she turns towards the voice, having to strain her vision to see. The entire building around her appears to be quivering, squirming. Are those cockroaches skittering along the walls? Thousands and thousands of cockroaches... and the floor is beginning to spread with thick pools of blood, with crimson droplets raining up toward the ceiling, against gravity.

She knows that none of this can be happening... it's too bizarre, too unreal. Yet, she sees it all plain as day, and it makes her heart pound in her chest. Is she losing her mind?

Voice: How does it feel? Is your hair standing on end? Has your heart leapt into your throat?

That's when she sees him. Or it. Her entire body tingles with a sudden quiver of fear, as the figure looms above her, some kind of horrible abomination. It has limbs made of straw, covered by old, tattered clothing, and a head of burlap fashioned into a hideously twisted face, complete with bugs and maggots crawling out of its eyes and mouth.

The creature takes a step forward, and Ravager takes a step back. She wants to turn and flee, but her body doesn't obey her will; ice cold fear has gripped her heart, and it isn't letting go.

Ravager: Wh-what... what are you?

Voice: I am the thing that lurks in every dark corner of your mind, the thing you try desperately to outrun in your nightmares-

The abomination leans in close, grinning; a cockroach falls out of its left eye hole and lands on the floor.

Voice: -I am the Scarecrow!

Ravager lets out a desperate cry, lurching away as the Scarecrow reaches out for her. She crawls backwards hurriedly, trying to get as far from it as possible. Her heart only beats harder, faster.

Scarecrow: Tell me... are you afraid?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter #4 Preview: It's Ravager vs. The Scarecrow! Can Rose overcome her fear and uncover the true meaning behind his partnership with Daggett Industries? Also, what event led to her leaving the Teen Titans in the first place, inevitably bringing her to Gotham? Find out in the next chapter of Rose Wilson: The Ravager.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By batkevin74

@Ravager4: Nice work! This is a comic book yet to happen. Also loving that Scarecrow and Ravager are going to throw down

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rav4

@batkevin74 said:

@Ravager4: Nice work! This is a comic book yet to happen. Also loving that Scarecrow and Ravager are going to throw down

Thanks again, glad you're enjoying it! I always thought Rose should have her own series, but it hasn't happened yet. So, I decided to just go ahead and write one myself.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By rav4

friendly bump!

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Project_Worm

@Ravager4: Woo! Rose vs Scarecrow! Pretty sweet!

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rav4

@Project_Worm: thanks again :)