Rose Wilson: The Ravager #19

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By rav4

Previous Chapters: http://www.comicvine.com/forums/fan-fic/8/ravager4s-fan-fic-archives/660884/#1

Disclaimer: I do not own any DC characters or locations. All rights belong to DC Comics.

Rating: T+

Note: Well this chapter finishes up the current story arc, which is weird because I didn't think it actually would, but oh well. The next chapter will begin the next arc, even though a sub plot from the end is directly carried over into the next one, so yeah. Speaking of which, my writing took a really strange turn as I was finishing up, so the ending is completely different than I thought it was going to be, which is both good and bad. I mean, I like surprising myself with what I write sometimes, and my plots almost never go exactly as intended, though this time it kind of left me scratching my head and wondering if it was the right direction to go... well, you'll see it when you read it. On the one hand, it has the potential to cause some interesting drama and conflict, and on the other hand, it also has the potential to come across as dumb if not handled correctly, so I guess I'll just have to see what happens.

Rose Wilson: The Ravager #19

Ext. Construction Site – Night

Ravager takes in a deep breath and glances to her side for a moment. With Deadshot here, things are definitely more complicated, especially if Shiva decides to keep fighting her. She looks back at the woman again, ready to make a move just in case. However, Shiva is sitting on the ground, a hand pressed to her shoulder and a scowl on her face.

Lady Shiva: I hate having my fights interrupted.

Ravager: You hit?

Lady Shiva: It is minor, I'll be fine. However, I would be dead had you not knocked me out of the way of the first shot, which you did so even though I was about to kill you.

Ravager: Please, I had a counter already worked out.

Lady Shiva: But why save me?

Ravager: Because I'm the one trying to save lives, not end them. Now, can you stand or what? We got a madman with a gun breathing down our necks and we're both in bad shape.

Lady Shiva: Of course I can stand.

Pushing herself back up to her feet, Shiva leans against the rubble pile, taking in a deep breath. The gunshot may just be a flesh wound, but it's still painful, and she's still losing blood from it.

Deadshot: Ladies, ladies, you're not seriously gonna make me come find you, are you? Come on out and give me a challenge, make it interesting.

Lady Shiva: We will need to work together, or he will kill both of us.

Ravager: I can agree on that, for now. Don't suppose you have a plan?

Lady Shiva: One of us could draw his fire, while the other climbs the beams up to his vantage point to strike when he is distracted.

Ravager: No, can't sneak up on him. Believe me, I tried that already. We'll need to bring him down to us, without getting shot in the process.

Lady Shiva: Can you keep him occupied for a moment?

Ravager: Uh... I can try, yeah. Why?

Reaching down beside her, Shiva picks up a long steel pipe with her good arm. She tests its weight for a moment, eventually deciding that it's just right.

Lady Shiva: I know how to bring him down.

Ravager: Fine, just don't miss. I don't really feel like getting shot. Again.

Waiting a few moments, Ravager eases her way to the side of the rubble pile. Then, she darts out of cover and starts racing across the construction site, in spite of the pain her body is in. She's relying on her precog to keep herself alive here, ducking and rolling and lunging away from the incoming shots accordingly, before they happen. If not for that ability of hers, every single one of those shots would have hit, most of them probably being fatal.

Deadshot: Like trying to shoot a grasshopper on crack... Hold still you little....

Ravager positions herself behind a large beam, taking cover. A close shot zips right by her ear, as she vanishes from Deadshot's sight. By now, his back is turned to where Ravager had started from, his focus on trying to put down the one trying to run for it. He already hit the other woman once, he can finish her off later. However, with his attention drawn away, he doesn't notice Shiva coming out of cover now with the steel pipe pulled back in her good arm.

With a small grunt, Shiva whips her arm forward and tosses the pipe with pinpoint accuracy. Deadshot's enhanced hearing picks up the object as it flies through the air, causing him to turn back around in surprise. By the time he sees the pipe spinning at him, it's too late for him to get out of the way. The best he can do is hold his arms up to try and protect himself from most of the impact, though the resulting blow pushes him just enough to send him toppling over the edge of the girder.

Deadshot: Son of a b-

His words are cut off when he lands on another girder below, smacking off of it and then spinning down to the ground, where he lands with a thud. Fortunately, his protective bodysuit absorbs most of the force, though the suit itself is badly damaged from the fall. Grunting, he slowly pushes himself back up to his hands and knees. His senses come back to him just in time to see Ravager charging, allowing him to roll back and take a couple shots at her.

The first shot misses, but the second one he places in a spot where even she can't dodge completely. It strikes her left arm, but does little to actually slow her down since her armor is bullet proof. He's forced to engage her in hand to hand, not his strong point. The only thing that enables him to hold is own for a short while is the fact that Ravager has already been worn down from her fight with Shiva, leaving her slower and in pain.

This doesn't last long, though, as Ravager finally manages to put him down with a hard shot to the face. Before he can get back up, Shiva comes in a flying kick to the back of the head. This time, he topples forward and doesn't try to get back up, lying there and groaning. Letting out a deep breath, Ravager falls back against a nearby pillar and bows her head.

Lady Shiva: I don't think he'll get up for a while.

Ravager: I'd better find something to tie him up with, anyway. He's my link to Rupert Thorne's involvement in this, plus two other crime bosses. I can't risk him getting away again.

Lady Shiva: In that case, I will take my leave now.

Ravager: What, not gonna try and kill me first?

Lady Shiva: Our battle was interrupted and its outcome tainted. Finishing it now would be in pointless, and would not tell me what I needed to know from it.

Ravager: And what would that be?

Lady Shiva: Which one of us is the better?

Ravager: You seemed pretty confident that I wasn't on your level earlier.

Lady Shiva: And you proved me wrong by holding your own, even evading my leopard blow. Granted, you did so by saving my life in the process, but it still leaves the results inconclusive. In a way, I suppose I am pleased that we were not able to finish this fight now.

Ravager: And why's that?

Lady Shiva: Because you still have a lot to learn. Your skill is still growing, and I see a lot of potential in you. In time, I think you could very well surpass me, just as my daughter did when she reached her full potential. If I had killed you tonight, though, we would never know.

Ravager: And I suppose you do want to know?

Lady Shiva: You are correct. Once you have further improved, I wish to test myself against you again to determine which one truly is better.

Ravager: You just say when, and I'll be glad to put you in your place.

Going quiet for a few moments, Shiva walks over to where she left her coat and picks it up, putting it back on.

Lady Shiva: One year to the day. Look for me to contact you then.

Ravager: A year, huh? Works for me.

Lady Shiva: Very well. In that case, I bid you a farewell for now. Until we meet again.

So, any reason you're letting one of the deadliest assassins in the world just walk away from you, Rose? she asks herself, as she watches Shiva leave. You should be taking her in, not planning to fight her again in a year.

The answer to that is simple: curiosity. Shiva isn't the only one who wants that question answered, and Ravager isn't one to back down from a challenge, either.

I just hope she's ready for me a year from now, because I'm only gonna to get better.

Int. Silverstone City Central Police Station – Night

The next week is hectic at the station. After a bound and unconscious Deadshot, armed and in full costume, inexplicably showed up on their doorstep, they had been working overtime to try and figure out just what was going on. Namely, why was Floyd Lawton, a well known killer and highly wanted man, in Silverstone, and who had hired him? Also, who took him down and dropped him off at the police station? Rumors circulated that it must have been The Blade, though some had their doubts. After all, how could a regular citizen take down one of the deadliest assassins in the world? Unless, of course, The Blade wasn't just an ordinary person like they all believed her to be.

Eventually, interrogators got Lawton to talk in exchange for a deal, and in turn he implicated Rupert Thorne as the one who hired him. Along with the confession came a bank record showing Thorne's down payment as proof. The former crime boss was brought in just hours later for the crime, and further digging uncovered the rest of his underhanded operations. Thorne tried to bring Emilia and Frankie down with him, but with no evidence to back up his testimony that those two had also hired assassins to kill The Blade, they get off scott free.

Now, though, things have quieted down for the most part. The Deadshot/Thorne case is all wrapped up, and things return to normal around the station. Standing in front of her locker, Rose calmly dresses out of her uniform, ready to get off for the day. Hiding the injuries she had sustained at the hands of Lady Shiva had been a bit of a challenge, but fortunately her marginally accelerated healing had reduced the visibility of most of the minor cuts and bruises over Sunday.

By the time she came in the following Monday, she could hide whatever was left with a bit of well placed make-up (probably the first time she'd ever even bothered to wear make-up at all). At least this way, it didn't look like she'd had the crap beaten out of her again, especially just a few days after having that whole conversation about it with Becky. That had been a week ago, though. By now, her body is back to one hundred percent.

As she starts getting her clothes together so she can go hit the showers before leaving, the locker next to hers closes, revealing Becky standing there with her arms folded casually over her chest.

Becky: Trying to duck out early?

Rose: What? No, of course not. Just... really needed a shower. It's been a long day.

Becky: Mhm. You haven't forgotten what today is, though, have you?

Rose: Uh... Monday?

Becky: Very funny.

Rose: I'm sorry, I really have no idea...

Becky: Dios mio, I swear there's something wrong in that noggin of yours. It's your birthday, girl!

Rose: My... oh, yeah. I honestly forgot.

Becky: Forgetting your own birthday, that's a new one.

Rose: Yeah, well things have just been a little crazy around here lately, completely slipped my mind. But what about my birthday, anyway?

Becky: Come on, I told you we were doing something together, didn't I? Wasn't just blowing smoke when I said that. You and me, tonight, we'll go out, have a good time, celebrate; I'm gonna make your birthday special.

Rose: You're serious?

Becky: Of course I'm serious, girl, why wouldn't I be?

Rose: It's just... I don't know, guess I'm not really used to people making a big deal over my birthday.

Becky: Well then I guess you've just never had a friend quite like me, now have you?

Rose can't help but utter a genuinely amused laugh.

Rose: Yeah, you don't know the half of it. But still, I don't know, I mean I have Holly to look after...

Becky: Oh come on. You'll come up with any excuse not to go out, won't you? Hire a sitter. I'm sure you can manage one night, ah?

Rose: Well, it's just a little short notice to find a sitter. Mrs. Silva isn't available after six, and I don't know any others who-

Becky: Then my sister will watch her. She's great with kids, and she lives over on the other side of the city. I can have her over your place at any time, she's not doing anything else tonight.

Rose: Uh... well, I guess.

Becky: Perfect! In that case, I'll pick you up around seven, ah?

Rose: Yeah, sure, seven. Sounds good.

Becky: Trust me, you won't regret it.

Ext. Silverstone City Streets – Night

Celebrating her birthday isn't something that Rose is very accustomed to, at least not for quite a few years. Ever since meeting her father, which sent her down into that dark period of her life, it was always just another day. She can't even remember the last time she had a birthday cake, definitely not since her mother was alive. All those facts in consideration, she really hadn't been expecting much out of tonight. However, she ended up enjoying herself a lot more than she thought she would.

As discussed before, Becky had brought her down to the restaurant on Levitt Street, where she had boasted about the the best burgers in the city. Rose had to admit, the burgers were indeed quite good. Of course, towards the end of the meal, Becky had to go and mention to the waitstaff that it was Rose's birthday, which resulted in a little chocolate cake with a candle in it, and a group of people singing 'Happy Birthday' to her.

While she felt like punching the entire staff throughout the ordeal, she never once felt ill about it towards Becky, who was just having her fun. A few years ago she might have gone and flipped the table on her, then stormed out of the restaurant in annoyance, but that was the old her. The old her didn't really have a best friend, not like this. She couldn't be mad at Becky for something that stupid, even if she did want to kill someone during the entire song.

Following dinner, Becky took her down to the local ice rink to try out some ice skating, something she'd never actually done before (because really, when is there ever time to ice skate when you're fighting crime?). Still, Becky was adamant that Rose try something new, and at that point she couldn't really say no. What she discovered from the experience is that she is a terrible ice skater. All her enhanced attributes, training, and skill are nothing when strapped to a pair of blades and sliding over frozen water. No matter how much Becky tried to help her, she ended up crashing and burning more than a few times.

Still, as much as Rose ultimately decided she hated ice skating, she somehow managed to enjoy herself, if only because of Becky constantly making witty quips on her failure, giving her opportunity to shoot back snarky remarks of her own. Witty banter between friends: 1, ice skating: 0. From the ice rink, they went down to the local bowling alley, something else Rose had never tried before. She honestly couldn't understand how people could find fun in rolling a ball at a bunch of white sticks. However, when she discovered just how amazing she was at the game, she suddenly changed her tune. In the end, she beat Becky by about a hundred points.

With all that behind them now, though, and the night drawing to a close, the two women walk together down the night street, heading back to Rose's home. They stop briefly at an ice cream stand, buying a cone each, and then continue on their way. The air is crisp, maybe a little chilly, but the night sky is clear and calm.

Becky: So, and be honest now, was that not the best birthday you've ever had?

Rose: Honestly? Well... actually, it was.

Raising an eyebrow, Becky gives her an odd look.

Becky: I was only joking, I swear.

Rose: I wasn't kidding before when I said people have never really made a big deal out of my birthday. It's just... never been different than any other day for me, really.

Becky: For real? Even when you were growing up?

Rose: Well, I mean maybe I got a cake and a present when I was growing up with my mom, but I never went out and did anything special. Then when she died, I ended up in my dad's care and... well, let's just say he was never one to bother with cakes and presents.

Becky: So you've never had a big party, or gone out and celebrated, or anything like that?

Rose: Nope.

Becky: Qué mierda, that's just not right.

Rose: Maybe, but it's all I ever knew.

Becky: Guess that just makes this day all the more special then, ah?

Rose: Could have done without the singing, or falling on my ass ten dozen times, but... yeah, I suppose it does.

Becky: Ha, next thing you'll tell me is you've never even had a best friend!

A brief moment of silence passes between them, as Rose occupies herself with her ice cream cone. She doesn't need to say anything; her non-response says enough.

Becky: Get out, you're kidding.

Rose: Don't get me wrong, I've had... friends. Sort of. A couple good ones, even. But as far as 'best friend', as you'd define it, not really.

Becky: Wow, rough life?

Rose: That's... one way of putting it, yeah. Rough.

Becky: Ya veo... but hey, at least now you got me, ah?

A small laugh escapes Rose's lips, followed by a genuine smile.

Rose: You're a lot more fun than I would have thought, I'll say that much.

Becky: So then you did have a good time.

Rose: I know, I'm shocked, too.

Becky: In that case, we should do this again. You know, go out?

Rose: Uh... sure. Actually, yeah. I'd like that.

Int. Rose's Penthouse Suite – Night

Rose opens the door to her penthouse, followed by Becky. It's dark inside, and mostly quiet except for the sound of the television on in the living room.

Becky: Abby, hey, we're back.

A few moments later, a pint-sized woman emerges from around the corner. She looks just like a mini Rebecca, but with shorter hair and smaller features. This is Becky's sister, a couple years younger and about a foot shorter.

Abby: Oh, hey, you two have fun?

Becky: Of course we did, I mean I was there.

Rose: How's Holly? She didn't give you any trouble did she?

Abby: Heck no, that kid's a damn angel. I've babysat a few kids in my day, and they were terrors, every last one of them. But Holly, sweetest girl I ever met.

Rose: Yeah, that definitely sounds like her. She sleeping?

Abby: Like a baby.

Rose: Alright, good. Hold on, let me pay you.

Reaching into her wallet, she pulls out a fifty and passes it over to Abby.

Abby: It's been a pleasure, but now I think I should be going. I'll leave you two girls... alone.

And with that, she quickly heads out of the suite, giving a small wave as she disappears out the door. Closing the door behind her, Rose then makes her way into the kitchen with Becky.

Rose: So, you want a drink or anything? I got... well, I got beer. Unless you want orange juice.

Becky: What's that now? Oh girl, you're only twenty, you know. Am I going to have to slap my cuffs on you?

Rose: Very funny, you want one or not?

Becky: Hook me up.

Pulling out a couple of beers from the fridge, Rose passes one to Becky and then heads into the living room. Letting out a long sigh, she plops herself down on the couch and sticks her feet up on the coffee table. Becky sits down next to her, though curls her legs up on the couch instead of resting them on the table.

Becky: So, you seriously afford this place on a cop's salary?

Rose: Well, uh... no, not really. My, um, uncle pays for it.

Becky: So you have a rich uncle?

Rose: Something like that.

Becky: Wow, never thought I'd meet someone with an actual rich relative. Not complaining about the set up, though. I mean, damn, this place is nice.

Rose: Yeah, tell me about it.

Taking a swig of her beer, Rose leans back more against the couch and stretches her legs out, trying to loosen a few tight knots in her back.

Becky: So... you really did have a good time tonight?

Rose: I told you I did, didn't I?

Becky: Yeah, I know... just checking. I, uh... I had a really good time, too.

At that moment, Becky's hand drifts over slowly and comes to rest on Rose's thigh. She's leaning closer now. Glancing over at her friend, Rose raises a curious eyebrow.

Rose: Uh, Beck, what are-

In quite possibly the last thing she was expecting to happen, Rose's words are cut off by Becky's lips coming into contact with her own. For the briefest of moments, she sits there like an idiot, dumbfounded. Then, she hurriedly pulls back, eye wide.

Rose: Becky, what the- what are you doing?

Seeming genuinely surprised at this reaction, Becky blinks back at her, confused.

Becky: I'm... well, I- I mean I was...

Rose: Becky, hold on. You're...?

Becky: Yes? I thought... I thought you knew I was- wait, you're not?

Rose: Uh, I don't... mean, I've never really... well, no.

Quickly, Becky springs off the couch and holds her hands up to her head, looking utterly flabbergasted.

Becky: Oh Dios mio! You're serious? Oh my... Oh I'm sorry, I'm so- Oh, stupid, stupid, stupid! Rule number one, Becky, don't make a move if you're not completely sure! I just thought, I mean... I mean you just seemed so... and you said you weren't into men, and, and-

Putting her beer down, Rose stands up as well, giving Becky a confused look.

Rose: I... meant I was more not into being involved in a relationship... at this point in my life. I didn't mean... wait, did I really come across as...?

Becky: Well, sure, you- I mean, no! No, I didn't mean that, it's just... well I thought that we were close, and you liked me, and then there was tonight, and, and-

Rose: Tonight... wait, was this whole thing supposed to be a date?

Becky: I thought it was obvious! I, I mean I thought I was clear, I was trying to... to get closer, and- and I was flirting with you all night, for Christ's sake!

Rose: I thought you were just being nice. I wasn't... thinking about it that way. I had no idea you were...

In retrospect, now that she is thinking about it that way, it leaves her wondering just how the hell she didn't pick up on it before.

Becky: Oh hijo de puta, I'm sorry, I'm such an idiot. Sh*t, I should go, I should really go, I- I shouldn't be here now.

Rose blinks a couple times, watching as Becky quickly starts heading for the door. It takes her a few moments to react, mostly because she's still utterly astonished at the current situation.

Rose: Becky, wait, hold on!

But Becky isn't listening. Within seconds, the woman is out of the penthouse and hurrying down the hall to the elevator. Rose contemplates chasing after her for a moment, but really, what would she say? Instead, she continues standing there, staring at the open door.

Did that... seriously just happen?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter #20 Preview: Rose's daily life just got a bit more complicated with Becky's surprising admission, but while she struggles to figure out how to handle this situation, someone else is watching her closely, someone who knows about her crime fighting secret. When the people closest to her are threatened, Rose will have to make a difficult choice about her future as Ravager.

Time_Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Time_Phantom

In one word, Bravo! Great compelling read. The very end was so surprising... I mean the hospital scene a couple chapters back had me thinking Becky liked Rose in a more than a friend way, but I totally dismissed it as her concern as a cop taking over. Can't wait for next chapter... good thing you post almost daily don't think I could wait a week for next chapter.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By rav4

@Time_Phantom: Ah, thanks for the comment, glad you liked it. Was a little worried the end would have seemed to come kind of out of left field, but as I was writing it, things just sort of made sense and fell into place that way, especially when going back over how I'd written Rose and Becky's past interactions. Good to know I wasn't the only one thinking it, though, haha. Though, I haven't really determined just where I'm going to go with it yet, or whether or not Rose will reciprocate (if she does, it certainly won't be at first). With the events playing out in the following story arc, though, Rose will be going through a lot of emotional conflict, part of which pertains to this, so really anything can happen at this point (I'm always open to suggestions, too). As for the next chapter, yeah be sure to look for it tomorrow. I'm already working on it now, lol.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By batkevin74

@Ravager4: Similar to what happened to Cassandra way back in Batgirl but still really good. And then there was a L? :) Nicely done

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rav4

@batkevin74: lol, can't say I'm familiar with whatever it is you're referring to xD What happened to Cassandra?

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By batkevin74

@Ravager4: Oh way back Batgirl she and Shiva threw down and Shiva let her live and came back a year later to kill her, similar type of scenario here...and if you hadn't read it; nice guessing that she'd do something like that!

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By rav4

@batkevin74: Aha, yeah I haven't actually read that, though I think I might have heard about it in passing. I did try to look up what I could on Shiva so I could write her correctly, though I haven't actually read a comic with her in it.

on a side note, I thought you were referring to the ending when you said something similar happened to cass, lol. That's what had me confused.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By batkevin74

@Ravager4: No as far as I know, no big L action for Cassandra or Shiva for that matter :)

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By rav4

@batkevin74: Haha, gottya. only in fan fictions right?